Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedRushfan4's New CD Thread 9 - Roswell Six

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rushfan4's New CD Thread 9 - Roswell Six
    Posted: March 01 2010 at 10:53
In continuation of my meager attempt to divert some PA forum discussion time away from Porcupine Tree, Dream Theater and the other usual suspects, here is my 9th installment of Rushfan4's New CD Discussion Thread.  The Shadow Circus thread was relatively successful as I enjoyed learning more about the album than I might otherwise have learned, so maybe something similar can occur with this one.  This month's album is Roswell Six's Terra Incognita: Beyond The Horizon.  There is one slight deviation from my devious plan to divert attention from bands such as Dream Theater, because James LaBrie is one of the vocalists on this album.  This is in fact an album performed by a prog rock all-star team.  The vocalists are James LaBrie, Lana Lane, Michael Sadler from Saga, and John Payne from Asia and GPS.  The album is produced by keyboard player Erik Norlander.  Guitars are by Gary Wehrkamp from Shadow Gallery.  Bass guitar is Kurt Barabas from Amaran's Plight, amongst others.  The drummer is Chris Quirarte from Prymary.  Also involved are Kansas' David Ragsdale on violin, IQ's Martin Orford on flute, and Chris Brown from Ghost Circus.  The album's concept was written by and is based on a novel by bestselling Sci-Fi author Kevin J. Anderson and his wife Rebecca Moesta.  There is a companion novel to go along with the CD.  I haven't purhased or read that yet, but I am certainly intrigued and it is on my to-do list. 

The tagline is "Sailing ships.  Sea monsters. A clash of religions.  And a love that will reach to the edge of the world". 

Here is a link to their PA page,  http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=4479 where you can listen to the song Here Be Monsters. 

I've given this album a few listens now and have really enjoyed it.  I think that fans of the above listed musicians would probably enjoy this album as well.  In my mind, this is the sort of album that should appeal to fans of traditional prog and concept albums.  If you found yourself enjoying Porcupine Tree's The Incident and Transatlantic's Whirlwind, then I do believe that this here is an album for you.

Shawn Gordon from ProgRock Records is the Executive producer on this album.  It is available for purchase on ProgRock records website.  Shawn is offering a deal for PA members who would like to purchase a physical CD.  Under promotion codes enter "2009" and you will receive $2 off on your purchase. http://www.progrockrecords.com/shop/view.php?id=188&PHPSESSID=a87847eca49b9a49bba4ece1a65e45b7  There are also multiple reviews on the website for you to peruse before purchasing.

The album can also be downloaded from Mindawn in either Flac or OGG format.  http://www.mindawn.com/search.php?PHPSESSID=215a3f78322afd017bd310ce9b4405b6&s=roswell+six  It is also my understanding from past posts from Shawn, that the music can actually be listened to a couple of times on Mindawn before you purchase it.  Therefore, you can decide whether or not the music fits your tastes or not.

There are actually 11 ratings from PA users on this album, so check out those reviews to see what you think.  Hopefully, some of those reviewers will see this thread and also participate.  Please use this thread to discuss your thoughts on this album. Your likes and dislikes regarding the music and the lyrics, etc...  I look forward to what I hope will be an active and lengthy discussion.

In case you missed the first eight installments of the New CD discussion thread please check them out here at these links as I am more than happy to go back to these threads and further discuss them with anyone who is interested:

Knifeworld - Buried Alone: Tales of Crushing Defeat -  http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=62529&PID=3457937#3457937

I should note that for those who frown about these things, I am not a representative of any of these bands.  I do not get paid to endorse them.  All of these albums are albums that I purchased as downloads.  Actually, I did purchase the Roswell Six CD from ProgRock records, so it wasn't a download.  They are all albums that I have really enjoyed and therefore I am trying to bring them to the attention of PA members so that they may enjoy them to.  Obviously, I can't guarantee that anyone else will like these albums since it is all a matter of taste, but I have a feeling that there are some of you out there who will. LOL 

I should also mention that although I am a Collaborator here at PA, this thread and recommendation is made entirely independently of my duties as a PA collaborator, and is also totally independent of the PA Artist of the Month that is endorsed by M@x, the site's owner. 

Edited by rushfan4 - March 02 2010 at 16:14
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2010 at 11:14
As a caveat, I would like to post Windhawk's review of this album as I do have a feeling that it will probably unfortunately reflect many progger's views, but as I do lean towards the crossover and mainstream sides of prog, I have found this album to be enjoyable with my first few listens to it.

Anyhow here is Olav's review:

Review by Windhawk
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Neo Prog/Xover Teams & Band Submissions
3 stars A somewhat underwhelming debut by this US project; serving up a long concept album somewhere in between symphonic prog and progressive metal in style.

It's not an album without appeal though, despite of or because of not hitting off straight away with a jaded reviewer. There's some obvious similarities to Ayreon here - albeit more of an Ayreon light in terms of musical and compositional complexities - but the story told is much more fathomable than Lucassen's excursions into the literally field.

Indeed, fathomable and likable are words one can describe much of the material on this album as. Not that interesting to most proggers I'd think, but rather music that should appeal to those mostly listening to and interested in the less complex aspects of music in general and rock in particular.

A concept story, some melodramatic twists to music and story and a sad love story thrown in for good measure makes me conclude that this is a production aimed at a crossover market first and foremost. An album for the girlfriends of male proggers as well as a general mainstream-oriented audience. And I think chances are good that it'll be a hit in those market segments. Hardcore proggers should approach with a bit of caution though.

Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2010 at 11:14
Thanks Scott....its available on Zune Marketplace with my Zune Pass so I am d/l now and will listen later at the gym...
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2010 at 11:28
Thanks Jose.  I hope that you enjoy it. 

In the liner note author Kevin J. Anderson talks about how his stories are influenced by Rush, Kansas, Styx, Pink Floyd, the Alan Parsons Project, and more recently Dream Theater, Tool, A Perfect Circle, Lana Lane, Rocket Scientists, etc...  At any rate, there is something to be said about that for prog fans and the type of music included. 

The book is called The Edge of the World.  And his website is www.wordfire.com.

Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2010 at 11:32
^ I am not a big book reader......But I'll check out the website. I do like all the bands listed as influencial...including DT Thumbs Up
hehe
progmetalhead View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2010 at 11:47
I'll be downloading it from Mindawn sometime this week Scott.

Comments to follow. Smile
http://www.last.fm/user/colt2112

Colt - Admin Team MMA

Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2010 at 14:48
Got thru the first 4 tracks...Good stuff for sure!!! As usual Lana Lane comes thru on Halfway....and Labrie sounds very good.
I'll finish it tonight..Thanks Scott. 
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2010 at 14:55

Sounds like your off to a good start with it.  Hopefully, the middle and ending will continue through for you.  Keep us posted.

BigBoss View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2010 at 15:55

What fortunate timing, I'm working on a press release for the next album for next week as we speak, I've got some details to work out still, but all the music is done and almost all the vocals, we should be in to mixing in about 2 weeks.  I can tell you that Steve Walsh of Kansas and Sass Jordan, who you may or may not known, but she's sold millions of albums and had the exact sound we needed, are on vocals.  This new album focuses the battles in the 2nd novel and we needed a different sound, so we have Henning Pauly doing the music.  

Personally I'm really pleased with how this has come out, of course I'd say that, but really, this is the best stuff I've heard Steve do in an outside project, and he really took his time with it.  I'll have audio samples up with the press release, so I won't prejudice it ahead of time with a description, but it's very different than the first one.

Best Regards,
Shawn Gordon
President
ProgRock Records
www.progrockrecords.com
www.mindawn.com
TheGazzardian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2010 at 16:26
Originally posted by BigBoss BigBoss wrote:

What fortunate timing, I'm working on a press release for the next album for next week as we speak, I've got some details to work out still, but all the music is done and almost all the vocals, we should be in to mixing in about 2 weeks.  I can tell you that Steve Walsh of Kansas and Sass Jordan, who you may or may not known, but she's sold millions of albums and had the exact sound we needed, are on vocals.  This new album focuses the battles in the 2nd novel and we needed a different sound, so we have Henning Pauly doing the music.  

Personally I'm really pleased with how this has come out, of course I'd say that, but really, this is the best stuff I've heard Steve do in an outside project, and he really took his time with it.  I'll have audio samples up with the press release, so I won't prejudice it ahead of time with a description, but it's very different than the first one.

No kidding - Sass Jodan? That was not a name I expected to hear in a prog context. I used to own "Tell Somebody" back in the day. It'll be interesting to hear, that's for sure!

Queen By-Tor View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2010 at 17:36
Sadler on Vocals?? Awesome! Saga aren't the same without him, sadly.
BigBoss View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2010 at 18:01
Sadler continues to be one of my very favorite vocalists and he still knocks it out of the park.  He's getting close to finishing our band project Psychic for Radio as well.  Imagine how cool it is to have your favorite singer, singing songs you wrote.
Best Regards,
Shawn Gordon
President
ProgRock Records
www.progrockrecords.com
www.mindawn.com
Queen By-Tor View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2010 at 18:24
That'll never happen, Michael Kiske retired from Metal
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2010 at 18:33

Sadler continues to be one of my very favorite vocalists and he still knocks it out of the park.  He's getting close to finishing our band project Psychic for Radio as well.  Imagine how cool it is to have your favorite singer, singing songs you wrote.
That is pretty cool.  I've become a big Saga fan in recent years myself.  I was totally unfamiliar with them until a few years ago, but I pretty muched jumped in with both feet once I got to know them. 
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2010 at 18:37

BTW, I am giving this album another spin as I type.

Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2010 at 15:34
Originally posted by rushfan4 rushfan4 wrote:

Sounds like your off to a good start with it.  Hopefully, the middle and ending will continue through for you.  Keep us posted.

Had it on last night...problem was I was working on my taxes...UGHHH!!!!!! So I need to give it another listen...What I heard thru all the adding machine noises I very much enjoyed.
The Sinking of the Luminara, middle section with jazzy drums and heavy bass lines, I enjoyed...That's probably my fav track right now.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2010 at 15:39

I really enjoy Saga....I saw them back in the day on the Heads or Tales tour in Baton Rouge, LA. Sadler just has a great voice...Saga is certainly not the same without him.
Cry
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2010 at 15:43

I am generally so busy preparing other people's taxes that I generally don't get around to mine until April 15th.  

I ended up giving it a couple of listens last night.  This really is up my alley, and I enjoyed it more with each listen. 
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2010 at 10:09
It has been a few days.  Time to give this one another spin and listen.  I guess this album doesn't seem to hit the wow chord for others as much as me.  I am a huge Erik Norlander fan.  To me, Erik is kind of like the second coming of Keith Emerson on the keys.  And I am always up for a concept story to go along with my music.  Thus, I listen.
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2010 at 10:16
Some time ago I almost bought the book, which I will probably do in the near future (now I'm busy with another prog-related read, or better re-read - Elric of Melniboné's series). As to the album, I believe I heard a couple of tracks on MySpace, but didn't pay them too much attention - or probably they didn't impress me too much. I might give them another try, though - in spite of the music overload I'm having these days. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>