Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Proto-Prog and Prog-Related Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedHeavy metal Britannia + Maiden concert

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Heavy metal Britannia + Maiden concert
    Posted: March 05 2010 at 13:27
Tonight at 21:00 GMT on BBC FOUR

Heavy Metal Britannia

Documentary which traces the development of British heavy metal from its beginnings in the Midlands to its international triumph. In the late 60s bands such as Deep Purple, Uriah Heep and Black Sabbath were forging a new kind of hard rock sound - loud, tough, energetic and often dark in outlook - which grew to be known as heavy metal.

and after this

Iron Maiden: Live in Concert

A 60-minute concert filmed in different cities around the world in early 2008 in which this British rock and roll export demonstrate why they are perhaps the global force in metal with songs like Fear of the Dark, Wasted Years, Number of the Beast and Hallowed Be Thy Name. Taken from the concert film Somewhere Back In Time Live.

interesting way to spend your Friday night (or not?)

Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2010 at 07:11
A very entertaining watch. In fact I watched it twice. The BBC are never shy of repeating things, so I expect it will be doing the rounds for quite a while..

The documetary did miss out a few key bands, notably Def Leppard, who were one of the biggest NWOBHMB, and they only skirted around Motorhead, which I thought was odd. I've always considered Motorhead a rock 'n' roll band, rather than HM, but seeing as they are generally regarded as HM, I was surprised by their lack of coverage. Diamond Head, on the other hand, seemed to get loads of coverage. They have been on tour recently with Europe, apparently, so maybe their record label has been pushing them..

The Maiden concert film was brilliant. I lost interest in Maiden many years back, but started taking an interest again, about two years ago, when my friends son started getting into them. I started to replace my old vinyl albums with CD's. It was great to see this band still at the top; playing to huge crowds who clearly adored them. Folk of all ages singing along and generally loving it. Maiden were the first metal band I ever got into, back in about 82, and watching them now, they're still fresh and youthful, and still put on a blinding show.

Edited by Blacksword - March 09 2010 at 07:14
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
toroddfuglesteg View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Retired

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2010 at 07:33

The programme (which is a free download at BBC iPlayer) was entertaining......... The music featured is as powerful as always. 

I don't disagree with the notion that Heavy Metal is essentially a West Midlands (England) culture, exported to the rest of the world. There is no deniable that both Black Sabbath and Led Zeppelin comes from the same area, within 10 miles from each other. Judas Priest and other well known bands also hails from that area. If I was Charles Darwin, I think I would had included this in my book The Origin Of Species.......

......But this was essentially the fifth documentary with the same contents and idea. But it is always fun to hear Tony Iommi, Rob Halford, John Lord and Bill Ward discuss this theme. Stupid men, they ain't.

Edited by toroddfuglesteg - March 09 2010 at 07:34
aapatsos View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2010 at 14:50
Yes, very entertaining watch indeed. Learned a bit more history (or refreshed it really) and the individual comments from those rock/metal legends were amusing.

lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2010 at 14:52
It was a terifically entertaining documentary, and we thoroughly enjoyed every minute. Highly recommended for those with access to BBC iPlayer.
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
Cactus Choir View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2010 at 15:59
Yet another top notch music doc from BBC4 to follow the Folk and Prog Britannia efforts. Lord, Gillan, Iommi, Butler, Ward and Halford were all excellent value. It was actually very moving to hear Bill Ward talk about playing War Pigs in front of disabled Vietnam vets.

My only moan - another use of the Lazy Meaningless Cliche which these programmes seem unable to resist. This time it was along the lines of "While Prog Rockers were busy singing about wizards and elves, Metal preferred to look to the Dark Side. " Obviously they've never heard of King Crimson, VDGG or ELP.
"And now...on the drums...Mick Underwooooooooood!!!"

"He's up the pub"
Syzygy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2010 at 17:17
Very enjoyable - and a timely reminder of how innovative those early Sabbath albums were. I was also mildly impressed with the archive footage of Budgie - I've never really listened to them but I might give one of their old albums a go.
'Like so many of you
I've got my doubts about how much to contribute
to the already rich among us...'

Robert Wyatt, Gloria Gloom

Jim Garten View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin & Razor Guru

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2010 at 07:48
Originally posted by Syzygy Syzygy wrote:

Very enjoyable - and a timely reminder of how innovative those early Sabbath albums were.

Some great archive footage of a very young Sabbath, too; as always, Iommi came across as a very well balanced guy, especially condidering his quote re Vol.IV: "we spent more than the recording budget on cocaine, and the recording budget was £80,000"

Re the Maiden footage, I think this was culled from the 'Tour 666' film & showed them as a hugely entertaining & talented band, also Nicko McBrain - what a character... they're playing Knebworth this year, so I'm thinking a few beers & listen from the comfort of my garden

Jon Lord 1941 - 2012
 Post Reply Post Reply