Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedBlack Widow - Sacrifice

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Black Widow - Sacrifice
    Posted: March 08 2010 at 19:32
What is everyone's opinion on Black Widow's debut album "Sacrifice" from 1970? I think it's one of the most interesting prog rock albums I've ever heard... For those who don't know, it's a concept album based on demonic conjuration and sacrifice... released around the same time as Black Sabbath's debut, it really has no similarities to Sabbath's music, other than the satanic lyrics. The album features guitars, sax, flute, drums, bass, and organ. It is 7 songs, with the epic "In Ancient Days" beginning the album, and the 11 minute rocker title track ending the album. The most famous song on the album is "Come to the Sabbat", which features the lines in the chanting chorus of "come, come, come to the sabbat, come to the sabbat, Satan's there!". Regardless of the lyrics, the song is a classic, and the aforementioned "In Ancient Days" and the title track are great as well. "Attack of the Demon" is another good one. The live versions of the album features longer jam sessions, heavier guitars (especially in "Come to the Sabbat") and an awesome theatrical show put on by the lead singer, who actually tries to conjure a demon during the show. Anyway, here's an example of their live show: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CExXz8zp7T0

The music might take some getting used to, but it has really grown on me over the past 2 years. I love the album now.
TODDLER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2010 at 22:21
I remember sections of the compositions to be jazzy. I wouldn't want to listen to "Come to the Sabbat" when my kids are around or even by myself, as I finally took a stand and successfully moved from my hometown which was Satanic.Thumbs Up  But seriously, this is an underground prog classic from the old prog school. I remember friends spinning this one along with Hawkwind and Lucifer's Friend.  
progressive View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2010 at 00:25
I think it's mostly... rather boring. Not very satanic. "Come to the Sabbat" is interesting but childish. "Conjuration" is a great song, maybe the only really interesting one here, though others are good too, like the first track - good but nothing special.  "Sacrifice" has some nice parts, but I just don't see nothing special in it. There's much folk influences on the album, but there could be more. The music could be heavier and more psychedelic. But even if it was only my personal preference, I'd say that Sacrifice isn't a special album. But it's very comforting mostly (when it doesn't fall to elevator jazz), and I can see the importance.

Edited by progressive - March 09 2010 at 00:37

► rateyourmusic.com/~Fastro 2672 ratings ▲ last.fm/user/Fastro 5556 artists ▲ www.progarchives.com/Collaborators.asp?id=4933 266◄
sleeper View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2010 at 05:12
I like this album quite a bit, In Ancient Days and Sacrifice are two brilliant songs. The only down sides to it for me is that the guitars could be more prominent and the lyrics have the same effect on me as any religious lyrics would (to be endured and then ignored).
Spending more than I should on Prog since 2005

presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2010 at 06:04
I like this album very much, but had only heard it first about a half a year ago. Previous to that i had only heard the third self-titled album, which also works wonders for me.
           In Sacrifice, there are some refreshingly original things done with the music-the lyrics are not interesting for me, as i bought it and love it on the strength of the instrumental aspect of the sound. I definitely find lyrics about Satan or Black Magic to be negative and a waste of time, but as i say, it  is the music itself that appeals to me.
toroddfuglesteg View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Retired

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2010 at 07:20

An interview with the band is on it's way. 

Btw. I was listening through their albums when I researched the interview themes. I am surprised how good they are.  

TODDLER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2010 at 08:39
Originally posted by toroddfuglesteg toroddfuglesteg wrote:

An interview with the band is on it's way. 

Btw. I was listening through their albums when I researched the interview themes. I am surprised how good they are.  

This band, I often think of falling into a catagory with other bands at that time who could be defined as pre-dark rock. Many of them would produce an occult based theme lyrically, while coloring the musical pieces with classical and jazz elements. One example would be classical style piano or jazzy, combined with distorted rock guitar leads. Atomic Rooster and Lucifer's Friend usage of piano was sometimes more than organ. The Enid have a piece titled "The Devil" or the "Demon King" that represents this particular line of work in this old musical concept. Most of it is in fact based on plays or just theatre work in general. The Pink Mice debut was released during the days of the early Lucifer's Friend. All instrumental classical music played in that pre-dark rock style. There are 4 or 5 songs from the first 2 Gentle Giant releases that contain this sound and style. Also....early Omega..200 Hundred Years After the last War. ....and Spooky Tooth.

"Come to the Sabbot" sounds as if it's directly out of a musical. Black Widow differ in various ways from the other bands I have mentioned. But they still classify in the realm of the pre-dark prog rock scene in Europe.
Black Widow fit in to this scene in the same fashion that the early Curved Air did. It's not exacting. But they have written songs that are reminiscent of Atomic Rooster's "Black Snake"....and only more so in the approach of style. The style reveals itself on early Eloy recordings. By 1974 or maybe earlier, This approach to writing style faded as it doesn't turn up on later releases by Gentle Giant or anyone that survived in prog during the mid to late 70's. Black Widow were members of this club.  
progressive View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2010 at 10:26
I'm asking here if you know any other occult bands, and I don't mean lyrics by any mean. I know Atomic Rooster and Lucifer's Friend, but.... I need something more occult. (I think I had a thread of that somewhere).. oh, here it is: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=56378 "Most psychedelic - recommendations thread" (I had to search it from google with exact phrase "Joined: October 08 2005") So, please, see if you can help me.

► rateyourmusic.com/~Fastro 2672 ratings ▲ last.fm/user/Fastro 5556 artists ▲ www.progarchives.com/Collaborators.asp?id=4933 266◄
The Quiet One View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2010 at 14:20
Originally posted by sleeper sleeper wrote:

I like this album quite a bit, In Ancient Days and Sacrifice are two brilliant songs. The only down sides to it for me is that the guitars could be more prominent and the lyrics have the same effect on me as any religious lyrics would (to be endured and then ignored).

Same here.
Alberto Muņoz View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2010 at 16:11
Good band, but very underground and underrated.

presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2010 at 17:05
i made a mistake in my previous post, the self-titled album that i had previously heard is their second album, not their third, which is BW3-the only one i have not heard-i am interested in hearing what people think of BW3
 Post Reply Post Reply