Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedELP Appreciation thread !!!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 11>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2014 at 02:41
A bit off-topic here (but relative) - just listening through to Ayreon's 'The Theory If Everything' , which features a Modular Moog solo from Keith. Sounds familiar .......(Blues Variation from the Pictures album). Emmo's still 'got it' ......
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2014 at 14:09
^ Darn it something else I must have

please people stop recommending stuffWink
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2014 at 14:58
Good CD...
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2014 at 14:59
Hackett is on there as well....
SquonkHunter View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2014 at 00:46
As I said on a previous ELP thread, when they were on form, none were better. When they were off, none were worse. I really like a good part of their output but some of it- mostly the latter stuff- just doesn't get it for me. Even so, I still think highly of them and their huge contribution to the genre overall.
"You never had the things you thought you should have had and you'll not get them now..."
King Crimson776 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2014 at 06:07
How dare you put a warning sign on the thread title. It's ELP, f**ksake. One of the absolute pioneer bands of progressive rock. They have some of the greatest music in the genre. They were bad about album flow though. It's like they just wrote music and didn't really consider the album as a whole nearly as much as pretty much all other prog bands.
LSDisease View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2014 at 06:18
Originally posted by ProgressiveAttic ProgressiveAttic wrote:

I am tired of all those threads dedicated to discuss why do people hate, dislike, etc... this classic band and first prog super-group.

many people don't understand their music , they prefer old boring bluesy/jazzy prog cos it's easy to get into, while ELP were futuristic and not of this planet.
"Du gehst zu Frauen? Vergiss die Peitsche nicht!"
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2014 at 15:02
Originally posted by King Crimson776 King Crimson776 wrote:

How dare you put a warning sign on the thread title. It's ELP, f**ksake. One of the absolute pioneer bands of progressive rock. They have some of the greatest music in the genre. They were bad about album flow though. It's like they just wrote music and didn't really consider the album as a whole nearly as much as pretty much all other prog bands.

To be fair if you try to post 'dead straight' about ELP without any 'warnings' ( which in this case I took as just irony) then you may be accused of lacking a sense of humour , not understanding what good music is about or just plain stupid. Appreciating ELP is not easy when you want to be taken seriouslyWink
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2014 at 15:27
Originally posted by King Crimson776 King Crimson776 wrote:

I do agree that ELP's approach seemed to be more about writing music and not thinking about an album as a whole piece of work. This makes several of their albums patchy and lacking in the sense of flow and dynamics you get in many albums from other bands.
Cactus Choir View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2014 at 03:18
Originally posted by Gerinski Gerinski wrote:

I do agree that ELP's approach seemed to be more about writing music and not thinking about an album as a whole piece of work. This makes several of their albums patchy and lacking in the sense of flow and dynamics you get in many albums from other bands.

Just goes to show that one man's meat is another man's poison! What I like about ELP was how they moved between totally different styles and moods and (usually) pulled it off brilliantly. Most people on here prefer Genesis to ELP but I find it harder to sit through a Genesis album as they sound a bit one-paced and samey. Keith Emerson said after listening back to one of their pieces (think it was The Endless Enigma) that it sounds like it was written by the most schizophrenic person in the world. Perhaps you have to be a bit bi-polar to like ELP. Wink
"And now...on the drums...Mick Underwooooooooood!!!"

"He's up the pub"
Rick Robson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2014 at 08:12
Originally posted by Cactus Choir Cactus Choir wrote:

Just goes to show that one man's meat is another man's poison! What I like about ELP was how they moved between totally different styles and moods and (usually) pulled it off brilliantly. Most people on here prefer Genesis to ELP but I find it harder to sit through a Genesis album as they sound a bit one-paced and samey. Keith Emerson said after listening back to one of their pieces (think it was The Endless Enigma) that it sounds like it was written by the most schizophrenic person in the world. Perhaps you have to be a bit bi-polar to like ELP. Wink

Hey to be honest just a few ELP pieces were enough for me to feel a much more pleasurable listening than almost any music of Genesis, who I know quite a lot and occasionally still listen to them - just to be clear I'm not saying that Genesis are not good. I don't know if it is a matter of personal tastes, but quite sadly only this year I happened to know the awesome ELPs music, and it was enough to be sure they are one of the most genuine bands I've ever heard, btw if I take for example this fantastic piece you pointed out (The Endless Enigma) it shows such a unique symphonic orchestral appeal, as well as Karn Evil 9, not found in almost any other band. But happily I'm not bi-polar yet (at least what I think hahah), and the next one I am looking forward to achieve is Keith Emerson's album Changing States as Richardh recommended.

Edited by Rick Robson - July 29 2014 at 19:21

"Music is a higher revelation than all wisdom and philosophy." LvB
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2014 at 14:45

I think you have hit upon something. Toccata has always been a joy to me which I suspect may have been the track Emerson was referring to?!
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2014 at 20:57
Originally posted by Rick Robson Rick Robson wrote:

Hey to be honest just a few ELP pieces were enough for me to feel a much more pleasurable listening than almost any music of Genesis, who I know quite a lot and occasionally still listen to them - just to be clear I'm not saying that Genesis are not good. I don't know if it is a matter of personal tastes, but quite sadly only this year I happened to know the awesome ELPs music, and it was enough to be sure they are one of the most genuine bands I've ever heard, btw if I take for example this fantastic piece you pointed out (The Endless Enigma) it shows such a unique symphonic orchestral appeal, as well as Karn Evil 9, not found in almost any other band. But happily I'm not bi-polar yet (at least what I think hahah), and the next one I am looking forward to achieve is Keith Emerson's album Changing States as Richardh recommended.

When I first encountered "Karn Evil 9" (and subsequently proceeded to listen to it over and over and over and over again), I sincerely believed I had found the pinnacle of prog. On reflection, I have since heard many other flawed gems (dusted down ), but I still consider that composition to be one of the genre's peaks, and ELP one of its brightest lights.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2014 at 03:04
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

I think you have hit upon something. Toccata has always been a joy to me which I suspect may have been the track Emerson was referring to?!

It was definitely something off Trilogy he was talking about, though it might have been the title track instead of Endless Enigma. I do think those sudden shifts in mood might be one of the things that puts people off ELP. Well, that and the lack of guitars. And the pomposity. Plus the rampant egotism and bombast. Their loss! Tongue

"He's up the pub"
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2014 at 15:26

Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

It was definitely something off Trilogy he was talking about, though it might have been the title track instead of Endless Enigma. I do think those sudden shifts in mood might be one of the things that puts people off ELP. Well, that and the lack of guitars. And the pomposity. Plus the rampant egotism and bombast. Their loss! Tongue

But at least they could pull of the open neck shirt and  tight trousers look while standing on a sun drenched beach

..oh wait a minuteEmbarrassed

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2014 at 03:07
^
Keith always claims to be ashamed of that cover, but he doesn't look very ashamed.

"He's up the pub"
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2014 at 20:09
^a "carioca" hahah , missed only the 4X4 with the surf board on the top of it.

Edited by Rick Robson - July 31 2014 at 20:11

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2014 at 13:34

I love plenty of different styles of music but ELP will always be my favourite band.  I can't think of anyone else who had their combination of musicianship, aggression, dynamism and er, oh yeah "overblown pompous bombast". Thumbs Up When it worked - ie mainly on the first five albums - it was brilliant. I'm sure their reputation would be a lot better if they'd done a King Crimson, split up around 1974 and not hung around to become punk whipping boys, but of course that's easy with hindsight.

I'm toying with the idea of seeing them at the High Voltage fest in London this summer but a bit worried there might be an air of old men trying to recreate former glories. A lot of ELP's music relied a lot on pure energy and attack so I think it's harder for them to recreate in their dotage than the more 'stately' material of Genesis. Still will probably end up going and hope for the best.

Anyway here are some examples of why they were so great:Cool

Wow!
ClapClapClap

And for me they've NEVER become punk whipping boys!!

EDIT: The former YouTube video of The Barbarian doesn't exist anymore, I replaced it by another one.

Edited by Rick Robson - September 28 2014 at 13:52

Jeffro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2014 at 07:41
Tarkus blows me away. Just blows my f**king mind. 
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2014 at 10:43
I have always liked ELP but then I bought the first one when it came out and I already was a fan of the Nice and KC...so it appealed to me. The next 3 or 4 were also good and I only lost interest around the time Works 1 came out.
It seems that the biggest negative for some are those later albums and it might affect how they feel about the earlier ones also.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 11>