Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedELP Appreciation thread !!!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 11>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2014 at 20:20
Actually, I don't have albums after Brain Sallad Surgery (except for Black Moon), and I do like them a lot. But what turns me off a bit from them isn't how bad the music might be after BSS, but rather the joke songs they seem to have needed to include in their albums, plus when they went into carnival mood or however it could be described, I just can't stand it.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2014 at 14:56
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

I have always liked ELP but then I bought the first one when it came out and I already was a fan of the Nice and KC...so it appealed to me. The next 3 or 4 were also good and I only lost interest around the time Works 1 came out.
It seems that the biggest negative for some are those later albums and it might affect how they feel about the earlier ones also.

ELP were never able to pick up the thread after the 2 or 3 year break following the 1974 world tour. Works was a compromise as they obviously wanted to do solo albums at that time. Love beach was misguided. Its better to think of ELP as the massively creative prog force of 1970-1974 and not the empty shell of a band that came later imo.
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2014 at 15:14
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

I have always liked ELP but then I bought the first one when it came out and I already was a fan of the Nice and KC...so it appealed to me. The next 3 or 4 were also good and I only lost interest around the time Works 1 came out.
It seems that the biggest negative for some are those later albums and it might affect how they feel about the earlier ones also.

ELP were never able to pick up the thread after the 2 or 3 year break following the 1974 world tour. Works was a compromise as they obviously wanted to do solo albums at that time. Love beach was misguided. Its better to think of ELP as the massively creative prog force of 1970-1974 and not the empty shell of a band that came later imo.

I agree, though ELPowell's one final, solid attempt in the right direction. I still like it a lot more than Black Moon, which isn't bad, it just feels "safe." ITHS has one decent song, and that's that!
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2014 at 01:08
Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

I agree, though ELPowell's one final, solid attempt in the right direction. I still like it a lot more than Black Moon, which isn't bad, it just feels "safe." ITHS has one decent song, and that's that!

The lack of Hammond on that album always frustrated me although there are some stand up prog tracks. Needs to be listened to in a cathedral for maximum effect though..
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2014 at 06:44
ELP rule the classic waves of Prog Rock, the so called joke song are a little bit of hummer from three musicians...
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2014 at 07:30
Originally posted by geekfreak geekfreak wrote:

ELP rule the classic waves of Prog Rock, the so called joke song are a little bit of hummer from three musicians...

I agree. I can take or leave "Benny the Bouncer" but the others are great.
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2014 at 19:42
where would we all be without a

Music Is Live

<
Rick Robson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2014 at 05:55
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

Originally posted by geekfreak geekfreak wrote:

I agree. I can take or leave "Benny the Bouncer" but the others are great.

These so called joke songs, as well as the so called lack of cohesiveness for many of their compositions shows how I admire them for having made music just and almost always for them three, not for the general people! (which more than once happened with other mainstream bands.)

Edited by Rick Robson - October 04 2014 at 05:56

"Music is a higher revelation than all wisdom and philosophy." LvB
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2014 at 03:13
Most English prog bands have a sense of humour and that often comes out. Genesis seemed to get away with while apparently ELP didn't. However they probably included one too many on Tarkus Side Two. The Sheriff is actually a good track and not the worst on Trilogy while BTB is just 2 minutes long on an album that is 45 minutes . Just use the skip button!
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2014 at 06:17
^Hey this is an interesting point, I never paid attention to the british sense of humor.

I find a good occasion now to remind here what you once pointed out about the people claim of ELP albums inconsistance. Taking for example the s/t I don't see nothing wrong on it too, I feel just the contrary - how on earth can they find lack of cohesiveness in those tracks for God's sake... And whether I'm wrong or not about The Three Fates I don't care, it has such a strong moments rarely found in prog rock, and the same with Take a Pebble - just the elegance of that GRAND! piano (which I don't find in any Genesis music nor in Yes right the two most loved in PA Forum) turns that claim insignificant for me, and it's not even necessary to talk about the other superb compositions of their debut album.

Btw I'm looking forward to finding a live performance of Take a Pebble showing the same majesty found in the studio track, I've already listened to its good version live in Anaheim in 1974, the final part of it including Lucky Man, but I prefer the final beautiful piano segment and the closing session of the studio recording.

Edited by Rick Robson - October 05 2014 at 13:40

Toaster Mantis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2014 at 14:13
The people frequenting this thread might find RateYourMusic user HorseMouth's list of albums inferior to Tarkus amusing.
"The past is not some static being, it is not a previous present, nor a present that has passed away; the past has its own dynamic being which is constantly renewed and renewing." - Claire Colebrook
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2014 at 21:47
Originally posted by Rick Robson Rick Robson wrote:

^Hey this is an interesting point, I never paid attention to the british sense of humor.

I find a good occasion now to remind here what you once pointed out about the people claim of ELP albums inconsistance. Taking for example the s/t I don't see nothing wrong on it too, I feel just the contrary - how on earth can they find lack of cohesiveness in those tracks for God's sake... And whether I'm wrong or not about The Three Fates I don't care, it has such a strong moments rarely found in prog rock, and the same with Take a Pebble - just the elegance of that GRAND! piano (which I don't find in any Genesis music nor in Yes right the two most loved in PA Forum) turns that claim insignificant for me, and it's not even necessary to talk about the other superb compositions of their debut album.  Btw I'm looking forward to finding a live performance of Take a Pebble showing the same majesty found in the studio track, I've already listened to its good version live in Anaheim in 1974, the final part of it including Lucky Man, but I prefer the final beautiful piano segment and the closing session of the studio recording.

Oh well, I'm actually more of a Wakeman fan than Emerson, but I have always liked Rick's piano playing more enjoyable than Emerson's, it just flows more beautifully for me and I enjoy the melodies more. But then, perhaps others would say that Ricks piano parts are more accesible and less challenging.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2014 at 01:17

I find a good occasion now to remind here what you once pointed out about the people claim of ELP albums inconsistance. Taking for example the s/t I don't see nothing wrong on it too, I feel just the contrary - how on earth can they find lack of cohesiveness in those tracks for God's sake... And whether I'm wrong or not about The Three Fates I don't care, it has such a strong moments rarely found in prog rock, and the same with Take a Pebble - just the elegance of that GRAND! piano (which I don't find in any Genesis music nor in Yes right the two most loved in PA Forum) turns that claim insignificant for me, and it's not even necessary to talk about the other superb compositions of their debut album.

Btw I'm looking forward to finding a live performance of Take a Pebble showing the same majesty found in the studio track, I've already listened to its good version live in Anaheim in 1974, the final part of it including Lucky Man, but I prefer the final beautiful piano segment and the closing session of the studio recording.

ELP were never a consistent band but then I hope I also pointed out that consistency is overrated. ELP were a band full of ideas and a lot came easy to them in those days. There are magnificient tracks and we all know which ones those are and there are plenty that just don't resonate with a lot of prog fans. Honestly I think the debut a bit overrated but then I think that about a lot of prog albums in general although I still like them nevertheless.
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2014 at 02:20
well said ELP where never consistency. but yes they where musicians where full of musical themes...

Music Is Live

<
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2014 at 07:59

ELP were never a consistent band but then I hope I also pointed out that consistency is overrated. ELP were a band full of ideas and a lot came easy to them in those days. There are magnificient tracks and we all know which ones those are and there are plenty that just don't resonate with a lot of prog fans. Honestly I think the debut a bit overrated but then I think that about a lot of prog albums in general although I still like them nevertheless.

Yeah right on, I realize what you mean, I should have got straight to the point that in the case of ELP consistency doesn't have importance to me, indeed.

january4mn View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2014 at 09:01
ELP were terrific! I agree with that others have said that the debut through BSS has most of the best stuff, but I like some tracks off works (Love "Fanfare" for example) and even Love Beach has "Canario"--another cool instrumental classical piece. I'm also happy to read here some support for Emerson/Lake/Powell album which I still find very listenable and incredibly powerful to this day, although I'm not too keen on the bonus tracks on the CD version. "Black Moon" was a good record too and a good comeback, although not as impressive as the ELPowell one, there are some nice tunes on there. I've actually never heard "In the Hot Seat" but I gather it's not very good from everything I've ever read about it. One of these days I've got to check it out though.

I'm also a big fan of The Nice, in fact I may like them slightly more than ELP!? I still can't figure out why, I just put them on a bit more often in recent years for some reason.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2014 at 14:02
Th only reason for getting In The Hot Seat is for the bonus studio version of Pictures which isn't bad at all. Black Moon quite appealed to me when it first came out but now I hardly ever listen to it. ELPowell had some of the old prog spirit for sure.
Toaster Mantis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2014 at 14:05
Am I really the only one who found that Albums That Are Inferior to Tarkus list funny? HorseMouth and his younger brother Turkey_Beard are probably the two funniest people on RYM.

Edited by Toaster Mantis - October 06 2014 at 14:20
"The past is not some static being, it is not a previous present, nor a present that has passed away; the past has its own dynamic being which is constantly renewed and renewing." - Claire Colebrook
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2014 at 14:19
Originally posted by Toaster Mantis Toaster Mantis wrote:

Am I really the only one who found that Albums That are Inferior to Tarkus list funny?

No Tongue
january4mn View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2014 at 15:49
Originally posted by Toaster Mantis Toaster Mantis wrote:

Am I really the only one who found that Albums That Are Inferior to Tarkus list funny? HorseMouth and his younger brother Turkey_Beard are probably the two funniest people on RYM.

OK, I checked it out, yes that was funny! :) In a related story, I saw "Canada's only ELP cover band" a few years back in Milton, ON at a bar and they had a guy moving around the stage during the song with a Tarkus mask and outfit on. Pretty cool stuff (depending on how one thinks about these things). I thought it was pretty cool! The band did a great job too, and again, kudos for the Tarkus-dressed guy. Sadly, I don't think the band is still at it--I will take a look...

They were called "Seven Virgins and a Mule" if I remember rightly!

Edited by january4mn - October 06 2014 at 15:50
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 11>