Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedELP Appreciation thread !!!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Cactus Choir View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2014 at 08:08
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

Originally posted by Cactus Choir Cactus Choir wrote:

They didn't help themselves that's for sure, viz. Carl Palmer's complaints about the inadequate pillows in his hotel room in the 1973 documentary, supposedly the inspiration Nigel Tufnel's "sandwich" rant in Spinal Tap.
Well, he wouldn't have been able to pull that bell with his teeth if he'd woken up with a stiff neck due to an uncomfortable pillow would he? Did he phone reception and ask for an extra pillow to be sent up?

It's while since I've seen it, but I'm sure like Nigel Tufnel he concluded that he was a professional and would "rise above it". LOL The doc also showed Keith Emerson clay pigeon shooting, another amusingly Tap-esque moment.

Edited by Cactus Choir - November 13 2014 at 08:13
"And now...on the drums...Mick Underwooooooooood!!!"

"He's up the pub"
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2014 at 00:46
ELP had loads of those spinal tap moments. I'm of the opinion that the original thing was way more fun than the film. I guess Lake's Persian rug was the one they could never live down.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2014 at 02:01
Wasn't there an on-stage Tarkus that unimpressively spewed tiny polystyrene shells? I've always fervently hoped that there were Punk fundamentalists who were foaming at the mouth at such unforgivable 'war crimes'.

"He's up the pub"
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2014 at 03:40

Wasn't there an on-stage Tarkus that unimpressively spewed tiny polystyrene shells? I've always fervently hoped that there were Punk fundamentalists who were foaming at the mouth at such unforgivable 'war crimes'.
Sure there was

Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2014 at 03:43

They didn't help themselves that's for sure, viz. Carl Palmer's complaints about the inadequate pillows in his hotel room in the 1973 documentary, supposedly the inspiration Nigel Tufnel's "sandwich" rant in Spinal Tap.
That was quite common among Rock stars, Keith Moon was apparently extremely capricious and roadies and personal managers often said that coping with his eccentricities could be a real nightmare.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2014 at 04:01
Originally posted by Gerinski Gerinski wrote:

Sure there was

LOL The early version is actually quite cute - presumably that wasn't the effect intended!

"He's up the pub"
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2014 at 07:48
I've just read this old review of Tarkus on Amazon. A propos of nothing really, but it made me laughSmile:

I remember buying this back in 1971 when it came out. As a high school musician, I was completely blown away by the twenty-minute title track! "Tarkus," along with Yes's "Fragile" which came out the same year, totally rearranged my thinking on what rock music was all about.
I also remember getting into deep trouble when I volunteered to be the DJ at a high school dance. In between spinning The Osmonds and Three Dog Night, I slipped the title track to "Tarkus" on the turntable. Man, I practically bust a gut laughing at the response! Talk about disorientation! Anyway, I always thought the title track was very rhythmic and offered all sorts of dance possibilities... The crowd thought otherwise.

"He's up the pub"
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2014 at 10:14
Originally posted by Gerinski Gerinski wrote:

That was quite common among Rock stars, Keith Moon was apparently extremely capricious and roadies and personal managers often said that coping with his eccentricities could be a real nightmare.

Wasn't Keith Moon the guy who "pioneered" the fine art of gluing random pieces of furniture to the ceiling? Or did he just stick to basics, i.e. pushing television sets off balcony ledges?
Rick Robson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2015 at 12:52
That stunning glorious spirit that I've found in Pirates I've found too in the beautiful 'Piano Concerto No.1'. Well, this is ELP... Wink

"Music is a higher revelation than all wisdom and philosophy." LvB
Flight123 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2015 at 07:07
Annoyingly, I was of the age when I got into ELP while they were on hiatus in the mid-70s.  However, I bought Works Vol. 1 when it first came out but was annoyed that they only went back on the road in North America.  ELP had not played in the UK since 74!  Then, they called it a day - so I had to wait until 1992 to see them live for the first time (London, Royal Albert Hall). 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2015 at 09:05
Hey congratulations lucky man, not many have it as one of ELP's highlights and I only happened to listen to Pirates from that venue so far, but personally I guess this concert might have been amongst their most inspired - even though I'm still looking forward to purchasing it - since I love their performance of Pirates in the Royal Albert Hall, it worked so well with that brilliant orchestra. Besides, I enjoyed pretty much Lake's voice singing it with a lower timbre, also giving it a unique live atmosphere. Cool to know you were there...

Flight123 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2015 at 09:38
As you can imagine, Rick, that concert was a big deal for me.  I had given up on ever seeing them live and it was announced out of the blue (pre-Internet days so no rumours!)   Obviously, that night they could do no wrong - my only (slight) disappointment was that Emerson had appeared to abandon his legendary Moog 'telephone exchange' rig...
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2015 at 12:26
To be honest I didn't like the electronic drums Carl used at that gig so was quite pleased when they were no longer present at the Colston Hall in Bristol which was my first live experience of ELP. Great gig with sound as clear as a bell. Utter class.
Flight123 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2015 at 04:29
At least you didn't have to suffer Jim Davidson in the bar before the concert started!!
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2015 at 14:11
Originally posted by Flight123 Flight123 wrote:

At least you didn't have to suffer Jim Davidson in the bar before the concert started!!

Although I did when he was the warm up act for Keith Emerson and The Nice at Hammersmith ApolloEmbarrassed
Flight123 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2015 at 03:44
Oh dear...
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2015 at 14:27
YepPinch
AZF View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2015 at 16:09
I appreciate them but know I have not done enough.
The only time they've been around for my awareness was in their early 90's stab.
I remember reading the reviews of Black Moon, but bought instead "The Atlantic Years" 2 CD (Originally on tape. Ah, I used to have loads of tapes)
I have gone through all the love/hate and think there are worse bands the media can attack since ELP's prime.
But for some reason, it's just not clicking with the same people who might have heard of Yes or Pink Floyd.
(Casual buyers, I am not referring to anybody on these forums)
How often do they get streamed? Not enough by me.
But I still never got around to buying Black Moon (And was saddened to see how negative the reviews and hate was for "In The Hot Seat" which further made me listen to Soft Machine and King Crimson more instead.

But that's other bands, what is there to appreciate in Emerson, Lake & Palmer?
Greg Lake's singing for a start. Conviction and made it look effortless.
Carl Palmer's drumming and drive. If ELP had never happened, he would probably have never really fitted in any other bands and could of quite possibly quit them to work as a painter and decorator!!
And lastly, the great man, Keith Emerson.

I think he will forever fail to connect positively with the collective non-PA public as apart from the ones who can't be arsed to begin with, all Keith's attempts to make Classical music accessible failed at the time and still seems a bit of a misdirection compared to the technology Keith could have explored instead.

I think if they'd stopped touring in 1974 (Which would have financially crippled them!) and announced a break then (It didn't happen this way, Captain Hindsight!) we could have possibly had their material from Works (Solo album stuff really?) and even Love Beach prepared and a lot more re-energised than they were.

So if I can care enough to wish ELP did this, then I appreciate ELP!

Still heard nothing from Emerson, Lake & Powell though. (I tell a lie, their reading of "Mars, Bringer of War" on a radio station I switched over) 
But I have heard "Five Bridges Suite" and can seriously understand why Keith felt he had to work with a better singer like Greg! Clap 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2015 at 16:22
misdirection for whom?? Confused

brainstormer View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2015 at 23:09
It's obvious what the Italians thought of ELP.  The land that brought
us all this advanced Renaissance Science and Art.   I always get a chuckle
when I see Prog snobs cutting down ELP.   Only the truth will win!
(I love to be overblown when discussing ELP). 
--
Robert Pearson
Regenerative Music http://www.regenerativemusic.net
Telical Books http://www.telicalbooks.com
ParaMind Brainstorming Software http://www.paramind.net

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011>