Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Proto-Prog and Prog-Related Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedTop 250 Proto Prog & Prog Related

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Top 250 Proto Prog & Prog Related
    Posted: March 14 2010 at 04:57

Interesting charts that you won't see every day:

Top 163 Proto-Prog albums (there is just 163 of them in database)

http://www.progarchives.com/top-prog-albums.asp?ssubgenres=37&salbumtypes=1&syears=&scountries=&sminratings=1&smaxratings=0&sminavgratings=1&smaxresults=250&x=59&y=0#list

And now Top 250 Prog-related, this category is quite bigger, so first will be "average" P-R:

http://www.progarchives.com/top-prog-albums.asp?ssubgenres=38&salbumtypes=1&syears=&scountries=&sminratings=1&smaxratings=0&sminavgratings=1&smaxresults=250&x=59&y=0

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Here is more closely examined charts, magic tricks with MIN/MAX ratings to present all P-R albums in PA database:

14 - infinity

http://www.progarchives.com/top-prog-albums.asp?ssubgenres=38&salbumtypes=1&syears=&scountries=&sminratings=14&smaxratings=0&sminavgratings=1&smaxresults=250&x=59&y=0#list

6 - 13

http://www.progarchives.com/top-prog-albums.asp?ssubgenres=38&salbumtypes=1&syears=&scountries=&sminratings=6&smaxratings=13&sminavgratings=1&smaxresults=250&x=59&y=0#list

3 - 5

http://www.progarchives.com/top-prog-albums.asp?ssubgenres=38&salbumtypes=1&syears=&scountries=&sminratings=3&smaxratings=5&sminavgratings=1&smaxresults=250&x=59&y=0

1 - 2

http://www.progarchives.com/top-prog-albums.asp?ssubgenres=38&salbumtypes=1&syears=&scountries=&sminratings=1&smaxratings=2&sminavgratings=1&smaxresults=250&x=59&y=0

Dedicated to one person who likes Prog-Related a lot.

Edited by Marty McFly - March 15 2010 at 08:13
There's a point where "avant-garde" and "experimental" becomes "terrible" and "pointless,"

-Andyman1125 on Lulu

Even my
Marty McFly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2010 at 18:12
Still nobody interested ? At least leave your opinions about this thing I've managed.
There's a point where "avant-garde" and "experimental" becomes "terrible" and "pointless,"

-Andyman1125 on Lulu

Even my
seventhsojourn View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2010 at 15:50
Marty, It was only while I was looking at your proto and related links that I discovered that bands/albums in these two categories aren't listed in the Top 250 albums. Why is that?
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2010 at 16:02

Originally posted by seventhsojourn seventhsojourn wrote:

Marty, It was only while I was looking at your proto and related links that I discovered that bands/albums in these two categories aren't listed in the Top 250 albums. Why is that?

I suppose that it's a way how to focus mostly on Prog, while having, but not promoting so much, Related and Proto. I would prefer to give reader a choice, but I don't make rules here, nor I want to "fight" for this opinion so much.

Anyway, it was nice mind exercise to find this out, figure how to do it :-) Not so much Proto-albums, huh ?

And I hope that this list will be useful to you, or someone.

-Andyman1125 on Lulu

Even my
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2010 at 16:17
Yeah, I've never used these filters before so it has been useful in that respect. It's handy to look at some of my favourite genres (Crossover, Folk, RPI) to see where my top choices are. I think it's kinda funny that Deep Purple, Black Sabbath and Uriah Heep are all in different genres. Back in the day they were all 'heavies'.
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2010 at 16:22
Originally posted by Marty McFly Marty McFly wrote:

I suppose that it's a way how to focus mostly on Prog, while having, but not promoting so much, Related and Proto. I would prefer to give reader a choice, but I don't make rules here, nor I want to "fight" for this opinion so much.

Anyway, it was nice mind exercise to find this out, figure how to do it :-) Not so much Proto-albums, huh ?

And I hope that this list will be useful to you, or someone.

Yes, some people felt the need to have a 'ghetto' for PP and PR, in order to avoid the purity of true prog to be contaminatedDead. There are a lot of bands or artists included in 'real' prog categories that have been included on account of one album, when many of the so-called prog-related acts have more than one. Unfortunately, most of them are too well-known for their own good, and known as 'something else' - and you know, labels stick, especially when people judge according to them, instead of using their ears.

Edited by Raff - March 17 2010 at 16:23
jampa17 View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2010 at 16:34
Interesting... Prog related ruled by Queen and Zeepelin with Metallica in the top 10.... great... I'm glad that at least in the rating those albums recieve so good ratings.... As Raff said, shame that some bands that are included in other subgenres are less prog than some of the listed there... but we have to know there's a system going on and many people involved.

We don't have always the true on things... good thread Marty... keep going man...!!!
Change the program inside... Stay in silence is a crime.
Bonnek View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2010 at 16:51
How come I don't like Queen?
I own and like more or less the entire top 70 of the prog-related list, except for number 1 and 2 which I don't want to go near. So what's the deal with Queen?

Great to see this list Marty

Edited by Bonnek - March 17 2010 at 16:53
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2010 at 16:58
Yes, nice work from Marty... especially as these two categories aren't available via the sub-genre filter. So the Top 100 albums on the list aren't the top 100 on the site. Rules is rules, i guess. 
Gooner View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2010 at 16:58
...nice to see Deep Purple's "In Rock" in the top 10. Thumbs Up
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2010 at 17:09

Yes, nice work from Marty... especially as these two categories aren't available via the sub-genre filter. So the Top 100 albums on the list aren't the top 100 on the site. Rules is rules, i guess. 

Nothing to do with rules at all - it's called the lesser of two evils. When I joined the site, there was no such separation, which came much later due to the close-mindedness of some people, and the great store some people set by ratings of all sorts. Unfortunately, it seems that for someone seeing some albums in the Top 100 was tantamount to having their worldly goods stolen (or something to that effect), so, to keep the peace, it was decided to remove them, and treat the two categories like a ghetto. There has also been talk of not allowing PP and PR reviews on the front pageDead.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2010 at 17:27
^ Raff, Is that still a possibility or has the idea been shelved? Hopefully it won't happen.
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2010 at 17:31
I think it has been shelved, for now at least. Hopefully no one will resurrect it ever again.
jampa17 View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2010 at 17:31
Originally posted by Raff Raff wrote:

Nothing to do with rules at all - it's called the lesser of two evils. When I joined the site, there was no such separation, which came much later due to the close-mindedness of some people, and the great store some people set by ratings of all sorts. Unfortunately, it seems that for someone seeing some albums in the Top 100 was tantamount to having their worldly goods stolen (or something to that effect), so, to keep the peace, it was decided to remove them, and treat the two categories like a ghetto. There has also been talk of not allowing PP and PR reviews on the front pageDead.

No way...? really...? is that problematic to people...? I didn't knew that... I'm sure the majority will kill for having the Beatles in the front page... the problem is that is not the same for another bands like The Who or Metallica...
Change the program inside... Stay in silence is a crime.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2010 at 17:40

It's not easy to make any changes, one have to be very careful with the code, because as it's more or less "hack", it's not so friendly to me. So:

Top 250 NEW (89 onwards) Prog-Related

http://www.progarchives.com/top-prog-albums.asp?ssubgenres=38&salbumtypes=1&syears=2010&syears=2009&syears=2008&syears=2007&syears=2006&syears=2005&syears=2004&syears=2003&syears=2002&syears=2001&syears=2000&syears=200+&syears=1999&syears=1998&syears=1997&syears=1996&syears=1995&syears=1994&syears=1993&syears=1992&syears=1991&syears=1990&syears=1989&scountries=&sminratings=1&smaxratings=0&sminavgratings=1&smaxresults=250&x=87&y=17#list

The least I can do for Prog-Related. Bringing them more closely to people here. Except reviewing album, something that I also like.

<<<Juan >>> You know that there are Prog purists. I somehow lost my sense for enjoying "normal" metal over last two years. It just happened. I used to like electronic (DJ Tiesto melodic mixes, even techno) few years ago. And where am I now :) Some people can't stand P-R, or even bands that are rumored to cause disturbance in time and space /// erm, I meant in PA. I don't think so, but who knows for sure.

<<< Raff >>> My plan is simple. If they already are here, I want to promote them. No matter if it means "hidden" Wonderland of Prog-related, or exotic bands, I want to do it. I somehow feel for the underdogs. Want to give them fair chance and at least show them in my lists here on forums and on main page when reviewing them. 

Anyway, it's very interesting to experience so many different kinds of Prog music from all around the world. Not endless US/UK ones. Even I like them too.

<<< Gooner >>> Deserved place, even I quite understand Queen's place.

<<< Chris >>> I like to play with controls, explore it all and see results, enjoy them and share them with other people. Of course, you don't have to be programmer (I'm not, I don't understand it at all), but basics helps. You have to know what command lies where :-)

<<< Bonnek >>> I have soft spot for them, but also for most of these bands.

<<< everyone>>> It's strange, but it seems like I know much more of Prog-Related bands, than those in Top 250 of all time PA

Edited by Marty McFly - March 17 2010 at 17:56

-Andyman1125 on Lulu

Even my
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2010 at 18:54
Originally posted by jampa17 jampa17 wrote:

No way...? really...? is that problematic to people...? I didn't knew that... I'm sure the majority will kill for having the Beatles in the front page... the problem is that is not the same for another bands like The Who or Metallica...

I guess it is to some... or was especially to some in particular.. to see their reviews of .. hahah... 'unknown prog gems' get cycled off the front page due to Hendrix or Zeppelin reviews. 
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
memowakeman View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2010 at 18:57
Nice lists, had never checked those PP and PR top albums, some great music there

Follow me on twitter @memowakeman
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2010 at 19:00
Originally posted by memowakeman memowakeman wrote:

Nice lists, had never checked those PP and PR top albums, some great music there

And this is the real crime of having those lists hidden. There are some great albums among the lesser-known names, which in this way will get even less exposure than they would have if they had been considered 'real' prog.
earlyprog View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Neo / PSIKE / Heavy Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2010 at 06:08
The site works very well with the so-called ghetto of Proto-prog and prog-related. PA's Top 100 on the front page is what people visiting the site first meet, and PA would loose credibility as a "serious" site if they were met with Beatles, Metallica and Queen in the top 10.
AtomicCrimsonRush View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2010 at 08:34
Excellent list - a real eye opener in some cases.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>