Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Proto-Prog and Prog-Related Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedTop 250 Proto Prog & Prog Related

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2010 at 16:03
Originally posted by Marty McFly Marty McFly wrote:

Interesting charts that you won't see every day:

Top 163 Proto-Prog albums (there is just 163 of them in database)

http://www.progarchives.com/top-prog-albums.asp?ssubgenres=37&salbumtypes=1&syears=&scountries=&sminratings=1&smaxratings=0&sminavgratings=1&smaxresults=250&x=59&y=0#list

And now Top 250 Prog-related, this category is quite bigger, so first will be "average" P-R:

http://www.progarchives.com/top-prog-albums.asp?ssubgenres=38&salbumtypes=1&syears=&scountries=&sminratings=1&smaxratings=0&sminavgratings=1&smaxresults=250&x=59&y=0

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Let's bump this a little bit. Lists you won't see every day :-)

There's a point where "avant-garde" and "experimental" becomes "terrible" and "pointless,"

-Andyman1125 on Lulu

Even my
seventhsojourn View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2010 at 05:06
Ok, Marty. Just one question about Proto... why don't Deep Purple fit into a 'proper' Prog category, for example Heavy Prog? Sorry, I realise this is probably an old discussion but I've done the usual searches and found nothing.  
Marty McFly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2010 at 06:44

^ Oh, I overlooked this thread again. It's difficult. I always saw them very similar to Uriah Heep (except vocals), but that's me. They could be there if you can give facts and reasons. I don't know them so well, so I won't be able to help you. I suggest you go to Heavy Prog thread and talk with members there, show them your vision :-)

There's a point where "avant-garde" and "experimental" becomes "terrible" and "pointless,"

-Andyman1125 on Lulu

Even my
CyberDiablo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2010 at 09:10
Deep Purple's The Book of Taliesyn is a perfect example.
Music is some kind of art.
-- Anonymous
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2010 at 19:18
So go on, fight for your Deep Purple and maybe, you will achieve them moved to Heavy Prog.

-Andyman1125 on Lulu

Even my
CyberDiablo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2010 at 08:08
Originally posted by Marty McFly Marty McFly wrote:

So go on, fight for your Deep Purple and maybe, you will achieve them moved to Heavy Prog.

No, really. Deep Purple's albums The Book of Taliesin and Concerto for Group and Orchestra were actually progressive. (Source: Wikipedia) Sadly it only lasted a few years then they became a hard rock band with their album Deep Purple in Rock.

Check these;

and this one is instrumental and is from The Book of Taliesin,

and it's now orchestral;

You see? They were progressive and symphonic!

Edited by CyberDiablo - June 12 2010 at 08:09
Music is some kind of art.
-- Anonymous
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2010 at 18:25

Anyway, I hope that this thread will change opinion of some people about importance of Prog-related. It's not poor cousin of Prog-full genres, it's underdog genre that should get equal chance by my opinion. And this is my share of help.

Top 73 Prog-Related of last 20 years

http://www.progarchives.com/top-prog-albums.asp?ssubgenres=38&salbumtypes=1&syears=2010&syears=2009&syears=2008&syears=2007&syears=2006&syears=2005&syears=2004&syears=2003&syears=2002&syears=2001&syears=2000&syears=1999&syears=1998&syears=1997&syears=1996&syears=1995&syears=1994&syears=1993&syears=1992&syears=1991&syears=1990&syears=1989&scountries=&sminratings=14&smaxratings=0&sminavgratings=1&smaxresults=250&x=59&y=0#list

Edited by Marty McFly - June 17 2010 at 18:50

-Andyman1125 on Lulu

Even my
Fusionman View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2010 at 07:29
I don't remember the Prog Archives 6 years ago being cluttered with nonsense like Kate Bush in the top 20 and Queen taking up 2 spots in the top 10...but they might have been.  In any case the list is an obvious embarrassment which doesn't shock me very much.  I've occasionally peeked in on the forums or about 4 years, and only rarely comment.  I don't comment because I see it cluttered with kids saying "The new Opeth is great!  But I wish they would make another album like Damnation."  "Yeah isn't the Coheed and Cambria true prog?"  "What do you think of the Mars Volta?".   Along side posts of people who apparently just discovered that Yes is a band...and then crazy SOB's which are crying "But Tales of the Topographic Ocean is an album full artistic expression with patience....NOT A PRETENTIOUS COMPOSITION LACKING ANY MELODIC DIRECTION OR MOTIF!!"

The opinion of people no longer matters because being different is oddly trendy.

Edited by Fusionman - June 19 2010 at 07:32

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2010 at 04:08
Bumping again, maybe new people will saw it, maybe new people will thrive with it, maybe new people will post here.

-Andyman1125 on Lulu

Even my
tuxon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2010 at 08:17
the top albums from Related and Proto would come in the top 100 at around place 25 so the top wouldn't be scewed that much only for purists it would be an inconvenience. but for good charts you'd have to make a top list from your favourite genre's anyway.

IMO the charts (top 100 most importantly) should reflect the best/most popular/bestknown albums on the archives independant from sub-genre.

finding more obscure masterpieces should be a search for the holy grail and only findable for those who want it bad enough.

BTW Deep Purple should be in a prog-genre and not in proto-prog or prog related as they were one of the pioneers and actually part of the early progressive movement. from In Rock onwards it was still progressive, very heavy prog indeed.
I'm always almost unlucky _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ Id5ZcnjXSZaSMFMC Id5LM2q2jfqz3YxT
notesworth View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2010 at 00:10
Great lists. I bookmarked them so I can find them again.

If proto and related were in the main list, Queen II would be 61, Led Zeppelin IV would be 67, Abbey Road would be 94, and A Night at the Opera would be 99. They show the weighted average by each album so I slipped them in.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2011 at 19:52
Let's bump this for a new generation of PA members (2011 ones).

-Andyman1125 on Lulu

Even my
notesworth View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2011 at 12:57
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2011 at 16:17
Oh, 10 Prog Related and 10 Proto Prog albums in that list. This goes bigger than I thought.

-Andyman1125 on Lulu

Even my
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2013 at 09:54
Bumping again, because this thread is worth it.

Hopefully, it will bring new insights into the minds of newcomers (and those who already seen these lists can see them again with new votes).

If anyone sees this thread and likes it, please leave a comment - I will know my findings were not useless.

Edited by Marty McFly - February 17 2013 at 11:57

-Andyman1125 on Lulu

Even my
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12