Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedCaptain Beefheart

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2014 at 04:23
Does anyone know exactly what are the copyrights issues that prevent Lick My Decals Off from getting a proper re-issue? I'd have guessed it had something to do with Beefheart and Zappa's mutual falling out, but then again not so long ago the Zappa Family Trust finally released Bat Chain Puller which had been caught in exactly that kind of legal limbo, so...
"The past is not some static being, it is not a previous present, nor a present that has passed away; the past has its own dynamic being which is constantly renewed and renewing." - Claire Colebrook
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2014 at 04:55
Originally posted by Toaster Mantis Toaster Mantis wrote:

Does anyone know exactly what are the copyrights issues that prevent Lick My Decals Off from getting a proper re-issue? I'd have guessed it had something to do with Beefheart and Zappa's mutual falling out, but then again not so long ago the Zappa Family Trust finally released Bat Chain Puller which had been caught in exactly that kind of legal limbo, so...
I think it has to do with the fact that the first label to put Decals on CD (Enigma/Retro) went out of business in the early 1990s, so it's been in some kind of legal limbo.  I don't know how such things work, but I do know that several other albums released on Enigma during the late 80/early 90s (e.g. The Effigies and the Wipers' catalogs) have also been slow to see reissue on CD.

Of course, now there's a new Beefheart box coming out which finally restores Decals to CD, albeit as part of a 4 disc package.  And it's been on LP now for a while.
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
PrognosticMind View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2014 at 05:41
Originally posted by Xonty Xonty wrote:

Like Frank Zappa, I love bits of his work but always find it hard not to see something like TMR as some psychedelic, interesting artefact instead of a musical masterpiece. Zappa was a little more down-to-earth if you could put it that way - he had a more controlled eccentricity which can been seen as both "heritage" and classics. Basically, I never fully got into the Captain Beefheart ethos of playing, even though I understand it, but TMR sounds better to me with every listen.

This is totally understandable. Beefheart truly is something different. I'm a huge Zappa fan myself, and I can easily admit that while they do have similar aesthetics and expressionism - Zappa is by far the easier of the two to digest. TMR is one of those records where you start to truly "hear it" with subsequent listens. The only other record that's ever done that for me (and ironically led me to discover Captain Beefheart due to someone mentioning the similarity in a review) is Gorguts Obscura.

Does anyone know exactly what are the copyrights issues that prevent Lick My Decals Off from getting a proper re-issue? I'd have guessed it had something to do with Beefheart and Zappa's mutual falling out, but then again not so long ago the Zappa Family Trust finally released Bat Chain Puller which had been caught in exactly that kind of legal limbo, so...

I was just watching the Captain Beefheart documentary last evening, and from what I can gather, Zappa was saying that Beefheart would just sign whatever was put in front of him. This led to all sorts of legal conflicts down the road, and were the main source of all that red tape. It's probably a little more complex than just that, but it wouldn't surprise me if that's a huge part of it, lol.

"A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous. Got me?"
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2014 at 15:35
Trout Mask Replica is officially my favorite record at the moment.

Are there any others who are as "obsessed" with this record as I am right now? LOL
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2014 at 16:12
Originally posted by PrognosticMind PrognosticMind wrote:

Are there any others who are as "obsessed" with this record as I am right now? LOL
well, i just finished the book about it, so I've had it on my mind quite a bit. The book didn't have too many surprises - I've studied everything Beefheart related that I can find - but it offered some insight into the lyrics, which I never tried too hard to unravel before. Turns out most of the songs are actually about something :lol:

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2014 at 16:23
Originally posted by HolyMoly HolyMoly wrote:

well, i just finished the book about it, so I've had it on my mind quite a bit. The book didn't have too many surprises - I've studied everything Beefheart related that I can find - but it offered some insight into the lyrics, which I never tried too hard to unravel before. Turns out most of the songs are actually about something :lol:

Who would've guessed, right? LOL

The poetic lyrics are one of my favorite aspects here. In particular, the ways the production sets and resets the stage for Beefheart's musings. The last spoken poetry portion of "Old Fart at Play", where it sounds like a single track recording from a tape recorder in the center of the room is an example of this. His annunciation and vernacular are unparalleled here, IMHO.

"Neon Meate Dream Of A Octafish" is another personal favorite LOL.
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2014 at 19:32

The poetic lyrics are one of my favorite aspects here. In particular, the ways the production sets and resets the stage for Beefheart's musings. The last spoken poetry portion of "Old Fart at Play", where it sounds like a single track recording from a tape recorder in the center of the room is an example of this. His annunciation and vernacular are unparalleled here, IMHO.
that song details a salacious sex scene, if you can believe that.

-Kehlog Albran
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2014 at 05:56

that song details a salacious sex scene, if you can believe that.

Nothing's out of bounds with the captain, lol.
aaroncliftmusic View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2014 at 12:00
"Trout Mask Replica" for sure.  That album has frightened several friends away, though. Smile
matty3198 View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2014 at 13:49
Trout Mask has it's moments but its the albums he made later that really do it for me. Lick my Decals, Shiny Beast and Clear Spot.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2014 at 19:48
Originally posted by matty3198 matty3198 wrote:

Trout Mask has it's moments but its the albums he made later that really do it for me. Lick my Decals, Shiny Beast and Clear Spot.
And I would add Spotlight Kid.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
matty3198 View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2014 at 14:29
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

Originally posted by matty3198 matty3198 wrote:

And I would add Spotlight Kid.

Spotlight Kid has some good songs,but its one of his weaker albums IMO.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2014 at 11:14
Doc at The Radar Station is amazing.
brainstormer View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2014 at 13:27
Since this isn't an "appreciation" thread but merely a discussion, I'll chime in.

I have tried to enjoy his work but can't get very far in listening to it
because it's not my taste.  I enjoyed his work with Zappa when I was barely a teen, the Bongo Fury
album.  After that, I really outgrew this guy.  The kind of bluesy rock they
create combined with Bukowsky meets the more drugged out hippies poetry hardly 
qualifies as prog in my book.  It's a variation of what I call the "greasy spoon" aesthetic, in 
this case, too chaotic and simplistic to me to be considered good music.  Maybe
Bach and Mozart would concur   LOL

Did this guy ever do a semi-normal album, or what might be called classical
or instrumental, or was it all this blues-based stuff?  I imagine he probably did some
with chromatic type stuff thrown in to essentially a rock/blue/free jazz type backdrop. 
--
Robert Pearson
Regenerative Music http://www.regenerativemusic.net
Telical Books http://www.telicalbooks.com
ParaMind Brainstorming Software http://www.paramind.net

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2014 at 06:58
Originally posted by brainstormer brainstormer wrote:

Since this isn't an "appreciation" thread but merely a discussion, I'll chime in.

I have tried to enjoy his work but can't get very far in listening to it
because it's not my taste.  I enjoyed his work with Zappa when I was barely a teen, the Bongo Fury
album.  After that, I really outgrew this guy.  The kind of bluesy rock they
create combined with Bukowsky meets the more drugged out hippies poetry hardly 
qualifies as prog in my book.  It's a variation of what I call the "greasy spoon" aesthetic, in 
this case, too chaotic and simplistic to me to be considered good music.  Maybe
Bach and Mozart would concur   LOL

Did this guy ever do a semi-normal album, or what might be called classical
or instrumental, or was it all this blues-based stuff?  I imagine he probably did some
with chromatic type stuff thrown in to essentially a rock/blue/free jazz type backdrop. 

Beefheart truly is avant garde at its finest and most poignant, IMHO. You won't find much in the way of traditional blues with him beyond the ways he bends and twists those influences into his particular style. "China Pig" off of TMR is about as close to traditional blues as you'll get off that record, lol.

Edited by PrognosticMind - October 26 2014 at 06:59
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2014 at 16:20
For Brainstormer....
I think his most accessible or commercial albums are Unconditionally Guaranteed and Moonbeams and Bluejeans but they are also his weakest according to Beefheart fans....which I am one.
For me Clear Spot is the ultimate album since it's accessible, has blues and rock , and still maintains his weird musical vision and imho Big Eyed Beans From Venus might be the best blues rock thing he has ever written with  his classic magic band lineup.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Toaster Mantis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2014 at 12:51
For me it's The Mirror Man Sessions that helped me "get" the Captain though if you're not into less narratively aimed psychedelic jamming it might neither be the right place. The last two LPs Doc at the Radar Station and Ice Cream for Crow might be better entrance points, though, they hit the just balance between the "mutant blues" of Safe As Milk and Bongo Fury on one hand the avant-garde mindbending free jazz surrealism of Trout Mask Replica on the other.
"The past is not some static being, it is not a previous present, nor a present that has passed away; the past has its own dynamic being which is constantly renewed and renewing." - Claire Colebrook
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2014 at 21:13

For me it's The Mirror Man Sessions that helped me "get" the Captain though if you're not into less narratively aimed psychedelic jamming it might neither be the right place. The last two LPs Doc at the Radar Station and Ice Cream for Crow might be better entrance points, though, they hit the just balance between the "mutant blues" of Safe As Milk and Bongo Fury on one hand the avant-garde mindbending free jazz surrealism of Trout Mask Replica on the other.

Ice Cream for Crow has really grown on me in the last month or so. It feels like Beefheart evolved.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2014 at 01:07
Earlier this year I finally acquired an LP of Bongo Fury. It's a wonderful album, and Beefheart just adds to Zappa's usual quality. As for the Captain's work, i only have a couple of LP's and I love Mirror Man for sure.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234