FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedCarpet Crawling in the Halls of Fame

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Carpet Crawling in the Halls of Fame
    Posted: March 16 2010 at 18:24
Most of you know by now that Genesis was inducted into the Rock 'n' Roll Hall of Fame.  The ceremony was aired yesterday (15th of March).  The event opened with Phish performing "Watcher of the Skies."  Trey Anastasio (sp?) offered up the induction speech, and then Phish performed "No Reply."

I'm curious about reactions to the whole affair.
If you saw the ceremony, what are your thoughts about the performances and/or the ceremony itself?

More broadly, what are people's thoughts about a progressive group (finally) being included? 
Does it matter? Or, if that "no" comes too easily to your lips and keyboard-clacking fingers, then are there ways that it might be considered a not so very terrible thing?
What about Genesis being the first to enter the hallowed (or sadly tarnished) Hall?  

Edited by questionsneverknown - March 16 2010 at 18:26
The damage that we do is just so powerfully strong we call it love

The damage that we do just goes on and on and on but not long enough.

--Robyn Hitchcock
UndercoverBoy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2010 at 18:28
I am very glad that there influence in Rock was finally realized, even though I really don't think that the Hall of Fame has any real relevance to the Rock world.  That induction sounded interesting, I would have liked to see it.  Phish is a pretty cool band, but I'm surprised that they played "No Reply."  I guess they had to represent all eras.Ermm
thellama73 View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2010 at 20:46
The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame is a joke. I have absolutely no interest in which bands are included or excluded. It doesn't matter.
questionsneverknown View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2010 at 13:52
Originally posted by gottagetintogetout gottagetintogetout wrote:

I am very glad that there influence in Rock was finally realized, even though I really don't think that the Hall of Fame has any real relevance to the Rock world.  That induction sounded interesting, I would have liked to see it.  Phish is a pretty cool band, but I'm surprised that they played "No Reply."  I guess they had to represent all eras.Ermm

Phish's rendition of "Watcher' was quite excellent, actually.  It was a rather surreal moment as the organ chords began to fill the hall to start the whole ceremony--there seemed to be a number of "Who is this?" "What is this?" gestures going around the suited room.

Anastasio's speech was a marvelous paeon to prog and he clearly was trying to make a case that a quiet minority in the music listening world has not been heard by the Hall of Fame until this moment.

The cover of "No Reply" was, er, uh, well y'know.  Guess it had to be done.

--Robyn Hitchcock
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2010 at 13:57
Originally posted by thellama73 thellama73 wrote:

The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame is a joke. I have absolutely no interest in which bands are included or excluded. It doesn't matter.

This has generally been my opinion.
But then I ended up watching the thing (as opposed to what? Celebrity Fit Club?  Sad really).

At the same time I was struck by Steve Van Zandt's compelling speech, when he was inducting The Hollies, in which he made an impassioned, intelligent defense of what the Hall of Fame can stand for as opposed to the Grammies and American Music Awards (both annoying and irrelevant).  

I'll have to dig around the web to see if that's been posted yet.  It's worth checking out.

--Robyn Hitchcock
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2010 at 14:10
Originally posted by questionsneverknown questionsneverknown wrote:

More broadly, what are people's thoughts about a progressive group (finally) being included? 
Does it matter? Or, if that "no" comes too easily to your lips and keyboard-clacking fingers, then are there ways that it might be considered a not so very terrible thing?
What about Genesis being the first to enter the hallowed (or sadly tarnished) Hall?  

I would say that many progressive groups have been included, and in terms of Prog as we use it at this site, Pink Floyd was inducted back in 1996.  So I don't think it's that amazing.  I would be amazed if it was a group just known for Prog, but I very much doubt that Genesis would have been included had it not been for the band's pop music contributions.

Side:note as for some artists in PA, of course Frank Zappa was inducted in 1995, as well as Santana in 1998, Steely Dan in 2005 and Miles Davis in 2006.

Edited by Logan - March 17 2010 at 14:11
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2010 at 18:07
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

I would say that many progressive groups have been included, and in terms of Prog as we use it at this site, Pink Floyd was inducted back in 1996.  So I don't think it's that amazing.  I would be amazed if it was a group just known for Prog, but I very much doubt that Genesis would have been included had it not been for the band's pop music contributions.

Side:note as for some artists in PA, of course Frank Zappa was inducted in 1995, as well as Santana in 1998, Steely Dan in 2005 and Miles Davis in 2006.

Thanks for the history update.  
What's interesting to me is that though many have said that Genesis was probably included for the pop half of their career, many of the things I heard and read leading up to the induction emphasized their "progness," and some of the statements have made the claim that Genesis were the first prog group to be inducted.  While Zappa and Pink Floyd's inclusion clearly contradicts this (more so than Santana, Miles Davis, and Steely Dan), it seems that Genesis have been brought forth as a prog group while the prog elements of the others has been deemphasized.  Opening the event with "Watcher of the Sky" seemed to make this point.    

--Robyn Hitchcock
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2010 at 18:46

Thanks for the history update.  
What's interesting to me is that though many have said that Genesis was probably included for the pop half of their career, many of the things I heard and read leading up to the induction emphasized their "progness," and some of the statements have made the claim that Genesis were the first prog group to be inducted.  While Zappa and Pink Floyd's inclusion clearly contradicts this (more so than Santana, Miles Davis, and Steely Dan), it seems that Genesis have been brought forth as a prog group while the prog elements of the others has been deemphasized.  Opening the event with "Watcher of the Sky" seemed to make this point.    

Very good points.
crimhead View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2010 at 23:32

Scratching head as to why it took so long to put FZ,Santana and Miles into it.
tamijo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2010 at 03:20
I just couldent care less, these kinda events is a turnof to me in general.
The fact that King Crimson was not the first Prog band to get in, tell me that its all about record sales, not about the development in the art of music.
Prog is whatevey you want it to be. So dont diss other peoples prog, and they wont diss yours
Tarquin Underspoon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2010 at 12:24
I was really glad to hear Trey's speech emphasize their prog career. As a matter of fact, he barely mentioned their pop side at all. He sung the praises of Trespass and SEBtP in particular, which was very cool. My favorite moment, though, came when he said something to the effect of "Most of you have probably never heard Selling England by the Pound, but those who have know exactly what I'm talking about".

All in all, I don't think this changes anything about the Hall, I still think it's pretty pointless. Still cool to have Genesis's prog side displayed so prominently on their big night.
"WAAAAAAOOOOOUGH!    WAAAAAAAUUUUGGHHHH!!   WAAAAAOOOO!!!"

-The Great Gig in the Sky
Chicapah View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2010 at 15:17
While I really don't care that much about it right now I do think it's of significance way on down the road.  In 100 years none of us will be around but chances are that some remnant of the R&R Hall of Fame will and, therefore, there's a chance that prog groups like Genesis will be remembered and still listened to solely because of their inclusion.  By then the politics will be forgotten and music historians will be able to hear an epic like "Suppers Ready" and acknowledge that this band was brave enough to make courageous and lasting stands against the status quo.  That's the real upside to this whole deal.
"Literature is well enough, as a time-passer, and for the improvement and general elevation and purification of mankind, but it has no practical value" - Mark Twain
Chris S View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2010 at 15:24

^ No reply at all

Perfectly putThumbs Up
<font color=Brown>Music - The Sound Librarian

...As I venture through the slipstream, between the viaducts in your dreams...[/COLOR]
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2010 at 10:59
Originally posted by Chicapah Chicapah wrote:

While I really don't care that much about it right now I do think it's of significance way on down the road.  In 100 years none of us will be around but chances are that some remnant of the R&R Hall of Fame will and, therefore, there's a chance that prog groups like Genesis will be remembered and still listened to solely because of their inclusion.  By then the politics will be forgotten and music historians will be able to hear an epic like "Suppers Ready" and acknowledge that this band was brave enough to make courageous and lasting stands against the status quo.  That's the real upside to this whole deal.

Nicely put.  

--Robyn Hitchcock
 Post Reply Post Reply