FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedSteve Howe Trio

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Steve Howe Trio
    Posted: March 17 2010 at 16:01
Ms Cracker and I trolled along to see Steve and his trio a couple of nights ago. It was 'interesting'. Basically this is a jazz trio and Steve can clearly play in that style. However he'd be better playing jazz clubs etc for that,. So - no fool he - he played a load of classic Yes numbers to, but still mostly in a swinging jazz trio idiom! I have to say it didn't all work for me and if anyone didn't know numbers like The Ancient (yes - he did that!), Close To The Edge and Heart of The Sunrise then they'd probably have been a bit bored by the noodlings. However, all is forgiven for a truly amazing interpretation of Siberian Khatru. I never really 'got' that particular song but the way it came out was just sublime - lot's of subtle nuances and power too, mad me reappraise it.

A word for the band. Ross (forgot his surname) - darned good on Organ, Dylan Howe - stupendous on drums, but way too much playing - needs to back off a bit, everyone knows he's Art Blakey, Billy Cobham and Elvin Jones all rolled into one.

BTW Steve's stage announcements did remind me of a nervous Bob Harris!
I wasn't there when I did it
 Post Reply Post Reply