Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWhich is the best diet for long term use?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Poll Question: Which is the best diet for long term use?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
1 [33.33%]
1 [33.33%]
1 [33.33%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Which is the best diet for long term use?
    Posted: March 22 2010 at 08:05
Just curious ... I've been on a low-carb, high-fat diet for the last two weeks or so, and so far I feel fine. I've also read almost a dozen books about nutrition over the last few months, and low-carb is which I find most in line with the facts and studies. Of course when it comes to studies you'll always have to ask yourself which ones you really trust ... just because it's labelled "study" doesn't imply that it is scientifically valid.

Edited by Mr ProgFreak - March 22 2010 at 08:08
Vompatti View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2010 at 08:08
Breatharianism.
Mr ProgFreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2010 at 08:09
^ that would be nice ... live on religious energy alone.LOL
thellama73 View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2010 at 08:10
I don't believe in diets, so none of the above.
Epignosis View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2010 at 08:12
No diet has ever "worked" long term without making me feel miserable after a few days (incidentally, the first few days I feel like I could conquer the world).  The most successful diet I went on was the Subway diet a long time ago, but you can imagine how that affects the pocketbook and, face it, you get pretty damn tired of sandwiches.  LOL

The only way I could ever lose weight would be to exercise like I did a few years ago.  That's even harder because I work more hours and now have two children (and simultaneously fritter away the hours here Embarrassed).
Jim Garten View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin & Razor Guru

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2010 at 08:27
Eat exactly what you do usually, just a little less of it

Jon Lord 1941 - 2012
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2010 at 08:31
My health issues force me to moderate my birthday party attending rate and that's more diet than I ever wished for. Some diets may have their pros, but all have their cons.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2010 at 08:35
Originally posted by thellama73 thellama73 wrote:

I don't believe in diets, so none of the above.

"Diet" also means what you normally eat, instead of the term "dieting" which essentially means that you change your diet for a certain time (typically a few weeks) in order to reach a certain goal (typically weight loss, but you could also try to gain weight if you're starved or doing strength training).

So unless you don't believe in eating at all, you're likely one of the three types.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2010 at 08:39
Originally posted by Jim Garten Jim Garten wrote:

Eat exactly what you do usually, just a little less of it

That usually doesn't work for obese people though ... weight loss by eating less is possible, but in the long term they quickly regain their former weight (and then some). Studies also show the many obese people don't actually eat that much more than some other lean people, even taking into account factors like exercise. IMO it's much more likely that for some reason their metabolic balance is off, causing the body to store more fat than it actually needs. And I also believe that this imbalance is caused by what you eat rather than by how much you eat.Smile
thellama73 View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2010 at 08:41
Since you forced my hand, I'll say that the "diet" I most believe in is "all things in moderation, including moderation." Also, I think physical activity plays a big roll, I don't mean going to the gym twice a week, I mean but more generally active all the time, like a farmer!
Italians eat tons of pasta every two hours or so their entire waking life (right Raff?), but most are not overweight, because they walk more and are generally more active.
Negoba View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2010 at 09:03

At least here in America, I think the #1 things to be improved are reducing soda / pop intake to maybe once a week, and preparing your own food. People eat out alot here and just by making your own sandwich out of simple ingredients, you can improve the nutritional value and reduce the calories of your food.

You are quite a fine person, and I am very fond of you. But you are only quite a little fellow, in a wide world, after all.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2010 at 09:05
^^ moderation is certainly always a good thing.

About the Italians: I think that, leaving aside regional difference, they don't eat quite as much pasta as people from other countries would expect. They mainly exported meals like pizza and pasta, but even the Sopranos cookbook offers many meals that are actually low-carb. Or, if seen from the other side, high-fat. Consider spaghetti with meatballs or baked ziti for example - a lot of meat, cheese and olive oil.

But I'm sure that Raff can offer us some first hand information ... Smile

Edited by Mr ProgFreak - March 22 2010 at 09:09
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2010 at 09:09
Originally posted by Negoba Negoba wrote:

At least here in America, I think the #1 things to be improved are reducing soda / pop intake to maybe once a week, and preparing your own food. People eat out alot here and just by making your own sandwich out of simple ingredients, you can improve the nutritional value and reduce the calories of your food.

Agreed. Fructose is one of the biggest threats to health - at least in the amounts (and concentrations) which it is currently being consumed. If you're interested, watch the talk that was posted in the thread in the discussions area yesterday ... fructose is actually a toxin. As with all toxins it's the dosage which decides whether it has toxic effects - but clearly there is a lot of confusion out there. Only earlier today I was reading a best selling book about dieting, and they claimed that fructose is converted to glucose in the liver ... I suppose they either weren't aware of the main side products (fat/VLDL and uric acid), or didn't deem them important.
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2010 at 09:13
i see there is no choice for a basic balanced diet there.  Fad diets may achieve something short term but...
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2010 at 09:20
The point is that maybe the diet that most Americans (and, to a slightly lesser degree, all other civilized countries) eat - which is low-fat, high-carb - is not healthy. Changing it for good (for the rest of your life) might greatly improve your health ... or it might harm you. Regardless, health is an important issue ... and if evidence suggests that changing your diet could improve it, IMO it's always worth to check out the possibilities.

BTW: Low-carb has been around for more than a century - or even longer. Even before sugar (sucrose) became the affordable commodity that it is today, people have occasionally mentioned that it's carbohydrates that are "uniquely fattening". As it happens, Americans are uniquely fat (according to statistics), and they happen to be on a high carbohydrate diet. Does anybody else see a possible relation?Big smile
Negoba View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2010 at 09:23
Adkins-style diets do work (sometimes dramatically), but in my experience, people find them hard to maintain. And some people gain back with extra to spare when they quit them, just like any other diet.

You are quite a fine person, and I am very fond of you. But you are only quite a little fellow, in a wide world, after all.
Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2010 at 09:35
The best diet for long term use is low-calorie, high on fruits/vegetables.  IMO.

Moderate intake of complex carbs/fats/etc.  Avoid the obvious junk.

That said, I don't live by any of this advice.  LOL
Epignosis View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2010 at 09:43
Beer.  That is all.
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2010 at 09:53
Yes, well the beer diet makes total sense except for someone who just doesn't like beer.LOL
As close as I get to beer is ginger beer.  Jamaican baby!!! Tongue
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

stonebeard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2010 at 09:59
For long-term, whatever you want, as long and you exercise. I couldn't imagine simply taking soda, cheetos, and cocoa puffs out of my diet forever. It's not too hard to maintain weight, but these things have to be cut out or back drastically if you want to lose weight.

Matter of fact, it seems to me that I look and feel thinner after tons of soda sometimes. Maybe I just p*ss a lot more because of the caffeine. LOL /toomuchinformation

Edited by stonebeard - March 22 2010 at 10:00
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>