Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWhich is the best diet for long term use?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Poll Question: Which is the best diet for long term use?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
1 [33.33%]
1 [33.33%]
1 [33.33%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2010 at 10:05
Originally posted by Padraic Padraic wrote:

The best diet for long term use is low-calorie, high on fruits/vegetables.  IMO.

Moderate intake of complex carbs/fats/etc.  Avoid the obvious junk.

That said, I don't live by any of this advice.  LOL

Things may not be as healthy as they appear ... for example, orange juice is as bad as soda, as far as obesity and/or diabetes are concerned.
Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2010 at 10:08
Originally posted by Mr ProgFreak Mr ProgFreak wrote:

The best diet for long term use is low-calorie, high on fruits/vegetables.  IMO.

Things may not be as healthy as they appear ... for example, orange juice is as bad as soda, as far as obesity and/or diabetes are concerned.

Moderate intake

Moderate intake

MODERATE INTAKE

So, in other words, yeah don't drink 17 glasses of orange juice a day.  Then you probably won't develop Type-II.

This really isn't as hard as some make it out to be.
Mr ProgFreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2010 at 10:11
Originally posted by stonebeard stonebeard wrote:

For long-term, whatever you want, as long and you exercise. I couldn't imagine simply taking soda, cheetos, and cocoa puffs out of my diet forever. It's not too hard to maintain weight, but these things have to be cut out or back drastically if you want to lose weight.

Matter of fact, it seems to me that I look and feel thinner after tons of soda sometimes. Maybe I just p*ss a lot more because of the caffeine. LOL /toomuchinformation

exercise + carbohydrates makes you hungry though. The typical recommendation is "eat less, exercise more" ... so people are semi starved and their metabolism torn between too little carbs and too little fat and then the "user" comes and decides to do strenuous exercise. No wonder that people eventually quit those "diets", or suffer stroke or heart attack. And when they do quit their body regains the weight not in order to compensate, but because of the carbs that were eaten all along the fat metabolism is even more out of balance.

thellama73 View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2010 at 10:19
I take so called "nutrition science" with a large grain of salt. For me, common sense trumps all these studies that frequently contradict each other.No amount of studies will make me believe that orange juice is bad for me. Sorry, I just don't buy it.
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2010 at 10:27

Moderate intake

Moderate intake

MODERATE INTAKE

So, in other words, yeah don't drink 17 glasses of orange juice a day.  Then you probably won't develop Type-II.

I'm sorry but soft drinks are a worse dietary choice than fruit juices.  Fruit juices aren't as good as whole fruits.  Coke Zero is God. LOL MODERATE INTAKE MODERATE INTAKE. A balanced diet will do you a world of good.  Do I have a balanced diet yet?  NO, but I am working on it.

Edited by Slartibartfast - March 22 2010 at 10:29
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2010 at 10:28
^ and ^^ it's a fact that orange juice contains just as much sugar (glucose and fructose) as soda. Ok, now one could say that it's not as bad as soda because it also contains many healthy natural nutrients and minerals ... but so do other foods that don't contain as much sugar. And soda also contains salt, which increases blood pressure and makes you thirsty - so soda is indeed worse than orange juice. The fact remains though that orange juice is not a natural, healthy food. Not even oranges are, given that they were bred to contain more sugar by humans, and before the age of industrialisation they were never consumed in such concentrated form.

If you're thirsty, my recommendation would be: water. Now of course I don't always drink pure water when I'm thirsty, but I acknowledge that most other beverages are not as healthy for the purpose of quenching your thirst.

Edited by Mr ProgFreak - March 22 2010 at 10:29
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2010 at 10:31

Moderate intake

Moderate intake

MODERATE INTAKE

How about eating at most one orange a day, or drinking the juice of one orange? That would seem properly moderate to me. Orange juice is much too concentrated - too much glucose and *way* too much fructose, even if you only have a small glass IMO.
thellama73 View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2010 at 10:34
I ate five oranges a day for much of college and never got sick and never gained weight. Oranges are good for you.
The Pessimist View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2010 at 10:36

DRINK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
"Market value is irrelevant to intrinsic value."

Arnold Schoenberg
Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2010 at 10:37

Moderate intake

Moderate intake

MODERATE INTAKE

How about eating at most one orange a day, or drinking the juice of one orange? That would seem properly moderate to me. Orange juice is much too concentrated - too much glucose and *way* too much fructose, even if you only have a small glass IMO.

C'mon Mike.  Drinking one glass of orange juice every morning is not going to send your fasting blood sugar to hell, or drastically increase your risk for diabetes.
KoS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2010 at 10:48
All the choices seem piss-poor to me.

I'd say, just eat more veggies, stay off sugar and fats(and by this I mean, fats as in cheeseburgers not in stuff like nuts) and refined foods altogether. 
do cardio based exercise but not too much.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2010 at 11:01
^ well, I could have added one option "equal distribution" ... but in the end I'm fairly certain that we each eat by one of the three choices. In the USA high-carb, low-fat has been recommended for almost half a century, and empirical data confirms that people have been paying attention to those recommendations.  Unfortunately while people have been eating less fat, obesity, heart disease, diabetes etc. haven been increasing, too. This is why I think that maybe trying to eat fewer carbohydrates might be a reasonable thing to do. Even if you just don't drink sodas anymore, that's already an important step towards low-carb.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2010 at 11:02
Originally posted by The Pessimist The Pessimist wrote:

DRINK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now that's a low-carb choice that I fully endorse ... only that it's Johnny Walker Black for me.Wink
Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2010 at 11:06

Some years ago I was weighting 125 Kgms (275 Pounds), being 1.80 Mts. (5.95), I went to a famous Doctor (Ljuba Cannucci) who came from Romania.

She gave some secret pills and she said they didn't contain amphetamines, but as soon as I started to take them, I begun to walk in the walls.

Even though it was obvious I was taking some sort of amphetamines (prescribed by a doctor), I started loosing weight, in less than a month I lost 20 Kms (44 pounds), and in less than 3 months I had lost 40 Kgms (88 Pounds).

I was almost in my ideal weight, but with my nerves destroyed for a long time....Now I grew fat up to 95 Kgms (about 33 extra pounds and only eliminated the sugar, the sodas and started to run 3 Kms a day...In 3 months I'm slightly above my ideal IMC (26), and healthy.

Dr. Canucci was radical and I wouldn't recommend her pills, but with hat weight, drastic measures were required.

Iván

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2010 at 11:08

Moderate intake

Moderate intake

MODERATE INTAKE

C'mon Mike.  Drinking one glass of orange juice every morning is not going to send your fasting blood sugar to hell, or drastically increase your risk for diabetes.

I'm not so sure. For most people, that sugar gets added to that of bread and jelly ... and since the fructose messes up some of the hormones that signal satiety (Grehlin etc) this sugar overkill in the morning makes it much harder for you to resist the candy bars ...

Today my breakfast consisted of a tall coffee with cream ... and for lunch I had a large piece of cooked salmon with a cup of vegetables. Half an hour ago I also ate a hand full of nuts. Almost zero carbs so far, and I'm feeling fine ... and I'll probably have some scrambled eggs with bacon for dinner, and maybe some cheese.

It's strange that people (laypeople and some nutritionists too) are referring to glucose as the primary source of energy for humans ... I would say that fat is a better candidate for that position. We can survive on fat and protein, but not on carbs and protein.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2010 at 11:16
Originally posted by Ivan_Melgar_M Ivan_Melgar_M wrote:

Some years ago I was weighting 125 Kgms (275 Pounds), being 1.80 Mts. (5.95), I went to a famous Doctor (Ljuba Cannucci) who came from Romania.

She gave some secret pills and she said they didn't contain amphetamines, but as soon as I started to take them, I begun to walk in the walls.

Even though it was obvious I was taking some sort of amphetamines (prescribed by a doctor), I started loosing weight, in less than a month I lost 20 Kms (44 pounds), and in less than 3 months I had lost 40 Kgms (88 Pounds).

I was almost in my ideal weight, but with my nerves destroyed for a long time....Now I grew fat up to 95 Kgms (about 33 extra pounds and only eliminated the sugar, the sodas and started to run 3 Kms a day...In 3 months I'm slightly above my ideal IMC (26), and healthy.

Dr. Canucci was radical and I wouldn't recommend her pills, but with hat weight, drastic measures were required.

Iván

I'm 1.80 meters tall, too - and last year my weight peaked at 118kg ... it's not as much, but comparable.  My target weight is 85kg ... and I've already lost 7kg in the last few weeks.

You say that you cut back sugar and it worked for you. If you also eat lots of carbohydrates (bread, rice, pasta, sweet fruits etc), keep in mind that in the end even the complex carbohydrates are converted to simple sugar (glucose and fructose) before they are absorbed into the bloodstream - the only difference is the speed at which it happens, but if you gorge on pasta, it can have a similar effect as a candy bar.

My advice would be to cut back further on the carbs and see how it goes ... it might save you the strenuous workout. One other interesting thing about workouts while you're eating fewer calories (but lots of carbs among them) is that the body starts to limit resources in other areas in order to accomodate the workout in combination with the low caloric intake. If my theory is correct - and many people smarter than me support it - then replacing more carbs with fat (like putting a bit more butter/cheese/meat on thinner slices of bread) can shift that equation ... your body will still burn fat reserves, but without the symptoms of starvation (exhaustion).
KoS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2010 at 13:58
Just got to post this again, it supports some of what Mr. Progfreak is saying.

Pay attention to the bio-chem part.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2010 at 14:10
^ by all means. I even got some dextrose (glucose) today to replace the sucrose (table sugar) in my kitchen. Even though I'm going low-carb, I'll still want some sugar in my Chai tea.Big smile
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2010 at 16:55
Could there be a low-fat, low-carb diet? That's the one that is the best Wink 
aapatsos View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2010 at 17:01
Mediterranean diet and good exercise Wink

The only oil that is allowed to enter my premises is olive oil... I do not claim losing substantial weight, but at least I maintain the current (still heavy though...) and making efforts to go down...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>