Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedIs there any love for the Residents on here?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2012 at 13:05
What is the most accessible Residents album? I've heard many of them and have been disappointed. Thanks.
“Music is enough for a lifetime but a lifetime is not enough for music.” - Sergei Rachmaninov
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2012 at 13:15
There really isn't such a thing.
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2012 at 13:17
Originally posted by Mirror Image Mirror Image wrote:

What is the most accessible Residents album? I've heard many of them and have been disappointed. Thanks.

Could be one of these: 

Commercial Album
Duck Stab/Buster and Glen
Fingerprince
Meet the Residents
Whatever Happened to Vileness Fats

I'd say stay away from everything recorded after 1984-1985. Slartibartfast is the only fan in the whole world who actually prefers their recent stuff.

Edited by Saperlipopette! - August 07 2012 at 13:21
thellama73 View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2012 at 13:19

Yeah, it's tough to say. It depends on what you like. My favorites are Meet the Residents and Not Available. If you enjoy avant garde stuff like Captain Beefheart, you might like those. Eskimo is really cool and completely different. It's basically just sound effects and faux primitive chanting. It's very evocative and I love it,but completely unlike their other work. If you like ambient you might enjoy it.

Truthfully most of their albums are intentionally bad for the sake of being intentionally bad. If that doesn't sound like fun to you, you might want to stay away from them.
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2012 at 13:24
Try Meet the Residents, but as others here have mentioned, the style of this band doesn't really put to mind a word like 'accessible'. 
I would stay away from Eskimo and the mole trilogy though.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2012 at 13:27
Originally posted by thellama73 thellama73 wrote:

Truthfully most of their albums are intentionally bad for the sake of being intentionally bad. If that doesn't sound like fun to you, you might want to stay away from them.
I said something similar to this in my review of "The Big Bubble" LOL

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2012 at 13:27
^The Mole trilogy is dense and confusing as hell. That being said, I quite enjoy it. Smile
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2012 at 13:32
The Mole "Trilogy" is more like a Unigy. (a word for "one-part epic" that I just made up).

Mark of the Mole is a fantastic part one, but then they weren't sure what to do after that.

-Kehlog Albran
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2012 at 13:32
Originally posted by thellama73 thellama73 wrote:

^The Mole trilogy is dense and confusing as hell. That being said, I quite enjoy it. Smile

LOLConfusing eh? That's probably a fair description...

BTW Steve here just wrote a terrific review of Mole, which incidentally made me change my mind about the thing: 

HolyMoly 
Prog Reviewer
4 stars Mark of the Mole is among the Residents' most successful, emotionally potent, gimmick-free offerings. By this time, the Residents had completely embraced keyboards/synthesizers as a key instrument, but instead of using them for goofy bloops and bleeps (as they did on the couple of albums prior to this), they use them to create a dark purple sky of doom and despair. The result is not only a near-perfect sonic depiction of the concept's subject matter (the plight of the Moles and their eventual migration to the land of the Chubs, where they are persecuted), but also a musically engaging affair that works on its own even without the concept.

It begins with "Voices of the Air", kind of a prelude in the form of radio announcers announcing the coming storm that will eventually wipe out the Moles' homeland. It's kind of bright and catchy in a perverse way. "The Ultimate Disaster" follows, probably the highlight of the album - doomy chanted vocals underneath scary and jarring synth sounds. "Migration" and "Another Land" move the plot along, not quite as impressive musically, but not trivial either. Things really pick up again for the last segment, "A New Machine" and "Final Confrontation", which return to loud, almost industrial mechanical sounds and screaming washes of synth, with urgent vocals underneath, building to a terrifying climax.

This album signaled a new era for the Residents; through the rest of the 1980s they would further explore the concept-album-rendered-in-heavy-keyboards path, but this is the only album from that decade (barring the excellent "God in Three Persons") where you really feel like the Residents were putting a lot of care and attention into their music. Every doomy moment feels like it's on its way somewhere, carrying you forward through the story. One of the 5 best Residents albums, in my opinion.

HolyMoly | 4/5 | 
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2012 at 13:33
^^ whoa! extreme closeup!Wacko

edit: and thank you for using the word "terrific" to describe my review.

Edited by HolyMoly - August 07 2012 at 13:35

-Kehlog Albran
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2012 at 13:34
Originally posted by HolyMoly HolyMoly wrote:

^^ whoa! extreme closeup!Wacko

Yeah what happened there?LOL

Usually the avi just stays like its normal self, when you copy-paste reviews from the actual review page. Even so, I like the in your face experience here....

Edited by Guldbamsen - August 07 2012 at 13:37

- Douglas Adams
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2012 at 13:40
^Nice review. Mark of the Mole is one of my favorites (a fivestar to me), but I wouldn't reccomend it for getting someone into The Residents. The Big Bubble is pretty pointless, but Intermission is fantastic imo and Tunes of Two Cities too. 
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2012 at 13:46
Thanks.  I forgot about "Intermission" but that one is great too.  I think of it as part of "Mark of the Mole".  Tunes of two Cities isn't bad, but does little to augment the Mole concept, in my opinion.  Just a bunch of bright and dark songs alternating with each other.

-Kehlog Albran
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2012 at 13:50
Originally posted by Saperlipopette! Saperlipopette! wrote:

^Nice review. Mark of the Mole is one of my favorites (a fivestar to me), but I wouldn't reccomend it for getting someone into The Residents. The Big Bubble is pretty pointless, but Intermission is fantastic imo and Tunes of Two Cities too. 

Nah me neither. I just saw that he had logged off, and I suddenly remembered this review. 
My mind doesn't work in a straight line.

- Douglas Adams
The Hemulen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2012 at 14:26

The Big Bubble is pretty pointless

Boo! I love it, though I will accept I'm in something of a minority in this regard.
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2012 at 14:32
I love Tunes of Two Cities, but find The Big Bubble pretty much unlistenable.
Mirror Image View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2012 at 15:07

I own Mark of the Mole and the only reason I keep it is to remind me that The Residents are incapable of making music I enjoy. LOL Frank Zappa did the whole zany music thing much better and with much better musicianship.

“Music is enough for a lifetime but a lifetime is not enough for music.” - Sergei Rachmaninov
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2012 at 15:14

I own Mark of the Mole and the only reason I keep it is to remind me that The Residents are incapable of making music I enjoy. LOL Frank Zappa did the whole zany music thing much better and with much better musicianship.

Well, none of us reccomends Mark of the Mole for starters. And Residents are better than Zappa at being an anti band making anti-music. But I have a feeling they're not for you.
Mirror Image View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2012 at 15:25

Well, none of us reccomends Mark of the Mole for starters. And Residents are better than Zappa at being an anti band making anti-music. But I have a feeling they're not for you.

I don't like the idea of anti-music. That's just absurd to me. The idea of making fun of music seems only approach to guys like Weird Al Yankovic who I suppose are apart of the same kind of music category. Whatever that could be.

By the way, The Mark of the Mole was suggested to me by a hardcore progressive rock friend of mine, but what he didn't realize is that I'm really into Symphonic Prog. Music, for me, is a serious thing, but I do like the occasional humorous musical reference and so on. I was just curious is there anything musically substantial in The Residents' large discography. Specifially, an album that relies on good musicianship and that does take itself seriously.

Edited by Mirror Image - August 07 2012 at 15:25
brainstormer View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2012 at 15:34
I liked the Residents in the early 80's, and a bit afterward, but right now, I can't
listen to them anymore.  I got tired of them thematically with their anti-religious
stuff, but was listening to them until around 2005, even after that, just not that
stuff. Now I find I don't like them much, either early or newer.
--
Robert Pearson
Regenerative Music http://www.regenerativemusic.net
Telical Books http://www.telicalbooks.com
ParaMind Brainstorming Software http://www.paramind.net

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>