Forum Home Forum Home > Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements > Help us improve the site
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedRating without Reviewing

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rating without Reviewing
    Posted: March 22 2010 at 22:09

As some of you may know, I consider myself a terrible reviewer of albums as I know very little about the music making process.  I do not feel I'm doing an album any justice if all I can do is try to come up with creative ways to say, "sounds good" or "sounds bad".  This has me considering taking the option of rating albums without writing a review for them (unless I could actually figure out something interesting to add) as opposed to continuing to do nothing at all.  As I know it is the goal of this site to get as many reviews as possible I wanted to get the ProgArchives community's take on this.  This might not technically be a poll but I am asking a question:

How negatively do you look at the idea of rating without reviewing?

Time always wins.
A Person View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2010 at 22:11
I just did that a while ago, now if I get around to writing reviews I have a list already made.
thellama73 View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2010 at 22:13
I personally find it a bit of a cop out. If you can't be bothered to say why you like or dislike an album, why should your opinion county towards that album's rating?

That being said, far be it from me to tell you what to do. The site admins have permitted ratings without reviews so obviously they think it's okay. They have also given those ratings a lower weighting than those accompanied by a review. Seems fair to me. Of course there are also some members of the site whose English is not good enough to write a proper review, and their opinions should not be discounted simply due to a language barrier. I suspect that is a large part of why such ratings are allowed in the first place.
Epignosis View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2010 at 22:25
Great question.

Honestly (I am being honest here), ratings without reviews do not mean much to me (with a few exceptions), and I'll tell you why:

Ratings without reviews often reek of impersonal manipulation.  For example, on my album, I've got one star ratings from individuals that I would bet my last beer have never even heard my album.

That said, some do not want to write reviews, but care to express an opinion, and so I think this is very cool that this site allows that (and to accommodate those of limited English).

Anyway, I look to two different classes of reviewers:

1. Those who share my taste.  These guys (like ClemofNazareth, for instance) like what I like, so reading their reviews of albums I do not have will encourage me to seek those out.

2. Those who consistently write well.  TGM: Orb is a great writer (first name to come to mind- there are many others), and he is very detailed.  But to be honest, sometimes I do not care to read a long review, and so someone like Evolver is perfect (he should be a prog reviewer in my opinion- he has almost passed me in number of reviews, and he is a master of brevity).

Bonus: Those who are entertaining: ExittheLemming gets this category- a master of words, and I read most of his reviews even if I do not know the album in question. 

My point here is this:  Write reviews.

Seriously- you only need 200 words, and on nearly any studio album, good or bad, that is easy to achieve.  Write your 200+ words, and post it.

Plus, reviews count more than ratings alone, so it's worth your while to let your voice be heard five times!
TGM: Orb View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2010 at 22:42
The one thing I'll say for the often frustrating and generally self-defeating act of reviewing is that it makes you think about the album you're rating and try to understand what you like about it, and, in the process, I usually get to enjoy an album much more and know it a bit more deeply. I think I'd overlooked a few of the better parts and more interesting little nuances of Trisector until I listened to it in the last couple of days with a review in mind.
rpe9p View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2010 at 22:43
I understand where you are coming from, and I have also considered the same issue.  I have rated a ton of albums with just rating on rym but never done the same here on PA (part of the problem would be converting from the .5 scale)

If you can, saying anything it is going to be more useful than just a rating, but I also find that hard because I dont know that much about music (other than knowing what I like) and I'm not a very good writer.  Frankly half of me wants to go back and delete the few reviews I did a while back just because im not a good writer and im self-conscious about posting my poorly-written reviews on the internet.

A lot of the time I would only have a few sentences to say about an album and so I dont review it because I am intimidated by all the really great reviewers there are on PA.  After reading these multi-paragraph eloquent reviews, who wants to see us write "This album rocks!  I really like this song because its really cool and emotional and I like that part in the middle."  At the same time though, there are albums out there with very few ratings that I think are great and would want others to take notice of.
^^see, ending a sentence with a preposition, told you im not a good writer
thellama73 View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2010 at 22:45
^People who end sentences with prepositions piss me off. Angry
I mean.... they piss off me? Oh dear. Ouch
Epignosis View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2010 at 22:49
Originally posted by thellama73 thellama73 wrote:

Ohhhhh....Angry

That's the sort of thing up with which I shall not put.
A Person View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2010 at 22:53
Originally posted by Epignosis Epignosis wrote:

Originally posted by thellama73 thellama73 wrote:

Ohhhhh....Angry

That's the sort of thing up with which I shall not put.

LOL
manofmystery View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2010 at 01:19
Originally posted by rpe9p rpe9p wrote:

I understand where you are coming from, and I have also considered the same issue.  I have rated a ton of albums with just rating on rym but never done the same here on PA (part of the problem would be converting from the .5 scale)

If you can, saying anything it is going to be more useful than just a rating, but I also find that hard because I dont know that much about music (other than knowing what I like) and I'm not a very good writer.  Frankly half of me wants to go back and delete the few reviews I did a while back just because im not a good writer and im self-conscious about posting my poorly-written reviews on the internet.

A lot of the time I would only have a few sentences to say about an album and so I dont review it because I am intimidated by all the really great reviewers there are on PA.  After reading these multi-paragraph eloquent reviews, who wants to see us write "This album rocks!  I really like this song because its really cool and emotional and I like that part in the middle."  At the same time though, there are albums out there with very few ratings that I think are great and would want others to take notice of.
^^see, ending a sentence with a preposition, told you im not a good writer

This is exactly the problem I have: have no idea how to write a review that actually adds anything of value.  Seems to me that any review I write would be of no more value than a simple rating, unless it is an album with very few reviews.

Time always wins.
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2010 at 01:45
Originally posted by manofmystery manofmystery wrote:

As some of you may know, I consider myself a terrible reviewer of albums as I know very little about the music making process.  I do not feel I'm doing an album any justice if all I can do is try to come up with creative ways to say, "sounds good" or "sounds bad".  This has me considering taking the option of rating albums without writing a review for them (unless I could actually figure out something interesting to add) as opposed to continuing to do nothing at all.  As I know it is the goal of this site to get as many reviews as possible I wanted to get the ProgArchives community's take on this.  This might not technically be a poll but I am asking a question:

How negatively do you look at the idea of rating without reviewing?

I've read many of your forum posts and as you can clearly articulate your ideas very adeptly there is no hindrance to your ability to write reviews. Make up any old crap if you get stuck (I doEmbarrassed)
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2010 at 02:50
Being a writer does not necessarily mean you can write reviews. I enjoy writing and can spew pages of prose on any subject under the sun, but reviews blank me every time. It's a gift and an art I just was not blessed. With.
What?
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2010 at 03:39
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

Being a writer does not necessarily mean you can write reviews. I enjoy writing and can spew pages of prose on any subject under the sun, but reviews blank me every time. It's a gift and an art I just was not blessed. With.

Au contraire
, there's nowt too shabby about this:

http://www.progarchives.com/Review.asp?id=126583

(and it is a work of labyrinthine conceptual genius compared to some of the 'scribbled notes stuck to the fridge' that masquerade as reviews on the front page these days. (pah, those pesky parents, I blame the kids)
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2010 at 13:52
Originally posted by ExittheLemming ExittheLemming wrote:

Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

Au contraire
, there's nowt too shabby about this:

http://www.progarchives.com/Review.asp?id=126583

(and it is a work of labyrinthine conceptual genius compared to some of the 'scribbled notes stuck to the fridge' that masquerade as reviews on the front page these days. (pah, those pesky parents, I blame the kids)
Embarrassed oops! (Didn't think anyone actually read the bloody things). Half a dozen reviews in 3 years is nothing to shout about - for me they are the hardest pieces of writing I've ever written, they don't flow from the pen with the ease I would like. I really and honestly admire all the natural reviewers we have here.
What?
aapatsos View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2010 at 14:08
I do not pay too much attention in ratings w/o reviews. As others mentioned above, it is just a matter of a few minutes to write a number of sentences describing your feelings, why you like/dislike the album and how it sounds like. It might not make a great review, but it will have some validity because you bothered to spend some time writing it.
toroddfuglesteg View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Retired

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2010 at 15:58

Out of pure respect for bands; always write a review. They have left their guts in the studio. No matter if the result is a turkey (1 star) or a soaring eagle (5 star); they deserve at least 100 words.

I call this "good manners".

harmonium.ro View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2010 at 16:10
If you're talking about that Supertramp review by Dean, I still remember when it came out on the home page. Great stuff. 
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2010 at 16:19
Speaking as someone who doesn't put much stock in ratings to begin with, I have no problems with ratings without reviews.  If I'm deciding whether or not to add an album to my collection I look at written reviews.  Better yet run down some streaming tracks.
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

UMUR View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2010 at 16:21
Iīm not much for the rating without review either unless you have serious trouble expressing your feelings about an album in English. Reviews donīt have to be long researched pieces of art. Just a short description of your feelings about the album is enough. 100 words arenīt that much really. If you feel like youīre wasting your time writing about the classics because everything has already been said and done, go seek out some of the thousands of unreviewed albums on PA. Even a short review of one of those albums will be an asset to the site IMO. Not everyone has the time to do reviews and I guess a rating is a way to express your feelings about an album if thatīs the case. Iīm a bit biased here to be honest.
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2010 at 17:25
Originally posted by toroddfuglesteg toroddfuglesteg wrote:

Out of pure respect for bands; always write a review. They have left their guts in the studio. No matter if the result is a turkey (1 star) or a soaring eagle (5 star); they deserve at least 100 words.

I call this "good manners".

This is exactly what I think, especially when dealing with bands or artists that cannot afford to make music professionally (the majority of them nowadays, at least in the prog world). For the same reason, I always try not to be gratuitously offensive when writing a negative review - stuff like 'avoid at all costs' is something that you will never see me write.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>