Forum Home Forum Home > Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements > Help us improve the site
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedRating without Reviewing

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2010 at 17:55
To be completely honest, ratings are ONLY helpful to me when I know the person who rates the albums personally, and/or they are very prolific with their ratings. If they were to have over 400 ratings, I would take their opinion into consideration. Keep in mind, however, that ratings never appear on the front page, and there's no list for the most prolific raters. For that reason, it's hard for me to even be aware of who has how many ratings.

Also, as mentioned, reviews can be as brief as you want them to be. You don't need to write an entire novel on the album. A few paragraphs let us know your opinion, so long as you can justify it. All in all, ratings are rarely helpful to me. Take 15 minutes and write a short review. I often find reviews that are brief and concise to be better than ones that meander upon one subject for far too long.

I'm not a great writer at school, but I have a natural love for writing subjective reviews, and I get some positive comments from people every now and again, which lets me know that people actually read those things LOL

Just my two cents,
-Jeff

Check out my YouTube channel! http://www.youtube.com/user/demiseoftime
Epignosis View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2010 at 18:06
Originally posted by J-Man J-Man wrote:

Keep in mind, however, that ratings never appear on the front page, and there's no list for the most prolific raters. For that reason, it's hard for me to even be aware of who has how many ratings.

That's a killer point.

If you don't write a review, no one even knows you rated an album. 
J-Man View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2010 at 18:19
Originally posted by Epignosis Epignosis wrote:

Originally posted by J-Man J-Man wrote:

Keep in mind, however, that ratings never appear on the front page, and there's no list for the most prolific raters. For that reason, it's hard for me to even be aware of who has how many ratings.

That's a killer point.

If you don't write a review, no one even knows you rated an album. 

I'd actually love it if there was a list of the people with the most ratings somewhere on the site. Some people have tons of legitimate ratings, but they never get noticed with the current site layout. Unfortunately, there's no way to know if ratings are legitimate, and I would assume that people would submit as many ratings as they can, just to get to the top of the list.

-Jeff

toroddfuglesteg View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Retired

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2010 at 18:21

A couple of years ago, I got an email from a girl whose father had died some months before. I was not aware of this though... But I had reviewed an album where he did the vocals. I think I gave it two out of six points or something like that. 

But her point was that I had cared about her father by reviewing that album. My review was the only online review of that album on the net. Through my email, his name and passion for music was still alive.

That email made a big impact on me and has made me put in an effort on the more obscure and unknown bands here in PA. This is also why all my old reviews from other fanzines are still being made available through my website. 

WalterDigsTunes View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2010 at 18:32
If you just want to rate your music, there's other sites for that. If you want to review your prog, well, here you are.
J-Man View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2010 at 19:30
Originally posted by toroddfuglesteg toroddfuglesteg wrote:

A couple of years ago, I got an email from a girl whose father had died some months before. I was not aware of this though... But I had reviewed an album where he did the vocals. I think I gave it two out of six points or something like that. 

But her point was that I had cared about her father by reviewing that album. My review was the only online review of that album on the net. Through my email, his name and passion for music was still alive.

That email made a big impact on me and has made me put in an effort on the more obscure and unknown bands here in PA. This is also why all my old reviews from other fanzines are still being made available through my website. 

Wow, that's a pretty touching story Heart

Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2010 at 06:08
For an up-and-coming band or artist, every review is meaningful. I have had artists send me emails of thanks for my reviews (at least the positive ones... haven't got any hate mail yetWink), and I am happy in turn to have done something to help them along on a path that certainly is not easy. Obviously, a rating instead of a full review won't have any effect on the likes of Yes, Genesis or Pink Floyd, but the majority of the bands or artists in our database are nowhere in that league - and, for them, those few words on a screen do make a difference, and a big one sometimes.
UMUR View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2010 at 07:18
Yep I´ve had similar experiences with smaller artists giving feedback to reviews I´ve written. To those types of artists a review means the world. Even if it´s not all positive things you include in the review. I recently wrote a review of Life Stage debut EP: http://www.progarchives.com/Review.asp?id=267298 and made a small critisism of the vocals on the EP. The singer Ross Phillips contacted me shortly after and told me that he was really happy about the review and that the part about the vocals made an impact. So reviews do mean something to the artists.
Nightfly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2010 at 14:21
Originally posted by manofmystery manofmystery wrote:

Originally posted by rpe9p rpe9p wrote:

I understand where you are coming from, and I have also considered the same issue.  I have rated a ton of albums with just rating on rym but never done the same here on PA (part of the problem would be converting from the .5 scale)

If you can, saying anything it is going to be more useful than just a rating, but I also find that hard because I dont know that much about music (other than knowing what I like) and I'm not a very good writer.  Frankly half of me wants to go back and delete the few reviews I did a while back just because im not a good writer and im self-conscious about posting my poorly-written reviews on the internet.

A lot of the time I would only have a few sentences to say about an album and so I dont review it because I am intimidated by all the really great reviewers there are on PA.  After reading these multi-paragraph eloquent reviews, who wants to see us write "This album rocks!  I really like this song because its really cool and emotional and I like that part in the middle."  At the same time though, there are albums out there with very few ratings that I think are great and would want others to take notice of.
^^see, ending a sentence with a preposition, told you im not a good writer

This is exactly the problem I have: have no idea how to write a review that actually adds anything of value.  Seems to me that any review I write would be of no more value than a simple rating, unless it is an album with very few reviews.

At least if you've written a review, even if you think it's not great, what it does show is you've put some thought into the rating for the album. now while I'm sure many people who rate only have put some thought into their ratings there's no way of distinguishing them from the trolls who'll come along and give every album they dislike 1 star. Besides, your review will carry more weight and you may surprise yourself and improve with practice.
crimhead View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2010 at 18:11
I'm not sure if anyone wants my opinion on music.
A Person View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2010 at 19:05
Originally posted by crimhead crimhead wrote:

The great thing about the internet is that you can give it anyway. LOL
tarkus1980 View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2010 at 09:21
Originally posted by crimhead crimhead wrote:

Never stopped me!!
AtomicCrimsonRush View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2010 at 23:13
Originally posted by UMUR UMUR wrote:

Yep I´ve had similar experiences with smaller artists giving feedback to reviews I´ve written. To those types of artists a review means the world. Even if it´s not all positive things you include in the review. I recently wrote a review of Life Stage debut EP: http://www.progarchives.com/Review.asp?id=267298 and made a small critisism of the vocals on the EP. The singer Ross Phillips contacted me shortly after and told me that he was really happy about the review and that the part about the vocals made an impact. So reviews do mean something to the artists.

That's great when an artist contacts you and thanks you for the work. I had the same thing with Paul Cusick when I reviewed his debut, he even gave me some tips on the lyrics to his songs that i got wrong. Of course i was grateful and fixed the reviews to coincide with the correct lyrics. I was flattered that he even bothered to contact me as i was first reviewer of his album. I gave it 4 stars but he said I got it pretty right.
Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2010 at 23:25
Originally posted by AtomicCrimsonRush AtomicCrimsonRush wrote:

That's great when an artist contacts you and thanks you for the work. I had the same thing with Paul Cusick when I reviewed his debut, he even gave me some tips on the lyrics to his songs that i got wrong. Of course i was grateful and fixed the reviews to coincide with the correct lyrics. I was flattered that he even bothered to contact me as i was first reviewer of his album. I gave it 4 stars but he said I got it pretty right.

That's excellent, I received many comments from artists like John Fontana from Shadow Circus, Anton Roolaart, Alex Carpani and some really emotional like the new vocalist from El Reloj and many others I don't remember now.

The advantage I have is that i added a lot of artists, some of which keep a virtual friendship, like the already mentioned, a couple of members from Magenta, Contrarian and Zsolt Enyedi from Yesterdays (Romania) who sent me a collection of albums from his favourite Romanian artists which I have already reviewed here, but most important, always sends me a mail for Christmas.Hug Honestly, receiving this Christmas mail was one of the most rewarding experiences I had in PA.

This is the best payment you get, the friendship from musicians who take the time to write you a couple of words.

Of course I had  a pair negative ones (two to be precise), one from an artist who was pissed because we placed his band in Neo Prog and not in Symphonic and a recent one from a musician who was not pleased with my opinions (despite I rated his album with 3 stars).....But at least you know they read your reviews.

Iván

Edited by Ivan_Melgar_M - May 11 2010 at 23:31

caretaker View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2010 at 07:22
speaking as a newbie, i don't have a problem with it but i would rather read your opinion too. that's one of the best things about PA to me. i like the reviews on the classic stuff but  i've been  out of prog for awhile and the reviews on the newer bands are really valuable to me. creative shmeative.
Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2010 at 11:45

I honestly don't trust in reviews without rating at all.

There's an album that has not been released yet, but yesterday had 6 ratings with 5 stars...........Would you believe this people listened it?

ANATHEMA We're Here Because We're Here

ratings only

chronological order | showing rating only

It has gone down only because one lonely guy reviewed it with 2 stars and a review has 5X weight.

If I'm the first one to listen an album, the first thing I'm doing is a review to tell peole how good it is.

Does somebody believe all this people received an album from the band before released? A band sends promo albums to people who are going to make a review....They won't waste the cost of the album plus the shipping and taxes to receive a rating without a review, they send their promos to critics or reviewers, not to fanboys. 

Iván

Edited by Ivan_Melgar_M - May 12 2010 at 12:02

Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2010 at 12:30
There are raters that I trust whose tastes are similar to mine, and so I can appreciate ratings without reviews.  I have benefited from prolific raters such as Roctopus and Yukorin (I have enjoyed what reviews I've read of his since I enjoy his rather perverse sense of humour) in the past.  I generally don't feel like writing reviews, it tends to kill my enjoyment of the music and feels too much like my job.

I've often looked at raters' block lists, even if I haven't been familiar with them before -- sometimes because I question the rating, and other times because I agreed with the rating.  I look at ratings more than read reviews (I might skim them a bit).  If I know the music, I don't generally feel the need to read a review here, and if I don't I don't want other impressions to affect mine too much commonly.  I tend to discover music not through PA reviews, though (youtube is a common way, and google searches when I'm looking for kinds of music).

I don't trust reviews or ratings unless I know that person has sufficiently similar tastes to mine. 

I think it not good when people rate or rate with review thinking about manipulating the ratings so the weighting of a review vs. rating without review is unimportant to me. I wouldn't write  a review so that my rating carries more weight, I think that's the wrong reason to do it, and if I were to write reviews I'd rather focus on those that haven't been reviewed.  I just did a 5 star rating for an album of an artist I recently added (looks better to have it rated then no ratings at all, I think), and I might write a review when I have the time, but I have no reason to think that people will care or notice what I say.  I find creating a topic for an album/ artist a better use of my time and is likely to bring more exposure to the artist than writing a review (at least then I can post music samples). 

Though average ratings interest me, I don't give them much weight.

I respect reviewers, but I like to discuss music.  If we had a "comment on this review" feature, then I would review more.

I've said it before, but when I was really into film and reading reviews (and I once wrote reviews for a local rag), I disliked ratings period.

Of course many people try to abuse the system with ratings, but I have found ratings personally helpful (but I'm not one for top lists).

Edited by Logan - May 12 2010 at 12:36
Just a fanboy passin' through.
manofmystery View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2010 at 15:59
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

I wouldn't write  a review so that my rating carries more weight, I think that's the wrong reason to do it, and if I were to write reviews I'd rather focus on those that haven't been reviewed.  I just did a 5 star rating for an album of an artist I recently added (looks better to have it rated then no ratings at all, I think), and I might write a review when I have the time, but I have no reason to think that people will care or notice what I say.  I find creating a topic for an album/ artist a better use of my time and is likely to bring more exposure to the artist than writing a review (at least then I can post music samples). 

Though average ratings interest me, I don't give them much weight.

I respect reviewers, but I like to discuss music.  If we had a "comment on this review" feature, then I would review more.

I've said it before, but when I was really into film and reading reviews (and I once wrote reviews for a local rag), I disliked ratings period.

Of course many people try to abuse the system with ratings, but I have found ratings personally helpful (but I'm not one for top lists).

This is a same point in your larger statement but it is a good one.  Is there anything really left to be said about albums such as CTTE of DSoTM?  I obviously don't do much reviewing (for reasons I've already expressed) but when I have the one's I've felt best about are the albums that had very little already said about them.  I do believe that if you are the first to rate and album or you are rating any album with very little already said about it then you should try to add a review, even if it is just barely over the minimum.
Reviewing lesser know albums can also be rewarding: a little over a year ago a newer member sent me a message thanking me for a review a wrote leading him/her to a group they would otherwise have never heard of.

Think what I may do at this point is rate the albums that already have a million reviews and hold out on the lesser known stuff until I can actually think of something to say about it.

Time always wins.
harmonium.ro View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2010 at 03:21

Is there anything really left to be said about albums such as CTTE of DSoTM?

Yes, that's possible - recently a new reviewer registered for PA and posted reviews on classic albums that I found myself reading with great pleasure, and checking his review list for more! He got promoted Prog Reviewer in less than a week, I think. Anyway, it is also a good idea to review some classics because in this way you can let people know the orientation of your tastes.
Epignosis View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2010 at 06:56
Originally posted by harmonium.ro harmonium.ro wrote:

Is there anything really left to be said about albums such as CTTE of DSoTM?

Anyway, it is also a good idea to review some classics because in this way you can let people know the orientation of your tastes.

Well said.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>