Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedHoelderlin - So underrated, don't you think?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hoelderlin - So underrated, don't you think?
    Posted: March 23 2010 at 17:52
I just discovered Hoelderlin... I had listened to their first album, Hölderlin's Traum, previously, but I wasn't impressed by it, except that I had thought the title track was pretty fine. Recently I transferred the album to my portable digital audio player and liked the album. Especially tracks number 1, 4 and 7 are quite fine.

It was when I got their eponymous album (their second) that I was stunned by the sheer beauty and magnificience of their music! In fact, I have to say that it's so misleading and even maybe incorrect to place Hoelderlin in Prog Folk category, since clearly the second album and the ones following it are much closer to various other sub-genres than prog folk. I recommend that Hoelderlin is moved to Eclectic Prog category...

Anyway, the Genesis and King Crimson influence is evident in their music and also a certain amount of Italian prog; there are even some Canterbury style jazzy instrumental sections or extended textures -without the fuzz organ, though. It's a mellotron drenched album with great violin/viola playing, great instrumental diversity and interplay between the instruments, virtuoso playing, constant tempo shifts, juxtaposition of contrasting moods, psychedelic/spacey atmospheres, a balanced fusion of jazz and symphonic prog with folky touches still ... In short, this album contains everything you would want in a good prog album.  BUT unfortunately only 16 people have rated the album which proves that this great gem is unknown by most progheads. Whereas their first album have been rated by 36 people. And surprisingly their nice folky first album is rated higher than their magnificient second, which is shockingly unrepresentative of the truth: their second crushes the first one without a doubt, imo.

Please get this album and see for yourself how great it is!

The following albums, Clowns & Clouds, and Rare Birds are also fine albums with great moments of their own -and some weaker parts, too. However if you get their second album and like it, chances are you will want more of that taste and you will find there's more of that great music in their third and fourth albums, also -but don't expect anything as good as their second...

Also, their live album "Live Tramstadt" is full of extended instrumental sections and a wonderful performance overall. Its essential for anyone who likes Hoelderlin's music...

One last note: the remasters are horribly compressed and harsh on the ears. I recommend the orginal releases (on the wmms label) -none of which seems to need any remastering at all.

Anyway... I'd like to hear your opinions of Hoelderlin

AND, what group would you recommend me that is similar to Hoelderlin's non-folky second and later albums?

Edited by meurglys0 - March 23 2010 at 22:57
shockedjazz View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2010 at 12:19
Holderlins traum is a masterpiece!! Im gonna review it very soon. It have one of those growers that stay wit you forever but still in a sutil way.
The music is kind of medieval folk but with the darkness and the beuty of the northern soul- lightly teutonic.
The lirics wich are inspired by the great german poet Holderlin, are as obscure as the poetrie of this genius was, with constan refernces to night,to reality and dream, to myths, and to vagely pagan vagely cristian motivs.
"Requiem fur eine witch" is superb the darkness is thick in the song
Nanny DeRuig can sing beatifully  in a cristaline sobber singing with you can hear in Peter and all trough the disc.
One of my favourites is "Traum" wich is a like weird party  in the woods.
I love this disc! Tongue Clap Clap

Alberto Muñoz View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2010 at 12:34
Great band i have years ago when i listen to the first album, but i remember that is a really great album with a folk vibe not distant from Broselmachine and the likes.

The other album that i hear is the live one of the late 70's, a very quasimystical sound, very orchestral.

Also i recommend to you this band:  http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=92

GentleGiant View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2010 at 12:57
..and this:  http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=22  Wink

Edited by GentleGiant - March 24 2010 at 13:05
BeGiantForADay

"This British band is just the cup of tea for aficionados who demand virtuosity,progress and originality in their mix."

http://rateyourmusic.com/~GentleG
 Post Reply Post Reply