Topic ClosedJeff Beck Eric Clapton Rivalry

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Jeff Beck Eric Clapton Rivalry
    Posted: March 24 2010 at 01:36
Eric Clapton And Jeff Beck: The Death of a Musical Revolution
A dirge, without music, for the last of the piss and spit, rock and roll rivalries.

Jeff Beck and Eric Clapton at Madison Square Garden

"Jeff Beck's re-emergence into the spotlight is introducing his music, and his unique approach to guitar playing, to a new generation of fans. His determination to dissect every chord and note, to move it, bend it and stretch it until it holds no secrets from him. He knows his instrument intimately. He has explored it like a lover. But it is the precision of his fretwork that still impresses most. His fingers seem to fly in a blur, yet he hits every note distinctly."
KyleSchmidlin View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2010 at 19:06
I love Jeff Beck but there is clearly no comparison between him and Eric Clapton.  Clapton is an artist whose good name was sullied by 40 years of rubbish.  But his stuff on the John Mayall album and the Cream stuff is without parallel.  Beck, for all his tricks and gimmicks and talent and flourishes and innovations, simply doesn't get to the heart as directly - and certainly nowhere near as frequently - as Eric Clapton.  I merely choose to ignore trash like "Lay Down Sally" and "It's In The Way That You Use It" - listen to the John Mayall album and listen to some of Clapton's newer stuff, like his Robert Johnson tribute album.
lvblvb View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2013 at 16:31
I agree. I was familiar with Clapton's work, but not so much Jeff Beck. Since I've heard of this rivalry, I decided to check out Beck's recordings. I was disappointed with what I heard, I mean I can play this stuff. I'll never in a hundred years be able to play Clapton's solos with Cream, such as "Crossroads. " Is there really a rivalry? I have to go along with "Clapton is God" if this is his competition.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2013 at 20:21
Interesting comments on the 'rivalry' which imho doesn't really exist except in the minds of some critics and fans.
You might as well throw Page into the rivalry as well since they all emerged from the Brit scene via The Yardbirds.

For me Beck is a better 'technical player' and can play more styles and has a larger variety of techniques he can create. Clapton and Page are feel players or emotional players who are excellent at blues rock and blues in general...but I do not think they can do the things Beck can do when he does fusion and related styles. Could they learn? Probably ,but it's a moot point since they don't play in that style and never will and stick to what they do best.

It's also kind of silly to say who's better since they are different players doing different things...and besides we all know Jimi was the best and even Clapton said so several times in interviews.
Wink
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2013 at 20:37
Mad respect for Jeff Beck, his jazzy, funky, bluesy playing is really good. But I hear a lot of the same from others....When Clapton plays you know its him and only him.

I never got the rivalry thing....
Horizons View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2013 at 20:39
Clapton is boring as hell. 
Crushed like a rose in the riverflow.
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2013 at 21:21
^ He sure is.

Anyone who thinks Jeff Beck is not distinctive, that his stuff is easy to play, or that his tricks, gimmicks and innovations don't add up to much, has never seen him live.   Actually Beck is not the better technical palyer, Clapton is.   But it's Beck who still has the soul, the feeling, and the magic.   Yes, magic.

Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2013 at 21:30
There coming over Charaton Bridge...
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2013 at 01:22

(Page & Plant were in the audience looking on)

Edited by Dean - December 03 2013 at 01:38
What?
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2013 at 01:42
Anyone catch the Ronnie Lane Appeal shows in '82?   Beck, Clapton, Page, Cocker, quite a night.

Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2013 at 15:39
Beck by miles, Clapton was a promise when young but he chose the lazy path and remain stuck in his comfort zone of the 4 chord blues (as a matter of speaking, someone will quickly jump on me taking me literally).
The.Crimson.King View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2013 at 18:43
I think Clapton started out so amazingly and peaked in Cream.  He was an electric blues player without peer (except Jimi of course).  It seemed after the Derek stuff he just crashed and never lived up to his earlier accomplishments.  I never understood critics raving about such watered down unexciting pop as "I Shot the Sheriff" and "Cocaine" Sleepy
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2013 at 22:28
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

^ He sure is.

Anyone who thinks Jeff Beck is not distinctive, that his stuff is easy to play, or that his tricks, gimmicks and innovations don't add up to much, has never seen him live.   Actually Beck is not the better technical palyer, Clapton is.   But it's Beck who still has the soul, the feeling, and the magic.   Yes, magic.

We'll have to agree to disagree on who's technically better since imo Clapton is often sloppy in his leads where Beck  aims at being precise in his fusion leads as he clearly showed on the Ronnie Scott video.
Haquin
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2013 at 22:48
That's fine--  to me Clapton has always been a craftsman, a traditionalist of electric guitar, and has simplified and polished his sound as he's matured.   Sloppy?   I don't think I've ever seen Clapton be sloppy.   Maybe not always very interesting, but never sloppy.   I think we can give that award to one James Patrick Page (whom I adore), Mr. Stumblefingers himself.   What I like about Beck is that he seems to always be pushing at himself and his ax, still hungry to pull out new sounds and ideas.   Eddie Van Halen always credited Clapton as being his main influence but I've always heard more Beck in his playing.
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2013 at 00:37

Left Sir, please.
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2013 at 02:02
I like Claptons take on Confortubly Numb, he deos a good solo on that track, almost Gilmour class

Edited by aginor - December 04 2013 at 02:03
Polymorphia View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2013 at 17:42
I certainly prefer Beck. Can't stand most of Clapton's stuff. I don't really care enough about either to pit them against each other in a discography-digging brawl.

I'll just sit back with some Led Zep records and revel in those beautifully messy guitar adventures.
mot View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2014 at 04:57
Slowhand by far...

dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2014 at 10:39
Clapton 'was a great player' but I don't listen to anything he's done post Layla.....while he still is one of the greatest guitar players , he's not done anything original with it in over 35 years.....imho.
Haquin
uduwudu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2014 at 05:27
I doubt the rivalry thing. Sounds a tad manufactured.

I'm not keen on EC albums that are not live since 1975 (although most of the ones before then. Odd, that. (except for 461 Ocean Boulevard, 1974 but close to the edge there). But in concert I find his playing riveting (except for that Rainbow concert shambles). Of course he has bands that are superbly accomplished musos and you'd be hard put not to sound good around players like Radle, Oldaker and Terry.

I have seen Beck a few times and he is all everyone says he is. I also recall a comment somewhere saying that Beck is one of the most talented rock guitarists - with absolutely nothing to say but a great way of saying it. Still, Wired and Blow By Blow are essential and the records with Rod are just fine. But Rough And Ready is my favourite - because when Beck has something to say it's worth hearing and he wrote most of that ... vocal... album.

Jimmy Page created Led Zeppelin. Big smile Clap Star Approve Thumbs Up Headbanger Bowdown Smile

Jimi Hendrix is unmatched largely because by playing upside down and backwards and not being Albert King (one of the few others of that funny handed ilk) makes him as innovator peerless for eternity. The guy who invented serious rock as we know it today.

As a bonus (!) we could think of Townshend who I've seen and heard him do everything on a guitar - except the amazing lead stuff. Classical (with John Williams), jazz (in his own way), great classical / rock compositions, unique rhythm, dynamics, but not the blues. Interesting.

Not to worry, they're all mates. Except their friend Hendrix who, contrary to current hipster belief, will not be playing is a town near you very soon. Mind you neither is is Page and he has no excuse.

cheers

Post Reply Post Reply