Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Gigs, Tours and Festivals
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Supertramp to perform in Paris,France-October 2010
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedSupertramp to perform in Paris,France-October 2010

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Supertramp to perform in Paris,France-October 2010
    Posted: April 03 2010 at 06:10
In  Paris in 18th October on Palais Omnisports de Paris-Bercy or where ever that is, this fall

here is a link

and if someone can find more info please don't be shye and post it here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rick_Davies
Chris S View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2010 at 06:15
Probably bloody good news too....would love to see another RD led release. The heart of the Tramp.
<font color=Brown>Music - The Sound Librarian

...As I venture through the slipstream, between the viaducts in your dreams...[/COLOR]
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2010 at 06:17
well it is 40 years since the first album release (and 41 years since they become a band)(as it is with Gentle Giant, ELP and Magma to mention a few band with 40 years crises)

Edited by aginor - April 03 2010 at 06:18
genesisfn View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2010 at 19:36
Supertramp hopefully will write & record new material
Hoping Roger Hodgson, Bob C. Benberg & rest of the core of the band re-unite......
Perhaps a tour of USA states too!.........Clap
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2010 at 01:53
and Richard Palmer-JamesHug is also welcome (me hope)
amac View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2010 at 09:38
Just an FYI for all those interested. Roger Hodgson will NOT be part of the upcoming Supertramp shows. But no worries, Roger Hodgson is currently touring worldwide. Check out his website at www.rogerhodgson.com
we are playing dates this year in Australia, South America, Germany, France, Portugal, Canada, U.S. and many more coming. Don't miss the opportunity to catch the Real Heart and voice of the music of Supertramp.
Strawberry Fields View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2010 at 00:19
I saw Roger Hodgson, co-founder of Supertramp, last year while I was on holiday in Paris.  Roger's concert was the best part of my whole trip.   I didn't want the night to end.   I got to hear the original singer perform all of the timeless classics he wrote such as Give a Little Bit, Dreamer, Take the Long Way Home, Breakfast in America, The Logical Song, Fool's Overture, and so very many more.   I very highly recommend seeing Roger in concert.  I understand that he will not be touring with Supertramp on their fall tour but honestly, he doesn't need them.  They need him.  Check out Roger's show and you will see what I'm talking about.  Why go see Supertramp when you can see the original singer, writer, and composer of the great majority of Supertramp's hits?    He was their voice, heart, and soul, without a doubt.    Looks as if I will again be making a trip to France to catch his show.  More than worth it.   Take a look at Roger's website www.RogerHodgson.com.
Chris S View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2010 at 00:37
Originally posted by amac amac wrote:

Just an FYI for all those interested. Roger Hodgson will NOT be part of the upcoming Supertramp shows. But no worries, Roger Hodgson is currently touring worldwide. Check out his website at www.rogerhodgson.com
we are playing dates this year in Australia, South America, Germany, France, Portugal, Canada, U.S. and many more coming. Don't miss the opportunity to catch the Real Heart and voice of the music of Supertramp.
Good news Wink The Real Heart and voice of the music of Supertramp was and always is.....Rick Davies

...As I venture through the slipstream, between the viaducts in your dreams...[/COLOR]
Chris S View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2010 at 00:40
Originally posted by Strawberry Fields Strawberry Fields wrote:

I saw Roger Hodgson, co-founder of Supertramp, last year while I was on holiday in Paris.  Roger's concert was the best part of my whole trip.   I didn't want the night to end.   I got to hear the original singer perform all of the timeless classics he wrote such as Give a Little Bit, Dreamer, Take the Long Way Home, Breakfast in America, The Logical Song, Fool's Overture, and so very many more.   I very highly recommend seeing Roger in concert.  I understand that he will not be touring with Supertramp on their fall tour but honestly, he doesn't need them.  They need him.  Check out Roger's show and you will see what I'm talking about.  Why go see Supertramp when you can see the original singer, writer, and composer of the great majority of Supertramp's hits?    He was their voice, heart, and soul, without a doubt.    Looks as if I will again be making a trip to France to catch his show.  More than worth it.   Take a look at Roger's website www.RogerHodgson.com.
Great to hear....again I have to disagree with you though. Roger Hodgson not rejoining the band he left around 1984 makes sense. Not saying it would be bad news but I think the albums done by the band since he left are arguably some of their best input (Free as a bird aside)

Rosie D View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2010 at 03:04
While I would love to see an actual Supertramp reunion, I have to say I would certainly prefer seeing a Roger Hodgson solo show over a RIck Davies solo show [posing as Supertramp] any day of the week.  My understanding is that Rick is the only member of the original ["golden years"]  band actually participating -- which will make it even more bogus when they perform Roger's material, in blatant disregard of their verbal agreement. 

Chris S., I think you may be one of maybe 3 people I've ever heard of [the other 2 being Rick & Sue Davies ;)] who prefer the post-Hodgson material.  Rick & Roger were perfect together, bouncing ideas off each other & spurring each other on -- yin & yang, maybe.  Rick's subsequent stuff just didn't cut it for me, personally.  Roger's solo stuff, on the other hand, was and is excellent for the most part [excepting Hai Hai, which isn't half bad either ;)].  His solo shows are superb. 

I totally agree with Strawberry Fields: Roger is well worth going out of your way for.  I wish I could go to Europe to see him!  Check out the website for info on his 2010 world tour:  www.rogerhodgson.com.

Chris S View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2010 at 05:40
Originally posted by Rosie D Rosie D wrote:

While I would love to see an actual Supertramp reunion, I have to say I would certainly prefer seeing a Roger Hodgson solo show over a RIck Davies solo show [posing as Supertramp] any day of the week.  My understanding is that Rick is the only member of the original ["golden years"]  band actually participating -- which will make it even more bogus when they perform Roger's material, in blatant disregard of their verbal agreement. 

Chris S., I think you may be one of maybe 3 people I've ever heard of [the other 2 being Rick & Sue Davies ;)] who prefer the post-Hodgson material.  Rick & Roger were perfect together, bouncing ideas off each other & spurring each other on -- yin & yang, maybe.  Rick's subsequent stuff just didn't cut it for me, personally.  Roger's solo stuff, on the other hand, was and is excellent for the most part [excepting Hai Hai, which isn't half bad either ;)].  His solo shows are superb. 

I totally agree with Strawberry Fields: Roger is well worth going out of your way for.  I wish I could go to Europe to see him!  Check out the website for info on his 2010 world tour:  www.rogerhodgson.com.

Comments respected and yes Hodgson/Davies were great for their earlier works. Personally I dislike most of Hodgson's solo work ( Open the Door aside) but I am sure he is great live. I was fortunate to see Something's never Change tour and Slow Motion tours in the UK and believe me Mark Hart was a more than able replacement. Supertramp evolved into a more jazz orientated band and with the exception of Doug Thompson, the Siebenberg prescence was still there ( Bob's son). Rick's music and the band's output really was refreshing. Heliiwell also in fine form still. I guess opinions vary just like I enjoyed say Collin's era Genesis just as much as the Gabriel era. I just think Rick Davies owned the  Supertamp sound format and continued with it
Brother Where You Bound 4/5
Free As a Bird 3/5
Some Things Never Change 4/5
Slow Motion  3.5/5

Notwithstanding that their most commercial era was with Hodgson in it but I would sacrifice that nowadays to see the jazz sound of latter day Supertramp. So I don;t think Rick & Sue Davies and me are the only three. Maybe run another pollSmile

nuskysa View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2010 at 09:35

Roger is one of the best artists in the world. For me, he's the soul & heart of Supertramp undoubtedly.Big smile

I'm going to make a trip to see him in Paris, and of  course, I will attend his shows in Spain too.

we are very fortunate to enjoy this fantastic artist
Roger Hodgson is one of the contemporary pop worlds great talents and gifted man, and it's well worth making the effort to see his show, pay homage and be thoroughly entertained by a quality individual

Clap
< ="-" ="text/; =utf-8">< name="ProgId" ="Word.">< name="Generator" ="Microsoft Word 12">< name="Originator" ="Microsoft Word 12">
Chris S View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2010 at 10:05
It's interesting this thread started with the Supertramp announcement and since then mostly ' newbies' plugging Roger Hodgson ( as in first forum posts)LOL

Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2010 at 12:15
Originally posted by Chris S Chris S wrote:

Originally posted by amac amac wrote:

Good news Wink The Real Heart and voice of the music of Supertramp was and always is.....Rick Davies

I totally agree with you Chris.  Davies was the heart and soul of that band. 

genbanks View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2010 at 15:53
Agree with Chris S. and others. The Hodgson Davies era was great. The Roger's songs were always more commercial, more pop songs. With the time, for me seems to be a bit boring (except Fool's overture and Child of Vision). By the other side, Rick's songs always shown some of the prog side of Supertramp (Rudy, Crime of the Century, Another man`s woman, Waiting so long, etc.). With the time I prefer the Rick's side of Supertramp. The last albums, without Roger Hodgson, are great (except Free as a bird, which even has a gret track like An awful thing to waste). The last, Slowmotion is fantastic for me.

I think that there are many people out there who things like us, that Rick Davies was always the soul of Supertramp.
wadester2006 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2010 at 16:42
I tend to agree with Chris S. for the most part. And yes, Chris, I am another newbie...though I've been trolling for years ;o)  ... So, I've seen Roger solo, in a wonderful small club environment here in Vancouver..and also seen Rick's Supertramp in the big arenas here on the 'STMC' and 'Slow Motion' tours... I must say, both were amazing experiences. But I agree with Chris, Rick pulled it off big time, and Mark Hart is an amazing singer and musician. Overall, the more real Supertramp experiences..were with Rick's Supertramp. Rogers shows were great but like Jon Andersons solo shows...it feels like there's something missing..as great and intimate as it is. Also, like Chris, think The Tramp albums without Roger are strong and underrated. Some Things Never Change...is classic..Slow Motion very good too. Love Rogers 'Eye of the STorm' Hai hai' too.  I just hope Rick is not totally by himself. Does anyone know who's in the band?  Any originals?  Bob? John? hello?  Even Mark Hart..as far as I know he has a new album and tour with Crowded House??
easydoesit View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2010 at 19:14

The sound of Supertramp without Roger Hodgson is absolutely incomplete.The audience will choose what they wants to see...an incomplete  and weak Supertramp or a full and amazing sound and voice of Roger...SleepyLOL

genesisfn View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2010 at 19:31
Supertramp will have a changed sound w / our Roger Hodgson
Artists have changed their lineups & have gone on
Yes, AC/DC, Genesis, Who. Marillion, Asia etc.......
It's about acceptance......."Fame is fleeting"
genesisfn View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2010 at 19:31
Originally posted by genesisfn genesisfn wrote:

Supertramp will have a changed sound w / out Roger Hodgson
Artists have changed their lineups & have gone on
Yes, AC/DC, Genesis, Who. Marillion, Asia etc.......
It's about acceptance......."Fame is fleeting"
genbanks View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2010 at 19:33
I think that is not a matter of what the audience choose. It's just a matter of musical direction. Supertramp was survive many years without Roger, and did many tours with decent audiences, maybe bigger than Roger's audiences. But the point is that the musical spirit of Supertramp, in my opinion, survives with the band albums and not with Roger`s albums. Don't mean that Roger's albums are bad albums, but they has not the Supertramp spirit.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>