Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThe priests abuse scandal...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 9>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2010 at 13:50
Originally posted by Garion81 Garion81 wrote:

The biggest problem with abuse is that for the most part is that is passed from generation to the next. Until we as a society decide enough is enough than this will continue. 

I don't think mankind will ever be free from abuse of any kind.
Chris S View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2010 at 14:11

wow...........................what a fine species we are. Let's all give ourselves a congratulatory pat on the backClap

This topic has virtually run it's course, may the guilty child molesters burn wherever for eternity. If you are a priest and you worry that you may be persecuted because facts show about 98% of those on trial are innocent, maybe find a new career. Same goes for teachers, parents. I know and hear that many church/denominations are concerned about their ' flocks' diminishing. I can see why. Shame on the Catholic Church and the Vatican, and shame on any other organisation or individual guilty of such atrocities.

Yahweh.........your time is nigh.
<font color=Brown>Music - The Sound Librarian

...As I venture through the slipstream, between the viaducts in your dreams...[/COLOR]
Henry Plainview View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2010 at 18:34

The biggest problem with abuse is that for the most part is that is passed from generation to the next. Until we as a society decide enough is enough than this will continue. 
And many child abusers were abused themselves. Should we start sterilizing the victims too?
if you own a sodastream i hate you
Garion81 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2010 at 19:05
^ I don't know that answer HP but you backed up my point. I have my own reasons to be concerned about the subject of child abuse and I try and be objective about what I say and feel. I really feel until we understand it better and how to treat it these people should be separated from the general population when possible.after their first offense It is either that or accept the fact that someones child maybe your own will fall victim to this and most likely to continue to spread it when they get older. I am unwilling to do that.

"What are you going to do when that damn thing rusts?"
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2010 at 19:13
your post Brian reminds me of a terrible period of my life... and what ended up wrecking what was left of my previous marriage.. which wasn't much I suppose

makes me wonder what happened to the 14 year old that sexually assaulted my 5 year old daughter....  his family picked up and moved west after the court date... I remember, though of course he couldn't be prosecuted... he was supposed to get 'treatment'

upstanding family... we knew them and had used them for daycare for years... the father was a county trooper...  great guy...

face it... there is no 'root' of evil...  it is simply a fact of life...
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Henry Plainview View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2010 at 21:20

^ I don't know that answer HP but you backed up my point. I have my own reasons to be concerned about the subject of child abuse and I try and be objective about what I say and feel. I really feel until we understand it better and how to treat it these people should be separated from the general population when possible.after their first offense It is either that or accept the fact that someones child maybe your own will fall victim to this and most likely to continue to spread it when they get older. I am unwilling to do that.

Fair enough, but you have to realize that if one instance of sexual abuse is life without parole, you're going to have some problems, besides the obvious one of ending somebody's life for a crime that didn't end anybody else's.

Edited by Henry Plainview - April 05 2010 at 17:49
if you own a sodastream i hate you
Garion81 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2010 at 21:52
^ True but they just ruined them psychologically and possibly sexually  for the rest of their lives.  It isn't like stealing something that can be replaced. I never said life without parole I said separate possibly hospitals but not in mainstream society.   We have to keep from hiding from it and keeping it secret. this is a world wide disease.  

Just for the record I have one daughter raped by another teenager, another possibly molested or raped after being drugged (she doesn't remember what happened but tested positive for the date rape drug)  and now a niece raped and murdered.  I think I have had enough of giving these people another chance. I think they are predators and have little good in them and if my girls still break down and cry and have their confidence stripped form them I am not going to shed one thought that this guy is separated form society for the rest of his life.   Still I would let them live just not near me anymore.  But yet many of you would say these are isolated cases. Ivan is right they need to have evidence and go through due process but I live in the reality that none of these guys who harmed my family will ever be found and they are free to continue their lives like nothing happened.  Possibly to continue to molest and rape and kill.  Maybe your family member is next. 
So what am I just going to sit here and accept it?  Is this okay for you? 

And as for your signature quote College BB at Michigan was ruined becasue of the Fab 5 and the coach there.  Not all college BB is the same.  Well maybe wherever John Callipari coaches. Wink

Edited by Garion81 - April 04 2010 at 21:57

"What are you going to do when that damn thing rusts?"
jampa17 View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2010 at 10:35
Originally posted by Vibrationbaby Vibrationbaby wrote:

Can't believe nobody has been offended yet on this one. ne thing that I would like to know. Why is it always little boys. If itwere some dirty whore then I could deal with it a bit easier. Was it Jimmy Swaggart that got caught with a dirty whore about 20 years ago? Then he started to make $$$$$. I think these Catholocs like scandals just so they can say "we still have faith".

I'm not sure if you're sarcastic or what, but I have to tell you, as a Catholic active member of an active community I can tell you that WE DON'T LIKE SCANDALS. Everyone that I have talk about it are really mad at it, but we don't miss the point that some things are not true or at least are manipulated by the media... so, first of all, we can't judge if we are sinners just like anyone else... and if there's a real "proof" of this current topic, I could be the first in asking a death penalty to the priests, but at the end... what do you know for true? are you sure the Pope is involved? I don't buy it, really, there are too many interests in atacking the Church and I think is not a secret to anyone... but well... Catholics don't like scandals... period... Angry 
Change the program inside... Stay in silence is a crime.
seventhsojourn View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2010 at 10:39

Can't believe nobody has been offended yet on this one. ne thing that I would like to know. Why is it always little boys. If itwere some dirty whore then I could deal with it a bit easier. Was it Jimmy Swaggart that got caught with a dirty whore about 20 years ago? Then he started to make $$$$$. I think these Catholocs like scandals just so they can say "we still have faith".

Which Catholics... the priests or the ordinary people? It's not the fault of the faithful if some priests are hypocrites. The faithful try to do as the priests say, not as they do.  
Atkingani View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2010 at 10:40
I think that it's better to post here after refreshing ideas inside your heads, gentlemen - this way the present thread will survive IMO.

Thanks!

Guigo

~~~~~~
jampa17 View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2010 at 10:45
Originally posted by seventhsojourn seventhsojourn wrote:

Which Catholics... the priests or the ordinary people? It's not the fault of the faithful if some priests are hypocrites. The faithful try to do as the priests say, not as they do.  

Agreed... it's in the Bible, words of Jesus: "Do what they say but don't imitate their actions..." precisely refering to those hypocrites priests of the Temple... I think Rob can give us the accurate quote of that part and it makes a lot of sense...
seventhsojourn View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2010 at 10:48
Originally posted by Atkingani Atkingani wrote:

I think that it's better to post here after refreshing ideas inside your heads, gentlemen - this way the present thread will survive IMO.

Thanks!

Why plural?
Vibrationbaby View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2010 at 11:33
I think I struck a nerve. I was just kidding. Sorry.
Easy Money View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2010 at 13:44
A post has been hidden and it's repetition, probably some more need to be hid, but I need to go to work.
Please people, there is absolutely nothing funny about any of this, treat this topic with extreme respect or it will be closed.
jampa17 View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2010 at 13:49
Originally posted by Easy Money Easy Money wrote:

A post has been hidden and it's repetition, probably some more need to be hid, but I need to go to work.
Please people, there is absolutely nothing funny about any of this, treat this topic with extreme respect or it will be closed.

Oh... I can edit my post so it will not need to be taken away... that should be Ok?
Vibrationbaby View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2010 at 09:19
There are offensive things everywhere you look in life. I just brush these things off and say to myself, " The planet has gone wacky." I just saw a rather offensive letter to the editor in the Montréal Gazette this morning ( I found it rather amusing myself ) . We also have a weekly rag called the Montréal Mirror that is crammed with offensive material that is available for free on street corners, libraries, coffee shops, everywhere.

It's more than obvious that this thread has run it's course and the head of the Catholic Church has a bit more on his plate than more that a few twisted clergymen. So, I'll just take a box seat for the duration.
npjnpj View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2010 at 06:56
I'm pessimistic about the whole business.

We live in a society that does its best to protect criminals in the name of justice and ignore the victims, so why should the church be any different?

The church is just doing what it and any large corporation or even states have always done: It sits still until the whole thing goes away on its own. It always does.

Edited by npjnpj - April 08 2010 at 07:00
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2010 at 07:37
Originally posted by npjnpj npjnpj wrote:

I'm pessimistic about the whole business.

We live in a society that does its best to protect criminals in the name of justice and ignore the victims, so why should the church be any different?

The church is just doing what it and any large corporation or even states have always done: It sits still until the whole thing goes away on its own. It always does.

Although I don't necessarily disagree with you here, you might want to lend a little substance to such a sweeping statement methinks...erm, care to cite some examples that illustrate your point ?
npjnpj View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2010 at 08:25
How about the banks after last year? Promises of changes and rigid controls were made and has anyhing changed?

How about we're actually all supposed to be dying of BSE by now?

How about a multitude of political plans as a result of similar scandals in the past and in the present concerning child care,  education, healthcare, infrastructure, jobs, tax laws, crime prevention etc.?

I've got more, but whatever they are, it all goes away given time and the new scandal that replaces the old one completely. I often wonder what's up with peoples' memories.
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2010 at 09:49
Originally posted by npjnpj npjnpj wrote:

How about the banks after last year? Promises of changes and rigid controls were made and has anyhing changed?

How about we're actually all supposed to be dying of BSE by now?

How about a multitude of political plans as a result of similar scandals in the past and in the present concerning child care,  education, healthcare, infrastructure, jobs, tax laws, crime prevention etc.?

I've got more, but whatever they are, it all goes away given time and the new scandal that replaces the old one completely. I often wonder what's up with peoples' memories.

Although I can't comment on new or altered legislation being lobbied for re controls on the finance sector, the remainder all strike me as requiring investment i.e. our money and sadly, as you point out, the loudest righteousness is soon muzzled with the threat of an tax invoice to foot the bill. (Voters are like Scotsmen: Love Beer - Hate buying it Wink)

Yesterday's scandal is today's litter and people's memories are about as short as their tempers.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 9>