Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedCoheed and Cambria 'YotBR'

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Coheed and Cambria 'YotBR'
    Posted: April 08 2010 at 07:30
The new album 'Year of the Black Rainbow' is available for streaming from the bands' myspace page from today. I have had one listen through, gonna go back for more before i make an opinion. Just wondering what others are thinking of it so far?
'when was the last time you had a girlfriend?'
'I dont look at it as when, I look at it as who...and why' - David Brent
TheLastBaron View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2010 at 19:32
I'm not 100% sure how i feel yet, listened to it a few times through over the last couple days and each time i hear something I didn't notice before. It seems to have less solos, yet some interesting riffs, so far its just alright, better than second stage but not better than any of the others, i also feel a huge lack of bass this time around, which i always get a little upset when any band down plays the bass.
" Men are not prisoners of fate, but prisoners of their own minds." - FDR
AtomicCrimsonRush View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2010 at 09:26
i am disappointed with Coheed and cambria - cannot class them as prog at all

flame away I have heard enough of this band
bsms810 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2010 at 09:09
Well my verdict is similar to yours LastBaron. For me it is good, but not great. The production lets it down sometimes and often sounds muddy with little bass. The album is definately a grower but i doubt itl reach the quality of in keeping secrets of good apollo in my opinion.
'when was the last time you had a girlfriend?'
'I dont look at it as when, I look at it as who...and why' - David Brent
SilverEclipse View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2010 at 20:47

This is not REALLY a progressive rock album. 

This is a rock album with elements of prog; there's still the concept, it has a prog "vibe" to it, and they do show off their chops a little bit.  All the songs are very straightforward, listenable, and very centered around a big chorus that is extremely catchy.  I'd go as far to say that this is one of the catchiest albums I've ever listened to, and that includes the entire Beatles and Queen catalogs. 

If listened to as a good (hell, maybe great) rock album, it's enjoyable stuff.  If you're looking for prog/truly progressive music... eh, I'd have to say look elsewhere.  I'm a big Coheed fan and I like it, but the first three albums are where you want to go if you want to see Coheed do great progressive music.  To be fair the catchy stuff has always been part of their shtick, but it played second fiddle to the great epics that the previous albums were built around, and the formula was fantastic.  On this one, the catchy stuff is FRONT AND CENTER, and the one "epic" is probably their worst progressive composition. 

I'm actually interested in how other prog rock fans feel about this one.  A lot of publications have been hailing this band as the torch-bearer of "new prog". 
"and if the band your in starts playing different tunes, I'll see you on the dark side of the moon"
TheClosing View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2010 at 21:46
Originally posted by AtomicCrimsonRush AtomicCrimsonRush wrote:

i am disappointed with Coheed and cambria - cannot class them as prog at all

flame away I have heard enough of this band

They have a good balance of prog and pop. Good Apollo 1 was their most progressive release so far. Both times I've seen them live they ended with The Final Cut with extended 15 minute solo which included Claudio playing theremin. It was rather incredible. 

I wasn't too impressed with this release however. Not because the lack of "prog" songs, but because it's not a step forward for the band. Actually my favorite song off the record is "Far", which is the poppiest song on the album. 

Edited by TheClosing - September 16 2010 at 21:29
Lozlan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2010 at 15:50
Eh.......I'm a tremendous fan of Coheed, but this album has left me a little cold.  I completely concur with the 'grower' status...certain songs that completely disinterested me at first listen (and even at fifth listen) are finally starting to take their place in my mental catalogue of the band's material...Guns of Summer is amazing, and few things in their extensive discography can match Pearl of the Stars for sheer loveliness.  However...the title track is just a big bundle of nothing.  Seven-odd minutes of uninspired cacophony.  Also, The Broken and Skeletons Live leave me shrugging.  I do hope they tone down some of the overt industrial touches on future records...in all, probably my second-favorite release (not a tremendous fan of Turbine Blade).  Could possibly raise in my estimation if certain songs grow on me, but that pesky title track just drags the entire affair down to a C average.
Certified Obscure Prog Fart.

The Loose Palace of Exile - My first novel, The Mask of Tamrel, now available on Amazon and Kindle
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2010 at 15:58
I like C&C also.....Agree with the thoughts here on the new album.....I have probably listened to it maybe 3 times since release, its not doing it for me.
I may be picking here on this one...On this album I can't get passed Claudio's singing...to me its getting worse, I can't understand a lot of what he is saying. 
To me one of the great things about prog bands is that you CAN understand the singing and a lot of times don't need lyric pages to follow along.
But with telling a story such as the Amory Wars, I'd like to understand whats happening.
I concur with a C grade.

Textbook View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2010 at 04:39
I too was a massive fan of C&C 2003-2007 but yeah, this album sees to have been a bit of a fanbase demolisher. It's just loud and unemotional and eschews the prog elements that made them interesting. And this despite their new drummer being much much better.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2010 at 05:43
Chris can play circles around Josh, but that doesn't make him better per say. Josh's beats were catchy as hell, and he was the perfect fit for the band it seems. 
Textbook View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2010 at 05:49
C&C fans may wish to check out the reason Josh left C&C, his hip-hop career under the name Weerd Science. Shockingly good.
The Monodrone View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2010 at 13:52
Josh Eppard is much better for Coheed, IMO.

Regarding the album: Very good in my opinion...lots of hooks, proggy moments, and it beats the hell out of the sh*t on Good Apollo... Volume II: No World for Tomorrow.  The lyrics are pretty good on YoBR as well. My only problem is that too many songs have that strange industrial/metallic feeling to them. I also miss the quirkiness of Coheed, which they left behind after Good Apollo 1. Overall, I really enjoy this album. B+ for me.

My favorite Coheed albums: Second Stage, In Keeping Secrets, Good Apollo 1, YoBR, NWfT (< which is no where near as good as their other albums).

Lozlan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2010 at 17:02
Really?  No love for No World?  Man, I still have that album on fairly heavy rotation.  It helps that I unconsciously decided that every song on it was about Fullmetal Alchemist, and cut vids to it in my head.  But seriously, a great album with great (albeit slightly more song-oriented) music.  I think Radio Bye-Bye still takes the crown as my overall favorite Coheed track, alongside Once Upon Your Dead Body and The Velourium Camper set.
Certified Obscure Prog Fart.

The Loose Palace of Exile - My first novel, The Mask of Tamrel, now available on Amazon and Kindle
SilverEclipse View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2010 at 16:58
Originally posted by ptkc123 ptkc123 wrote:

Josh Eppard is much better for Coheed, IMO.

Regarding the album: Very good in my opinion...lots of hooks, proggy moments, and it beats the hell out of the sh*t on Good Apollo... Volume II: No World for Tomorrow.  The lyrics are pretty good on YoBR as well. My only problem is that too many songs have that strange industrial/metallic feeling to them. I also miss the quirkiness of Coheed, which they left behind after Good Apollo 1. Overall, I really enjoy this album. B+ for me.

My favorite Coheed albums: Second Stage, In Keeping Secrets, Good Apollo 1, YoBR, NWfT (< which is no where near as good as their other albums).

I don't get the negative vibes people get from the industrial elements.  It's not like they overtake the music or anything, and honestly they fit in the with the bands' sound pretty well. 

I'm surprised that I'm the only person that mentioned that the album is very song-oriented rather than seeming like a whole piece like the first three albums. 

Who knows, this side of the concept is over and Claudio Sanchez has stated he doesn't really know where the music is going to go next.  Maybe he just needs a little more creative freedom.  If you ask me, I think the guy was pretty much done with the concept after the 3rd album (as in, took it as far as it could go, Good Apollo I has a a VERY convoluted story) and he would probably like to be able to just write music without having to worry if it fits in with the overall story. 
"and if the band your in starts playing different tunes, I'll see you on the dark side of the moon"
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2010 at 19:03
The only track with some industrial influence is the last track. People started making the industrial connection based solely on the fact that Atticus Ross (who's awesome btw) co-produced it. I was expecting more of a throwback to Second Stage era since YotBR is chronologically the beginning of the story, but instead it's a logical step from the last record. I think for the next record a real progression in sound needs to take place and I also hope this is the end of Claudio's insistence on a concept record. The book/comics come off as something a child would write after watching Star Wars for the first time. Claudio should really focus on his talents which is composing music. 
CloseToTheMoon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2010 at 19:12
I can't get into it. Keeping Secrets and Good Apollo Volume 1 are the best they have ever been. Second Stage has some moments but the production is terrible. They have been such a let down for me.
 Post Reply Post Reply