Poll Question: Jordan Rudess or Kevin Moore
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
39 [44.83%]
48 [55.17%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nilsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Jordan Rudess or Kevin Moore
    Posted: April 09 2010 at 15:06
Just a interesting thought..

After what I've heard, I guess most of you will answer Kevin Moore.

I will choose JR, because of fantastic out-of-the-box creativity, feeling and crazy technicality. 

Kevin still put down some fantastic melodies too, but I like Jordan's style more.
The Quiet One View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Quiet One Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2010 at 15:13

I'll vote for the same I've voted in the previous same polls:

Kevin Moore

Definitely a more creative player in my opinion: he can build-up fantastic atmospheres, he has feel and he defintlely plays some fine piano and synths.

It's like if Kevin Moore was the Rick Wright of Dream Theater. Yeah I know, very different bands, but I think the "role" of these keyboardists were pretty the same and they were done perfectly, neither needed an extremely talented keyboard player in the sense of playing.

Edited by The Quiet One - April 09 2010 at 15:20
jampa17 View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jampa17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2010 at 15:14

Kevin Moore... just listen to Only A Matter of Time... Rudess can't match with that... he is better in skill and technique, but he is not creative... he just uses weird noises and fast soloing... but, his solo work is very interesting...

Glad to have you here Nilsen...
Change the program inside... Stay in silence is a crime.
Anguiad View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anguiad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2010 at 15:16
Rudess indeed has more technical ability and can be capable of creating fantastic melodies that really suit DT's style. His contribution to Metroplis part II is undeniable, and I can' t think of a better keyboardist that can outdo him.

Moore is a master of sound and atmosphere. His short-lived presence at DT was outstanding, being the most important member for the soul in the group. They were never the same after him. And even now, he continues to please my ears with the OSI project and his solo works. He is THE man.

Approve
"Tis your birth and faith that wrong you...not I."
Epignosis View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Epignosis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2010 at 15:29
I much, much, much prefer Rudess, despite not liking his particular style at times.
Nilsen View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nilsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2010 at 15:35
This was just as I expected ^^

I preferred Kevin for not a long time ago as well (can't blame him, he did put down the melodies to learning to live wich is one of my favourite "keyboard songs")

But lately I've watched JR's solo work, and his piano diary improvisations on youtube, and he just blew me away with perfect musical melodies that I haven't seen anyone that even come close to..

Edited by Nilsen - April 09 2010 at 15:35
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2010 at 15:59
I much prefer Jordan over Kevin. I actually think if DT goes back to their early playing style incorporating more jazzy influences, melodic sense that Jordan is the better fit still. As well as being the best fit for the current metal flavor....
jampa17 View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jampa17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2010 at 16:14
Originally posted by Epignosis Epignosis wrote:

I much, much, much prefer Rudess, despite not liking his particular style at times.

This really surprise me... I didn't knew that Rob... I thought you liked more the old school DT... and for Nielse, I thought you refer to their aport to DT, because in their solo work, Rudess really shines... now, I won't pick up him either as O.S.I. and Chroma Key are two of my favorites projects of all time...
Change the program inside... Stay in silence is a crime.
Epignosis View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Epignosis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2010 at 16:27
Originally posted by jampa17 jampa17 wrote:

Originally posted by Epignosis Epignosis wrote:

This really surprise me... I didn't knew that Rob... I thought you liked more the old school DT... and for Nielse, I thought you refer to their aport to DT, because in their solo work, Rudess really shines... now, I won't pick up him either as O.S.I. and Chroma Key are two of my favorites projects of all time...

Really?  Confused  LOL

I rated Images & Words a two, while Metropolis Part 2: Scenes from a Memory and Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence are my five star Dream Theater albums.
Rune2000 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rune2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2010 at 17:48
I base my vote solely on the excellent work he did on AwakeThumbs Up
progkidjoel View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progkidjoel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2010 at 17:52
KM is way more enjoyable for me, the only two DT albums which I really love (I&W and Awake) and his albums as Chroma Key are all top notch prog, great stuff. Lovely player
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2010 at 22:58
This poll has already been done, and I don't remember what I voted for, nor do I know whom to vote for now. They both have their stron points and not so strong ones. However, I do feel, Rudess fits the band better, he's got a more similar way of playing to the other band members than Moore did. Still, that's at the same time the strong point for Rudess as it is for Moore, because on the other hand, the later complemented the sound of Dream Theater better, he kind of slowed the pace where the rest just wanted to go faster, and gave some really beautiful melodies and soundscapes. So, I guess the best thing to do is to enjoy whatever they both have to offer to the band.
stewe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stewe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2010 at 08:02
My opinion or feeling is that Rudess's work on Scenes from a Memory is rather annyoying while on Six Degrees is great... actually only album with DT where he really impresses me. I prefer Kevin Moore in general. 

<a href="http://steveer.ic.cz" rel="nofollow"
Mellotron Storm View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mellotron Storm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2010 at 09:22
Originally posted by The Quiet One The Quiet One wrote:

I'll vote for the same I've voted in the previous same polls:

Kevin Moore

Definitely a more creative player in my opinion: he can build-up fantastic atmospheres, he has feel and he defintlely plays some fine piano and synths.

It's like if Kevin Moore was the Rick Wright of Dream Theater. Yeah I know, very different bands, but I think the "role" of these keyboardists were pretty the same and they were done perfectly, neither needed an extremely talented keyboard player in the sense of playing.

I could not have said it better. Not much of a fan of Rudess but Moore is one of my all time favourites.
I like the Rick Wright comparisons too,it's all about atmosphere.
"The wind is slowly tearing her apart"

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN
MysticDreams2331 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MysticDreams2331 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2010 at 11:39
I think that it depends on what you are aiming at with this poll. I think Jordan Rudess is a much better player and musician and I couldn't imagine not having some of the parts he has added to DT songs. However, I think Kevin Moore was much more of an appropriate player for the band as I feel they are a very guitar drum bass driven band, and the keyboards were mostly needed to bring atmosphere, establish a center to some of the abstract parts of songs, and for the occasional added harmonies for Petrucci's leads. Rudess is a very in your face player, and why not when your that good LOL 
anfega View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anfega Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2010 at 19:45
jordan is a best keyboard player!!! and kevin was very important in the DT creative equation in thi first years of the band 
EliasMisael View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EliasMisael Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2010 at 22:09
Kevin Moore maybe is not as bombastic as Jordan Rudess. But he was the soul of DT.

Period.
"...Basic temperamental filters on our eyes
Alter our perceptions
Lenses polarize..."

paganinio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paganinio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2010 at 00:30
as the biggest Dream Theater fan in my continent, I must vote for Jordan Rudess. I wonder who Kevin Moore is.
Xanatos View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Banned

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xanatos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2010 at 16:33
Originally posted by EliasMisael EliasMisael wrote:

Kevin Moore maybe is not as bombastic as Jordan Rudess. But he was the soul of DT.

Period.
SRSLY this
DisgruntledPorcupine View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DisgruntledPorcupine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2010 at 20:44
I had Kevin Moore for dinner.

Anyways, Rudess.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>