Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedTalitha Qumi - Eclectic prog???

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Talitha Qumi - Eclectic prog???
    Posted: April 10 2010 at 09:16
I would like to suggest Talitha Qumi be added to the site.  A couple of years ago another member on PA told me about this band Wink and at the time I seached for a copy of the album but was unable to find one... until now! 
Talitha Qumi is from Cluj, Romania.  Sadly they are no longer active and have only ever produced one album, Despre Cuvinte.  The album was released by Soft Records in 1995.  It's very difficult to categorize as it is rather experimental and eclectic in it's approach: there are various elements of folk, symphonic, and even psychedellic...  perhaps other members could have a listen and offer some feedback.  Unfortunately I can't seem to find that much info about the band - again, if anyone could provide me with more info, I would be grateful.
The entire album can be streamed from the band's MySpace page

Talitha Qumi on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Videos

and can be ordered directly from Soft Records, though unfortunately they don't export - a kind friend in Romania bought and sent my my copy!

Soft Records

This album is definitely worth a listen, and is a significant contribution to the Romanian Progressive Rock scene.
http://www.last.fm/group/Progressive+Folk
harmonium.ro View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2010 at 14:06
GREAT find!

It's been a long time since I first wanted to suggest this band, but as their is no way to listen to their album on the internet or to buy it from an international distributor, I had to wait. Actually, the band had it's own website with a long biography written by the drummer and the whole album shared on streaming, but since 2006 (if I'm not wrong) nobody has cared about that site and its hosting has expired, therefore it can't be accessed any more. I thank the person who created the MySpace page and uploaded the whole album on it. I also wanted to do that and I emailed the drummer to ask for the biography and for the permission last year, but he never replied.

I think the music is 100% prog-folk with a massive influence from Phoenix (Cantafabule-era) but also other influences like acid-folk, Gryphon and more classical influenced prog. This is why I'll recommend the band to the Prog-Folk team. Thanks! Thumbs Up

When accepted, I can write the bio and add the album.
cacha71 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2010 at 05:20
Harmonium.ro, thanks for your input.  I had been wondering for a while why this band had never been suggested for inclusion in the site, and had assumed that it was due to the lack of availability, then I discovered that it could be ordered direct from Soft Records, and streamed on MySpace.
I also tried to access the band's own website and got a message saying that I needed a special invitation.  This is a shame, and it would be good for the band to know that there are some people out there who appreciate their work.  Big smile
I agree with it's classification as Prog Folk. (this was first in my list of influences)  After WyrDGeneS I'm rather hesitant about labelling things as being one thing or another, in this case I wanted suggestions from other members.  there is no doubt that Phoenix has been a major influence, and the lyrics and incantations are also rooted in folklore.
Thanks for your offer to write the bio and add the band Big smile  It would be difficult for me to do it given the lack of information.
btw, you probably already know this, but Kogaion (full album) has now been made available for streaming on Last.fm as well as MySpace, and Marius Baras has announced his attention to make the album available commercially, though I'm not sure whether this will be in the form of a re-release or a download.
Fingers crossed!  Big smile
clarke2001 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2010 at 06:41
I agree with Harmonium - this is Prog Folk. Great music!!!! It's always pleasure to explore Romanian Prog Rock... This one is clearly influenced by older Romanian gems (yet highly original)..oh, do I hear some Progresiv TM too?Cool

Atkingani View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2010 at 11:05
I thought that Talitha Qumi were already added here... a good case indeed. Let's see how it evolves.
Guigo

~~~~~~
ClemofNazareth View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog Folk Researcher

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2010 at 12:35

Two out of three members of the Prog Folk team have approved including Talitha Qumi.  We'll wait a day or so to get a response from our third member, but I would say they're a shoo-in at this point.

I'm going to add them to our backlog list this evening.  If someone wants to draft a bio that will speed things up; otherwise it may be a week or so before one of us gets around to them.

"Peace is the only battle worth waging."

Albert Camus
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2010 at 12:56
That's great. I'll start writing the bio, then. Thumbs Up
cacha71 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2010 at 15:26
This is great news - thank you for your support and rapid response! Big smile
Spitf1r3 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2010 at 06:31
Excelent discovery!

Edited by Spitf1r3 - April 12 2010 at 06:31
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2010 at 06:37
Originally posted by cacha71 cacha71 wrote:

I also tried to access the band's own website and got a message saying that I needed a special invitation.  This is a shame, and it would be good for the band to know that there are some people out there who appreciate their work.  Big smile

What website is that? I'd like to check it out.

Originally posted by cacha71 cacha71 wrote:

btw, you probably already know this, but Kogaion (full album) has now been made available for streaming on Last.fm as well as MySpace, and Marius Baras has announced his attention to make the album available commercially, though I'm not sure whether this will be in the form of a re-release or a download.
Fingers crossed!  Big   smile

Just saw a few days ago on a Romanian forum that Marius Baras is putting up all his music on Last.Fm, and indeed the whole of Kogaion is there. There's nothing stopping us now to add them. Clap
cacha71 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2010 at 08:56
The website for which a special invitation is needed is www.talithaqumi.com.  It is given on the back of the CD.
I was delighted when I saw Kogaion on Last.fm.  I have it from Marius himself that he intends to make Kogaion available - he sent me a shout on Last.fm.  Lets hope he does so soon, so that Kogaion can be added too.  It definitely deserves a place here!  Btw, on which Romanian site did you see this?  Any site with info on Romanian prog is of interest to me.  Smile
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2010 at 09:19
That's interesting indeed, that website is specified on the back of the CD but I can't remember anything about it from the time I bought the album. Most likely the site was never available so I instantly forgot about it.

The forum I was mentioning is the Audiophiles' forum, here: http://forum.audiofil.ro/index.php
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2010 at 10:34
The original TQ website I found in 2006, with the full album on streaming and the extended biography written by the drummer, was this: http://home.chello.no/~digiart/talithaqumi/TQ/MAIN/main.html

Later I googled the band members by name and I found this website of the drummer: http://dragosandriana.my-place.us/ He's now a graphic designer and the website is dedicated to his graphic work. I wrote to the e-mail he has there but he doesn't seem to use it any more.

Now that I've googled his name again, it seems like I found his Facebook profile. Keep your fingers crossed! Big smile
cacha71 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2010 at 13:35
Thanks for the link to the Romanian music site, I'll have a look a bit later.  It's good that you found a way to contact the drummer.  If you found him on Facebook, it should be fairly easy to get in touch, and then perhaps he can provide a photo and biographical details.  I'm sure that he'll be pleased that there are people out there taking an interest in the music. Smile
cacha71 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2010 at 11:01
Any news yet? Smile
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2010 at 14:35
The band was cleared by the PF Team and all that's left is for me to write the bio. It'll be on very soon, I've been busy moving from one town to another these days, but I'm now at the end of the process. Thumbs Up
cacha71 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2010 at 09:37
That's great news, thanks!  Look forward to seeing it on here, and I wish you all the best with your move!  Big smile
b_olariu View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2010 at 11:25
Talitha Qumi isn't in PA yet????, I thought they were aprove already weeks ago.
cacha71 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2010 at 06:27
Originally posted by harmonium.ro harmonium.ro wrote:

That's great. I'll start writing the bio, then. Thumbs Up

What happened to this, has it been approved?  Did you manage to find the time to write the bio?  If you don't have time, I could write it, though it won't be in much detail.  I REALLY want this album to be included on the site...  please!!!  Smile
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2010 at 06:34
Yes - it's been approved and it only needed me to finish moving to our new home. Well, that's now finished. If I don't get this bio done by the end of this week, release hell on my a**!  Evil Smile
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>