Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWhen were you infected by Prog?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1415161718 25>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2011 at 17:32
In 1970 I asked for Santa for a Jethro Tull , King Crimson, and Yes album.  I was 9 years old.  At the time I thought it was all Rock and Roll.  By X-mas 71' I had added Pink Floyd and ELP to my wish list.  I still have my Octopus Gentle Giant album from 72'.   By 74' I foolishly started buying mainly 8-tracks.    I stayed true to Yes all the way through the desolate 80's, while turning by back on Genesis.   I used to shock 80's Genesis  fans/ friends by playing The Music Box.  

I got lucky in the early 90's after hearing a great compilation album called Psychelic Psauna which introduced me to Porcupine Tree from the get go.   For me the prog drought of the 80's was winding down.  I didn't realize how little I knew about prog till I found Prog Archives years ago.  Through the years many of the kind people on this site have turned me on to new music with their astute articulate reviews.  It was 73 all over again, when I was a kid in an Ear Candy music store.  Except in 73' the ear candy was on the Radio. 
Norm Cash View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2011 at 02:19
Sounds like you're exactly the same age as me, but fortunate enough to get a 5-6 year jump on the Prog ladder!

The "prog drought" 80's is so true. I catalog my albums on the "Rate Your Music" website (I've been lucky enough to accumulate over 3000 over the years). When I look at my ownership stats by decade, the 1970s comes in at 22.6%, 1990s at 23.7%, and 2000-on at 38%. The 1980's? Only 12.1%

A barren time indeed, although not totally bereft of life! (Moving Pictures-Rush, Eye In The Sky-Alan Parsons, Metal Fatigue-Allan Holdsworth......errrr.......wait....is that it?........wow.)

"We did it....you and me! Put him right under the table!"
zoviet View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2011 at 04:37
1997 - bought Tortoise's Millions Now Living Will Never Die and it was a gateway into all things Krautrock, prog, systems music, world music etc.

2005 - bought Supersilent's 7 dvd and the second round of prog madness began

thank you Tortoise and Supersilent!!!
jacob s cracker View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2011 at 15:40

A1971 or thereabouts, our ailing English teacher (Mr Chalk would you believe!) tired of trying to drum literature into us invited us to bring in records instead. My next-desk neighnour brought in Stackridge's eponymous first LP. Not exactly classic prog-fodder I know but he played the 12 minute Slark which is defiitely prog - swords and sorcery lyrics, flutes, violins - the lot!

I was already into music in general snd it was a great time - acts like Jethro Tull, Deep Purple, Sabbath etc were quite mainsteam and in the singles charts, but this opened up a whole new vista of music that you didn't hear on the radio.

I never looked back
I wasn't there when I did it
DocurRhodes View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2011 at 13:42
One day I bought 5 albums ( at my local Scaggs store ) that were outside my then comfort zone ( Animals, Yardbirds, Beatles, Stones & Hendrix ) Deep Purple "In Rock", King Crimson "In The Court of The Crimson King", Jethro Tull "Benefit", Yes "Fragile" and the Genesis album with "Watchers of The Sky". I was hooked! While I know Deep Purple is not defined as Prog-Rock a good deal of their material is NOT Heavy Metal ( which I also love ). Each of these bands have become part of my music life...not a day goes by that is without some of their songs. Many have made the stage during sets I played with several bands. At one time I could boast that I owned every album released by Jethro Tull, Deep Purple, King Crimson, Gentle Giant, Kansas, Yes, Traffic, and Emerson, Lake & Palmer on the date they were released. And while I'm not hounding the local stores ( or down-loading ) the newest records, the love affair with this music lives on! The past two years I attended the High Voltage Festivals and had a blast introducing my Jamaican girlfriend and my 8 year old Rap loving son to Prog-Rock. From those first few notes of Genesis that day forty years ago to that IM I had with Ian Anderson last week I have lived my life with the rich soaring sounds and great musicianship of these artists.
hughmilitee View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2011 at 03:38
hi . new to the forum, thought i would start here .. my folks are heavy prog fans, to this day my mom and dad wax philosophical on all things prog .. so i come by it honestly.  my real first date with prog was when my dad gave me "in the court of the crimson king" and "godbluff" for my 5th birthday in '76 .. two of his favorites at the time ...

additionally, my mom bought me a bass the next year because i would mimic Chris Squire's bass riffs (Close to the Edge, Fragile ... ) because i loved the sound so much.. a few years later i had the opportunity to thank him personally for getting me into playing bass .. it was an epic moment in my life..

Edited by hughmilitee - November 01 2011 at 03:58
MattGuitat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 03 2011 at 21:22
Rush was my favorite band, but I was mostly still into metal. Then, I heard roundabout and I haven't looked back since.
Turillazzo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2011 at 09:40
My parents only listened to classical music, so they couldn't give me any help in discovering rock music. But when I was around 7-8 my mother bought "1" by The Beatles. We always listened to it when travelling. The next step was Modena City Ramblers (an Italian folk-rock band) "Viva La Vida, Muera la Muerte". This was awesome indeed.

Then, when my sister was 13, she had a punk classmate. He introduced her to punk and hard rock music, so I got a chance to get into AC/DC and Guns N' Roses.
With the help of the Internet, I discovered more and more rock bands. One day I listened to "Another Brick in the Wall Pt. II" by Pink Floyd and I thought "Hey this is quite good". Another day I decided to listen something else by Pink Floyd; i knew that they did some very long songs, but this really didn't scare me. So I put on my iPod what seemed to be the best: "Shine on you crazy diamond" (the Echoes version, that is only parts I-VII).
That night i decided I could just spend a bit less time reading and giving an half-hour to that song. It completely striked me. I listened it many and many times in the following days and I understood what they mean by "get into something". The song slowly grew over me. When I thought I knew it well enough, I started listening to a lot of Floyd. I got into 6-7 albums, and I discovered that stuff like "The Wall" (that was my favourite album at that time) was not Psychedelic; it was a different genre called prog rock. So I listened to some classics: "In the Court of the Crimson King", "Fragile", "Selling England By the Pound"... after knowing Floyd, Yes, Genesis, Crimson, Banco del Mutuo Soccorso and Area quite well, i discovered this website. It changed my life.
firstlensman View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2011 at 15:54
When I was 9 I heard Bitches Brew by Miles Davis, In The Court Of The Crimson King by King Crimson, and Hot Rats by Frank Zappa... Then it all exploded in 1970!!!
First Lensman
"Forever caught in desert lands, one has to learn to disbelieve the sea"
Hober Mallow View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2011 at 17:54
I can't remember when the zombie bit me.
“When Fortuna spins you downward, go out to a movie and get more out of life.” John Kennedy Toole
Canterzeuhl View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2011 at 04:37
I don't like the notion of being 'Infected' by Prog.

It suggests I could be cured and I'd rather not be.

I love this virus/disease/bacterial growth.
Cylli Kat View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2011 at 17:26
It seems to me that I have always had an affinity for music; I recall being three years old, and there were all these days when I would march around the room and pretend to be a trumpet player while listening to Herb Alpert. (The irony is that the first instrument I took up was trumpet)...

But, I think that the Prog  "infection" began for me in 1969 with a little known song called "In the Court of the Crimson King", by this obscure and forgotten band called (oddly enough) King Crimson.  Wink

It appears to me that the "disease" remained dormant until 1972 when a song called "Roundabout" happened, and then the floodgates just entirely burst forth...
After that; I was ENTHRALLED by just about anything Prog.

And so it remains to this day...

I love so very many forms of music, but I have almost always considered myself first and foremost a "Progressive" Guitarist". (This was before we had umtpy-nine g'jillion sub-genres).
And while I find myself listening to so many forms of music, Prog remains my favorite.

Dumb story, but it's true!
[Insert Clever Phrase Here]
Catalani View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2011 at 13:53
Like everyone, I started with Pink Floyd. Then, I started to listen to Yes and Genesis and the virus grew up. 
2dogs View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2011 at 11:04
I initially got seriously into music around the age of 12 listening to Mott the Hoople, but the first real shock came with hearing Street Life by Roxy Music with all the weird noises and discordancy, after which I was more interested in finding something out of the ordinary than being tied into any particular genre. Punk and New Wave at the end of the 70s gave me plenty of new and experimental music to explore, but I never saw any reason to reject the older stuff and some of the prog rock has stayed with me since then, such as Curved Air, Van der Graaf Generator, King Crimson, Amon Duul 2, Can and Tangerine Dream. Having been through Heavy Metal, Goth, Psychedelic, Thrash / Death Metal and Industrial, I stumbled across an article on Krautrock in Record Collector magazine in the early 2000s, followed by the Krautrocksampler book and found this type of music most to my taste. In the last year I have been listening to the Krautrock - music for your brain box sets - all 24 CDs of them - and buying more of the early 70s German rock music featured. This has been a wonderful experience - hearing all this 70s music, but for the first time, like being transported back through a time warp. Having discovered this site, I am also looking forward to checking out some of the other material that has evaded my attention for the last 30 or 40 years, and having another listen to music I didn't particularly enjoy back then, but may now be in a better position to appreciate.Cool

fuyuakiworld View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2011 at 07:53
It's hard to say as that was mostly before I can rember. I can rember when I was seven and I really got into Rush, thanks to my Dad. The Beatles, Yes and many more bands followed as I went online and listened (listening to Yes' Prepetual Change right now). Now I'm 13 and  have an exstremely vaired musical tastes.
fuyuakiworld View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2011 at 12:46
My dad had a somewhat similar introdution. His older brother had been a fan of Rush for a few years but he was too young to really like it. But in 1980 he braught home Premanent Waves and he showed it to my dad who instantly fell in love with it became a HUGE Rush fan and then got into more bands like Yes and (Phil-era) Genesis. Then, as I got older I got into that stuff and now i'm a bigger prog fan than he is.
Dimension_Hatross View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2011 at 09:18
I was already into popular metal like Metallica and stuff, but one day I pillaged my step father's tape horde. I was playing stuff from it, like Motley Crüe, Extreme, Ratt, didn't really like it. Than I popped in Nothingface by Voivod and my mind was blown. The rest is a blur.
laplace View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2011 at 09:38
looking through my father's LPs I recognised "Tubular Bells" as something special from its cover, and listened to it three or four times in a day, diligently turning the disc over every time it finished until I was asleep.

Now i like spikier, more vicious music, but Tubular Bells always stays with me, stays important.
Ytse_Jam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2011 at 09:41
I always used to listen to stuff like DT, Genesis, Yes, Supertramp, but I never considered them more than great rock bands, until a day I was listening to DT's Images and Words and I realized that stuff was not only great music, but pure awesomeness..
OT Räihälä View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2011 at 11:51
I think the first time I really was left shell-shocked, amazed, speechless, well, whatever you call it, by prog music, it might have been in July 1975 in Kaustinen, Finland. The concert wasn't a part of the famous folk music festival, but was arranged while it went on, in the Kalliopaviljonki Hall in Kaustinen.

It was an ad hoc group on tour around Finland. There were five guys trying to play each other off the stage with their virtuoso skills: Jukka Tolonen, guitars, Seppo "Paroni" Paakkunainen, saxes and other wind instruments, Esa Kotilainen, keyboards, Pekka Pohjola, bass, and Esko Rosnell, drums. The band didn't even bother to have a name, so famous were its members at that time.

How can music be like this? I had never known anything like that! That was a pure jazz-rock heaven! And I was 11. Only later I found out what a dream team there was on stage that evening. Some years ago, I talked about this gig to Paroni Paakkunainen (now nearly 70). His instant reply was: do you have a recording of that gig? Do you know anybody who might have one? Obviously it was an occasion which he thought was a very special even for that quintet.

I've often thought that perhaps without that experience, I wouldn't have become so open minded with progressive music.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1415161718 25>