Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWhen were you infected by Prog?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2122232425>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2013 at 19:10
Originally posted by josuu josuu wrote:

Originally posted by progbethyname progbethyname wrote:

Couldn't agree more and l like both those bands mentioned very much, especially NIGHTWISH. Their last 2 albums I think are incredible and are the most advanced compositions yet. I could not pass up buying special editions for both Dark Passion Play and Immaginarium. Love the instrumental discs where Halopainen's keyboards are heightened with the overall grand orchestration. Also, how do you feel about Transiberian Orchestra?

I also have the special edition of Imagenaerum, but for me Once is a stronger album than DPP. It has a few of my all time favorite Nightwish songs, mainly the stunning epic Ghost Love Score... I'm very interested to see how the solo album Holopainen is now working on will turn out.

Haven't heard Transiberian Orchestra before, sounded really interesting though, I'll definitely check them out. Any good suggestions to start with?

I think Beethoven's last Night and Night Castle are decent places to start.
But, like all Trans-Siberian Orchestra albums they are not consistent all the way through, meaning you'll find some mediocre tracks on all albums. I really liked Ephiany off the Night Castle album. It's gold. 10min+ epic.
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
bloodnarfer View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2013 at 15:08
Originally posted by The.Crimson.King The.Crimson.King wrote:

Originally posted by bloodnarfer bloodnarfer wrote:

Our band director formed a percussion ensemble to perform Karn Evil 9 Second impression on vibes, xylophones, marimbas, etc.  I'm sure we did a mediocre job at it but a quick google of the song made me realize there was a whole genre of 'progressive rock' that I was missing out on.

How about a marimba version of Fripp's guitar part in the middle of Fracture?

4 hands, 6 mallets, 1 marimba Thumbs Up

This is actually one of the better keyboard percussion prog pieces I have seen.  When my brother was in band, the percussion competed with a select parts from Dream Theater songs Metropolis, Erotomania, and Space Dye Vest... I wish I had a link to show you.  It turned out much cleaner than our sloppy ELP tribute that is for sure.

I chose keyboard percussion almost exclusively for the fact that playing with 4 mallets makes you look cool Wink

Edited by bloodnarfer - July 24 2013 at 15:09
deanmadonia View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2013 at 12:58
Ahhh - in college, my roommate Dan had an older brother who was into Genesis. He infected me with UK, King Crimson, Genesis, Styx, Yes, The Stawbs, Marillion.....   It pretty much ruined my chances of becoming a famous pop star....

deanmadonia.com
"Scared cows make the best hamburger" - Mark Twain
sukmytoe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2013 at 14:26
I was around 12 years old when my grandfather gave me a powerfull old valve radio that he was no longer using. I surfed the Shortwave Bands and kind of late one evening I came across a channel called Radio Nederlands which was playing amazing music. They had an underground rock music session every Sunday night and I fell in love with what I heard. I think it was the first Uriah Heep album "Very 'Eavy, Very 'Umble" that they were featuring that specific evening. I didn't miss a Sunday night session with them after that.
yes.2 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2013 at 15:31
I'll never forget it.

I lived next to some programmers/coders in Plano Texas when I was in middle school. One of them turned me onto the police and then Utopia which turned into Todd Rundgren. So, in seventh grade we had this kid that was destined to listen to ACDC and Motley Crue all the sudden fall in love with Todd Rundgren and the Police. Made my way to Led Zeppelin after that. That lead to Rush. Rush lead to Yes and Super Tramp. Then came Japan and Can. That lead to Genesis and Peter Gabriel. That lead to Marillion, Kevin Gilbert and Gentle Giant, etc, etc, etc.....

Oh, what a strange and wonderful tip it's been.
I drank what?
Sequined_Tears View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2013 at 10:43
My parents were ELO and Alan Parsons Project fans (not completely prog, but a good stepping stone for a six year old in 1978).  Love the Parsons hand in new Steven Wilson "Raven that refused to sing" release.
I threw five clocks down on my bed
The chimes danced out on golden threads
And turned to footprints on my wall
Sequined Tears began to fall...
floydist View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2013 at 19:01
I blame it all on Pink Floyd. I have been obsessed with Pink Floyd since I was 14. I had always liked classic rock, folk and metal but was getting bored with it all. Being a huge Pink Floyd fan and interested in anything they did, I started listening to the bands on the same record label, the Harvest label. and that really opened the door to all the stuff I love now like Caravan, Kevin Ayers, Roy Harper, Gong, Steve HIllage, Kraan, Passport, Brand X, Camel, Isotope, Secret Oyster, Egg, Gilgamesh, Khan, PFM, among many others!
RKTolbert62 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2013 at 10:12
It was 1984  and I was 22 years old. Prior to that I was a huge fan of radio-friendly music since early childhood, then added classic rock to my loves...but at 21, while serving in the US Marine Corps, a guy who would end up being a lifelong friend gave me a copy of King Crimson's "In The Court of the Crimson King" to listen to "to see what I thought".

That was it - I was hooked. He had a HUGE music library  and we started going to Tower Records together every Saturday morning together to buy new prog & classic rock LPs and CDs and listen to them over beers all day.

I still love classic rock - and have since added blues and jazz to my loves - but prog is just as much of a passion as it was then, 30 years ago. My wife and 19 year old son also listen to prog with me - in fact my wife's favorite request is for Porcupine Tree (as well as Steve Wilson's solo stuff and Blackfield). We have seen Yes, Kansas and Transatlantic in concert together a s family and my wife and son loved it as much as I did.

I will never love only one style of music and simply can't relate to anyone who does. It's just too self-limiting and reeks of snobbery (as well as dishonesty) to my way of thinking. But prog is possibly my "favorite" along with instrumental rock/jazz fusion.

My music library now consists of about 5000 CDs and another 1000 downloaded albums, with no duplication between them (sadly, I traded in or sold over 1500 LPs in 1993 when we were all told "vinyl is dead!") and probably 1/4 of the library is either serious prog or prog-related. And as for King Crimson, the band that got me hooked? I own every single band album and side project album (including every one of the King Crimson Collector's Club releases) as well as every solo album form each former or present member, as well as their OWN occasional side-project bands. And I thank my old friend to this very day by sending him new releases from his favorite prog bands (such as Nektar) as a gift when they are released.

Edited by RKTolbert62 - August 02 2013 at 14:59
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2013 at 10:17
Fantastic first post!

Welcome to the site man, I hope you'll stick around. With your eclectic tastes you're bound to find some interesting music, as well as people, here on PABeer
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2013 at 10:52
^ I second that

Wow. A family full of proggers. Even the Wifey digs prog! My my, I Bet there are no fights at who wants to listen to what at the dinner table. Awesome. :)

And you all saw Transatlantic together!? My god that is freaking adorable. :)
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
Rando View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2013 at 11:53
Originally posted by RKTolbert62 RKTolbert62 wrote:

My music library now consists of about 5000 CDs and another 1000 downloaded albums (with no duplication) and probably 1/4 of it is only prog. And as for King Crimson, the band that got me hooked? I own every single band album and side project album (including every one of the King Crimson Collector's Club releases) as well as every solo album form each former or present member, as well as their OWN occasional side-project bands. And I thank my old friend to this very day by sending him new releases from his favorite prog bands (such as Nektar) as a gift when they are released.

Quite an impressive collection and history. Welcome to PA!

Smile Clap
- Music is Life, that's why our hearts have beats -
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2013 at 07:38
My introduction was Nursery Cryme when I was around 13. I think it was the bizarre lyrics about people having their heads taken off with mallets and people cutting their toes off that first attracted me. That would probably interest some psychiatrist somewhere.
AenimaUK View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2013 at 13:04
Hmm, I guess I *really* got into prog when I went to uni and got access to the internet, thus realising that my existing interests in rock (from my friends/dad) and jazz and classical (from my mum) had actually been combined about 30 years previously into some of the best music around! I'd already had Dark Side of the Moon and Zeppelin/etc for years, and had got hold of some Can via reading about influences on post-punk and some Opeth from some friends into metal, but around then I learnt about the Canterbury scene (from some Opeth interview, possibly?) and went out and bought Third by Soft Machine and In the Land of Grey and Pink by Caravan, still two of my all-time favourite albums of any genre, and with that I was finally convinced that 'real' prog (outside of specific krautrock and prog metal groups) was also great. At first I still only really liked the Canterbury scene, krautrock and prog metal, but it wasn't long til I succumbed to the charms of Genesis, Yes, Jethro Tull, Gentle Giant, Van der Graaf, etc. I'm still not a huge fan of much recent prog outside of prog metal, but I'm still discovering...
"A single voice for the whole thousand-voiced multiple, a single Ocean for all the drops, a single clamour of Being for all beings" Deleuze

"Densensitized to everything, what became of subtlety?" MJK
jviola95 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2013 at 13:44
My introduction to prog was in 2009 when I started high school. I had just started branching out and discovering music on my own. I had heard Rush, Yes, and ELP on classic rock radio stations, so I got into them without knowing what genre they were. I found myself drawn to that style of music, leading me to discover other prog bands like Genesis, Jethro Tull, Camel, etc. Since then, I've gotten into more obscure bands of the 70s along with a bunch of modern artists. Prog also lead me to discover genres like jazz, and being a fan of Tull lead me to folk. 
dog1995 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2013 at 06:21
I grew up with music like Pink Floyd, And most of my friends listen to prog so we share a lot of music with each other. 
funnelingunder View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2013 at 14:17
I remember my brother buying me Days of Future Passed for my 7th or 8th birthday. At that time, in 1970 and '71 my older brothers and sister had me listening to ELP and The Moodies quite heavily. Sprinkle in some Tull and I was well on my way...
Xonty View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2013 at 13:28
My way into prog was Rush, especially the 2112 album. I first heard Rush on a compilation album from "The Spirit Of Radio" which I loved, and then a few years later after I'd sort of forgotten about them, I rediscovered them on an article where I looked up YYZ which led to Red Barchetta and then, as said, 2112. To this day, it's still one of my all-time favourite albums altogether and I'm so thankful I found them
WeepingElf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2013 at 09:22
My first exposure to progressive rock was in 1983, when I was in 7th grade and our music teacher played various incarnations of Mussorgski's Pictures at an Exhibition to us - including what ELP had done with it.  However, Isao Tomita's synthesizer version moved me more at that point.  A short time after that, I heard Queen's Bohemian Rhapsody and was blown away.  But it really went off only in the late 1980s, when classmates (some of whom had sat in the music lesson mentioned above and thereby sent on the track) introduced me to Rush, Marillion and a few others.  Then came the 1990s and the Internet, and I discovered a wealth of progressive rock music which I had never dreamt that it would exist.

... brought to you by the Weeping Elf

"What does Elvish rock music sound like?" - "Yes."

deafmoon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2013 at 19:16
Well I knew of The Moody Blues, Procol Harum and Emerson Lake and Palmer from their radio stuff...but nothing really grabbed on to me and sunk deep into my psyche like Moving Waves album by Focus.

Eruption blew me away.

I was 12 years old and totally freaked over Eruption on that album. Pierre Van der Linden's drumming knocked me out. I think I listened to Eruption 10 times a day for a year.  
Deafmoon
proggman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2013 at 19:45
I think it was when I heard Echoes by Pink Floyd for the first time.
It was the first song I heard that was over 20 minutesand I wanted to hear more music that was like that.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2122232425>