Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWhen were you infected by Prog?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 22232425>
Author
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2013 at 13:15
I didn't really have any sudden enlightenment it was more of a gradual thing. I tended to like the more interesting and complex songs on various albums I listened to, and that just led to me in the right direction over time. I came to prog through Queen, maybe some Mike Oldfield and Sky, Deep Purple, Rainbow and so on. I couldn't even tell you the first classic prog album I picked up. It was probably Genesis, but it might have been Pink Floyd.

If you really pushed me I'd probably pick Prophet Song by Queen as the closest thing to a defining point, but even that was something that took a while to realy grab me.

progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2013 at 05:11
^ in the end, you were grabbed and affected by Prog. I think that anyone who studies and or really loves music in general eventually will be won over or affected by prog's beautiful diversity. Prog has so much to offer. :)
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2013 at 09:45

well i`ll take you back to `73. i`m 13yrs old around a friends house. our frist girlfriends there too!. so we need some music. so we went to his brothers albums. i pick up this album with a fox in a red dress. it looked so cool. i put it on the mellotron kicks in watcher of the skies. i lost both the friend/girl too!. as i would`nt let them turn it off. played both sides supper`s ready ending. they gone out. i was all on my own. but i had prog!!. i went rushing to the local record store with paper rounds wages and brithday monies. two weeks wages. i walk out with foxtrot/trespass/selling england by the pound. oh i was really lucky my antie was in there to she said i have`nt give you anything for your brithday is there something here you would like. oh boy was there.  it was a choice of two.  they were by. group i add not heared a note of the cocers where moving and amazing. the group was. yes. fragile and the just released. close to the edge. antie got me fragile. roll along xams and she an gotten edge too. i went on a prog rock seeking mission then. finding many new magical times. i`ve been here till i die. that one of the things which is where i gotten the geekfreak name from. just add trians, sci-fi, bookworm and prog!!!!!!. CoolLOLCoolStarClapLOLCool 

Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
Stromboil View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2013 at 11:31
The first album I remember listening to was Red. I was maby 5 or 6 years old. My dad showed it to me, I guess I'm an example of someone not rejecting the music of my parents :) I truly got in to prog when I was 14 or 15, when I got our old LP-player from the garage, set it up in my room and started to go though the boxes of old albums. Pretty soon I found myself browsing through record-stores for more after school, and ordering home albums I couldn't find from the Internet. I was truly hooked. I also started to "convert" some of my more musically interested friends. I don't think anyone I showed Genesis to liked them the first time (or the fifth time haha) but slowly a few of them started to come around. Now years later some of those guys are still among my closest friends, and prog is a big part of that :D
Hamlet Transportinae View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2013 at 18:48
My dad was playin' Fugazi and Script for A Jester's Tears all the time. I think that ruined my sanity and so I came out to e as loved up as I am now.
Donny Doom View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2013 at 12:30
My uncle who is a Rush fanatic turned me on to prog music. On my tenth birthday my uncle got me Rush's 2112 album because it was released the year I was born & it is his favorite album by them. I remember the first time the needle hit side one just being in awe & knowing at that moment I found my music. After that I spent hours picking over & listening to my uncle vinyl collection enjoying the rest of Rush's discography,King Crimson,Yes,Jethro Tull,Genesis,The Moody Blues,Pink Floyd,Manfred Mann's Earth Band & many more bands. Prog music really helped spark my passion for music. I would spend countless hours picking apart & learning about the eclectic diverse music that influenced all of the great prog bands like folk,blues,jazz,classical & so on. My passion for prog music followed me later on when I decided I wanted to learn how to play guitar & gave me a starting point.
JellySucker View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2013 at 01:49
When i was a 14 year old kid, i remember when i was first introduced to Emerson, Lake and Palmer by my keyboard mentor, The first prog song i listened to was The Barbarian by ELP, then i got introduced with more prog bands such as Yes, Gentle Giant, etc. Now i'm a 15 year old who hast vast collection of Prog LOL

Edited by JellySucker - November 17 2013 at 01:52
I print dank quality M E M E stickers ° ͜ʖ ͡ -
last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/jellypanini
facebook: https://www.facebook.com/ProgRockTime

Donny Doom View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2013 at 22:52
Originally posted by JellySucker JellySucker wrote:

When i was a 14 year old kid, i remember when i was first introduced to Emerson, Lake and Palmer by my keyboard mentor, The first prog song i listened to was The Barbarian by ELP, then i got introduced with more prog bands such as Yes, Gentle Giant, etc. Now i'm a 15 year old who hast vast collection of Prog LOL

Bravo!! Clap
RyanElliott View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2013 at 08:49
I was infected by Prog at a very very young age of 9. 

Being born in 92, that is weird. My mother was a big fan of Rush and Genesis when she was young. When I started to learn to play guitar, I started listening to some of the LP's she owned such as Selling England by The Pound, A farewell to Kings etc. and from there I discovered a big family tree of progressive music.

It has been in my blood ever since. 

And for that, I feel very blessed indeed! 
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2013 at 09:03
Originally posted by RyanElliott RyanElliott wrote:

I was infected by Prog at a very very young age of 9. 

Being born in 92, that is weird. My mother was a big fan of Rush and Genesis when she was young. When I started to learn to play guitar, I started listening to some of the LP's she owned such as Selling England by The Pound, A farewell to Kings etc. and from there I discovered a big family tree of progressive music.

It has been in my blood ever since. 

And for that, I feel very blessed indeed! 

Same here, my keyboard mentor was a veteran Prog player, he told me stories of his performances during his times on the 70s Cool, only that i was born on 98'

genbanks View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2013 at 19:47
Being a symphonic classical music listener, the prog rock started to infect me in 1984 when I was 15 years old. Everything started with Genesis track Mama, since then I started a pilgrimage in search of the Genesis discography, at those times I was shocked by Watcher of the skies, In the cage medley, Dodo and One for the vine. Since that moment it never stoped anymore.
Adien Fazmail View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2013 at 00:13
The most infected time is when i came too Indonesian Progressive Festival in 2002 .. the band whose play so stunning, and i realize that so many people and friends know and like about this music.. so i decide it to make and form a band with some progressive stuff
Agnenrecords View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2013 at 09:06
...It's September 1972. Kelly's record store, Barrow-in-Furness. I'm 13 and my older brother is just about to buy the recently released Close to the Edge and we're listening to all of side one in one of the booths, album sleeve in hands.
I'd never heard anything like it before (Virginia Plain, released the previous month, was the nearest I'd previously got to liking any sort of music.) From that moment I was hooked...

This night wounds time
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2013 at 09:18
Originally posted by Adien Fazmail Adien Fazmail wrote:

The most infected time is when i came too Indonesian Progressive Festival in 2002 .. the band whose play so stunning, and i realize that so many people and friends know and like about this music.. so i decide it to make and form a band with some progressive stuff

It's glad to find an Indonesian who also likes prog Big smile, mind if i PM you? Smile

guyuz View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2013 at 06:38
Well, I've been listening to Pink Floyd ever since I was, what, 9? Learned about them through dad, obviously...
Other than Floyd I would listen mostly to rock and to indie rock (Led Zeppellin, Queen, RHCP, and some indie rock bands), I didn't even know what prog was back then.

Then when I was 14/15 I got Rockband 3, and there was a Roundabout track. From then on I've read about prog and I've been exploring prog bands of all genres, expanding my horizons.
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2013 at 07:37
Originally posted by guyuz guyuz wrote:

Well, I've been listening to Pink Floyd ever since I was, what, 9? Learned about them through dad, obviously...
Other than Floyd I would listen mostly to rock and to indie rock (Led Zeppellin, Queen, RHCP, and some indie rock bands), I didn't even know what prog was back then.

Then when I was 14/15 I got Rockband 3, and there was a Roundabout track. From then on I've read about prog and I've been exploring prog bands of all genres, expanding my horizons.

Queen was a prog band that most common people don't realize

progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2013 at 15:29
Originally posted by genbanks genbanks wrote:

Being a symphonic classical music listener, the prog rock started to infect me in 1984 when I was 15 years old. Everything started with Genesis track Mama, since then I started a pilgrimage in search of the Genesis discography, at those times I was shocked by Watcher of the skies, In the cage medley, Dodo and One for the vine. Since that moment it never stoped anymore.

What a great story. Very cool.
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
scruffydragon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2013 at 13:37
probably at primary school way back in the 70's in class where our teacher used to play music for us to move to or draw to etc. I think that's where I first heard Camels snow goose. I still love this album. I also found 45 rpm in the gutter not far from where I lived of renaissance northern lights/opening out which I must of worn out on my old Phillips mono record player. I guess someone did not want the record and used it as a Frisbee, it became my favorite record. I then forgot about most 70's music when I started going out in the early 80's with my mates. I reconnected with the music from my childhood about 10 years ago after my marriage broke up. It really helped me through that difficult period.
poeghost View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2013 at 20:58
It started for me with The Beatles. My first album by them was The Blue Album. I think I was about 13 years old at the time. Steppenwolf probably isn't considered prog, but I loved that long medley on side 2 of The Second album. The longer version of "Magic Carpet Ride" also amazed me. It's my favorite Steppenwolf album. Later on after I graduated from high school I discovered Arthur Brown singing "Fire" on Solid Gold. I was so impressed by him, I got the album "The Crazy World of Arthur Brown" and that moved me further into getting prog music.
Lourenco View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2014 at 20:12
When I listened "Selling England by the Pound", first second after hit the play Peter Gabriel said : "Can you tell me where my country lies?"... That changed my life.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 22232425>