Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWhen were you infected by Prog?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 232425
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2014 at 20:51
For me it was Rush. My family moved to a new town in 1979, when I was 11 years old. My new neighbors were big Rush heads. I hated it at first, but as I started to hear more, it grew on me. Soon, I was taping Rush songs off the radio. They've been my favorite band ever since. I've only recently started to really branch out to more prog. Another favorite of mine is Spock's Beard. Just a great band before Morse left.
IbanezzDream View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2014 at 15:31
Dream Theater's Awake was what officially converted me. I was 7 at the time and was going through my dad's CD collection to find some new tunes to listen to. I came across Awake and was impressed by the very cool album cover art. I popped in the CD and was ambushed by the monster opening fill on 6:00. Haven't looked back since! Also side note, Portnoy gets his share of criticism, but I think even the critics can't deny his drumming is superb on this album!  
Forward Shapes
Melodic Prog featuring Marco Minnemann and Alison Vance.
Seeking reviews for 1st album!
ebil0505 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2014 at 17:15
The first time I felt I was truly "infected" would have to be my freshman year in high school (2009). I was in my biology class and as it was leaving I plugged in my headphones to listen to Yes, a band I had just been introduced to. I immediately chose Roundabout and although it wasn't the first time I heard it, something about that moment stuck with me and I gained so much respect for each musician in Yes that I knew this was a band I'd come to really adore. And I did. They're my favorite
"I like to think oysters transcend national barriers." - Roger Waters
religare View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2014 at 19:00
For me it was Pink Floyd.

I listened to Dark Side of the moon in a trip we made to the mountain around 1998 and taht music changed my life
RIREINC View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2014 at 15:06
Well.. around 2003-2004 I was a hardcore fan of Judas Priest, I was 15 years old and my neighbors around the same age were fans of Zeppelin, Black Sabbath and AC/DC. We used to hang out a lot and always listen to this 4 four bands in almost a cyclical manner. I really liked the live version of Dazed and Confused... 26 minutes of a blues-rock jam? Awesome! But one day... One of my neighbors comes with a copy of Pink Floyd Animals, turns the volume up and pushes the play button on track 2: Dogs.

My life was changed.
Listen to Learn, Learn to Live and Live to Listen
Tedhead View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2014 at 20:34
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

Hmmm...I'd have to say it was within the space of a year in high school, between 76-77.  I saw concerts with Genesis (Trick of the Tail), Floyd (In the Flesh-Animals), Yes (Going for the One), and Tull (Songs From the Wood). It was a prog overdose. Well, it was an overdose of one thing or another, in any case.

I would have to say this one impresses me the most.  One hell of a way to get into prog, and all in one year!

Before I tell my own story, I wanted to mention that I met a guy in college who was talked into seeing a one of Pink Floyd's 1988 concerts.  He told me that he seriously expected it to be like a Crosby, Stills, and Nash concert: just some old guys on the stage with acoustic guitars playing songs like "Wish You Were Here".  

Needless to say, his head exploded at that concert as he was totally unprepared for the multi-media assault freakout!

Pig
all men must die...
Tedhead View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2014 at 21:06
At 16, I rented The Wall from Blockbuster video in the summer of 1987.  I loved the animation.  I was getting Rolling Stone magazine, reading mostly about Prince, The Cure, New Order, and other post punk alternative music.   But I came across their 20th anniversary of the Summer of Love and Sgt Pepper.  I was intrigued.  That fall, the Momentary Lapse of Reason tour took off, and I couldn't go because it was a school night.  I asked one of the many Floyd shirt wearing classmates how it was, and she said she couldn't describe it.  She loaned me Dark Side on cassette if I recorded my vinyl copy of The Wall for her.  She told me not to listen to it until I put on headphones.  I was not ready for that sort of panning, a psychedelic assault on a sober kid!  I was hooked, and started spending lunch money on Floyd albums until I had them all, including Waters solo.

At 17, a friend recommended King Crimson.  I bought the Young Person's Guide at a record convention, and took it home when all of a sudden my car stalled on me just before I reached my neighborhood.  My dad picked me up and was not in a good mood.  When I got home, I was upset and put on the record.  I hated it.  Strings?  What is this? where is the psychedelic freakout music?  I sold it to that same friend who told me about them.  He kept at me for months, even into summer after graduation.

I figured I would at least check out this "Discipline" cd he went on and on about.  A hippie working at Sound Warehouse walked up and asked if I needed help, then told me that this cd would "Bring me closer to God, maaaaan!".  He would pay me cash the next day if I took it home and didn't like it.  Deal.  I took it home, and it was like nothing I had heard before, and it grew on me.  

It was the summer of 1989, and I noticed the name Bruford as the drummer, and this album by ABWH had come out.  The commercial for the pay per view special looked really interesting, until I heard the familiar melody to "Long Distance Runaround".  THIS IS YES????  The Owner of a Lonely Heart band???  Holy crap, my uncle had Fragile and played it a lot when I was a child, so I recognized the songs.  I ordered the pay per view, saw clips of their history (including the Wetton period of King Crimson).  Then the concert itself came on.  I watched it on my dad's big screen tv with the stereo newly hooked up to the cable box.  WHOA.  I was blown away, and happy that I recorded it on VHS.

After buying the 80s Crim trilogy, an older friend asked me if I had heard "21st Century Schizoid Man".  Why, no!  Me, another friend my age, and the older friend got into his car and cranked it.  We were floored.  That winter of 1989, the EG Definitive Edition reissues of KC's catalog came out.  I bought cd's whenever I could, and was amazed with one album after another, in order starting with In The Court...

It grew from there.  Being an 80s kid, I was surprised: Peter Gabriel was in GENESIS?  Phil Collins played drums?  the Sussudio guy? (I hated that song with a passion).  Then the 90s started, and along with my Lollapalooza bands, Led Zeppelin, and the Grateful Dead, I was into prog.  I would see one prog show a year:

1990: Robert Fripp and the League of Crafty Guitarists.  Went with parents since I wasn't 21 yet.  We loved it.
1991: Yes Union tour.  Intense battle of the bands.
1992: ELP Black Moon tour.  I got to hear Tarkus.  Keith Emerson played the organ upside down.
1993: Jethro Tull with Procol Harum.  Tull played everything I wanted to hear, including Chateau D'isaster!!!
1994 Pink Floyd's Division Bell. twice, including the infamous rained out Houston show. Otherworldly, and in quad!
1995: King Crimson's Thrak tour.

Then I got heavily into Krautrock, Canterbury, etc. because the crowds at those big prog shows I found to be very annoying.  I still loved the music.

Today I appreciate the prog sensibilities of metal bands such as Iron Maiden, Metallica, Rainbow, etc.  I have yet to get into any neo prog or modern prog metal bands.  They just seem a bit too cold for my tastes.
all men must die...
deafmoon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2014 at 08:46
Man I really had to think on this, but I think it was 1973 at a school dance. A band called Blue Moose played Procol Harum's Conquistador and I got drawn in. Maybe a bit more 'pop' than prog at the time. But, after that I got into Procol, Tull, Yes, ELP and living all that as a young teen was the thrill of a lifetime. Thank God I lived it when so much of it was being created. Approve 
Deafmoon
claugroi View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2014 at 16:42
I think the allegory of the virus is a valid one because the taste for a musical genre grows inside us like a disease and we might take some time to notice it. It's not like "on the 21st of May, I started to like Prog rock". 

In my case, I started with Pink Floyd at the age of 14 because that was (and still is, very probably) my father's favourite band (Pink Floyd is venerated here in Brazil). Then he showed me Yes and Genesis. I fell in love with them (they are currently my favourite bands after The Beatles). Then he told me about Supertramp, The Moody Blues, Alan Parsons Project, ELP, Eloy, Triumvirat,  Focus, Jethro Tull, King Crimson, Mike Oldfield, Kraftwerk, Tangerine Dream etc. After some time, my best friend told me about Gentle Giant and I also fell in love with it. Then I began searching for Prog and found VdGG, PFM, Os Mutantes, O Som Nosso de Cada Dia, Som Imaginário, O Terço, Bacamarte, José Cid, The Flower Kings and others by myself.

In a nutshell, it's my father's fault, but I think even if he didn't like Prog that would be the obvious path to follow, once I have been a Beatles fan since 12. I bet one thing would lead me to the other anyway.

I'm only 21 now and I hope this infection of mine gets "worse" as my life progresses !

Edited by claugroi - April 04 2014 at 16:43
Symphonic Prog Master
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 232425