Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Motoi Sakuraba (Symphonic prog or Prog electronic)
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedMotoi Sakuraba (Symphonic prog or Prog electronic)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Motoi Sakuraba (Symphonic prog or Prog electronic)
    Posted: April 14 2010 at 22:10
Motoi Sakuraba is a very famous Japanese keyboardist/organist/composer/arranger which started his career in such symphonic prog bands as "Deja-Vu"(already on PA) and "Pazzo Fanfano di Musica" (alredy on PA). After that he started his solo career recording album called "Gikyokuonsou". It was his only stand alone album. After that he recorded many sountracks to Japanese video games and anime movies. But don't stop to read now!! These "soundtracks" are ful blown symphonic prog albums! They are full of Hammonds (emulated on Korg organs in fact), real Minimoog flights and electric/acoustic pianos. The most interesting for prog heads are "Shining the Holy Ark" and "Shining Force III"  soundtracks and all "arrange albums" which are soundtrack albums arranged to sound like stand alone prog albums (normal length tracks, no drum-machines or programming synths, real bassists... it seems).
His music is very similar to Japanese "The Black Mages" which also record porg versins of soundtracks(already on PA). It can be also compered to Gerard, Ars Nova and 70' prog-trios as UK, Triumvirat or ELP.

However Sakuraba shows that he's a real prog rock beast on his live albums (like: Motoi Sakuraba Live Concert "Star Ocean & Valkyrie Profile" Album from 2003)

You can find lots of his compositions performed live on youtube:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kwu1Fozafpc

www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngzi-zCmNVk

www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDxEN0DPBSA

He also recorded several piano-only albums like Rick Wakeman.

Full discography:

ozzy_tom View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2010 at 02:13

No comments? Symphonic Team not interested?

I think he deserves to be included on PA. His albums ara in equally progressive rock quality as other Japanese keyboards-driven acts like "Gerard", "Ars Nova" or "Social Tension".

I hope myspace, amazon and especially Youtube links prove it enough...

Some pictures including his splendid keyboards rig (including Korg organ which looks like real Hammond B3 & Moog synth) to gain attention!:

Edited by ozzy_tom - April 20 2010 at 07:33
GentleGiant View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2010 at 02:17
I have only "Gikyokuonsou" which is indeed in the prog symphonic territory Thumbs Up
BeGiantForADay

"This British band is just the cup of tea for aficionados who demand virtuosity,progress and originality in their mix."

http://rateyourmusic.com/~GentleG
memowakeman View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2010 at 09:19
I have heard some random songs, which sound very symphonic indeed, will check your links later

Follow me on twitter @memowakeman
harmonium.ro View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2010 at 08:02
The samples on MySpace have nothing to do with prog but the YouTube samples sound like Symphonic Prog indeed. I'll ask the Symphonic Team to evaluate this suggestion.
philippe View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2010 at 03:44
You've suggested progressive electronic or symphonic prog...this Japanese uses the vintage keyboards in a very classical symphonic fashionable way, sometimes its powerfully epic, sometimes goofy...too far from the dada / atonal / post-industrial experiments and layered dronescapes which  prevail in the progressive electronic subgenre. 
ozzy_tom View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2010 at 03:58
Sorry, but I don't know too much about electronic prog-rock. Some of his compositions have lots of synthsizers flights (not all of his material sound like these youtube videos!) so I thought that maybe electronic prog will be interested.
philippe View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2010 at 05:40
Originally posted by ozzy_tom ozzy_tom wrote:

Sorry, but I don't know too much about electronic prog-rock. Some of his compositions have lots of synthsizers flights (not all of his material sound like these youtube videos!) so I thought that maybe electronic prog will be interested.

no problem, it's an honest and welcomed suggestion for the archives. I hope you'll get a positive reply from the symphonic prog team.

The progressive electronic subgenre covers a large range of musical styles, from early electronic experiments, space age vintage electro-pop, kosmische musik to organic ambient...however artists who play keyboards in a symphonic or in an impressionistic way are commonly included in the symphonic prog subgenre or in prog related (Vangelis...). The progressive electronic subgenre just features a handful of artists who impregnate their music with discreet symphonic tendencies (Francesco Buccheri, Cacciapaglia, Jobson...) 
ozzy_tom View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2010 at 21:06
What about this one? I think if "the Black Mages" are included on PA, Sakuraba plays equally good and similar in style kind of prog rock. I know that most of his music was used in games/cartoons etc. but it deosn't change a thing that it's mostly pure prog rock... Any more thoughts?
harmonium.ro View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2010 at 21:42
The Symph Team agreed on the "prog" in the YouTube samples but have expressed their doubts over their relevance in the guy's discography. At least that's what I understood from Ivan's response, you can ask him more Tongue
AtomicCrimsonRush View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2010 at 08:05
Theres some good stuff here - Star Ocean Forever is symphonic. Its iunteresting how a lot of his stuff on myspace is not symp but the youtube live clips are.

i could see this in the Symph category if enough of his material lines up. Its a bit like Rick Wakeman at times. Its all instrumental with a keyboard overload.

Nice music. It deserves a prog placement somewhere. 
ozzy_tom View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2010 at 20:15
Thanks for support AtomicCrimsonRush :-)
ozzy_tom View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2010 at 20:16
After bigger amount of mp3 for evaluation I've sent to Symphonic Team anything changed according to this artist? Any chance to be included on PA?
DamoXt7942 View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Avant/Cross/Neo/Post Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2011 at 03:02
 Post Reply Post Reply