Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Live Performance Reviews
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedAstra,Diagonal and Litmus gig at the Scala!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Astra,Diagonal and Litmus gig at the Scala!
    Posted: April 15 2010 at 17:34
Wow!  What a night.  The great line up certainly did not disappoint a good turn out at the Scala.  I have seen Diagonal a few times over the past year but this was the best I have seen them even though the sax player was not performing.  They finished their set with the amazing 'Pact' which sent the crowd wild with appreciation.  I just hope the rumours of possible line up changes are not true.  Even better was to come with Astra's first ever gig in the UK.  Progressive Rock at it's very best.  The drummer even seemed happy with the comparison of his style with a certain C. Vander by certain enthusiastic friends of mine watching in awe.  The only thing that could improve on such a night would be to include The Laze on this bill.  I would love them to play stuff from the new album 'Spacetime fabric conditioner'
Bonnek View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2010 at 17:55

What, a gig with Diagonal and Astra!?
Why am I not paying attention to the really exciting things that are happening out there Ouch
Must have been a great gig, those bands are amazing.

harmonium.ro View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2010 at 04:09
I'm surprised by the comparison with Vander, most of Astra's music is in slow tempos, very opposed to Magma's. But that probably means that he was very good. Nice!
Rivertree View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Band Submissions

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2010 at 05:40
Lucky You! What a great line-up for one evening Shocked

FatOldSun View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2010 at 13:19
It was a superb gig - once Litmus had finished. They were just too loud for me. But Diagonal, who were new to me, were excellent. And Astra were simply amazing. Two bands who for two hours transported me back in time to 1970.

Astra didn't just play tracks from The Weirding, or if they did they were vastly different. The three main ones were the The Weirding, Ouroboros, and The River Under, which all sounded quite similar to the album versions. The first track was apparently The Rising Of The Black Sun but it was about twice as long and was great. There were a couple more instrumental jams and unfortunately that's all there was time for. I could have listened to them play all night.

There are a few YouTube videos of all three bands. Not the greatest sound quality but you'll get the general feel.
FusionKing View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2010 at 13:46
Sounds great! I'm going to keep an eye on the gigs happening up here then. Speaking of gigs, is anyone going to see Emerson, Lake And Palmer at the High Voltage Festival?
"Man is nothing else but that which he makes of himself" - Sartre
phibes View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2010 at 14:45
I hope to go! It would be great for the organisers to include the likes of Astra and Diagonal on the bill.  They are 2 new bands who catch the spirit of the classic prog bands of the 70's.  Come to think of it they should also include Anekdoten, Dungen, Wobbler and even Jaga Jazzist.  Any other suggestions who else should play? 
FusionKing View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2010 at 16:48
Forget who SHOULD play the gig, 'cause look who IS doing the gig anyway!  ZZ Top, Heaven And Hell, Asia, Marillion, Pendragon, Focus, UFO, Wishbone Ash (Martin Turner's), Uriah Heep, Venom, Black Label Society, Clutch, Down, The Quireboys, The Answer, Transatlantic, Gary Moore, Foreigner, Dweezil Zappa, Steve Hackett, Joe Bonemassa, Bachman And Turner, Argent and finally...Magnum.
How about that for two days of awesomeness!!! Plus ELP are the headliners!!! They have it divid into 3 stages the main stage, the metal hammer stage and the prog stage! Also they're gonna have a rock cinema (whatever that is but it sounds really good), a vinyl exchange and an exhibition of fast cars and motorbikes! ...and beer, lots and lots of beer! When I read about this thing I thought I had died! Star
"Man is nothing else but that which he makes of himself" - Sartre
 Post Reply Post Reply