Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedApryl Fool (proto-prog or psychedelic rock)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Apryl Fool (proto-prog or psychedelic rock)
    Posted: April 15 2010 at 21:10
Apryl Fool was first professional band featuring organist Hiro Yanagida (Food Brain, Shinki Chen & Friends & others). It was Japanese psychedelic/heavy blues outfit from late 60'. Worth checkin', especially if you're interested in the roots of Japanese prog and psych music.
Their music is a mix of psych and blues influences full of typical organ/guitar soloing.

Line-up:

Hiroyoshi Yanagida (organ, piano), Eiji Kikuchi (lead guitar), Tadaki "Chu" Kosaka (lead vocals), Haruomi Hosono (bass), Takashi Matsumoto (drums)

They recorded only one self-titled album in 1969.

other:

www.japrocksampler.com/artists/japrock/apryl_fool/

www.answers.com/topic/apryl-fool

Edited by ozzy_tom - April 15 2010 at 22:14
harmonium.ro View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2010 at 04:54
Tomasz, regarding late 60s / early 70s bands that could be considered Proto-Prog or Prog-Related, you should know that the Admin team (who are in charge of this categories) are not accepting all the bands fitting the description, just the fundamental ones:

Originally posted by Dean two days ago Dean two days ago wrote:

Proto Prog and Prog Related are emotive and very subjective categories, which is why the Admin team "manages" those two separately from the other subgenres. We have no intention or desire to add every band that could be remotely related or influential on the Progressive Rock movement - only those select bands that were key or important are considered, which is why it is difficult to give an objective definition. Whether this is right or wrong is constantly up for debate and (again) everybody has an opinion, even of they do not have a comprehensive knowledge of the genre, the history of the bands in question.

btw: The process of PP and PR is different to other subgenres because the suggestion process is different too (see Uwe's post for a link to the normal band suggestion process).

In other subgenres anyone can suggest a band - all anyone needs to do is open a new thread in Suggest New Bands lounge, along with a short biography, discography, suggested subgenre and reasons why the band should be included - Even non- PA members can suggest bands, they can email the admin google account with the suggestion and the band will be considered.

This is not the case with PP and PR. Only a Special Collaborator can suggest a band to the Admin Team for evaluation into these two categories (and that SC must be prepared to add the band if accepted - the Admin's do not add bands). This is not a closed-shop - anyone can still suggest a band to PP or PR, but they have to convince an SC to propose that band to the Admin team - think of this as a pre-selection process. Apart from that, the process is the same.

earlyprog View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Neo / PSIKE / Heavy Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2010 at 11:47
^Right, but this shouldn't stop anyone from suggesting additions to the proto-prog genre.

Even if they didn't influence the development of prog until this day they could influence the future development of prog, a prerequiste being their exposure on sites like PA.

Also, you should take into consideration the changing opinions of the Admin Team over time.

Thirdly, another prog genre than (that suggested) proto-prog may end up being more appropriate.

Edited by earlyprog - April 17 2010 at 11:56
Einsetumadur View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2010 at 12:27
I think that the strange voices free jazz sounds in the middle of "The Lost Mother Land" and the strange festival effects in the end are quite original.

Sounds like what Pink Floyd did with Ummagumma at that time, although a bit heavier and more ghostly.

I think that these strange escapades (even though the organ sounds awful LOL, but that's subjective) justify an inclusion for psychedelic/Proto.
All in all each man in all men
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2010 at 13:58
Originally posted by earlyprog earlyprog wrote:

^Right, but this shouldn't stop anyone from suggesting additions to the proto-prog genre.

Did I say anything to stop this suggestion? Confused I am putting things in perspective, just like you are doing.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2010 at 05:55
Just so you guys know, the band is being promoted by DamoXt7942 for Proto-Prog. I will leave my comments there... I definitely support this move. 
DamoXt7942 View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Avant/Cross/Neo/Post Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2010 at 08:40
... And whilst evaluated by Proto-Prog (Admin) Team, I've posted my blog about them here.

Thanks.
DamoXt7942 View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Avant/Cross/Neo/Post Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2011 at 22:27
And finally added in Psych / Space library.
http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=6584
 Post Reply Post Reply