Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedAllan Holdsworth

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Allan Holdsworth
    Posted: April 16 2010 at 09:20
So as a guitar freak, this may sound wierd, but I haven't really heard as much Holdworth as I think I should. And nothing has ever really grabbed me. What albums to people suggest that I listen to so I can really hear him at his best and say "Well I've heard him and it is or isn't for me."

I have Soft Machine's Bundles, on which he's good but still doesn't truly grab me.
You are quite a fine person, and I am very fond of you. But you are only quite a little fellow, in a wide world, after all.
tamijo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2010 at 12:08
I would dig into his work with Bruford on "One of a Kind"

Edited by tamijo - April 16 2010 at 12:08
Prog is whatevey you want it to be. So dont diss other peoples prog, and they wont diss yours
tszirmay View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2010 at 12:12
Jean-Luc Ponty's masterful Enigmatic Ocean is a great place to check out his work !
I never post anything anywhere without doing more than basic research, often in depth.
himtroy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2010 at 17:32
The album Bruford-Feels Good to Me is some great Holdsworth work.  The Gong album Gazeuse is Alan Holdsworth absolutely destroying.
The Quiet One View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2010 at 17:35
Metal Fatigue by Holdsworth himself
Gazeuse! by Gong has some incredible guitar playing by Allan
Enigmatic Ocean by Jean-Luc Ponty has my favorites "duels" between guitar, violin and synth

I would say that Holdsworth's playing on Bundles is his least spectacular, the sound of his guitar on that album compared to the ones I mentioned are notably different.

The "famous" Prog supergroup, U.K., has Allan Holdsworth playing in their debut. If you want to check how Allan would sound in a Prog band, this is the perfect place.

Edited by The Quiet One - April 16 2010 at 17:36
ghost_of_morphy View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2010 at 18:20
Originally posted by tamijo tamijo wrote:

I would dig into his work with Bruford on "One of a Kind"
That or his solo album Road Games.
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2010 at 19:06
Originally posted by Negoba Negoba wrote:

So as a guitar freak, this may sound wierd, but I haven't really heard as much Holdworth as I think I should. And nothing has ever really grabbed me. What albums to people suggest that I listen to so I can really hear him at his best and say "Well I've heard him and it is or isn't for me."

I have Soft Machine's Bundles, on which he's good but still doesn't truly grab me.

Bundles is a great live album but he hadn't fully developed his style yet.. if you'd prefer something a bit more  guitar-oriented and accessible I'd say Secrets or Road Games.. if you like very complex and personal maybe something like Hard Hat Area or Wardenclyffe Tower he's also a magnificent guest on k2's Book of the Dead and the Johansson Bros' Heavy Machinery

Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2010 at 20:29
No one's mentioned i.o.u. yet.  I got to see him on that tour.  He played at a really crappy punk club 688 in Atlanta.  I got to meet the band and Allan after the concert.  So maybe I'm a little prejudiced, but it's a good H album.  I also like the Velvet Darkness album.  Holdsworth didn't want the music released because it wasn't really finalized and I think I remember hearing he got screwed over on the whole deal. 

Also possibly of interest to some, Gary Husband, who's worked with Allan as a drummer did a piano record of reconstructed covers of Holdsworth pieces.  The Things You See.

Edited by Slartibartfast - April 16 2010 at 21:20
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2010 at 20:30
yes yes, i.o.u. is awesome, pretty difficult music to star with though but it is a great one, maybe my favorite

Moogtron III View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2010 at 07:28

As others have mentioned:

UK - UK
Bruford - Feels Good To Me
Bruford - One Of A Kind
Allan Holdsworth - Secrets
Negoba View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2010 at 07:44
Thanks, folks, I have some great ideas. I'll see if I can sample a few first and then buy a couple.
You are quite a fine person, and I am very fond of you. But you are only quite a little fellow, in a wide world, after all.
halabalushindigus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2010 at 13:41
hears some licks by Allan, something in the range of a 25 note rapid-fire arrpegio which absolutley astounded me. Wow, is this guy real good or what?

assume the power 1586/14.3
XunknownX View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2010 at 19:23

I.O.U.

Bitterblogger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2010 at 17:18
Check him out with Tony Williams Lifetime, especially the cut "Fred" on "Believe It".
Negoba View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2010 at 09:20
I got Gazeuse and One of a Kind.

Gazeuse seems great so far. Very good fusion, lots of emotion. Holdsworth actually has a little fire.

One of a Kind is ok and Dave Stewart is pretty disappointing, and I love the guy. Very dated sound. Holdsworth is also starting to mellow out.
Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2010 at 09:29

Gazeuse seems great so far. Very good fusion, lots of emotion. Holdsworth actually has a little fire.

One of a Kind is ok and Dave Stewart is pretty disappointing, and I love the guy. Very dated sound. Holdsworth is also starting to mellow out.

Those two are great albums for me.  Got to see Bruford live on the One Of A Kind tour at the Atlanta Agora.  I was too young to be there as it was an alcohol serving club.  Might be why it doesn't sound dated to me.  Stewart on Khan on the other hand... LOL
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Negoba View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2010 at 10:01
I love Stewart on Khan. Same thing, that period was before my time so the key sounds are more classic than cheesy. By 1979, I remember hearing those key sounds everywhere. I'm sure seeing that live would have been mindblowing. All four musicians are masters, maybe my expectations were a little too high.
Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2010 at 10:13
Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

Those two are great albums for me.  Got to see Bruford live on the One Of A Kind tour at the Atlanta Agora.  I was too young to be there as it was an alcohol serving club.  Might be why it doesn't sound dated to me.  Stewart on Khan on the other hand... LOL

Unfortunately, Allan wasn't in the band anymore at that point. The "Unknown" John Clarke had replaced him.

b_olariu View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2010 at 10:17
Metal fatigue - 1985 from his solo stuff , and on One of a kind from Bill Bruford solo
esky View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2010 at 14:36
The Bruford albums he's on and Enigmatic Ocean. Sorry to say I still haven't seen him live but he'll play a once-in-a-blue-moon gig at a place called the Baked Potato in Hollywood every so often if you can make it out this way.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>