Topic ClosedTimes Up

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Times Up
    Posted: April 19 2010 at 08:31
Have you heard Times Up track on Prognosis 6 CD - they are currently unsigned but sound great with Snow Queen. What do you all think of them? see website www.timesupband.co.uk

do they deserve a place in the PA? Just wondering...Star
TIMES UP View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2010 at 09:38
Hi, Thanks for you kind words about "SnowQueen". It's the opening track from our second album, due for release later in 2010. Regards TIMES UP
AtomicCrimsonRush View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2010 at 14:00
I was not expecting to hear from the band themselves.

Nice to hear from you and I think you may end up on here once the word gets around. Prog On!  
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2010 at 08:57

Times Up are yet to release their new second album but I was privileged to have contact with one of their members here who sent on request some unmastered “rushes” from the soon to be released “Snow Queen” album in 2010. He contacted me after I wrote about the ‘Snow Queen’ track from “Prognosis 6” CD from Classic Rock Presents Prog mag. Here’s some impressions of these tracks in their early forms.

‘Secret Garden’ – it begins instantly with the strong vocals and loud walls of sound embellished by keyboards and guitars. The wah-wah guitar solo to follow is well executed. “Would you like to join me in my garden?” the question is pondered. The surreal reflective lyrics enhance the atmospherics. The genuine drawcard is the blend of keys and accomplished guitar playing. The instrumental break quietens down at 3:30 and there is a radio news montage of key moments in history featuring President Kennedy, The Beatles and other news broadcasts.  I like the line, “I have a secret lover, she visits me while I am asleep”.  It is a crystalline sound and very progressive. The track has a running time of 5:50.

‘Snow Queen’ (Mastered version) – this begins with ethereal wind effects, and the lyrics, "take me away to the end of days when darkness descends a magical sway, ...queen of the night... you forfeit your soul, you play the game, don’t you play the game.” Nice lyrics backed by very strong beats from the drumming patterns. The guitars are clean and continue a consistent melodic rhythm. The time sig completely changes at about 3 minutes in and there is a killer guitar riff that kicks in sporadically.  The time sig changes again at 3:40 and the vocals are, “they offer praise, exultation.” A bizarre voice is heard and then a new feel locks in with trumpet sounds created by sophisticated keyboard playing.  There is a lot of depth and emotion in this music and the band are rock solid tight and yet have isolated moments where individuals are given a chance to shine. The tempo picks up pace and the time sig is completely different at 7 minutes in and there are some awesome keyboard up sweeps. The drums take on a marching tempo. The guitars are riffing elegant, and I have to mention the strong vocal delivery with vibrato, which is different to the run of the mill soft gentle delivery. Running Time of the track is 8:10 and it is the same track as featured on “Prognosis 6 CD”.

An 8:30 instrumental version of the track "Snow Queen" was also sent and although the music was absolutely beautiful I missed those vocals, however this would make a nice bonus track on the album perhaps.

Times Up are unsigned but not for long I prophecy. Great symphonic prog music and I look forward to the release of “Snow Queen”.

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2010 at 09:24
How are these guys going? - been quiet but I think thats cos they are recording new album.
TIMES UP View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2010 at 05:59
Hi, Times Up here.......Spot on...still in the studio trying to get the new album out before Christmas...There are a few new album track samples on our website www.timesupband.co.uk Take a listen......
Marty McFly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2012 at 12:33
So it's out now, great. We will proceed to the next stage.
There's a point where "avant-garde" and "experimental" becomes "terrible" and "pointless,"

-Andyman1125 on Lulu

Even my
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2012 at 13:13
Listening to the stuff on their site now - good stuff which I will have to invest in.

And they are a Welsh band - get them on the site!!Wink
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
Marty McFly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2012 at 16:42
Welsh are the new Scottish, hehe.
There's a point where "avant-garde" and "experimental" becomes "terrible" and "pointless,"

-Andyman1125 on Lulu

Even my
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2012 at 08:23
Good band - let's hope they get added! The evaluation in Crossover can be followed here: http://progfreak.com/Times-Up-130750.html?path=pa/recent.
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2012 at 23:02
They were, in fact, added a few months back: http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=7317
 Post Reply Post Reply