Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedHawkwind - Space Ritual

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hawkwind - Space Ritual
    Posted: April 19 2010 at 23:58
What is everyone's opinion of this legendary album? Some people may argue whether Hawkwind are progressive rock or not... but the "Space Ritual" album is most definitely progressive. For those that don't know or haven't heard it, it's basically a live concept album, with no pauses for applause in between songs (each song flows into the next one), a few space related poetry interludes between songs, and many long songs with long instrumental sections. The album is very heavy... an advertisement at the time said that the album is "88 minutes of brain damage". This is pretty much true, except I wouldn't say that it damages the brain... it enlightens it. It's 88 minutes of pure space-rock brilliance.

Oh, and the Album Cover may be the best of all time. It boggles my mind how someone could have come up with an album cover so amazing.
tszirmay View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2010 at 00:03
I saw Lemmy's last show before being busted and booted (Warrior tour) and it is definitely BRAIN DAMAGE!

That being said, Space Ritual is a raw classic that still stands the test of time (On the edge perhaps!Wink)
I never post anything anywhere without doing more than basic research, often in depth.
AtomicCrimsonRush View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2010 at 00:55
Read it - I loved it

5 stars Spacey psychedelia......"Do not panic.......... Do not panic Think only of yourself Think only of yourself Think only of yourself ".

The eyeball searing album cover screams it out and then prepare yourself to be overwhelmed as you jump on board the Hawkwind Spaceship. Brock, Lemmy, Dettmar, King, Turner backed up by the bizarre space effects of Dik Mik and emblazoned over this is the most surreal poetry of Calvert. This is not music, its an adventure into pyschedelia at its highest level. The album sounds like a proto Motorhead journey into space. The Hawkwind trademark of weird spacey effects from keyboards saturate each track and all blend seamlessly into one another with poetry and spaced out wizardry transporting one into another universe.
We begin the voyage with the gatecrashing rocker 'Born To Go'. It drives relentlessly along with the trademark chug-a-chug rhythm that could only be Hawkwind - an absolute delight.

Every track is perfection on a live stage. Of note is the fabulous 'Down Through The Night' and 'Lord Of Light'. This is followed by 'Space is deep' that is saturated in space effects as is every track. It's absolutely wonderful prog rock, laden with some interesting guitars and vocals.

It gets better with the greatest Hawkwind track 'Orgone Accumulator'. It motors along its 10 minutes length and is mesmirizing with amazing riffing guitars and effects. A wall of sound without remorse. Check out those amazing lyrics sung with echoed downbeat tones by Brock:

"I've got an orgone accumulator, It makes me feel greater, I'll see you sometime later, When I'm through with my accumulator, It's no social integrator, It's a one man isolator, It's a back brain stimulator, It's a cerebral vibrator, Those energy stimulators, Just turn your eyeballs into craters, But an orgone accumulator, Is a superman creator, of Orgones!"

The iconic lyrics are backed by the relentless chunky riffs that are almost hypnotically trance like. This is a masterpiece track and quintessential Hawkwind by any standards.

'10 Seconds Of Forever ' takes us poetically down the maelstrom into 'Brainstorm' - another riff heavy rocker. Then we are inundated by the surrealism of 'Sonic Attack'. Depending on how jaded your sensibilities are will depend on how you take this weird poem, as follows:

"In case of Sonic Attack on your district, follow these rules... Use your wheels, it is what they are for, Small babies may be placed inside the special cocoons and should be left, if possible, in shelters, Do not attempt to use your own limbs If no wheels are available, metal, not organic, limbs should be employed whenever possible... Remember, in the case of Sonic Attack survival does mean every man for himself, Statistically more people survive if they think only of themselves, These are the first signs of Sonic Attack:
You will notice small objects, such as ornaments, oscillating, You will notice a vibration in your diaphragm You will hear a distant hissing in your ears, You will feel dizzy, You will feel the need to vomit, There will be bleeding from orifices, There will be an ache in the pelvic region, You may be subject to fits of hysterical shouting, or even laughter, These are all sign of imminent Sonic destruction, Your only protection is flight If you are less than ten years old remain in the shelters and use your cocoon....Do not panic.......... Do not panic..."

I rest my case. The high strangeness is a welcome effect in itself. There are other highlights, 2 versions of the classic 'Master Of The Universe' at varying lengths, and another version of 'Brainstorm' and 'Time We Left This World Today' featuring awesome bass from Lemmy showing his dexterity as a player like you have never heard.

The bonus tracks are excellent, the artwork and booklet are inspiring, and the sound quality is mind blowing. I never tire of it. Brilliant prog classic! A masterpiece in every sense of the word. This is the best thing Hawkwind have done, make no mistake. Its a live extravaganza that grips you and refuses to let go mercilessly.

Jim Garten View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin & Razor Guru

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2010 at 02:06
Space Ritual is one of those albums which to my mind truly deserves the title 'essential classic'; Hawkwind's definitive lineup in full flow, live. Don't look for crystal clear production values (the sound is distinctly muddy at times) but this album represents Hawkwind at their searing, space-rock best.

Casual fans will go straight for the obvious 'Brainstorm' or 'Master Of The Universe' & bemoan the lack of 'Silver Machine' (recorded at the same gigs), but these tracks are pushed into the background by the lesser known gems like 'Orgone Accumulator', 'Time We Left' & 'Born To Go', all bookended by Calvert's poetry.

A definite must have

Edited by Jim Garten - April 20 2010 at 02:08

Jon Lord 1941 - 2012
halabalushindigus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2010 at 03:14
ok I will order space ritual by hawkwind because

1. it seems to be getting attention
2. they have naked chicks for singers
3. calvets poetry is a must listen to (thanks to his down to earthness, get it)
and
4. i know where the title comes from, and that today is what i do

plus mr Jim upstairs^ gave it a real nice post

assume the power 1586/14.3
friso View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2010 at 03:56
I'm a vinyl collector and this specific record is so hard to get... I'd wish I'd had one...
AtomicCrimsonRush View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2010 at 05:08
Originally posted by kingfriso kingfriso wrote:

I'm a vinyl collector and this specific record is so hard to get... I'd wish I'd had one...
Don't we all!

The original Cd is a nice package with photos of the band and Stacia Big smile plus some lyrics.

now there is a new CD package i missed out on featuring a bonus disk of DVD clips - get that for sure!
Jim Garten View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin & Razor Guru

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2010 at 06:04

I only managed to get it on vinyl in about 1981/1982 when it was re-released - if you can get a copy of the original version with full fold out sleeve & artwork... well, that's worth a pretty penny

Originally posted by halabalushindigus halabalushindigus wrote:

I will order space ritual by hawkwind because... mr Jim upstairs^ gave it a real nice post

Aah - you're too kind

Jon Lord 1941 - 2012
shockedjazz View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2010 at 09:05

The Hawks are one of the most important and astuonding acts of the first seventies. The Lemmmy, Calvert, Moorcock, Turner, Del-Mar, Stacia era is fantastic. As the Owl says in his review There are live albums, and then there are live experiences captured on disc!  Much more than this there are semi magical experiencies captured alive.

This disc had such a great impact in me that i cannot help putting my own review here:

4 stars I think is logic the controversie running trough the reviews about how many stars this disc should be given. In fact what is strange is having to review this disc in prog related page. I dont think you can give any solid argument for labeling this disc as prog. The only one is that they play space-rock , and they surely do it! Rocking wild gone space rock ( but not progresive space rock , wich is not only a style inside progresive music, as this disc shows). The other one is they use electronics... and i have to admit thats the best one, but... not enough, they use the electronic tools as a disturving purely mindbending play for shocking with ultra-pitched streams and trance style, it have to do more with techno than to progesive electronics . In fact this is not progresive in the way they use the oposite tactic than the prog groups used ( as Peter Hammill tasks in a earlier review). They first time i listen it i was a bit dissapointed i thought it was a prog disc... and no way. I thought it sounds like punk... its weird. Hawkwind is heavy early punk trance space rock , they were in this time a free festival band and they did space rock just with four chords songs and as maximum just one ( or two) changes. They set on this hard rock basic rythm, and they just keep on and on. Thought is clear they are not virtuosos, Brocks guitar fits perfectly with awesome Kilminsters bass and fantastic loops and disonances of Del mar and company, incredibly pagan lisergic violin-like sounds and fantastic gone saxes.They have as Lemmy says a telepatic quality. They are the very begining of trance punk scene. As Moorcock says they were the only band of space rock with electronics that didnt quoted Stockhausen as a influence. Their thing is not high cultured. Is pure low culture without any other pretension than to make you enter as crudely as possibly in never-coming- back trip. But they did it really well. More than that genius.Even lirically were perfect , with all the moorcockian sci-fi methaphysical just punk speeches and tematic, about the endless space not good or bad not annything infinite inmensurable ( just as Moorcock did in literature, stripping psicodelia of any hope in the good tolkienesque ending and the do-the-good hippies simplicity curiously with a much simplier music). What a wild trip! It just go on and on into the dark, jet full of magic and an amazingly feeling, side of the psychedelia and of the british wonderland wich in their case is Avalon in its full paganism. Pure non technical without pretension paganism.Part of their hook is their totally imperfect punky style, it seem your hearing a local group totally gone practicing for friends (! Thanks god they were not! Their quality for my is clear) But Hawkwind travel is one for sure you have to make at least.( I think it will be amazing to hear it in a rave, with top volume, a dizzy mind and few stranged punk friends). If you like psichedelic music you will enjoy of this one at first , and then you end just loving it. I give it 4.5 stars not because it dont deserves the full five stars. Just because its not a progresive record( but for sure is an excellent addition to any prog collection).

I will add that they are legendary contraculture living statements or how they like to say: THey were the psychedelic warlords-They were not faking it!
They are the link between the mithical gnosticism of psychedelia and political straightforwardness of punk.
Just love them....i ended loving motorhead by the way.
I recommend Do Not Panic the doc about the hawks strongly.

akamaisondufromage View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2010 at 13:13

Space Ritual may or may not be prog but it really doesn't matter 'cos it's an essential purchase for anyone who likes Rock Music.  it's influence on music goes well beyond prog or space rock - (Ask John Lydon).  It is basic and complex at the same time which is why for me it hits the spot every time on so many levels.  And what a wonder it is too listen to Lemmy playing Bass, especially on my fave track Lord of Light. 

No Silver Machine here cos it was recorded after the single which wa so successful it funded the tour then they were broke ho ho.  I think they didn't play it cos they were a little embarrassed  about a 'Hit Single' oh my god! 

The fold out cover on the orig is designed by Barney Bubbles RIP a genious look him up if you don't know his work.  (I have it Tongue he he) 
Help me I'm falling!
otto pankrock View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2010 at 09:46

I picked up that album in '79 or '80. The cover folds out about three times. Too bad, I could've taken better care of the viny. Oh yeah, just to be picky, isn't it Mike Moorcock's poetry?
Mikerinos View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2010 at 11:32
Space Ritual is awesome, it's one of my favorite albums.

Gotta love the combination of deep psychedelic celestial space wonder with bursts of assaulting star energy.
A B Negative View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2010 at 07:16
Originally posted by halabalushindigus halabalushindigus wrote:

ok I will order space ritual by hawkwind because... they have naked chicks for singers

Stacia (the "naked chick" in question) was a dancer, not a singer.

Space Ritual is one of my favourite albums. Big smile
"The disgusting stink of a too-loud electric guitar.... Now, that's my idea of a good time."
thellama73 View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2010 at 07:47
I bought "Space Ritual Sundown v.2" Because the cover art was the same as "Space Ritual"and I thought it was that album. After many hours of research I still don't know what the difference is between what I got and what everyone raves about. Can someone explain this to me?

As far as the music goes, the sound quality is terrible and I haven't been able to get into the album at all. It just doesn't do it for me.
DAVE M View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2010 at 01:42
I'm sorry but this has all been superceded by the modern day Space Ritual fronted by Nik Turner -  saw them live in Wigan of all places - 2 and a half hours of sheer brilliance - an early 70s time warp. They're touring UK this year
chrisk View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2010 at 14:41
I'm lucky enough to own the fold out cover version  on vtnyl, which is fantastic, but did there was a Space Ritual volume 2 released.

It was in a black cover with a yellow Hawkwind logo and the tracks were:

Space
Orgone Accumulator
Upside Down
Sonic Attack
Time We Let This World
10 Seconds of Forever
Brainstorm
Seven By Seven
Master of the Universe
Welcome to the future

This album was also recorded live/
chrisk
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2010 at 06:25
Originally posted by DAVE M DAVE M wrote:

I'm sorry but this has all been superceded by the modern day Space Ritual fronted by Nik Turner -  saw them live in Wigan of all places - 2 and a half hours of sheer brilliance - an early 70s time warp. They're touring UK this year

I'm looking forward to seeing them supporting Gong. Big smile
"The disgusting stink of a too-loud electric guitar.... Now, that's my idea of a good time."
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2010 at 06:31
Originally posted by thellama73 thellama73 wrote:

I bought "Space Ritual Sundown v.2" Because the cover art was the same as "Space Ritual"and I thought it was that album. After many hours of research I still don't know what the difference is between what I got and what everyone raves about. Can someone explain this to me?

As far as the music goes, the sound quality is terrible and I haven't been able to get into the album at all. It just doesn't do it for me.

From Wikipedia:

This recording is part of the performance that was processed for disc 2 of Space Ritual. Here it is in its original state, with no edits or overdubs, notable differences being a different middle section to "Orgone Accumulator".

As for the recording quality, I think it's fine (but I love Earthbound by King Crimson).

mike hewetson View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2010 at 06:54
space ritual will always be the hawks" stellar moment in their history! most bands-we all agree,put out one album which stands out head and shoulders above the rest,and if you read about the times leading up to that album,you"ll realise -they were all bursting with inspiration and creativity. there is no other space/stoner rock album that beats it.
we still include sonic attack/master of the universe and psychedelic warlords in our live set (mothership oracle) and have done for quite a few years,cos hawkwind created some amazing music in the early 70"s right thru to the robert calvert years. i bought the 2007 remastered "space ritual" with dvd,which is great,only the dvd is the whole album again,but with moving images from the album cover.....worth getting all the same-if you like the early stuff.
mike hewetson
Falx View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2010 at 07:09
Space Ritual is truly awesome. I have it on both CD and 8-track cartridge! Don't have a player for that one though LOL

=F=
"You must go beyond the limit of the limit of your limits!" - Mr. Doctor
"It is our duty as men and women to proceed as though the limits of our abilities do not exist." - Pierre Teilhard de Chardin
 Post Reply Post Reply