Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedSleepy People

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sleepy People
    Posted: April 20 2010 at 14:35
Not to be confused with Sleeping People, who are already in t'archives.

I picked up this obscure British band's debut album "Blunt Nails in a Sharp Wall" for a couple of quid on eBay and was pleasantly surprised by what I discovered. It's definitely prog - unusual time signatures, keyboards, flute, odd arrangements, etc. The only question is which sub-genre's the best fit? I'm hearing shades of Tull, Gong, Cardiacs, a wee bit of Gentle Giant and even Pere Ubu (mostly in the vocals).

The album was recorded in '93/'94 when prog was about as unfashionable as it gets, and there's a melodic sensibility which counterbalances the proggy weirdness. Another band which springs to mind for some reason is Circus... something about the songs feeling like quirky, extended rock songs rather than out-and-out prog "epics", if that makes sense.

Doesn't look like there are any samples available online. Would I be breaking any rules if I upload a couple of tracks and link to them here?

Edited by Trouserpress - April 20 2010 at 14:40
harmonium.ro View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2010 at 14:54
Uploading some relevant tracks on Youtube not only that don't break any forum rule but would do the band a favour Thumbs Up
The Hemulen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2010 at 15:00
That's a point. Didn't think to upload them on Youtube. Anyway, here's a couple of tracks uploaded to my box account:

Strawberries

Rare Bird at the Window

Any thoughts on which subgenre fits best would be most welcome. These guys deserve better than to be chucked into Crossover or Prog-Related!
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2010 at 08:14
Sigh. There are three pages of everybody agreeing that Phil Collins' solo albums aren't prog, yet genuinely progressive artists like these guys get buried in the second page of threads after just two days...

Anyway, all thoughts, comments, etc. regarding Sleepy People would be most welcome.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2010 at 08:43
Originally posted by Trouserpress Trouserpress wrote:

Sigh. There are three pages of everybody agreeing that Phil Collins' solo albums aren't prog, yet genuinely progressive artists like these guys get buried in the second page of threads after just two days...

And this comes as a surprise to you? LOLTongue

Anyway, I'm listening to the sample, thanks for uploading. I think these guys are messing around and being avantgardistic inside the context of pop-rock music more than in that of prog-rock. I'll ask the ZART to evaluate this case, though. Thumbs Up Nice stuff. I love it when the vocalist sings a la Nick Cave LOL
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2010 at 08:54
Originally posted by harmonium.ro harmonium.ro wrote:

And this comes as a surprise to you? LOLTongue

Anyway, I'm listening to the sample, thanks for uploading. I think these guys are messing around and being avantgardistic inside the context of pop-rock music more than in that of prog-rock. I'll ask the ZART to evaluate this case, though. Thumbs Up Nice stuff. I love it when the vocalist sings a la Nick Cave LOL

It's not a surprise, but in many ways that just makes it all the more irritating.

You might have a point about them being a tad avant-garde, but the music's so melodic (most of the time) that I'd personally reject them for Avant-Prog.
listennow801 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2010 at 10:44

That's a point. Didn't think to upload them on Youtube. Anyway, here's a couple of tracks uploaded to my box account:

Strawberries

Rare Bird at the Window

Any thoughts on which subgenre fits best would be most welcome. These guys deserve better than to be chucked into Crossover or Prog-Related!

Well so are 801/Manzanera for instance - very progressive imo, and relegated to "Related." I've learned here, that different generations seem to [generally of course] have very diff concepts of what constitutes 'prog.' Younger folks seem to concentrate on styles/overall sound, folks who grew up when it was happening seem to consider it an attitude towards creation, both compositional and structural. Elements of style[s] that is,  w/ myriad manifestations. [And no I'm not saying right or wrong, just different.]

Just listened and i def. would not say avant. I agree w/ H. that the song structures are a bit too in a pop/rock context, which would bring it closer to certain rio, but it's too "straight" for that. I'm just not sure - maybe eclectic? I imagine this will end up in 'Related' or 'Crossover' at best though. [I really liked that 2nd track btw].

Edited by listennow801 - April 24 2010 at 10:34

Ratings of Lady Gnosis: http://www.gnosis2000.net/raterclaire.shtml
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2010 at 16:57
They make me think of Slapp Happy, who also did avantgarde in pop/"soft"-rock context (or at least that's how I remember their one album that I've once heard). That's why I first thought of Avant-prog. Crossover or Ecletic would also do fine. The second piece is indeed very proggy.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2010 at 08:20
Originally posted by listennow801 listennow801 wrote:

Well so are 801/Manzanera for instance - very progressive imo, and relegated to "Related." I've learned here, that different generations seem to [generally of course] have very diff concepts of what constitutes 'prog.' Younger folks seem to concentrate on styles/overall sound, folks who grew up when it was happening seem to consider it an attitude towards creation, both compositional and structural. Elements of style[s] that is,  w/ myriad manifestations. [And no I'm not saying right or wrong, just different.]

Just listened and i def. would not say avant. I agree w/ H. that the song structures are a bit too in a pop/rock context, which would bring it closer to certain rio, but it's too "straight" for that. I'm just not sure - maybe eclectic? I imagine this will end up in 'Related' or 'Crossover' at best though. [I really liked that 2nd track btw].

BTW II: Trouser, your avatar says you're still part of our team, why don't you ever participate anymore? Once in a while, I think we could use a voice from a different [generational] perspective other than my own.

You make some excellent points regarding how different generations are using the term "prog", but that's a debate probably worth saving for another thread. I'd say whichever way you look at Sleepy People (attitude or overall sound) there's a definite prog sensibility to their music. I too think that eclectic would be a much better fit than avant but I've yet to get a response out of the eclectic team.

Regarding my lack of activity, real life has been majorly getting in the way recently, but I shall try and put in an appearance on the team thread a little more often than I have been of late.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2010 at 08:23
Originally posted by harmonium.ro harmonium.ro wrote:

They make me think of Slapp Happy, who also did avantgarde in pop/"soft"-rock context (or at least that's how I remember their one album that I've once heard). That's why I first thought of Avant-prog. Crossover or Ecletic would also do fine. The second piece is indeed very proggy.

Isn't it just? I reckon it's an album that deserves to be heard in full, really. There's a real breadth of styles, but most songs aren't as "choppy" as Strawberries. I just uploaded that one 'cause it's my favourite.

Overall, the vibe of the album is just utterly prog. One foot in the 70's, with nods to prog-folk, space rock, symphonic, canterbury etc. and one in the (then) present, owing a little to the theatrics and quirky rock sensibilities of bands like Cardiacs. Eclectic's surely the way to go!

Edited by Trouserpress - April 23 2010 at 08:24
Epignosis View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2010 at 08:57
I'll check it out this weekend Trouserpress.  Thanks.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2010 at 16:17

I see nothing wrong with being "chucked" (I'd have rather you said "placed") in Crossover and getting in Prog Related is a tough business.  It does have avant pop qualities and I wouldn't be opposed to Crossover taking it.  Based on those, I wouldn't mind seeing it in Eclectic (but I'm not in team work currently so that's informal). The Eclectic and Crossover categories are hardly worlds apart anyway.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2010 at 08:00
Having listened to the whole album, I agree with Greg on it being a sort of Crossed-over progressive avantgarde. It would definitely be a good addition to PA. Let's see what the Eclectic team says, though.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2010 at 08:32
clarke2001 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2010 at 14:00
Added!
 Post Reply Post Reply