Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedIs 70's prog a nostalgia thing?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 91011
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2010 at 06:51
Originally posted by rogerthat rogerthat wrote:

A very good post by Dean, as usual. Wink  I think so much is mentioned in the neo prog description in this website, but anyway the roots of this style can be seen in Trick/Wind and Wuthering or Spectral Mornings, especially Everyday.  Since you mentioned Ren, neo prog tendencies can be observed in the shorter songs of SFAS and in most of Azure D'Or. In prog circles, it is called their going-pop phase but as you rightly observed, between these and Karnataka/Mostly Autumn, there's not much difference (and the mistake is usually in comparing those bands' output to the more heavily orchestrated Novella or Scheherazade).  Other than this simplification by the older prog bands, another important trend of the late 70s gives the key to the evolution of prog metal and why it is largely the most sought after prog style of the present day - the ascendancy of Rush!  This was the REAL new prog, which through Queensryche eventually led to Dream Theater and prog metal as we know it.
I think the importance of All About Eve is sadly overlooked in this area of female-fronted prog, whether that be the Prog Folk of Mostly Autumn, the Gothic Prog Folk of Bluehorses or the Gothic Prog Metal of The Gathering and  Dreams of Sanity (dare I say Nightwish?) and ultimately PM bands like Epica,and To-Mera and all the post-Mostly Autumn Crossover bands like Panic Room, The Reasoning and Breathing Space. AAE have even been playing "Prog" festivals in recent years and they didn't sound out of place.
What?
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2010 at 08:05
Again, I was just telling how I lived these years. I'm not saying that it's the absoute truth, but also now that I'm looking to Eastern Europe, I find that groups like Collegium Musicum and Phoenix are more in my pot than Riverside (even if they are a great band).

I'm not speaking of prog's history. It's just about my own feelings.
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
harmonium.ro View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2010 at 08:14
Originally posted by octopus-4 octopus-4 wrote:

I think 90125 is one of the best Yes albums even if commercial.

Finally someone speaks the truth! Clap
cannon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2010 at 01:56
Originally posted by cannon cannon wrote:

Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

The 60's and 70's were an amazing time for innovation in rock-based music (one could say the 50's too of course).  There was a spirit of experimentation and breaking genre confines that I don't think we find to the same extent, generally, today.  I feel like far too many modern bands are just emulating typical Prog-convention rather than being unconventional.  Instead of progressive music, we commonly find regression (what I call gorp) -- looking backwards rather than forwards.  And too many just incorporate classic Prog conventions with an AOR-type sound for my tastes.  A lot of it so predictable and one hears the Prog band influence on the sleeves too much.

I think there are many great bands today, but not many innovative ones (certainly not ones that achieve popularity even in prog circles).  There's a lot of prog cliche, and back in the day when Prog was being created, it wasn't yet cliché (though there were many poor imitators "even in the golden age".

I think a band like Marillion rather dumbed down Prog (I don't mean to be insulting), but it lifted Prog traits (especially from Genesis) while making music that was deliberately commercial-sounding (yes, bands such as Genesis and Yes have done it a lot too).  I don't like melodic rock (AOR) type music much, nor a lot of pop music, and I don't think it blended well or has aged as timelessly or gracefully as classic bands music from the classic period.  Rock was not progressed (expanding the possibilities of what rock music can be and freeing itself from convention) nearly so much past the golden age (oh, there are various more experimental artists/ band who have, but generally speaking).
I couldn't agree more. Marillion is a perfect example. Over produced and engineered. A lot of the neo-prog from the '80's is mainstream new wave/synth/pop/rock with a hint of Genesis.
Chris S View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2010 at 02:13
Originally posted by harmonium.ro harmonium.ro wrote:

I think 90125 is one of the best Yes albums even if commercial.

Finally someone speaks the truth! Clap
Probably their best alongside Talk since Drama
<font color=Brown>Music - The Sound Librarian

...As I venture through the slipstream, between the viaducts in your dreams...[/COLOR]
logoman View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2010 at 15:10
Let's not forget, album buying was an experience beyond the aural.The saving up of the money ( before credit cards), the excitement of the album cover and its content, the smell of the vinyl and the anticipation of the stylus dropping with a crackle and pop leading to the anticipation of the content, Nothing summed up this experience more than a prog album.
This cannot be replicated with the sterile nature of CD's,downloads and tech paraphenalia.
Prog hasn't changed, its packaging and presentation has, as a result it has lost its mystique.
WalterDigsTunes View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2010 at 15:13
^

But then, you could say that about any pre-CD era music.
logoman View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2010 at 15:26
Absolutely, Walter Digs Tunes,absolutely, but what has more mystique and fascination than Prog? Lose a portion of that and you dilute the whole experience.
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2010 at 16:34
Originally posted by logoman logoman wrote:

Absolutely, Walter Digs Tunes,absolutely, but what has more mystique and fascination than Prog? Lose a portion of that and you dilute the whole experience.

ClapClapClap
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2010 at 16:42
The whimsy of psychedelia, the down-home imagery of country, the austerity of early industrial album art... prog doesn't have a monopoly on evocative aesthetics.
logoman View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2010 at 04:53
True maybe but there are no doubt forums out there for disco, funk, pop, reggae,tamla etc etc, don't suppose they're discussing this subject from the point of view of vinyl nostalgia.
zappadaddy View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2010 at 03:13
I have not read any comments above so my judgment is not influenced by other posts.In my opinion 70's is not a nostalgia instead it is gold era of prog rock,no band of today can be compared to band like Genesis or Yes,KC and even Camel.If you know some let me know.LOLEspecialy Genesis are so great that in 100 years people might listen to them and say oh my God.It is about composing,their songs have so much ideas and depths within one song,so much melody I can't  think of one band today to even touch their greatness.Yes there are bands like Birds and Buildings,Finnistere,Phideaux,Kotebel and let'say Syzygy to mention few  skilled bands in composing but still they can't touch the best prog albums of 70's like Selling England,Close to the edge,In the court of KC,Still Life and many others. They concentrate more on plain technical playing without emotions involved in their music.70's were the greatest,70's were just horrible,90's because of Anglagard,Anekdoten were realy good and new millenium brought us so much new promises for the future.  Many today's  bands are in the Top 100 prog list just because younger listeners give more weight to modern artists but that is not justified because they are influenced by koncert activities of modern bands.I think it is impossible to beat Mozart,Beethoven for modern artists and it is the same for prog rock.I hope you understand what I am trying to say.My english does not allow me to explain better.
One more thought though there is some progression in zeuhl and RIo movement,I must admit I like some modern bands more then their Gods from 70's.But that is another subject for dicussion.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2010 at 03:16
Originally posted by logoman logoman wrote:

True maybe but there are no doubt forums out there for disco, funk, pop, reggae,tamla etc etc, don't suppose they're discussing this subject from the point of view of vinyl nostalgia.

The consummate 7" fetishists!
zappadaddy View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2010 at 03:31

Again, I was just telling how I lived these years. I'm not saying that it's the absoute truth, but also now that I'm looking to Eastern Europe, I find that groups like Collegium Musicum and Phoenix are more in my pot than Riverside (even if they are a great band).

I'm not speaking of prog's history. It's just about my own feelings.

ClapYes I am also exporing new teritories,since I am from ex Czechoslovakia I know Colegium M.,I can also recommend  Fermata,more experimantal MCH Band,Extempore,Kilhets,Svehlik(these are more in zeuhl and RIO movement) and perhaps Plastic people of the Universe & Agon Orchestra.

Ronnie Pilgrim View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2010 at 20:39
Topic: Is 70's prog a nostalgia thing?
Comment: No, it's just better. 
Rabid View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2010 at 13:04
Originally posted by A Person A Person wrote:

Originally posted by The Quiet One The Quiet One wrote:

Originally posted by The Quiet One The Quiet One wrote:

I don't care when it's made as long as I like it.

That's okay, but that's not the question. Wink

The OP is asking wheter you consider that you like and consider better the 70s bands because there's a nostalgia feel or not.

No nostalgia for me, I just like a lot of 60's/70's music more. I never think of when it was made, or who made it first, except maybe with Zeuhl.

Good, that was what you had to answer.Wink 

I was trying to imply it, but I guess typing it out is better. Tongue

Good answer !!!  LOL

"...the thing IS, to put a motor in yourself..."
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 91011