FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedR.I.P. Enrique Jardines of Absolute Zero

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Topic: R.I.P. Enrique Jardines of Absolute Zero
    Posted: April 25 2010 at 12:51
Enrique Jardines, bassist of avant-prog/Canterbury-esque band Absolute Zero has sadly passed away.

I do not know any further details.

In pace, requiescat, Enrique.

Edited by James - April 25 2010 at 12:51
Jimbo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2010 at 12:57
Sad to hear this. Absolute Zero was a great band.

R.I.P.
Bj-1 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2010 at 13:04
Im at loss for words.. first Pip, then Enrique. Awfully sad news!

He was an extraordinary bass player as well. His work with AZ was absolutely outstanding!

R.I.P. Cry

RIO/AVANT/ZEUHL - The best thing you can get with yer pants on!
EXERIOR Experimental tech/death/progmetal from Norway!
harmonium.ro View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2010 at 13:05
RIP Disapprove
VanderGraafKommandöh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2010 at 13:15
Quite so.  It's quite often the lesser-known musicians who pass on without our knowlegde, so I'd like to thank Marc Adler for posting this on Facebook.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2010 at 13:21
Very good musician; I'm sad to hear of his passing.
theultimateprogressiveartexperimentalmusicresource.org: the ultimate progressive, art, experimental music resource dot org
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2010 at 16:01
Damn. Terrible news. Great bassist, great band.

RIP
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2010 at 19:09
Further information via Michel Delville, of the Belgian Canterbury Scene band The Wrong Object:

http://united-mutations.blogspot.com/2010/04/enrique-jardines.html

danstearns View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2010 at 22:26

Yes, it is with much sadness that bassists /composer Enrique Jardines has indeed suddenly passed on due to heart complications via diabetes.

Apart from the idea that they will no longer be making music together, a life-form in its own right, the thought that this band won't be THOSE GUYS, pushing our horizons back with their sheer will (and skill) and going at it all as a truly unified whole, really takes my breath away.

And even though I've been out of contact far longer than I was ever in contact with them, my memories of these guys are perpetually frozen at their height-----at that peak i felt pinned back by my ears listening to them rehearse at level 10-plus plus in their home in Leominster, MA one summer Sunday----and i've there ever after held these guys in the highest esteem possible.

just now i tried to tell my (new) wife, who also happens to be pregnant now, how these guys sent my now 15-year-old son Bryan a pile of gifts when he was a baby (a little plush dinosaur was a favorite of his for years).

They were people, real people and good people. And overall, I'm just stunned, really. You're here today and gone tomorrow, and that's just the way it works.

Their music will live forever for sure, but so will their love and determination and the impact they've had on all the people they've directly touched, of which i'm lucky to consider myself one.

In 2006, their drummer-----the legendary Pip Pyle---suddenly and tragically died. Pip was a replacement for their (amazing) drummer Paul Roger who couldn't relocate from Massachusetts to Florida where Enrique and Aislinn had relocated to care for Enique's sick mother.

May you rest in peace Enrique, and somehow know that you lived a life well-well-well worth living and that you were a positive inspiration for many---myself included----to do better and try harder.

with much sadness,
daniel

Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2010 at 02:01
Thanks for that heartfelt reply, Daniel.  It is very much appreciated.  It makes it all the more poignant.

I managed to see Hatfield and the North before Pip Pyle's premature passing but did not unfortunately get to meet him.  I did meet Richard Sinclair and got the signature of Phil Miller.

Which takes me full circle.  I heard that Aislinn and Enrique were working on an album with Phil Miller.  I shall try and contact Aislinn sometime soon and find out what came of that collaboration.

I played Crashing Icons earlier and it was as marvellous as ever.  In fact, it was more so.

Unfortunately I have no other records with Enrique on.
Cesar Inca View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2010 at 21:58
He will be sorely missed among those who seek, value and love music that genuinely explores the experimental side of things. Like many other progressiev collectors, the ABSOLUTE ZERO album is the only item I've got where Jardines was involved in, but itsure is a hell of a musical work - intense, clever, dynamic and inventive.

THANK YOU FOR THE MUSIC, ENRIQUE!!!
bigcharles View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2010 at 18:59

I feel compelled to share as it helps to be with others who miss Enrique and it's very touching to see his work appreciated and his life acknowledged. For me what hurts is knowing he had much more to say.

Many, many years ago I rehearsed for about 6 months with Enrique and Paul Roger in that basement in Leominster (I played guitar). I couldn't keep up, wished them well, and got out of the way so they could soar. We remained friends and kept in touch over the years, and it is a statement about Enrique's presence and influence that even though we did not follow the same path he was still a musical mentor, even during years when I was more passive listener than active participant.

What strikes me most about his life is his unwavering commitment and dedication to music and to his craft. That way of living one's art has meaning. And it is a lesson to us all.

I spoke to Paul last Saturday; he was in Florida at Enrique and Aislinn's home. There will be a Facebook page, then perhaps a memorial website. Though I am not "blood" family, E considered me a good friend so even if it's not really my place to say it, I thank everyone for their appreciation and enjoyment of his music, just as we thank Enrique et al for creating it.

One last thing:  Enrique and I (Paul too) always talked about the whereabouts of our old friend and bandmate, sax player Danny Chapin, who we could never manage to stay in touch with.  It was an ongoing joke intoned with affection, for we remembered Danny fondly as a free spirit. Over the past several months Enrique and I talked about ways to track him down, and I was close to making my move when I got the news from Aislinn.

I took it as a sign, and that afternoon I made the calls, found Danny in California, and we talked for about 30 minutes. As surprised to hear from me (after 30+ years) as he was and as sad as we both were, he said it was good to hear my voice. So there you have it - in the face of sorrow a bittersweet reconnection that, although a few days too late, was my final gift to my friend.

Or perhaps it was his gift to me.

Charlie

Edited by bigcharles - April 27 2010 at 23:47
Paul&drum View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2010 at 21:16

Thanks so much to all of you for your kind words about Enrique. He was kind, had a sharp mind, and wit beyond most people. He was my close friend and musical soul mate. He was the best bass player I've ever seen or met. We were of one mind when playing together and now music will never be the same for me. Playing with Enrique and Aislinn in AZ was and always will be the greatest musical experience I've had or will have. I also recognize Keith Hedger, our close friend and my favorite trumpet player who also played in AZ, and who also deeply shares in our time of grief and loss. I hope Enrique will forgive me for not saying something funny or witty here, but it escapes me right now. Thank you Charlie and thank you Dan for your kind posts.

For those of you who understand that trying to keep history as accurate as possible is important, I will ask Dan to forgive me for correcting his post. And that was: I did manage to join Enrique and Aislinn in Florida in 1995 and I remained in the band until 1999.

So we raise our glasses to our friend Enrique and take a giant swig of reality. In memory of him... Viva la revolution. Create Mayhem!

Paul Roger

danstearns View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2010 at 11:14

Edited by danstearns - June 10 2010 at 20:14
Vagueness is at times an indication of nearness to a perfect truth - Charles Ives
http://www.myspace.com/danstearns
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2010 at 19:58
Again, thanks for the words about Enrique.  I wasn't expecting such a wonderful response to a musician who was only known by a limited amount of people (outside of the music world, that is).

It is always hard to report the death of someone who is not especially well known but well respected by a lot of people.  So to get a response from people who knew him personally, is wonderful indeed.

Paul, I would like to ask you about those two recordings Aislinn mentioned on last.fm?  Will these be released in the future?

Also, are there any other extant albums/recordings featuring Enrique?  As people have rightly said, he was a wonderful bassist and I hope his recorded legacy is not just Absolute Zero's Crashing Icons.

Enrique Jardines and Bob Stearman's death late last year, has greatly saddened me.

Edited by James - April 29 2010 at 19:58
bigtiny View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2010 at 12:34
This is Keith Hedger. I was a close friend, musical miscreant, and occasional Sancho Panza to his Don Quixote....and I miss him terribly.  It's nice to see all of the kind words on this and other forums around the world...I had no idea that Enrique and the band were so widely known.

I will always value my time and musical involvement with Rico, Paul, Aislinn and others in the AZ sphere. It was my hope that I would get a chance to make some noise with Rico again at some point, but alas, that will never be. Another reminder that life is short and important things should not be delayed.

Anyway, thanks to everyone for the kind words....Rico would have appreciated it. He also would have probably found the whole thing pretty funny....

bigtiny
bigtiny View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2010 at 12:08
One more thing....Aislinn has started a Facebook page for Enrique. So, go to facebook, search for Enrique Jardines, and send a 'friend request' to see posts and info about Enrique....

bigtiny
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2010 at 14:58
Thanks to The Hoyle for the Facebook page reminder.  Great photo of E !  Whether or not you're logged into FB, you can find the page by searching the phrase:  Enrique Jardines Memorial

Also you can try clicking through via this link:

- C
bigtiny View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2010 at 11:29
Originally posted by bigcharles bigcharles wrote:

Thanks to The Hoyle for the Facebook page reminder.  Great photo of E !  Whether or not you're logged into FB, you can find the page by searching the phrase:  Enrique Jardines Memorial

Also you can try clicking through via this link:

- C

I haven't been called that in a long time....=:-)

bigtiny
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2010 at 08:42
May 10, 2010  ·  For anyone who hasn't yet checked out the Facebook page, you should!

If you're not on FB, be assured it is worth signing up just for this. Aislinn and others have made this page a huge success, and new things are being added daily.

There are scores of amazing photos (a small example:  images of Enrique, Pip Pyle, and Phil Miller in Key West, Florida) ...although I go back to 1974 with Enrique and we kept in touch, I've learned many things I never knew about him.

The link is in the 02 May post above.

Charlie

Edited by bigcharles - May 10 2010 at 08:43
 Post Reply Post Reply