Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog News, Press Releases
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedTartar Lamb 2 - 'Kickstarter' donation offers!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tartar Lamb 2 - 'Kickstarter' donation offers!
    Posted: April 26 2010 at 21:11
Tartar Lamb, a collaboration between Toby Driver and Mia Matsumiya (both from Kayo Dot) has a semi-planned release for their next album under the Tartar Lamb. Like Maudlin Of The Well's 2009 masterpiece, Part The Second, Toby and Mia are planning for this one to be funded by the fans, for the fans - although this time the donation and reward service has been polished to make the offer much more enticing...

About this project

Tartar Lamb 2 is like the sound of a whale swallowing a comet, spouting a cloud of ice from its blowhole, and the shards raining down and slicing up your face.

This piece is a sequel of sorts to the acclaimed 2006 Tartar Lamb debut 60 Metonymies, the modern electroacoustic quartet that took the world by storm. This time around, Toby Driver has fashioned himself a modern winds epic of immense proportions that features members of Kayo Dot plus clarinet deconstructionist Jeremiah Cymerman.

The Plan:

In 2009 we were able to record and self-release maudlin of the Well - Part the Second thanks to an experimental fan-funded donation drive. We had such a positive experience with this that we've decided to try it again, this time using Kickstarter.com as a way to manage the donation process and to provide backers with some really great rewards for their support.

Our goal is to raise $6,000 dollars to cover studio costs, travel, a modestly sized vinyl pressing of the finished album, and the processing/shipping of your sweet, sweet rewards. We'll then create a Tartar Lamb 2 website similar to Part the Second where TL2 will be available to all for free streaming. We'll also use this site to sell digital downloads, LPs, t-shirts, and other TL2 related media.

Music like ours can be a tricky thing to bring to the marketplace, and a donation drive such as this is a great way to secure the level of financial backing we believe this project calls for. We're really proud of this piece and want to give it all the attention and effort it deserves! And of course, if we can't meet our goal, then it's back to the drawing board, so please give this project your thoughtful consideration! We can't make it happen without your support!

The Rewards:

One of the more exciting things about this venture is the opportunity to get some really cool things into the hands of some really cool people.

Everyone who donates will get access to a high quality digital download of Tartar Lamb 2. We'll also be producing a limited edition hand made CD-r of the album, available exclusively as a part of the donation drive. If you've been exposed to the Kayo Dot - Live in Bonn CD-r, then you know how seriously we take our CD-rs. And of course what we're really excited about is the vinyl pressing of Tartar Lamb 2. We plan on devoting a lot of time and energy into the creation of a truly beautiful and unique artifact for this. You will not be disappointed!

We're also planning a homemade DVD of the Tartar Lamb 2 recording process, featuring behind the scenes footage, live recordings, and all sorts of secrets! We're really excited about this!

There's also some great things in the works for larger donations including invitations to a VIP only NYC area release/listening party, incredible CD packages featuring TL2 collaborators, free admission to future shows, and some amazing original album artwork created by Toby Driver! See the side column for all the details! Jeremiah may even cook you a lamb dinner!

Also:

Backing this project will give you access to some really awesome backer only updates over the next few months. We plan on posting a lot of great music, art, and information about album progress. Should be cool!

(From http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/tdriver/tartar-lamb-2)

The specific tiers of donation and reward are as follows:

Pledge $7 or more
A high quality digital copy of the completed Tartar Lamb 2 record. Also: our undying appreciation and gratitude for your support of new music!

Pledge $20 or more
A CDR copy of Tartar Lamb 2 in a signed, customized sleeve. (Don't worry, it's gonna be classy, honest) A high quality digital download. TL Sticker. And your name listed on the "Thank You" section of the TL2 streaming website.

Pledge $35 or more
A signed copy of the Tartar Lamb 2 LP on delicious vinyl. The CDR copy of Tartar Lamb 2 in a signed, customized sleeve. TL Sticker. Your name listed on the "Thank You" section of the TL2 streaming website.

Pledge $50 or more
A signed copy of the Tartar Lamb 2 Vinyl LP. A stunningly beautiful and figure-enhancing Tartar Lamb t-shirt featuring art by Toby Driver. The signed TL2 CDR. TL Sticker. Your name listed on the "Thank You" section of the TL2 streaming website.

Pledge $75 or more
A signed copy of the Tartar Lamb 2 Vinyl LP. The stunningly beautiful Tartar Lamb t-shirt. A special homemade behind the scenes DVD of the TL2 recording process. The signed TL2 CDR. TL Sticker. Your name listed on the "Thank You" section of the TL2 streaming website.

Pledge $100 or more
Things are heating up. You'll get the signed copy of the Tartar Lamb 2 LP. The stunningly beautiful Tartar Lamb t-shirt. The homemade DVD. The TL2 CDR. TL Sticker. And your name listed on the "Thank You" section of the website. Then come more CDs: A copy of Tartar Lamb "60 Metonymies". Jeremiah Cymerman's 2007 release "Big Exploitation". And Tim Byrnes' underground hit "Hazel-Rah" CDR. Whoa. You'll also get a special invite to a VIP only listening party of the Tartar Lamb 2 record when it's released. It'll be somewhere in NYC. It'll be a whole lot of fun.

Pledge $250 or more
You are awesome. You're getting the signed LP. The beautiful t-shirt. The DVD. The CDR. Stickers. The works. Then EVEN MORE CDs: Tartar Lamb "60 Metonymies". Kayo Dot's "Blue Lambency Downward". Jeremiah Cymerman's "Big Exploitation". And Tim Byrnes' "Hazel-Rah" CDR. Insane. And don't forget about the VIP only listening party. You're invited too. We're also putting you on the guest list to any Tartar Lamb or Kayo Dot show of your choice, just give us a heads up. You'll also be listed in a "Special Thanks" section on all physical copies of Tartar Lamb 2 in addition to the streaming site.

Pledge $500 or more
Incredible. The signed LP. T-shirt. DVD. CDR. Stickers. You'll even be listed in a "Special Thanks" section on all physical copies of Tartar Lamb 2 as well as on the streaming site. We're going to send you a ton of CDs: Tartar Lamb "60 Metonymies". Kayo Dot's "Blue Lambency Downward" & "Choirs of the Eye". Jeremiah Cymerman's "Big Exploitation" & "In Memory of the Labyrinth System". Tim Byrnes' "Hazel-Rah" CDR & The Friendly Bears' classic "On Oceans, Light, and Sleep". A million dollar value. You're coming to the VIP listening party. And you're on the guest list to the show of your choice. Seriously. Also: and this is huge, you're going to get a piece of original Toby Driver artwork used in the TL2 LP.

Pledge $1,000 or more
You're getting everything we can possibly give you. The signed LP. T-shirt. DVD. CDR. Stickers. You'll be credited prominently as a "Patron" on all physical copies of Tartar Lamb 2 as well as on the streaming site. We're going to send you a copy of pretty much every CD any of us has ever been a part of. You're a guest of honor to the VIP listening party in NY. You've got a "golden ticket" to any show that any of us will ever be a part of for the rest of time. You're also getting your choice of original album artwork. And if you can make it to NYC, Jeremiah will make us all a delicious dinner of "roasted lamb shoulder rubbed with rosemary, garlic & anchovies in a fig reduction and root vegetable puree." Seriously, let's hang.

Pledge $1,000 or more
SOLD OUT

You're getting everything listed above at the $1000 level, with the added knowledge that you are the one getting the original Tartar Lamb 2 LP cover artwork. There can be only one!

As Toby said, if the goal isn't met, the project won't be released, so go forth and donate!

-Joel

Forgot to mention, here's the link to donate:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/tdriver/tartar-lamb-2

Its worth pointing out that you will not be charged immediately, you will only be charged, and on the set date, if the asked amount is met.

GOAL REACHED, WITH:

$6,916  from 116 Backers

Edited by progkidjoel - July 28 2010 at 05:36
Henry Plainview View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2010 at 00:28
I'll kick in $7, I don't care enough about the signed CDR to spend $20 on a CD that based on the sample I will probably only find pretty good--and I've sort of committed myself to not buying CDRs. You'd think that with pre-donations they could spring for real CDs (even the Peter Brotzmann tour only self-released album I got was a real CD, but that was also limited to 525 copies), but maybe that's too ambitious and they're afraid of the whole thing failing if they tried that. But good lord, Kickstarter and Amazon could not make the process of signing up any more annoying. I prefer Amazon over Paypal, but Paypal has never errored out on me so many times!

Edited by Henry Plainview - April 27 2010 at 00:34
if you own a sodastream i hate you
Any Colour You Like View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2010 at 00:42
I'm very tempted to kick in $20, so I probably will.
sleeper View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2010 at 13:04
Originally posted by Henry Plainview Henry Plainview wrote:

I'll kick in $7, I don't care enough about the signed CDR to spend $20 on a CD that based on the sample I will probably only find pretty good--and I've sort of committed myself to not buying CDRs. You'd think that with pre-donations they could spring for real CDs (even the Peter Brotzmann tour only self-released album I got was a real CD, but that was also limited to 525 copies), but maybe that's too ambitious and they're afraid of the whole thing failing if they tried that. But good lord, Kickstarter and Amazon could not make the process of signing up any more annoying. I prefer Amazon over Paypal, but Paypal has never errored out on me so many times!

Due to set up costs, pressing plants wont do glass-pressed CD's unless they have a minimum run of 500 (some plants set the minimum at 1000) so they will burn CDr's instead.

Will donate for this, Movement 2 on the KD CDr was brilliant.
Spending more than I should on Prog since 2005

progkidjoel View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2010 at 20:36
Originally posted by sleeper sleeper wrote:

Due to set up costs, pressing plants wont do glass-pressed CD's unless they have a minimum run of 500 (some plants set the minimum at 1000) so they will burn CDr's instead.

Kayo Dot make beautiful CDr's as well, the live bonus with the Coyote preorder was packaged more nicely than albums I've payed 20 dollars for.
Pekka View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2010 at 05:39
Donated Thumbs Up
harmonium.ro View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2010 at 06:20
Now, when I get my hands on 20 or 35 dollars...
sleeper View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2010 at 06:28
Originally posted by progkidjoel progkidjoel wrote:

Kayo Dot make beautiful CDr's as well, the live bonus with the Coyote preorder was packaged more nicely than albums I've payed 20 dollars for.
Mine wasnt, it came in a blank carbored sleeve with #078 written on it and a red slip over it with the track list, musician names and were an when it was recorded. Not that I was at all bothered about that, its the disc I want, not the packaging.
Spending more than I should on Prog since 2005

Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2010 at 06:41

Originally posted by progkidjoel progkidjoel wrote:

Due to set up costs, pressing plants wont do glass-pressed CD's unless they have a minimum run of 500 (some plants set the minimum at 1000) so they will burn CDr's instead. Will donate for this, Movement 2 on the KD CDr was brilliant.

Mine wasnt, it came in a blank carbored sleeve with #078 written on it and a red slip over it with the track list, musician names and were an when it was recorded. Not that I was at all bothered about that, its the disc I want, not the packaging.

So did I, but it looks very nice considering it was free. Even bands like Porcupine Tree who have a considerable bigger budget usually just ship CDr's in a clear, unmarked sleeve.

Edited by progkidjoel - April 28 2010 at 06:41
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2010 at 03:21
Halfway up now! I'll be doing a live count in the OP as well.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2010 at 00:48

I know, but a 500 CD initial run is not exactly exhorbitant when you're getting paid in advance and you have at least some name recognition like Toby does. With the response for Part the Second, I think they could easily pull off 7 or 8 thousand in order to pay to hold on to some extra copies that don't sell right away, they've already pulled in half their goal, but if they don't want to to that it's not my problem, I'm happy with an MP3. However, that would also require giving more money to Kickstarter, so maybe they're planning on a real CD release later and the handmade CDRs are an artifact for the fans. Also, you can get CDs pressed online with only 300 copies, but that might be a ripoff in terms of price per CD.

PT ships blank CDRs because Steven is on a major label, he can afford not caring. ;-)

Edited by Henry Plainview - May 05 2010 at 01:03
Anderson III View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2010 at 23:20
When I have the energy for it, I'll donate 110 dollars...
"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and cannot remain silent" - Victor Hugo
Anderson III View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2010 at 23:21
Originally posted by Pekka Pekka wrote:

Donated Thumbs Up

Loistavaa!

Onko soveliasta udella paljolla osallistuit?
"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and cannot remain silent" - Victor Hugo
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2010 at 00:06
They've gotten less than $200 in the past 10 days, I'm not sure they're going to make it...
Pekka View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2010 at 02:32
Originally posted by Anderson III Anderson III wrote:

Originally posted by Pekka Pekka wrote:

Donated Thumbs Up

Loistavaa!

Onko soveliasta udella paljolla osallistuit?
Oh yes, 50 bucks and Saija gave another 75 Smile
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2010 at 06:16
Just donated $100

Edited by progkidjoel - May 24 2010 at 06:19
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2010 at 03:28
Wow, they're got a lot more over the past few weeks. Looks like they might make it after all
Dologan View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2010 at 07:56
The are very close now, but have a bit more than 300 bucks to go in a bit more than a week.

Please consider donating if you haven't already or at least spread the word to those who might be willing to!
harmonium.ro View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2010 at 08:03
I would have loved to contribute, but the recent unfortunate events I've been through make it impossible for me Ouch
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2010 at 05:42
I'm so tempted to toss in another 20$ to help them on the way, have no money left though

Another 200$ posted since I last edited the OP, and now finally up to 100 backers.

So close!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>