Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Blogs
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedRock & Roll is to Jazz as Punk is to Prog...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2010 at 10:24
Personally I don't think there really is much overlap between Jazz and progressive rock. for example Bill Bruford he plays rock, adds a lot of jazz stuff in it and we call it progressive rock, while IMO it's either jazz with rocking aspects, or very jazzed up rock.

I'm even starting to think progressive rock doesn't excist and it's just  a name to include all things that are neither pop, nor classical, nor jazz, nor folk, but just the merging of two or more styles with rock without getting near the true sophistication of great Jazz Folk Classical or whatever styles there are.
Maybe progressive rock is just the stupid little brother of real music genre's and Punk is obviously the smarter younger brother exposing the emptines of the fundaments of progrock.

The difference with the relation rock and Roll to Jazz and punk to Progressive Rock is that rock and roll and rock ultimatly improved Jazz, widener it's scope and making it more accesible while Punk basically never did anything than to smuther the potential without itself offering an alternative.

Edited by tuxon - May 29 2010 at 19:27
I'm always almost unlucky _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ Id5ZcnjXSZaSMFMC Id5LM2q2jfqz3YxT
uduwudu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2010 at 01:22
I once knew a fusion fan who caould barely tolerate the idea of me listening to Rush. The odd thing is that I too enjoy Mclaughlin and all the fusion greats as well as the prog side of rock. perhaps it has something to do with a person's perception of themselves. After all what was classical music's classical music in the 1790s? Something from a hundred years before like Bach or 200 years such as Palestrina? Jazz had it's roots, the thing is that prog rock shows it's roots by being rock . Sometimes less so such as the latest Univers Zero album.

But jazz is based on a chord progression which is often harmonically altered wheres rock usually doesn't; it becomes progressive when the sophistication comes in. Also jazz is a bit of a cultural oddity as much of it (certain 67 Coltrane albums excepted) is a very happy music through much of it's mutations. Ok Miles played in minor keys and used a very unique sound. But rock and even prog succeeeds artistically when it is aggressive, minor key and most likely is about something. Yes are of course a bit different as a) no one knows what Jon was on about and they played very happy bright music.

Rock and roll at it's most basic rebelled against the established contempoarary music that was jazz. Then they fused. They coexist. Various audience factions eulogise one over the other completely missing out on the benefits with their snobbery.

Much of this snobbery exists with punk whose participanst tried to humiliate pog fans and musicians for being into complex music. Prog and punk cannot really fuse.

e.g. "Dawn of light lies... it's a facist regime!!!!" So, perhaps not.

Still, punk did have it's own art form for a time; the new wave which allowed growth e,g, The Cure, Magazine and that band that came out of Joy Division, New Order.

Music has to evolve to survive which is pretty much why punk is dead stodge and the rest of us have Porcupine Tree et al. Punk died, progressive rock lived albeit via life support (pop / AOR) for a while. Rock and roll lives, jazz lives, prog rock lives. All is well.
Rabid View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2010 at 16:57
Seems like most people are overlooking the 'technology' aspect.....as new technology becomes available, musical styles change....eg: a Fender Rhodes with an Echoplex isnt a Grand Piano. I'd say the synthesizer has done more to change the face of music than ANY other instrument.....if it'd been around 40 years previously, we probably would'nt have had 'Rock & Roll' at all.

I got into jazz at the same time as prog, tho....but then, there was a bigger 'back-catalog' to choose from.

Ying Yang
"...the thing IS, to put a motor in yourself..."
wbiphoto View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2010 at 15:34
Your points are well-made and they are logical.

Rock n' Roll was somewhat in protest of the stale jazz scene of the 30s and 40s. I say "somewhat" because it was much more than protest music. It was danceable and upbeat and loud and it drove kids to dance halls and it created an economy for the dance hall scene. Yes, don't discount the economic factor.

Punk was certainly a protest music and it too was "danceable and upbeat and loud and it drove kids to dance halls[clubs]" and it MOST CERTAINLY created a new economy for fashion outlets and club owners.

On the other hand, I don't think that either jazz or prog has to come before the other. In my case, prog, more specifically ELP, opened the door to jazz fusion. Not the other way around. However, I find that there are more people like me than those who came to prog from jazz or fusion. From my experience, hardcore jazzers are an elitist bunch. I have friends who ONLY listen to jazz and would not dare spin a prog record. They don't take prog very seriously.

Part of the problem is that jazzers like their music without voice and lyrics and typically prog is filled, and sometimes littered, with those two elements and to make the move from jazz to prog is very difficult for some.

In my case, I can listen to jazz, fusion, prog or classical quite interchangeably and often do!

One more point that I COMPLETELY agree with is the advent of the electronic keyboard. If it'd had been invented a lot sooner perhaps we wouldn't have had so much rock n' roll, but more adventurous music forms,  Perhaps an earlier from of symphonic jazz-prog....or something like that!

Good thread!
progpositivity View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2010 at 14:46
Thanks for all the perspectives shared so far! 

While I can see how one might think that it would be impossible for punk to contribute to positive changes within rock and prog, I'd like to suggest that punk did - indeed - influence mainstream rock and prog rock - and not always for the worse...  First, it did so indirectly, through changing the landscape of popular rock.  Later, it went on to influence prog more directly, through birthing a new breed of progressive rockers - ones who rose up independently from alt-punk backgrounds to build what we now call "Math Rock".

While I whole-heartedly agree that punk's long term survival was doomed from the very start by their ill-advised philosophical devotion to anarchy, even so, punk leveled the playing field, shook up the increasingly conformist and comfortable "AOR" world, and paved the way for the "new wave" movement which birthed any number of creative bands which went on to cross pollinate with rock music.  

Sure, punk did it all in a rather arrogant, annoying, sometimes infuriating fashion...  I was really put out with punk when it came out.  But certainly enough time has passed for us to see that a few good things sprang forth from the rubble, no?  The Talking Heads (with their quirky minimalism), The Police (with their fusions of rock and reggae rhythms), Elvis Costello (with his catchy pithy tunes), XTC (with their sometimes lush instrumentation and harmonies), Gary Numan (with his techno-android symphonics), even The Buggles (with their Man in a White Car!).  The list goes on and on...

A second way in which punk influenced prog more directly is through the emergence of Math Rock.  Math Rockers retain much of the raw energy and sparse arrangements of punk.  It is a fascinating fusion of punk and prog - one that I had not anticipated at all.  I would not have expected it to work - but it does!   It works IMO because Math Rockers totally reject both punk's commitment to incompetent musicianship and its ambivalence toward musical structure.

Edited by progpositivity - October 13 2010 at 14:57
Positively the best Prog and Fusion 24/7!
http://www.progpositivity.com
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2010 at 16:10
Not all, but certainly a good number of progrockers are somewhat self-taught musicians and songwriters who just happen to have more than 4 chords, 5 basic instruments, and/or 3 basic rhythms bouncing around in their heads. 

There is a subset of jazz, however, which is taught in formal settings and which can almost become obsessive about virtuosity, grading performances like gymnasts at the Olympic games (9.2, 9.7, 8.2).  Piano (classical) music competitions go in this direction as well.  Editorially, I'll say that as much as I value viruosity (and I really do!) I still think one can lose touch with the emotional, expressive artistic elements of music in such a context. 

Personal feelings aside, however, it makes perfect sense to me that of the particular subset of jazz fans who are very focused upon wanting musicianship "par excellence" or sophisticated chord structures, most would not be very patient with self taught prog artists. 

There are, however, subsets of jazz which are more focused upon crafting an individual style or approach to playing an instrument, or upon the feelings conveyed through solo performances on an instrument, or upon unique ensemble creations through synergistic improvisational performances.

In my personal experience, most of the jazzers I run into are of the latter persuasions and are rather open-minded to progressive rock (and other genres).  So I think a lot of it varies based upon the experience and the personality of the jazz fan.
40footwolf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2010 at 17:50
Because God knows no rock and roll took influence from jazz and no jazz took influence from rock and roll. Miles Davis' career from 1969 to 1992 is a total urban legend. 

:|

I hate these "us vs them" columns. Just enjoy the music you listen to and don't get a superiority complex about it. 
Heaven's made a cesspool of us all.
The_Jester View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2010 at 19:23
I think that Prog Music is a bit of an artistic music wich is free from influences and instrument choice. It's got nothing to do with Jazz or Rock'n Roll but is just what the artist wanted to do as long as it gots complex melodies or complex rythmics and some influences from any kind of music.
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2010 at 13:46
< no rock and roll took influence from jazz and no jazz took influence from rock and roll. Miles Davis' career from 1969 to 1992 is a total urban legend>

And let's not neglect to mention early fusioneers Larry Coryell, Tony Williams and Frank Zappa!  Smile

Some replies to the blog have taken an "us" versus "them" attitude about prog and jazz but that never was my intention.  Neither was it my intention to imply that rock and jazz haven't cross-pollinated over the years.  

It is, however, helpful to remember that when rock and roll was first born in the 50's, it clearly conquered much of the money, time and attention previously allocated to jazz music.  As a natural result, there was some very real clamor, alarm, and even resentment from the "old guard" of jazz.  To think otherwise is a bit naive IMO.  A little research will reveal how very palpable the tension was in those early years of rock and roll.

OK - big deal.  We are "over it" now.  So why does that initial antagonism even matter today?

Because, once we realize that our own cherished rock music scene once was a recklessly minimalist newcomer playing the role of taking the hot air out of artistic and pretentious jazzers, I think it actually becomes much easier to forgive punk for its youthful recklessness.   It enables us to see a "bigger picture" in which punk, despite its anti-prog antagonism, actually contributed to the creation of new permutations of creative proggie music that we enjoy today.

It also helps us relate to jazzers a little more in that we aren't the only genre that has suffered a temporary "black eye" at the hands of an upstart newcomer.  Perhaps us proggers wear our feelings on our sleeve a little bit much when it comes to punk.  Punk didn't kill prog any more than rock and roll killed jazz.
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2010 at 21:56
Originally posted by progpositivity progpositivity wrote:

Because, once we realize that our own cherished rock music scene once was a recklessly minimalist newcomer playing the role of taking the hot air out of artistic and pretentious jazzers, I think it actually becomes much easier to forgive punk for its youthful recklessness. 
e than rock and roll killed jazz.

Good point, because I don't particularly cherish it, so to speak.  I find basic rock and roll music boring in the extreme and cannot see why rock listeners are all alike obliged to worship it.  I like the talented songwriters that rock produced, as with bands like Beatles or The Who.  I am not obliged to like derivative, regurgitated music that rides on "rock and roll appeal" to mask the lack of songwriting brilliance and find the whole business of rock and roll "showing up" the artsiness of jazzmen amusing, to say the least.  Yeah, right, so a vibrant, creative form of music is too artsy for lots of people?  Lord help music! Wink  This is all a general rant, by the by, not directed at you. 

By the way, I don't really believe in the idea of one genre killing another but find this complex = soulless and simple = earthy posturing ridiculous and absurd. That's just not how it works, music is at its when there's balance so ideally there should be a balance between complexity and soul or between simplicity and brilliance. 
40footwolf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2010 at 22:01
...I'm very confused as to the thesis of your argument, OP. 
Heaven's made a cesspool of us all.
himtroy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2010 at 15:50
I agree.  And also my tastes agree.  On a daily basis I'd say I drift through all kinds of prog and psych rock, as well as jazz, and ambient music.  I see little to no value in generic rock music.  It's just so dumbed down and repetitive.  If I'm taking that route I'll put on blues music, where at least the energy put forth is dominant.  
Which of you to gain me, tell, will risk uncertain pains of hell?
I will not forgive you if you will not take the chance.
DisgruntledPorcupine View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2010 at 16:00
When I read the title I thought this would be absurd, but it got me thinking...
Conor Fynes View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2010 at 17:47
I wonder where this leaves jazz fusion..
uduwudu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2010 at 00:46
Jazz fusion is a genre of jazz. It acquired certain rock values (it's fascinating I find to think of McLaughlin also as a rock guitarist and also a jazz one, intense and sophisticated.) Once jazz fused with rock it did not take too long for some rock groups to use jazz chords - Black Sabbath are an interesting one. I tell you if you ever hear their first officially unreleased EP - Iommi riffs and trumpets...It's not bad but someone decided it was probably best not to do that.... Things moved on from that but fusion in rock terms I always viewed as America's art rock, as much as symphonic rock is English art rock when it is rock music. When it's jazz it's still America's art music. Sort of straddles both areas. Of course Canterbury music sucjh as the Soft Machine is a jazz based progressive scene so it's not cut and dried as such, I mean just in general terms.

Then there is Zappa. (That guy is genre all on his own...)
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2010 at 12:52
<Good point, because I don't particularly cherish it, so to speak.  I find basic rock and roll music boring in the extreme and cannot see why rock listeners are all alike obliged to worship it.>

I tend to agree.  I was using the royal "we" - to describe the mindset that many prog rockers tend to have by "default". 

Your position demonstrates that you, as a prog listener, *now* have more in common with jazz listeners than with "basic rock and roll" listeners - which is one of the original points of my post. 

I'm not saying that all - or even most - prog fans *like* or *enjoy* jazz.  It is just a conceptual comparison.  (Although I do like jazz myself... especially of the Fusion variety).

<This is all a general rant, by the by, not directed at you. >

On the contrary, I've enjoyed the perspectives shared here.  Especially the ones like yours with which I tend to agree!  ;-)

But seriously, I've enjoyed seeing the variety of responses.
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2010 at 04:32

Your position demonstrates that you, as a prog listener, *now* have more in common with jazz listeners than with "basic rock and roll" listeners - which is one of the original points of my post. 

Yes, agreed. I just want to clarify this somewhat to say that in jazz, the emphasis is on improvisation, whereas I am also interested in composition so prog rock sort of marries the two and its best is very compelling for me. 
sararocksprog View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2010 at 01:30

So - go ahead and die "rock and roll".  You had a good life! 

Great post... but I can't support your last statement.  I Love Rock 'n Roll!!  Rock ~n~ Roll never dies!! Beer
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12