Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedBest side-long epic

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Poll Question: Which of these do you consider the best side-long epic..
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
11 [9.17%]
36 [30.00%]
12 [10.00%]
31 [25.83%]
3 [2.50%]
14 [11.67%]
2 [1.67%]
1 [0.83%]
1 [0.83%]
1 [0.83%]
2 [1.67%]
0 [0.00%]
2 [1.67%]
1 [0.83%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [0.83%]
1 [0.83%]
1 [0.83%]
0 [0.00%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Best side-long epic
    Posted: May 01 2010 at 07:42
.. from the classic era (69-75)

* exeption: foxtrot's side two begins with hackett's short (less than two minutes) and anonymous guitar piece 'horizons'. It would be a shame to exclude supper's ready based on that reason. Supper's ready is prog at its proggiest, and more than twenty minutes long.
** just think of the side that you like the best. 
*** another exeption: Side one of in praise of learning begins with the less anonymous piece 'war'. LitHotB is seventeen minutes long, perhaps not even canterbury, but one of the best tunes ever and thus a worthy competitor. - And I couldn't think of fifth canterbury side-long epic (I would like not to list one band twice, thus no more soft machine (ie. the rest of third, and the two sides of volume two))  

There may be other exeptions of the sort * & *** that I was not aware of while making the list - please do inform me. 

The categories are:
     1-5 - "popular british prog"
   6-10 - prog-folk
11-15 - canterbury
16-20 - kraut
The idea is that you just choose one. If you wish you can write down your thoughts:

Here is what I think: 
I like most of the tracks in the first category, exept tarkus. I just don't listen to them much anymore. I go with plague of lighthouse keepers. (I considered including pink floyd's echoes or atom heart mother, but for me, pf will never be prog as such) 

In the second category, it's amaryllis - without a doubt. Folk, generally, is not suited for side-long epics. Pentangle are good, very good, but jack orion is too long - and what's with the electric guitar, bert? Song of sheherazade is just horrible (symphonic grandeur folk? - what's with that?). Fantasia lindum is not amazing blondel's best lp (that's evensong - by far). Amaryllis (the track, not the lp) is a stylish and perfect combination of prog and folk elements. Pentangle and amazing blondel are more straight folk (pentangle tend to go jazz sometimes though...) than prog or prog-folk. Jehtro tull are respectlessly awful at combining elements of rock, blues, prog and folk - they have made some okay tunes, but as a whole... don't like! 

Canterbury is probably my favorite subgenre. Nine feet underground is very representantive of the genre and one hell of a tune. Long piece no.3 is quite boring. I adore mumps and out-bloody-rageous, but not as much as nine feet underground. Living in the heart of the beast is probably my all-time favourite song - though not very representative. Nine feet undergroud it is.

Autobahn is of great historical importance. But ash ra tempel and kluster are more 'stoned' and 'out there' and thus for me much more interesting. Klopfzeichen part one, with the haunting german religious/politicial voice over, is almost a religious experience - and the sounds moebius and roedelius make are quite remarkable for its time. Headphones, open skies and pot are required. Amboss (combined with traummaschine of side two) is also one hell of a trip!! So is phallus dei! Phaedra is just boring. Hard to choose, but klopfzeichen it is. 

Just pick one I said. Okay, that's amaryllis then - for now. Tarkus is by far the worst - a very painful experience for my ears and brain.  

bsms810 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2010 at 07:54
why break a habit.... Suppers ready
'when was the last time you had a girlfriend?'
'I dont look at it as when, I look at it as who...and why' - David Brent
otto pankrock View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2010 at 08:37
Lizard...today.
Zombywoof View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2010 at 08:51
1st vote for TAAB, with Lizard and Lighthouse Keepers not far behind.
Continue the prog discussion here: http://zombyprog.proboards.com/index.cgi ...
Johnnytuba View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2010 at 09:08
I love Close to the Edge, but Plague of Lighthouse keepers has more to offer.
"The things that we're concealing, will never let us grow.
Time will do its healing, you've got to let it go.
Bonnek View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2010 at 09:21

Plague this time
Silverbeard McStarr View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2010 at 09:38
Phaedra looked so lonely down there.
friso View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2010 at 10:10
From this list VdGG. If Soft Machine's Moon in June would have been included it would have been a close one.
friso View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2010 at 10:12
By the way, why not include Jan Dukes' Sun Symphonic in your list of prog folk? It's better then the albums mentioned.
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2010 at 10:30
Originally posted by kingfriso kingfriso wrote:

By the way, why not include Jan Dukes' Sun Symphonic in your list of prog folk? It's better then the albums mentioned.

I would not say that it is better, but it would be a good addition indeed.

I give my vote to another Prog Folk track: Jack Orion, because it will be underrated in this list.
seventhsojourn View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2010 at 10:37
Out in the garden, the moon seems very bright. 
idiotPrayer View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2010 at 10:45
very easy - any track from zeit, their best album and quite possibly one of the best 70s albums (besides all pf albums, black sabbath and neu! - s/t). echoes as the 2nd
SaltyJon View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2010 at 12:13
I was torn between Amboss and Mumps, went with Mumps today. 
Paravion View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2010 at 12:56
Originally posted by idiotPrayer idiotPrayer wrote:

very easy - any track from zeit, their best album and quite possibly one of the best 70s albums (besides all pf albums, black sabbath and neu! - s/t). echoes as the 2nd
Tangerine dream's best album is by far their first - electronic meditation. K(c)luster seems to be working very much in the same domain as TD, but far better.  I would have loved to have remembered to include popol vuh's affenstunde or perhaps einsjäger und siebenjäger as well. And even worse - I forgot faust's miss fortune.

Originally posted by kingfriso kingfriso wrote:

I don't know it. I'll look into it someday. The title is a bit off-putting, I must admit - what is it? But  you're right - I've not mentioned the best albums. As far as progressive/psychedelic/acid folk goes, here's a quick top ten.

clive's original band - spirit of love (1971)
simon finn - pass the distance (1970)
comus - first utterance (1971)
trader horne - morning way (1970)
isb - hangman's beautiful daughter (1968)
bread love and dreams - amaryllis (1971)
panama limited jug band - s/t (1969)
famous jug band - sunshine possibilities (1969)
dr. strangely strange - kip of the serenes (1969)
forest - s/t (1969)  

Edited by Paravion - May 01 2010 at 13:00
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2010 at 13:29
Originally posted by Paravion Paravion wrote:

(I considered including pink floyd's echoes or atom heart mother, but for me, pf will never be prog as such) 

ShockedShockedShockedShockedShocked
Isn't strange when one single sentence can discredit  the author of a thread despite anotherwise excellent idea......Confused

Such comments (even if you think it), would best be kept to yourself.... FLOYD is prog, whether you like it or notTongue and no matter how restrictive you are (and your list indicates you're not too restrictiveSmile) ..... but if you don't believe me, check our databaseWink

I went for Caravan's 9th Ft, but I would have chosern Echoes over it. (yes, even over TAAB)

let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword
thellama73 View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2010 at 13:37
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

(I considered including pink floyd's echoes or atom heart mother, but for me, pf will never be prog as such) 

Isn't strange when one single sentence can discredit  the author of a thread despite anotherwise excellent idea......Confused

Such comments (even if you think it), would best be kept to yourself.... FLOYD is prog, whether you like it or notTongue and no matter how restrictive you are (and your list indicates you're not too restrictiveSmile) ..... but if you don't believe me, check our databaseWink

That seems a little extreme. Just because you don't agree with his opinion, there's no reason to browbeat him over it and suggest that he shouldn't express it. I myself don't think of Pink Floyd as prog in the same way that Genesis and Yes are (although they are undeniably progressive.) This is a discussion forum and telling another member that they had best keep their opinions to themselves is unhelpful to any discussion.

p.s. I am in a Krautrocky mood, so I will vote for Amboss, especially since there is no Rush option.

Edited by thellama73 - May 01 2010 at 13:39
Paravion View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2010 at 13:46

I went for Caravan's 9th Ft, but I would have chosern Echoes over it. (yes, even over TAAB)

I like pink floyd (to some extend, 67-71) and I honestly don't see why my comment is discrediting me. The comment just serves as an explanation as to why I excluded PF. To discuss whether PF is prog or not (or any other band for that sake) is basically meaningless. In many ways PF are prog and in many ways they are not. But I normally tend not to classify them as prog - I have forgotten why. In the music enthusiast/record collector environment in Denmark prog is a particularily bad label, so really I'm giving pf credit by not labeling them as prog.

Edited by Paravion - May 01 2010 at 13:53
b_olariu View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2010 at 14:03
Renaissance for me, followed by Tarkus
idiotPrayer View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2010 at 14:08

floyd may not be techincally challening (not in hard to play stuff but more in layering and composition) music or pretentious stuff but they remain as one of the most ambituous, fresh, creative and experimental bands of all time. after all that's what makes a prog band, not overlong "look-what-i-can-do" sections.
Nipsey88 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2010 at 14:46
Well, I gotta say my favorite side long tunes from that era aren't on the list...Echoes and Gates of Delirium.

From this list, however, I went with Supper's...with Nine Feet and TAAB close behind.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>