FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWhat does AOR mean? - "album oriented rock?"

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: What does AOR mean? - "album oriented rock?"
    Posted: May 01 2010 at 13:36
On wikipedia it says AOR is a radio format while here it is treated as a description of a genre- Boston, Saga, Toto, Asia, etc.

What am I missing?

Sorry for briefness I have to go to WORK right now and THAT STINKS.

See you in 6 hours.... Dead

edit: one last thing: more examples I think I've seen the reference; styx, Jefferson Starship, starship... etc.

Edited by RoyFairbank - May 01 2010 at 13:37
thellama73 View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2010 at 13:41
I am confused by this as well, since the term "album oriented rock" makes me think of bands like Pink Floyd who focused on the album as a whole rather than radio singles.Yet the term AOR is almost always used in conjunction with rather bland seventies rock bands, leaving out the definitive concept albums (isn't a concept album the ultimate example of album oriented rock?)
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2010 at 13:57
In the USA it meant Album Oriented Rock radio or Album Oriented Radio (since we didn't have FM-type radio stations in the UK it was usually taken as meaning Adult Oriented Rock here - implying that adults bought albums and kids bought singles).

Obviously any band that got played on AOR radio would be an AOR band.

(In Xover) We don't view it as description of a genre but as a style of mainstream music that would be better described as melodic rock as typified by the bands you listed. The diversity of bands and styles within AOR is too wide to be thought of as a genre as such.
What?
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2010 at 14:16
My experience has been that it was radio stations that didn't exclusively play hit singles.
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2010 at 15:08

AOR originally means Album Oriented Radio, and it's the name that early FM used to describe their approach, due to the fact that they had little propaganda, they were able to broadcast complete albums and songs that exceed the time parameters of 2.30 - 3:00 minutes of AM radio.

Later the bands that oriented their musical direction towards complete albums instead of the search of the hit single, were called Album Oriented Rock, because this was the music that AORadio played....As a fact, Progressive Rock is the most clear example of real Album Oriented Rock, being that they defied the hit single format.

In the late 70's the name became derogatory and was used to describe a group of extremely popular  USA bands (mainly) that used the album format but were a hybrid between Pop, Rock and Prog, being Boston the most representative band,

In that point the term changed to ADULT Oriented Rock, because this music was listened by Young adults (22 - 30) in opposition to Disco and Punk that was listened by teens mostly...Then this term changed to Adult Contemporary and AOR became almost a genre to define bands as STYX, Boston, Toto, etc.

Iván

Edited by Ivan_Melgar_M - May 01 2010 at 15:13

The Runaway View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2010 at 16:17
I always thought it meant Adult-Oriented Rock, and the bands were Styx and REO Speedwagon... Confused
Trendsetter win!

The search for nonexistent perfection.
Queen By-Tor View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2010 at 17:04
Originally posted by Blowin Free Blowin Free wrote:

I always thought it meant Adult-Oriented Rock, and the bands were Styx and REO Speedwagon... Confused

THIS!!!

Come on people... if it meant album-oriented-rock then it would mean this entire website, and I would wonder where all the AOR hating came from.

Adult-Oriented-Rock. Inoffensive, Radio friendly, melody heavy music.

Eagles
Boston
Styx
Michael Kiske

and so on.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2010 at 17:16
Originally posted by King By-Tor King By-Tor wrote:

Originally posted by Blowin Free Blowin Free wrote:

THIS!!!

Come on people... if it meant album-oriented-rock then it would mean this entire website, and I would wonder where all the AOR hating came from.

Adult-Oriented-Rock. Inoffensive, Radio friendly, melody heavy music.

Eagles
Boston
Styx
Michael Kiske

and so on.

Like it or not, it means ALBUM ORIENTED RADIO ans ALBUM ORIENTED ROCK

AOR arose in the early 1970s as part of a concerted effort by radio executives--in collusion with the major record labels--to standardize FM playlists. Taking the Top 40 format dominating AM radio, AOR consisted of tight, scaled-down song rotations, usually one or two selections preferred by the artists themselves (or the listening audience, if the street-level verdict was unanimous in nature) from the bestselling rock albums of the day. It was geared to album, rather than 45 r.p.m. single, sales; many of the playlist selections were never released as singles.

AOR has never constituted a stylistic grouping; playlist inclusions have always been defined by radio programmer decisions. The artists enjoying heavy AOR rotation represented a wide range of musical genres. Nevertheless, some general characteristics of this have been discerned by industry observers. In his rambling survey of AOR appearing in The Year in Rock, 1981-82, J.D. Considine termed it "hard pop"; that is, "hard, because its sound derives from the contours of hard rock and heavy metal; pop, because its formal structure is oriented toward popsong melodicism, not the sprawling, riff-based jamming of traditional heavy metal." He adds that critics of the category dismiss it as entertainment (as opposed to "music"), whereas supporters have pointed to its propensity for selling records. AOR was also widely criticized for its tendency to bar black artists from playlists.

The genre peaked in popularity during the mid-1970s. The emergence of other commercially viable radio formats in the late 1970s and early 1980s--mostly notably disco, country pop, rock 'n' roll oldies, adult contemporary, and college radio/alternative--severely compromised its front-running status. AOR's appeal was also diminished by the decline of mainstream rock acts such as Bad Company and the Doobie Brothers. The format remains a radio fixture, albeit in a secondary role--both within radio and in relation to other media broadcast outlets--as a hit-making entity.

or

Radio stations that specialized in rock music recorded during the later 1960s, 1970s, and 1980s were generally labeled Album-Oriented Rock (AOR) stations. The symbiosis between AOR stations and bands such as Deep Purple, Led Zeppelin, and Aerosmith has led many to refer to virtually all 1970s era hard rock bands as AOR as well. When it was first introduced in the late 1960s, the AOR format was only marginally commercial, but by the mid-1970s AOR stations were taking on many of the characteristics of top-40 stations. As the popularity of AOR stations grew, major label record companies exerted increasing influence over AOR playlists around the country, in the process squeezing out competition from independent label competitors. A by-product of this influence peddling was a creeping homogenization of rock music available on radio stations.

The AOR format was happened upon after the Federal Communication Commission (FCC) mandated a change in the way radio stations did their business in 1965. The FCC prohibited stations from offering the same programming on both AM and FM sides of the dial. This ruling opened the less popular FM side of the dial to a variety of less commercial formats, including jazz and classical. Coincidental with this change in radio programming law was the emergence of the so-called "concept album" among British art rock bands, the Beatles, and Bay Area psychedelic bands. Some of these albums featured songs substantially longer than the three minute time limit traditionally observed by radio station programmers. In areas with massive collegiate populations, especially San Francisco, a few FM stations began playing entire album sides. This approach to radio programming departed significantly from the singles-only AM pop rock format.

Or

Album-oriented rock

Album-oriented rock, abbreviated AOR and originally called Album-oriented radio, was originally an American FM radio format focusing on album tracks by rock artists. .

and

Quote Freeform and progressive

The roots of the Album-Oriented Rock (AOR) radio format began with programming concepts rooted in 1960s idealism. The Freeform or Progressive formats developed the repertoire and set the tone that would dominate AOR playlists for much of its heyday.

In the mid to late 1960s, the U.S. Federal Communications Commission (FCC) enacted a non-duplication rule prohibiting FM radio stations from merely running a Simulcast of the programming from their AM counterparts. Owners of AM/FM combo stations fought these new regulations vigorously, delaying the new rules for eighteen months. When finally enacted, station owners were pressed to come up with alternate programming options quickly.

The Freeform format in commercial radio was born out of this desperate need to program the FM airwaves, inexpensively. Programmers like Tom Donahue at KMPX developed stations where DJs had freedom to play long sets of music, often covering a variety of genres. Songs were not limited to hits or singles; indeed the DJs often played obscure or longer tracks by newer or more adventurous artists than heard on Top 40 stations of the day. This reflected the growth of albums as opposed to singles as rock's main artistic vehicle for expression in the 1960s and 1970s.

With a few exceptions commercial Freeform had a relatively brief life. With more and more listeners acquiring FM radios, the stakes became higher for stations to attract market share so that they could sell more advertising at a higher rate.

By 1970 many of the stations were moving to institute programming rules with a "clock" and system of "rotation". With this shift, Stations formats in the early 1970s were now billed as Progressive. DJs still had much input over the music they played, and the selection was deep and eclectic, ranging from folk to hard rock with other styles such as Jazz fusion occasionally thrown in.

A broad cross section of rock music that gained popularity during this time came to be called Progressive rock, likely because the wide recognition and success of artists could be attributed to airplay on Progressive stations; much the way the College rock label was given to bands that received air play on student-run college stations during the 1980s.

Album-oriented rock

In the mid-1970s, as program directors began to put more controls over what songs were played on air, Freeform and Progressive stations evolved into the album-oriented rock format. Stations still played longer songs and deep album tracks (rather than just singles), but program directors and consultants took on a greater role in song selection, generally limiting airplay to just a few “focus tracks” from a particular album and concentrating on artists with a slicker-produced, "commercial" sound than what had been featured a few years earlier. Noted DJ "Kid Leo" Travagliante of influential station WMMS in Cleveland observed the changes in a 1975 interview: "I think the '60s are ending about now. Now we are really starting the '70s. The emphasis is shifting back to entertainment instead of being 'relevant'...In fact, I wouldn't call our station progressive radio. That's outdated. I call it radio. But I heard a good word in the trades, AOR. That's Album-Oriented Rock. That's a name for the '70s".[1]

The "rock" in album-oriented rock came in the late 1970s, when AOR music libraries and playlists discarded the wide range of genres embraced earlier on to primarily focus on a rock-centric sound. The occasional folk, jazz, and blues selections became rarer and most black artists were effectively eliminated from airplay. Where earlier soul and R&B artists like Stevie Wonder, War, Sly Stone and others had been championed by the format, AOR was no longer representing these styles[2], and took a stance against disco. In 1979, Steve Dahl of WLUP in Chicago destroyed disco records on his radio show, culminating in the notorious Disco Demolition Night at Comiskey Park. Steve Slaton of KISW in Seattle had a similar on-air bit which was included on the station’s Epic Rock record album, as did Jay Preston of WLBJ in Bowling Green, Kentucky, who would play a few lines of a current disco hit, then unceremoniously run the stylus across the record numerous times and break the record on the air.

What links the Freeform, Progressive, AOR and ultimately the Classic rock formats are the continuity of rock artists and songs carried through each phase. Programmers and DJs of the Freeform and Progressive phases continued to cultivate a repertoire of rock music and style of delivery that were foundations of AOR and now Classic rock. Those AOR stations, which decided to stay "demographically-rooted", became classic rock stations by eschewing newer bands which their older listeners might tune out. Those that didn't fully evolve into classic rock generally attempt to hold onto their older listeners through careful dayparting—playing large amounts of classic rock during the 9-5 workday with more adventurous, newer songs "baked into the mix" as the listener base skews younger at night.

And yes, Progressive Rock is essentially an AOR genre.

The term evolved to describe a style, but that's not the real meaning.

Iván

Edited by Ivan_Melgar_M - May 01 2010 at 17:20

Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2010 at 17:36
Originally posted by Ivan_Melgar_M Ivan_Melgar_M wrote:

Iván

Not in every country in the world. As I said, in the UK it can also mean Adult Oriented Rock. Evidently it did where Mike and BlowinFree live too.
What?
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2010 at 17:49
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

Iván

Not in every country in the world. As I said, in the UK it can also mean Adult Oriented Rock. Evidently it did where Mike and BlowinFree live too.

Dean, as I mentioned in my foirst post, Adult Oriented Rock was also used in the States, but as an inaccurate evolution of the term.

As a fact Album Oriented Radio 9is an official broadcasting term, any mistaken use oof the term is simply inaccurate,

Yes, bands like Styx, Reo Speedwagon, Europe, etc were called AOR for Adult Oriented Rock, but that-s inaccurate.

Iván

Edited by Ivan_Melgar_M - May 01 2010 at 17:57

Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2010 at 17:56

Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

Iván

Dean, as I mentioned in my foirst post, Adult Oriented Rock was also used in the States, but as an inaccurate evolution of the term.

Yes, bands like Styx, Reo Speedwagon, Europe, etc were called AOR forAdult Oriented Rock, but that-s inaccurate.

Iván
*shrug* I don't think it matters that much. Adult Oriented Rock was a defintion that existed from the mid 70s in Europe and I don't see that as an inaccuracy, just a geographical difference

(we can always go ask Hugues see what he thinks Wink)
What?
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2010 at 18:02

Well Dean, I seen a couple British members (Not you) atacking USA Prog as second class, and calling bands as Kansas "Pork Burger", and this doesn't make it correct.

The bands of the late 70-s you decribe are of course AOR, because they base their production in the album format, but this bands are only a small part of what AOR means.

AOR is an official term with a meaning, the missuse of it doesn''t make it more valid.

Iván

Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2010 at 18:12
Kansas are Progressive rock and done with that Smile and i Like STYX but have no albums (please recomend ) Saga is one of my favourtie bands (I only have Chapters Live and it is all I need of them the best live album ever released) Toto is my favourite band über alles, own 11 studio album and know their BIO out and  in.  Journey and Foreigner is great bands as well and Asia debute album is one of my dessert island albums.

And i prefare Melodic Rock as describiton of the genre much more then AOR
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2010 at 19:09

Well Dean, I seen a couple British members (Not you) atacking USA Prog as second class, and calling bands as Kansas "Pork Burger", and this doesn't make it correct.

I've never heard, read or seen the term "pork burger" here or anywhere else so I did a search - 4 mentions - one by a Swedish member who no longer posts here and the other 3 (now 4) by you referring to his original post... No Brit has used that phrase to my knowledge.

If you don't want this term to enter into the PA vocabulary, then you should really stop perpetuating it. Wink

The bands of the late 70-s you decribe are of course AOR, because they base their production in the album format, but this bands are only a small part of what AOR means.
I haven't described any late 70s bands. In fact I never mentioned the late 70s.

AOR is an official term with a meaning, the missuse of it doesn''t make it more valid.

Iván

There is no such thing as an "official term" - they are all colloquial - use in another country is not missuse and it is perfectly valid.
What?
Epignosis View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2010 at 19:16
mmm...pork burger....

http://www.havenvideo.com/images/smilies/smiley-face-drool.gif

Listening to Kansas now.  Big smile
Epignosis View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2010 at 19:18
Originally posted by aginor aginor wrote:

Kansas are Progressive rock and done with that Smile

Amen.

Originally posted by aginor aginor wrote:

and i Like STYX but have no albums (please recomend )

Get The Grand Illusion and Pieces of Eight.
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2010 at 19:29
I don't know about you guys, but I am fed up with all those pork burger bands! They are just the worst.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2010 at 20:36
Hey Dean, I mentioned British member dismissing USA bands, and that had happend lots of times. Only one use Pork Burgers, and honestly thought he was British but never said many members used the term pork burgers,

But there have been many derogatory mentions of bands like Kansas, Styx or even Pavlov's Dog as Pomp Rock.

Now the term AOR is really official, it's used in broadcasting, it's even taught in Broadcasting or Communication programs, so if it's taken and changed the meaning, is a missuse IMO.

Originally posted by Epignosis Epignosis wrote:

Get The Grand Illusion and Pieces of Eight.

I would add Crystal Ball and even Cornerstone if it wasn't for Babe, becaiuse this album has two of my favourite tracks, "Boat on a River" and "Lights"

And if ready for less popular but more Prog oriented stuff, STYXX II and The Serpent is Rising.

Iván

Edited by Ivan_Melgar_M - May 01 2010 at 20:37

RoyFairbank View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2010 at 20:51
I was saying to my father,

"oh yeah, Boston, Starship, they were all Adult Oriented Rock, everybody was doing it"

"well" he said, exasperated, "it wasn't called that THEN. Now only adults listen to it - when I was young everybody listened to it"

So this made me look at the unhelpful wikipedia article

but is it true that Adult Oriented Rock as meaning melodic sort of weak pop/rock with a certain polished heavyiness (said bands) developed only AFTER these bands were long gone from the scene?

Edited by RoyFairbank - May 01 2010 at 21:40
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2010 at 21:06
Starcraft? I didn't know Blizzard entertainment was around back then.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>