Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Salem Mass (American heavy prog or electic prog)
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedSalem Mass (American heavy prog or electic prog)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Salem Mass (American heavy prog or electic prog)
    Posted: May 05 2010 at 03:04
Salem Mass was a short-lived American progressive rock band who played mix of heavy prog rock a la DP or UH with space rock/psychedelic influences in plenty of Moog synthesizer solos and leads (one of the first band which used this fantastic instrument :-). However the most similar band to Salem Mass is surely Black Widow (also lyrically).

line-up:

Jim Klahr (keyboards), Mike Snead (guitar, vocals), Steve Towery (drums, vocals), Matt Wilson (bass, vocals)

They've recorded only one album called "Witch Burning " in 1971 with great 10-minutes title track full of Moog soloing. This record also features plenty of goog Hammonds of course...

audio clips:

full review:

"In 1971 four buddies entered their favorite bar in Sun Valley, Idaho and recorded a piece of low-fi progressive nostalgia. Possessing all the starry-eyed wonder of Yes and Emerson, Lake and Palmer, but without the Major Label and state of the art studio, they recorded a very unique but of history. Progressive rock does not lend itself to the same lo-fi conditions that garage rock and metal do. It's just a fact. Yet I am ecstatic these guys tried it. Why? Because somehow in the midst of this confused (albeit entertaining) record they pulled out a bona-fide lost classic: "The Drifter", the last song on side two. It's a great prog rave-up worthy of Deep Purple or Uriah Heep and reason enough this should be in your collection. -"

more info:

harmonium.ro View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2010 at 05:40
A couple more YouTube samples:

The synth sounds on "Bare Tree" are interesting indeed but the rest is not very convincing.
ANDREW View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2010 at 18:17
I have this album and i like it very much!!!
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2010 at 19:16
tough sell though I do hear some prog in there somewhere, we'll see, thanks

Post Reply Post Reply