Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedDrummer's Collage Appreciation By Darksideof

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2010 at 15:42
Originally posted by ProgressiveAttic ProgressiveAttic wrote:

Originally posted by darksideof darksideof wrote:

Originally posted by Tursake Tursake wrote:

Neil Peart <SPAN ="Unicode">☑John Bonham </SPAN><SPAN ="Unicode">☑Keith Moon </SPAN><SPAN ="Unicode">☑Carl Palmer </SPAN><SPAN ="Unicode">☑Ginger Baker </SPAN><SPAN ="Unicode">☑Bill Bruford </SPAN><SPAN ="Unicode">☑Ian Paice </SPAN><SPAN ="Unicode">☑I approve Approve</SPAN>

I am glad!!!!!LOL

Exactly my thoughts!!!!

Amazing collage!!!! what's going to be your next project? (a keyboardists collage please.... )

Keyboardist collage would indeed be awesome! Big smile

Last.fm: TursakeX
RYM: Tursake
darksideof View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2010 at 15:53
Originally posted by ProgressiveAttic ProgressiveAttic wrote:

Originally posted by Tursake Tursake wrote:

Neil Peart <SPAN ="Unicode">☑John Bonham </SPAN><SPAN ="Unicode">☑Keith Moon </SPAN><SPAN ="Unicode">☑Carl Palmer </SPAN><SPAN ="Unicode">☑Ginger Baker </SPAN><SPAN ="Unicode">☑Bill Bruford </SPAN><SPAN ="Unicode">☑Ian Paice </SPAN><SPAN ="Unicode">☑I approve Approve</SPAN>

I am glad!!!!!LOL

Exactly my thoughts!!!!

Amazing collage!!!! what's going to be your next project? (a keyboardists collage please.... )

MMM!!! well Not yet buddy but it is on the list as the guitarist and bass players.
I am think that my next could be an All Paul Whitehead Albums. Paul was the album artist of early genesis albums, Le Orme, and  VdGG it was subjected by Dean ( PA Admin) I thinks that sounds like a great idea. oh, also I have a mind of doing a Tangerine Dream. They have so many f**king albums that I can work on.
Let see!, but I am quiet sure it would be of Paul' works.
A keyboardist sounds great but it has to wait. sorry!!! I'll keep you post it.!Big smile
http://darksideofcollages.blogspot.com/
http://www.metalmusicarchives.com/
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Darksideof-Collages/
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2010 at 16:30
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

Beeing a drummer and a painter (both done autodidact - and with no real training other than what I impose on myself that is) I really dig this work!!!
Enough about the drummers already - I have a much higher admiration for the way you created an imperfect mosaic of conflicting images. The human body is an altogether different shape than the perfect round and linear shapes of that of a drum kit. It feels like a natural entity in it self with all the images combined, while at the same time picturing hundreds of separate alternate images within. Kudos big time! I have never been able to direct my creativity towards anything remotely attached to the computer - I need to get my hands dirty for that type of thing.
Please post more of your work!
Thank buddy for the great words!!!
I am a huge fan of Salvador Dali, Roger Dean, Hugh Syme ( RUSH albums) and Storm Thorgerson( Pink Floyd) work to mention a few and the most important ones. I  just love the idea of playing with my imagination and the style of my heroes. I had done painting and Illustration in this style, but lately the computer and photoshop is allowing me to just push much further my style that I think I wouldn't be able to do in an hand made illustration or painting. Haaa! Thanks to PCs and Photoshop!
 yes you have to invest time on a graphic computer programs like photoshop and Illustrator progmate!!
When the impossible becomes possible.
Actually I had posted all my collages and some of other artworks here but i guess you missed them.
you can visit my blog to view them all. Thanks for the interest.

Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2010 at 16:37

Beeing a drummer and a painter (both done autodidact - and with no real training other than what I impose on myself that is) I really dig this work!!!
Enough about the drummers already - I have a much higher admiration for the way you created an imperfect mosaic of conflicting images. The human body is an altogether different shape than the perfect round and linear shapes of that of a drum kit. It feels like a natural entity in it self with all the images combined, while at the same time picturing hundreds of separate alternate images within. Kudos big time! I have never been able to direct my creativity towards anything remotely attached to the computer - I need to get my hands dirty for that type of thing.
I am a huge fan of Salvador Dali, Roger Dean, Hugh Syme ( RUSH albums) and Storm Thorgerson( Pink Floyd) work to mention a few and the most important ones. I  just love the idea of playing with my imagination and the style of my heroes. I had done painting and Illustration in this style, but lately the computer and photoshop is allowing me to just push much further my style that I think I wouldn't be able to do in an hand made illustration or painting. Haaa! Thanks to PCs and Photoshop!
 yes you have to invest time on a graphic computer programs like photoshop and Illustrator progmate!!
Actually I had posted all my collages and some of other artworks here but i guess you missed them.

Those balls from Octavarium are just brilliant!!! I love the way you brought em to life. Here´s an idea: maybe working out from the Octavarium Image with the balls (errm) incorporating other covers with round objects such as Pompeii with Floyd and that fantastic gong, or perhaps Tangerine Dream Zeit? Just food for thought anyways - I hope you continue to do whatever inspires you.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2010 at 17:16
Hi,

Ohh well. No Mani ... I'm gonna call him and tell him that you are a stinky artist! 
 LOLGeek

(He's probably gonna ask me if you got Gene Krupa in there!)

Edited by moshkito - May 07 2010 at 17:20
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2010 at 17:30
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Hi,

Ohh well. No Mani ... I'm gonna call him and tell him that you are a stinky artist! 
 LOLGeek

Mani from Guru Guru is probably one of the most inspiring drummers I´ve ever heard. Just putting Kænguru on right now  OXY-MOR-ON!!!
Evolutionary Sleeper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2010 at 20:13

Originally posted by Evolutionary Sleeper Evolutionary Sleeper wrote:

Originally posted by Evolutionary Sleeper Evolutionary Sleeper wrote:

I was really looking forward to this one and you didn't disappoint. It's a bit different from your other ones, but awesome nonetheless, great job once again! Clap

Also I love how you put the giant snare in the middle and built around it, very cool.
Thank buddy!!!  I am glad I didn't disappointed you! Wink that was the idea to create a collage that i will separate from the others. yeah the idea with the snare looks pretty cool! I actually drew that snare drum on Adobe Illustrator. it was hard to do, but real fun!! The idea of the snare came because I love Bill Bruford ( My Number 1 drummer if you didn't noticed it ) snare drum sound for many years. So I thought Gee! a giant snare right in the center !.  I love his records with All the bands he played and his early solo albums. that snare beat sound is freaking awesome!!!!Clap

No problem man...and you drew that snare yourself?  Very cool.  Man, that would be awesome as a poster. DO WANT!

Oh I see you can buy a print on your blog. That might have to wait til I move, so I don't ruin it during that trip.
Yes I did drew the Snare . I am also an Illustrator. Yeah I do sell poster and smaller print s of all my collages. Yeah when you can I understand. Just send me PM when you are ready. good luck with the move!
thanks... we keep in touch!!!

For sure, I'll drop you a PM once i get settled.
BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2010 at 21:06
Originally posted by AtomicCrimsonRush AtomicCrimsonRush wrote:

My Review of the drumming collage:

Well tighten your wing nuts and tension rods, along comes the most prolific drum roll of fabulous drummers in glorious black and white noir. There are more drummers here than you can bang a gong to. Neil Peart, John Bonham, Keith Moon, Carl Palmer, Ginger Baker, Bill Bruford, Ian Paice and Mike Portnoy for a start. There are metal legends such as Bill Ward and frontmen such as Phil Collins looming out of the darkness from “Face Value” album. Robert Wyatt is there in his mystical white beard, Nick D'Virgilio from the mystical Spock's Beard, and Alan White looking simply... er, mystical.

The drum kits are there as evidence, weapons of mass destruction that have pummeled the ears of listeners for decades of classic rock and jazz fusion; crash cymbals, rides and splashes glisten as lights dance off them, and even the drumsticks can be seen in the hands of the protagonists. Look hard and you may see a cowbell or chimes, congas and bongos, hi hats and bass drums and the occasional accordion in Giles's hands.

The black and white approach is appropriate as it encompasses the legends from time gone by and the legends of modern prog such as Nick Mason and Christian Vander with his hand crawling over his face in true Magma style. Bruford sits in his own reflection in contemplative fashion while Peart prefers to bash out his contemplative troubles. Each corner of the poster features a true drumming legend, from jazz to heavy prog. The faces encircle the centrifugal drum while a plethora of drummers crowd the bottom of the poster. There is Jon Theodore, of Mars Volta, Gavin Harrison of Porcupine Tree, Pierre Moerlen of Gong, Sib Hashian of Boston and Michi Dei Rossi of Le Orme. The collage is as tight as a drum and a finely tuned piece of art.

This is a heavenly depiction for drummers worldwide.

Nice, but one is missing:

There should  at least be one German drummer in there , and who else but he.

Edited by BaldFriede - May 07 2010 at 21:09

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
SergiUriah View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2010 at 23:39
You are a very good artist, Darksideof. I already told you. Congratulations and thanks for showing your art.Wink

AtomicCrimsonRush View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2010 at 23:52
Originally posted by BaldFriede BaldFriede wrote:

My Review of the drumming collage:

Well tighten your wing nuts and tension rods, along comes the most prolific drum roll of fabulous drummers in glorious black and white noir. There are more drummers here than you can bang a gong to. Neil Peart, John Bonham, Keith Moon, Carl Palmer, Ginger Baker, Bill Bruford, Ian Paice and Mike Portnoy for a start. There are metal legends such as Bill Ward and frontmen such as Phil Collins looming out of the darkness from “Face Value” album. Robert Wyatt is there in his mystical white beard, Nick D'Virgilio from the mystical Spock's Beard, and Alan White looking simply... er, mystical.

The drum kits are there as evidence, weapons of mass destruction that have pummeled the ears of listeners for decades of classic rock and jazz fusion; crash cymbals, rides and splashes glisten as lights dance off them, and even the drumsticks can be seen in the hands of the protagonists. Look hard and you may see a cowbell or chimes, congas and bongos, hi hats and bass drums and the occasional accordion in Giles's hands.

The black and white approach is appropriate as it encompasses the legends from time gone by and the legends of modern prog such as Nick Mason and Christian Vander with his hand crawling over his face in true Magma style. Bruford sits in his own reflection in contemplative fashion while Peart prefers to bash out his contemplative troubles. Each corner of the poster features a true drumming legend, from jazz to heavy prog. The faces encircle the centrifugal drum while a plethora of drummers crowd the bottom of the poster. There is Jon Theodore, of Mars Volta, Gavin Harrison of Porcupine Tree, Pierre Moerlen of Gong, Sib Hashian of Boston and Michi Dei Rossi of Le Orme. The collage is as tight as a drum and a finely tuned piece of art.

This is a heavenly depiction for drummers worldwide.

I believe that is Mani Neumeier - which album did the feature on?
BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2010 at 01:12

To start with: All Guru Guru albums - he is the only constant member of Guru Guru. He IS Guru Guru. A lot of other albums too, with bands that are not in the archives yet, like Tiere der Nacht (German for "Animals of the Night"), Lover 303 or Acid Mother Guru Guru,, a side project with, yes you guessed it, the Acid Mothers Temple. Mani has a Japanese wife who is a performance artist (he sometimes does duos with her) and thus has a strong Japanese connection. There even is a wax work of him at a wax work exhibition in Tokyo. He is pretty well-known in Japan.
Listen to the Guru Guru track "God's Endless Love for Men" in the archives; you can hear what an excellent drummer he is there.

Edited by BaldFriede - May 09 2010 at 01:15

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2010 at 17:01

Those balls from Octavarium are just brilliant!!! I love the way you brought em to life. Here´s an idea: maybe working out from the Octavarium Image with the balls (errm) incorporating other covers with round objects such as Pompeii with Floyd and that fantastic gong, or perhaps Tangerine Dream Zeit? Just food for thought anyways - I hope you continue to do whatever inspires you.

Thanks you very much buddy!! yeah The Dream Theater collage is one my top favorite collage I had done so far. I'll keep that in mind! I am gonna do a Tangerine Dream Collage very soon!
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2010 at 17:04
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Hi,

LOLGeek

LOL that was funny!
Sorry buddy that is why I said at the begging post that I am sorry if I left out your favorite drummer. I was runnig out space and it was getting to crowed. Sorry !Confused

Edited by darksideof - May 09 2010 at 17:07
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2010 at 17:09
Originally posted by SergiUriah SergiUriah wrote:

You are a very good artist, Darksideof. I already told you. Congratulations and thanks for showing your art.Wink
Thank you very much and I away appreciated your visit and comments.!
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2010 at 17:13

To start with: All Guru Guru albums - he is the only constant member of Guru Guru. He IS Guru Guru. A lot of other albums too, with bands that are not in the archives yet, like Tiere der Nacht (German for "Animals of the Night"), Lover 303 or Acid Mother Guru Guru,, a side project with, yes you guessed it, the Acid Mothers Temple. Mani has a Japanese wife who is a performance artist (he sometimes does duos with her) and thus has a strong Japanese connection. There even is a wax work of him at a wax work exhibition in Tokyo. He is pretty well-known in Japan.
Listen to the Guru Guru track "God's Endless Love for Men" in the archives; you can hear what an excellent drummer he is there.

Confused I am sorry WOW!! I am  guru fan and I forgot him
But don't feel bad look at this collage I did sometime ago: how made this album?the one with the phone?
SaltyJon View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2010 at 18:07
If you do a Tangerine Dream collage I'm hoping the artwork for Zeit is nice and big, it's such a great album art. Big smile
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2010 at 09:19
Originally posted by BaldJean BaldJean wrote:

you should make a list of the drummers you included; they are not all easily recognizable
 it is done kiddo check the first post again!Big smile
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2010 at 09:20
Originally posted by SaltyJon SaltyJon wrote:

If you do a Tangerine Dream collage I'm hoping the artwork for Zeit is nice and big, it's such a great album art. Big smile
 Yeah Thanks geat album cover for sure!!!!! TD has some amazing albums covers
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2010 at 09:42
Some idiot just said that what I do is Steal other people artwork f**k with them and called my own. And then he finished by saying that he has photoshop  he can do the same sh*t as me. All I said to him "well them go for it" let see how you do!

I work my ass of to make unique collages and I don't call the original artwork my own, but  the compositing of images I do call it mine. I make sure that I always mention the artists and the bands I am using in the collages.
 He has the nerves to call me a friend! Angry
 He is not a PA member FYI.
Do you guys agreee?
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2010 at 10:11
of course I don't agree! does a painter make his paint brushes and colors himself? does a sculptor create the stone or the metal he is working with?

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>