This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2010 at 23:29
Originally posted by A Person A Person wrote:

Originally posted by JLocke JLocke wrote:

I wouldn't mind DVD quality if I can watch a full season or a half season on a single disc or whatever it comes out to.

Well most people with sense would. 

Why? DVD quality was good enough before, why wouldn't it be now?

You're not getting it.

If a person invests in Blu-Ray, it's not because they want to put several DVDs onto one disc; they want to get their money's worth by getting the best possible audio and video quality the format offers. That's why people buy Blu-Ray, do you not understand that? 

Quantity does NOT take precedent over quality, in my opinion. It may be convenient to put several hours of DVD-quality video onto one disc, since you won't have to get your ass up and switch discs if you're watching a TV show, but it will still look like sh*t on my HDTV. The money I'm investing into the technology is essentially going to waste in that situation. 

Or I could put it simpler; do you buy a car for the amount of features it can fit in, or the quality and reliability that it may offer? If you put good money down for something, you want it to do it's own job, not do several jobs that your previous investment already could do. Right?

I cannot make it any clearer than that. 

Edited by JLocke - May 14 2010 at 23:30
A Person View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2010 at 23:35
I wouldn't buy a Blu-ray player because of that, but I'd probably invest more in something like that if I owned one. I guess I would think of a Blu-ray player as a replacement for what I already have, for example, I'd still buy Gamecube games if I got a Wii.
JLocke View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2010 at 23:41
Originally posted by AtomicCrimsonRush AtomicCrimsonRush wrote:

as soon as he dropped the F bomb I was detuned to his rant.The common use of language throughout negates any good points he may have had. He is opinionated and has too much time on his hands......

Sorry to disagree with you, since we more or less seem to both dislike the guy, but if you're one of those people who judge the character of others based on how they choose to speak, then something needs to be made clear:

What is considered 'profane' to the public changes over time. What offended people verbally a hundred years ago may not be what bothers people today. To base your judgement of a person on something so subjective and fragile is ridiculous, in my oh-so-humble opinion. 

Words are nothing but a string of sounds. Certain combinations of sounds form into words that some people consider 'un-intelligent' or 'offensive'. Oh, dear. How terrible. Ermm 

I'm on your team; the guy's a moron. But not because he says 'the F-Bomb', as you eloquently put it. His choice of words are the least of his problems. He's just uninformed and spouting misinformation to his viewers. That's enough reason in and of itself to dislike this man, I think. 

Sorry for giving a huge speech, but just like our ignorant YouTube friend, I'm very opinionated on some things. People's irrational intolerance for words is one such topic. 

Edited by JLocke - May 15 2010 at 10:58
JLocke View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2010 at 23:51

I wouldn't buy a Blu-ray player because of that, but I'd probably invest more in something like that if I owned one. I guess I would think of a Blu-ray player as a replacement for what I already have, for example, I'd still buy Gamecube games if I got a Wii.

Glad you brought that up as a comparison. 

Okay . . . as you may or may not know, certain Gamecube games have been and are being re-issued for the Wii. They are the same games, but with a higher native resolution, wide-screen compatible, re-worked controls specifically for the Wii, etc.

Now: it would probably be more convenient to simply buy the original Gamecube versions of those games since they would be cheaper AND can run on the Wii just fine. However, for a few dollars more, you can buy the upgraded editions of those same games and they will look and run even better on your Wii because those versions were designed with that machine's hardware in mind. With me so far?

Alright, now obviously if you already own the game for the Gamecube, there is no reason at all to purchase the Wii version unless the game is just THAT special to you. The original release will run fine enough on the new system, and you'll save the cash. BUT if you have yet to purchase the game in either format, wouldn't you want to pay the extra few bucks in order to fully take advantage of what the Wii is capable of? I mean, if you invested in the new technology, and a better compatible version of a game is released for it, that would make more sense, because you're ultimately getting your money's worth.

Same exact situation with Blu-Ray. I'm not saying to go out and purchase nothing but Blu-Ray Discs afterward, and I'm certainly not implying that you have to get rid of all your DVDs. But what i AM saying is that when people pay for an upgrade to their home entertainment system, when they DO buy videos specifically designed for that said system, the quality of it is going to be their primary reason for buying it; not how fewer discs it may take to keep the same video quality. 
A Person View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2010 at 00:13
Originally posted by JLocke JLocke wrote:

Glad you brought that up as a comparison. 

Okay . . . as you may or may not know, certain Gamecube games have been and are being re-issued for the Wii. They are the same games, but with a higher native resolution, wide-screen compatible, re-worked controls specifically for the Wii, etc.

Now: it would probably be more convenient to simply buy the original Gamecube versions of those games since they would be cheaper AND can run on the Wii just fine. However, for a few dollars more, you can buy the upgraded editions of those same games and they will look and run even better on your Wii because those versions were designed with that machine's hardware in mind. With me so far?

Alright, now obviously if you already own the game for the Gamecube, there is no reason at all to purchase the Wii version unless the game is just THAT special to you. The original release will run fine enough on the new system, and you'll save the cash. BUT if you have yet to purchase the game in either format, wouldn't you want to pay the extra few bucks in order to fully take advantage of what the Wii is capable of? I mean, if you invested in the new technology, and a better compatible version of a game is released for it, that would make more sense, because you're ultimately getting your money's worth.

Same exact situation with Blu-Ray. I'm not saying to go out and purchase nothing but Blu-Ray Discs afterward, and I'm certainly not implying that you have to get rid of all your DVDs. But what i AM saying is that when people pay for an upgrade to their home entertainment system, when they DO buy videos specifically designed for that said system, the quality of it is going to be their primary reason for buying it; not how fewer discs it may take to keep the same video quality. 

I see what you mean, yes. I'm sure I'd adopt Blu-Ray asap if it became affordable.  In the Gamecube - Wii comparison I would be willing to repurchase, notably the Metroid Prime Trilogy release, but only because of the fact that I feel that they have been reworked for the new medium and offer something new, while I prefer a better picture it can't add anything in the same way. Superior picture quality would be more of a perk than a standard in my mind, although I would definitely buy BD over DVD as often as possible.

Maybe I think of Blu-Ray as too much of a storage medium rather than a new picture/sound quality standard.
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2010 at 00:16
Well, I'm going to get back to some plain old non bleu ray DVD.  On an HDTV with surround sound.  The mix is not surround and the picture is standard.  Looks real nice on a moderately sized wide screen TV.
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Mr ProgFreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2010 at 03:10
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

Klaatu barada nikto

Apparently that one looks nice on blu-ray, too ...

Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2010 at 03:51
^ I wouldn't mind the original on bluray, Forbidden Planet too, and while we're at it The Time Machine, Fantastic Voyage, Jason and the Argonauts, and Mysterious Island

Mr ProgFreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2010 at 05:36
I recently watched Logan's Run on blu-ray ... not bad at all. Some shots are really blurry, while others have a surprisingly high resolution. It was similar with the old Star Trek episodes ... evidently it was customary to use different types of film material for different situations.
Jim Garten View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin & Razor Guru

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2010 at 07:44
Certainly not rich enough to update all mty DVDs to BluRay, but we do now have a BR player & there is a huge difference (to my aged eye anyway); also the player 'upscales' standard DVDs to higher resolution images & again I do notice a big difference.

There are some DVDs I've replaced with BR discs (Kingdom of Heaven, 30 Days Of Night, Children Of Men, The Usual Suspects to name a few), but for the rest (and until they release all three directors cuts of Lord Of The Rings) I'm happy where I am (renting BR through Lovefilm helps too)

Edited by Jim Garten - May 25 2010 at 07:44

Jon Lord 1941 - 2012
Green Shield Stamp View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2010 at 13:51
My choice is dependent on the contents of my wallet.......DVD!
Haiku

Writing a poem
With seventeen syllables
Is very diffic....
Darious View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2014 at 11:13
Sorry.. what are you actually talking about? Films on DVD or Blu Ray? Some Sopranos..? I always thought Blu Ray players are strictly dedicated for High Fidelity Pure Audio discs playback, also as a quality CD players - often much better than the "good, old, just" CD players. Take this Marantz UD7007 - what a gem it is! Occasionally you can use it, of course, as a movie player, if you must, but most of all a Blu Ray player is a top quality music player. Blu Ray player + amplifier + speakers/headphones and you cannot think about better Hi-Fi setup, trust me.

Edited by Darious - October 03 2014 at 02:19
Writing about truth is a little bit like getting your dick out in public and hoping no one laughs (Steve Hogarth)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678