Topic ClosedLady Gaga

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 11>
Author
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Lady Gaga
    Posted: May 07 2010 at 20:04
Originally posted by Myself Myself wrote:

Kay, I know I'm just starting to get into prog now and am not that much of a prog fan, but I would take a good album seriously no matter who did it. And I hate Jonas Brothers and Miley Cirus as much as everyone else, but I actually love Gaga, used to hate her.

I'm gonna go create a thread explaining why. Sounds like a good way to piss everyone off and make a bad first impression. LOL 

I thought this would either create some mature interesting discussion, or an all out flame war. Either way, I figure the responses to this thread will amuse me. Anyway, here's my list of reasons why I like Lady Gaga:

1) She's a character: When hearing somebody like Lady Gaga or Marylin Manson for the first time, a lot of people cringe at the vastly innappropriate lyrics, think "what a freak," and turn it off. People may also do the same thing when looking at their costumes and makeup. It's true that Lady Gaga's lyrics, stage persona, and appearance are perverted. But here's the thing: Lady Gaga is a CHARACTER, not a REAL PERSON. She's played by a singer/composer/actress. Lady Gaga blends the art of characterisation with the art of music, just like prog artists blend visual art and music. I acknowladge that Lady Gaga hasn't done anything original here. Pretty much all pop artists, rappers, shock rockers, and many metal artists blend music with characterisation. But I think Lady Gaga has a better character than most. She is completely is your face, upbeat, outlandish, and is shows no angst or disrespect for the opposite sex.

2) She creates pretty good synth lines: She hits the listener over the head with a cool electronic riff as soon as you turn on the song. It's not very subtle but it works. Even if you hate her voice, song structure, and lyrics, try listening to the opening riffs of Love Game or Just Dance. Admit it: If that was a guitar playing that riff you'd love it.

3) She can actually sing: Ok, she uses a lot of electronic effects on her voice but she doesn't NEED them. She can actually sing smoothly and on pitch naturally. You probably haven't heard her do that, and it's not on the radio, but it's around. And it's not just good technique, it's also that her voice just naturally sounds good. It's not whiny or annoying like some other pop stars.

4) Parts of her songs flow so smoothly it's almost spacey: The chorus of Papparazi is the perfect example of this. (no really) Sometimes it seems like all the parts of the of her songs are flowing together, somehow being unusually consonant, which I realize is an oxymoron, but I don't know how to explain it better.

One thing I can say that's a weak point of her music though is this: It gets a little old. However pretty much every artist has at least one "weak point" in my opinion.

Edited by Stonebolt - May 07 2010 at 20:06
RoyFairbank View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2010 at 20:26
Completely disagree (100%) but only know 1% of her material. Her persona, pretentious costumes and lip-syncing escapades with gay dancers is disgusting and unartistical and utterly commercial.

What I've heard of her music is unoriginal, grating and full of contempt for the listener.

It can be encapsulated in this smilie equation:

Gaga=Pig
Stonebolt View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2010 at 20:32
Lol, well I'm just glad you expressed you opinion Roy.
A Person View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2010 at 20:35
I don't hate Lady Gaga as much as I do some other pop, that's gotta count for something, right?
Henry Plainview View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2010 at 20:45

Originally posted by RoyFairbank RoyFairbank wrote:

Completely disagree (100%) but only know 1% of her material. Her persona, pretentious costumes and lip-syncing escapades with gay dancers is disgusting and unartistical and utterly commercial.

You're complaining about pretentious costumes....on a prog forum? If you hear something behind you I think it is PETER GABRIEL WITH A KNIFE LOOK OUT! As far as I know, she doesn't lip-sync. Unartistic? By what standards do you get to measure what is "art"? If you don't like something, is it simply not art? Does intending to make money really render something "not art"? How can the intent change the nature of the object? Can you make a value judgment on Lady Gaga when you admit you haven't heard much of her work? For that matter, is it possible to make a value judgment on the work of others at all?

Edited by Henry Plainview - May 07 2010 at 20:49
if you own a sodastream i hate you
thellama73 View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2010 at 20:51
I'm with you, man. I have gone on record a bunch of times on this forum expressing admiration for GaGa. I think she has a real flair for writing catchy songs, which is a really difficult thing to do well, and she doesn't seem to be the trashy, disgusting role model that a lot of young pop singers are. She actually seems pretty centered.
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2010 at 21:26

Her persona, pretentious costumes and lip-syncing escapades with gay dancers is disgusting and unartistical and utterly commercial.

HP has already said it, but you realize that this is what people who don't listen to prog might say about Fish?  Being that one of the foremost prog rock bands and certainly one that's liked by many on this forum was at the forefront of ermmm commercialization in the 80s, I am not able to condemn an artist for the only reason of being commercial. Wink
zappaholic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2010 at 21:45
Miss Germanotta is pop music's greatest troll (I mean in the internet sense of the word).  She's gaming the system for all she can, and is having a big laugh at both her fans and her detractors.

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard." -- H.L. Mencken
UndercoverBoy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2010 at 21:55
Originally posted by A Person A Person wrote:

I don't hate Lady Gaga as much as I do some other pop, that's gotta count for something, right?

I agree.  The fact that she writes all her music and doesn't use auto-tune already puts her miles ahead most other pop stars out there.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2010 at 21:57
To all who challenge me:

Peter Gabriel and Fish do not lip-sync, they do not dress as universes and need help exiting limos, they did not do it for money (they could and in Gabriel's case would do it to a greater degree doing the opposite), they were doing it to express the music, which was artistical prog, not stupid madonna like pop. The slipperman says something to me, GAY DANCERS AND FISH NET DON'T.

All modern pop is written by old bald men and engineered in the studio aimed at the lowest denominator- Genesis and Marillion were aimed at expanding the boundaries in an original and authentic way (less for Marillion Wink) they addressed important issues (look at Back In NYC or the even better life force of He Knows You Know or anything from Clutching at Straws).

Lady GaGa by positioning herself as the "Princess of Pop" is balancing herself atop a cesspool. I don't care how much glitter she uses to try to hide it.

I'll stick to searching for meaningful Music and when I can't find it, I'll go for skilled works of the past like 80s AOR and Experimental sh*t.

I have come. I have spoken. I have came.

btw I refuse to believe GuyGuy does not use auto-tune and that she writes her own material

Edited by RoyFairbank - May 07 2010 at 22:00
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2010 at 22:02
^supplment to previous post

1. "Bad Romance"   Lady Gaga, RedOne 4:55
2. "Alejandro"   Lady Gaga, RedOne 4:34
3. "Monster"   Lady Gaga, RedOne, Space Cowboy 4:09
4. "Speechless"   Lady Gaga 4:30
5. "Dance in the Dark"   Lady Gaga, Fernando Garibay 4:48
6. "Telephone" (featuring Beyoncé) Lady Gaga, Rodney Jerkins, LaShawn Daniels, Lazonate Franklin, Beyoncé 3:40
7. "So Happy I Could Die"   Lady Gaga, RedOne, Space Cowboy 3:55
8. "Teeth"   Lady Gaga, Teddy Riley

These are production people.... the old bald men I was talking about....

Gaga gets only one alone credit.... but this is common in Modern pop, they get credits just for singing (with auto-tune) LOOK AT BEYONSE, SHE GETS A CREDIT JUST FOR SINGING ON TELEPHONE SEE?

Edited by RoyFairbank - May 07 2010 at 22:03
zappaholic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2010 at 22:03

TMI, dude.

/sorry, had to

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard." -- H.L. Mencken
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2010 at 22:07
Originally posted by Master Of The Universe (Roy Fairbank) Master Of The Universe (Roy Fairbank) wrote:

To all who challenge me:

Peter Gabriel and Fish do not lip-sync, they do not dress as universes and need help exiting limos, they did not do it for money (they could and in Gabriel's case would do it to a greater degree doing the opposite), they were doing it to express the music, which was artistical prog, not stupid madonna like pop. The slipperman says something to me, GAY DANCERS AND FISH NET DON'T.

All modern pop is written by old bald men and engineered in the studio aimed at the lowest denominator- Genesis and Marillion were aimed at expanding the boundaries in an original and authentic way (less for Marillion Wink) they addressed important issues (look at Back In NYC or the even better life force of He Knows You Know or anything from Clutching at Straws).

Lady GaGa by positioning herself as the "Princess of Pop" is balancing herself atop a cesspool. I don't care how much glitter she uses to try to hide it.

I'll stick to searching for meaningful Music and when I can't find it, I'll go for skilled works of the past like 80s AOR and Experimental sh*t.

btw I refuse to believe GuyGuy does not use auto-tune and that she writes her own material

^supplment to previous post

1. "Bad Romance"   Lady Gaga, RedOne 4:55
2. "Alejandro"   Lady Gaga, RedOne 4:34
3. "Monster"   Lady Gaga, RedOne, Space Cowboy 4:09
4. "Speechless"   Lady Gaga 4:30
5. "Dance in the Dark"   Lady Gaga, Fernando Garibay 4:48
6. "Telephone" (featuring Beyoncé) Lady Gaga, Rodney Jerkins, LaShawn Daniels, Lazonate Franklin, Beyoncé 3:40
7. "So Happy I Could Die"   Lady Gaga, RedOne, Space Cowboy 3:55
8. "Teeth"   Lady Gaga, Teddy Riley

These are production people.... the old bald men I was talking about....

Gaga gets only one alone credit.... but this is common in Modern pop, they get credits just for singing (with auto-tune) LOOK AT BEYONSE, SHE GETS A CREDIT JUST FOR SINGING ON TELEPHONE SEE?

Interesting tidbit: Sal Cinquemani of Slant Magazine called the song (speechless) the lone "dud" from The Fame Monster and others called it a Fraud. Yet I'm sure she didn't actually write that one either. It was supposed to be a "personal" song so they gave her the lone credit. Come on people, learn your pop practices.

Edited by RoyFairbank - May 07 2010 at 22:12
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2010 at 22:11

To all who challenge me:

Lady Gaga also doesn't lip-synch either.  She's in a completely different universe than Britney Spears and the other shallow pop stars you pigeon-hole her into, and I would take her music over 80's AOR any day.

I can't believe that I feel so adamantly about defending Lady Gaga (I really am not a fan,) but I think that some of your attacks are a bit misguided, especially considering you've admitted to only hearing 1% of her music. 
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2010 at 22:15
I think Speechless is the second best song on The Fame Monster (after Teeth.) I don't understand why so many critics panned it.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2010 at 22:16
Originally posted by gottagetintogetout gottagetintogetout wrote:

To all who challenge me:

Lady Gaga also doesn't lip-synch either.  She's in a completely different universe than Britney Spears and the other shallow pop stars you pigeon-hole her into, and I would take her music over 80's AOR any day.

I can't believe that I feel so adamantly about defending Lady Gaga (I really am not a fan,) but I think that some of your attacks are a bit misguided, especially considering you've admitted to only hearing 1% of her music. 

My references to 80s AOR and listening to 1% of her music are tongue-in-cheek, because I realize the humor of my position Tongue but my criticism stands:

For instance, I just proved she doesn't write her own material. We all know from looking at Prog credits what what I posted means.

She almost certainly lip-syncs (on American Idol she did), and absolutely absolutely uses auto-tune and related programs. She's well handled, well created, she's supposed to be "edgy" and aims at a slighty older audience but other than that there is no difference from her and any other Pop Tart

Edited by RoyFairbank - May 07 2010 at 22:20
Epignosis View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2010 at 22:17
I have never heard her music.  Not one bar.

I will say that she intrigues me, however. 

But not enough to be bothered.

I am lazy, you understand.  Sleepy
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2010 at 22:21

For instance, I just proved she doesn't write her own material. We all know from looking at Prog credits what what I posted means.

It's fine that you don't believe she writes any of her own music, but you have an awfully strange definition of "proof."
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2010 at 22:22
Originally posted by Epignosis Epignosis wrote:

I have never heard her music.  Not one bar.

I will say that she intrigues me, however. 

But not enough to be bothered.

I am lazy, you understand.  Sleepy

You've never listened to her music. Okay so your 99% like me in that category. However, mr. big text, what intrigues you about her? You know a previous poster just revealed she's a fake blonde (I think)? That just kills it for me man.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2010 at 22:23
Someone dying their hair for a character kills the music for you?  You have a very strange view on musical quality.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 11>