Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedLady Gaga

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 891011>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2011 at 07:26
Maybe she gets compared to Bowie because she's a great songwriter. 
"One had to be a Newton to notice that the moon is falling, when everyone sees that it doesn't fall. "
boo boo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2011 at 07:36

Naaaaaaaaaaaaaaah.

Equality 7-2521 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2011 at 07:39
She's certainly better than Bjork.
"One had to be a Newton to notice that the moon is falling, when everyone sees that it doesn't fall. "
boo boo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2011 at 07:52
Uhhhhhhhhh.

Edited by boo boo - March 04 2011 at 07:55
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2011 at 07:56
Beethoven himself said he's a fan of the Ga's work.
boo boo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2011 at 07:57

Yeah but Beethoven was f*cking deaf. LOL

Edited by boo boo - March 04 2011 at 08:01
Henry Plainview View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2011 at 08:01
Hahaha, let's not start talking about Bjork again, please.

I don't care much about Gaga either way, but I get upset when people take her nonsensical videos far too seriously. There's feminist writing similar to the gay issues writing those tumblrs are reacting against, but I can't find it easily so whatever. Her videos are just stylish images, and that is all they're meant to be. 
if you own a sodastream i hate you
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2011 at 08:03
I couldn't care either way, but I doubt you know the intent of her videos.
Henry Plainview View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2011 at 08:07
Well I guess I don't, but Lady Gaga and Beyonce murdering a diner and dancing in American flag bikinis is fun, but it's not some deep sh*t about feminism. She strikes me as a fairly intelligent person and I'm assuming she is self-aware enough to realize that. 
if you own a sodastream i hate you
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2011 at 08:12
I agree with you, but I irks me when people assume to know an artist's intention or even assumes that there was an intention.  
boo boo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2011 at 08:20

I'm not taking HER seriously at all. But when she's being called a great artist, then yeah I assume some people are taking it seriously.

I think it's worth debating about, what is it about culture today that says THIS is what constitutes great art for our generation? Huh?

I had my tongue planted firmly in cheek when I called Lady Gaga post modern, though a lot of people would really label her as such.

Postmodenism was based around the idea and need to challenge the ideals of beauty and aestheitcs and what could be art. I'll give Gaga credit on the image side of things, she's definitely trying to challenge what can be defined as sexy.

But in terms of music however. Exactly what is challenging about Gaga's music at all? It's pop music 100%. I don't see how it's post-modern unless it's intentionally ugly pop music. I'm certainly not denying that possibility, but a lot of people seem to think of it as just great catchy pop music. So are they missing the point?

There is stuff I love that can be considered post-modern (especially on the cinema side of things), but I think post-modernism is rather outdated now. We've proven that art can be intentionally ugly if it wants to be and that's ok, so why is it that modern art critics think art is only credible now if it's deliberately ugly? What ever happened to art that can inspire and stimulate you? I fail to even see what's challenging about contemporary art, it's the same old shtick. A guy presented an unside down urinal as art and since then the definition of art has changed dramatically. Art isn't even allowed to be expressive anymore. It's just cold, dry cynicism.

Wasn't the repetitive nature of art what guys like Duchamp were complaining about in the first place?

Edited by boo boo - March 04 2011 at 08:22
Negoba View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2011 at 08:24
She is simply the second coming of Madonna, who I'm sure is the second or third coming of some other performer before my time.
You are quite a fine person, and I am very fond of you. But you are only quite a little fellow, in a wide world, after all.
CPicard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2011 at 08:36
/thread.

No, seriously, stop talking about Lady Gaga, it's becoming an obvious case of forced meme.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2011 at 08:38
Originally posted by CPicard CPicard wrote:

/thread.

No, seriously, stop talking about Lady Gaga, it's becoming an obvious case of forced meme.

I don't tell you to stop talking about music you enjoy.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2011 at 08:39
Originally posted by boo boo boo boo wrote:

I'm not taking HER seriously at all. But when she's being called a great artist, then yeah I assume some people are taking it seriously.

I think it's worth debating about, what is it about culture today that says THIS is what constitutes great art for our generation? Huh?

I had my tongue planted firmly in cheek when I called Lady Gaga post modern, though a lot of people would really label her as such.

Postmodenism was based around the idea and need to challenge the ideals of beauty and aestheitcs and what could be art. I'll give Gaga credit on the image side of things, she's definitely trying to challenge what can be defined as sexy.

But in terms of music however. Exactly what is challenging about Gaga's music at all? It's pop music 100%. I don't see how it's post-modern unless it's intentionally ugly pop music. I'm certainly not denying that possibility, but a lot of people seem to think of it as just great catchy pop music. So are they missing the point?

There is stuff I love that can be considered post-modern (especially on the cinema side of things), but I think post-modernism is rather outdated now. We've proven that art can be intentionally ugly if it wants to be and that's ok, so why is it that modern art critics think art is only credible now if it's deliberately ugly? What ever happened to art that can inspire and stimulate you? I fail to even see what's challenging about contemporary art, it's the same old shtick. A guy presented an unside down urinal as art and since then the definition of art has changed dramatically. Art isn't even allowed to be expressive anymore. It's just cold, dry cynicism.

Wasn't the repetitive nature of art what guys like Duchamp were complaining about in the first place?

Why would musical preference ever possible be worth debating about?
boo boo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2011 at 09:13
I'm not talking about musical preference but artistic merit. Yeah that's also subjective, but it's a healthy topic for debate.

If you think no subjective opinions are worth being compared or dissected why even join a music forum?

Edited by boo boo - March 04 2011 at 09:14
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2011 at 09:17
To sit in the Libertarian thread.
Pastor Rex Cat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2011 at 23:05
Originally posted by UndercoverBoy UndercoverBoy wrote:

Originally posted by A Person A Person wrote:

I don't hate Lady Gaga as much as I do some other pop, that's gotta count for something, right?

I agree.  The fact that she writes all her music and doesn't use auto-tune already puts her miles ahead most other pop stars out there.

I think Justin Beiber writes his own songs as well, so I see hope for the future for these artists.
Question is, how will the song writing develop and will they go in directions away from commercial mass-manufactured pop? Which I've never cared about.
http://revbookburn.blogspot.com/
http://www.youtube.com/user/rexcat
http://www.myspace.com/prxcat

Greetings! And Welcome to The Global Internet Church of Prog!
Hail the Prog and Praise "Bob"!
CPicard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2011 at 15:03
Originally posted by Equality 7-2521 Equality 7-2521 wrote:

Originally posted by CPicard CPicard wrote:

/thread.

I don't tell you to stop talking about music you enjoy.

You should.
boo boo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2011 at 18:42

Nah he shouldn't. Gaga has her fans. This IS the general music section, people should be allowed to talk about whatever they like.

I don't like Gaga. But there's way worse. As been said, I will give her credit for participating in the songwriting process (she doesnt write her songs entirely on her own though) and for having vocal and piano talent, and for being a bit smarter than your usual pop diva.

I still hate her music. I think she wastes her talent. She's the Dream Theater of pop music basically.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 891011>