Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedHigh Tide

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Topic: High Tide
    Posted: May 28 2005 at 17:11
I cannot recommend High Tide enough, at least the original ones. They made two albums in 1969, "Sea Shanties" and "High Tide". The third, "Precious Cargo", was recorded in 1970 but did not appear before 1985! High Tide's trademark is the constant battling between the electric guitar of Tony Hill (ex-Misunderstood) and the electric violin of Simon House (who later went on to Hawkwind and also played on David Bowie's "Lodger" and "Live" albums). The vocals sound a bit like Jim Morrison. Pete Pavli on bass and Rogger Hadden on drums are not the best rhythm section ever but supply a solid fundament for the battles of Hill and House. The first two albums are a strange mix between hard rock, jazz rock, psychedelic, and folk. On the third the psychedelic element takes over, and the hard rock and jazz rock elements vanish almost completely. Not so much battling on the "Precious Cargo", and the whole album is in a more depressive mood, but nevertheless recommended. Tony Hill later continued High Tide with other musicians; the latter albums don't convince me though. But the first three are highly recommended.

Edited by BaldJean
undefinability View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2005 at 00:30

:-/

Eh. . . I listened to them not too long ago, and wasn't that impressed.

Sorry.

"Don't listen to me."

[IMG]http://www.freewebs.com/shahath/shadowid.jpg">
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2005 at 03:35
Originally posted by undefinability undefinability wrote:

Sorry.

You have to see "High Tide" in their time. The albums I was speaking of are from 1969, when prog still wasn't really born yet. Also "High Tide" are not the kind of prog for people who love it to be harmonic and beautiful; they are wild, noisy and distorted. But they definitely were way ahead of their time. And in my opinion no other band was as hard as they were at that time; High Tide are the harbingers of prog metal, which in itself came into existence many many years later.

Hiwatter View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2005 at 05:29
Originally posted by BaldJean BaldJean wrote:

Sorry.

You have to see "High Tide" in their time. The albums I was speaking of are from 1969, when prog still wasn't really born yet. Also "High Tide" are not the kind of prog for people who love it to be harmonic and beautiful; they are wild, noisy and distorted. But they definitely were way ahead of their time. And in my opinion no other band was as hard as they were at that time; High Tide are the harbingers of prog metal, which in itself came into existence many many years later.

Yes, i 100% agree. "Sea Shanties" is the heaviest album of the 60s i think. And Tony Hills guitar playing is way ahead the time. When i listen to his frenetic staccato style, i always winder its from 1969. Great and sadly forgotten guitarist.

undefinability View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2005 at 05:54
Originally posted by BaldJean BaldJean wrote:

Sorry.

Very well, I'll take your word for it and look them up sometime later today.

I'll probably get back to you through a private message, though, rather than clog this thread up with the like.

"Don't listen to me."

[IMG]http://www.freewebs.com/shahath/shadowid.jpg">
salmacis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Content Addition

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2005 at 17:32
I have the eponymous 'High Tide' and I have to say it is truly superb- great, long heavy prog workouts with lots of guitar and violin solos, with great Jim Morrison-esque vocals from Tony Hill.
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2005 at 18:17

Originally posted by salmacis salmacis wrote:

I have the eponymous 'High Tide' and I have to say it is truly superb- great, long heavy prog workouts with lots of guitar and violin solos, with great Jim Morrison-esque vocals from Tony Hill.

Try "Sea Shanties". The self-titled album is tame compared to that one (and one can't really call "High Tide" a tame album!)

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
nacho View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2005 at 10:18

I'm curious about this band: I know (and love) their two first albums (never heard Precious Cargo). Anyway, I know they continued producing some albums, but they are seldom mentioned or found anywhere. Are they that bad?

Anyway, this is a band that should be included in Progarchives ASAP!

wallace View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2005 at 14:27
'igh Tide be 'eavy protoprog.

"Precious Cargo" be live, aimless studio jam. Puir sound.

Pauli & House went to join wiv members o' Crazy World o' Arfur Brown.
Dems alser wert in Micheal Moorcock's DEEP FIX band. (See coverart fer "New World's Fair" wic someain post'd recently inna threid -ah tinks "Controversial music"??)

House wert in MAGIC MUSCLE band wiv Theaker o' Crazy World.

Bassist Adrian Shaw (Magic Muscle, Bevis Frond) ha' interview wiv hissen fav psyche guitarist, Tony Hill, in Perfect Sound Forever magazine.
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2005 at 14:44

Correct, Wallace. I posted the cover of "New World Fair" under "controversial" because some might say it is not prog.

New World's FairI

I like the studio jam of "Precious Cargo".

High Tide - Precious Cargo - Live Jam 1970

Edited by BaldJean

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
gr8dane View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2005 at 16:51
I got'em and lets just say they are an aquired taste.Certainly not bad.But if you are up for a challenge.
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2005 at 18:06
They are certainly not easy listening

abyssyinfinity View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2005 at 12:10
ONE OF THE BEST BAND EVER!
 Post Reply Post Reply