FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedHawkwind and Man - Apr/May 2010

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hawkwind and Man - Apr/May 2010
    Posted: May 14 2010 at 06:56
The gameplan was to stay sober at the Cardiff show, an all-seater affair, and get video clips... and then get nicely slaughtered at the Leamington Spa event a couple of days later.

That all worked ok, except that I put the wrong SD data card in my camera for the Cardiff show, and only had 256 MB of memory to play with, instead of 2 GB. So the longer clips, shot at Leamington Spa, show a distinct deteoriation in steadiness as the afternoon wore on and evening approached.

Cardiff St Davids Hall, 30 Apr 2010

Excellent sound quality, almost hifi. Great to be able to listen to a thread in the sound and look to see who was doing it. I often focussed on Dave Brock, of course.

The number of tracks in the setlist was pruned a fair bit, allowing more time to expand upon each one. A bit like the old "blanga" days, really.

Setlist:

Space is Deep, Angels, Fahrenheit 451, Sentinel, Lighthouse, Green Machine, Wraith, Prometheus, Warrior narrative, Magnu, Tide of the Century, You'd Better Believe It.

Encore: Hassan, Silver Machine

For me, it was the best Hawkwind show since (excluding) the 1989 Treworgey show. So, best show for 21 years is another way of putting it!

A clip from "Angels of Death"

Swansea and Leeds, 1 May

There's no word yet on how the ManBand show went, at Swansea. Hawkwind were playing Leeds that night, and it sounds like folks enjoyed it.

Leamington Spa, 2 May

Hawkwind's "psychedelic sundae" and the lineup included:

Krankshaft (Calvert collaberators) - sample "Lord of the Hornets"
Banco de Gaia - sample "Spirit of the Age"
Man - "Spunk Rock"
Huw Lloyd-Langton (ex-Hawkwind guitarist) - "Waiting for Tomorrow"
Hawkwind - "Prometheus"

Interesting to see Martin Ace's incarnation of Man. Some purists/Micky Jones fans don't regard this outfit as the real deal, but the Hawkwind crowd liked it.

Hawkwind's set was pretty much the same as Cardiff 2 days earlier... being able to move around and drink while watching them was a lot more fun, of course!

--------------------

My previous Hawkwind reviews on this site...

2006 Apr - Exeter
2007 Dec - Exeter
2007 Dec - London, Astoria
2008 Dec - Exeter
2009 Aug - London, Porchester Hall
2009 Dec - Falmouth etc

Edited by sonic_assassin - May 14 2010 at 07:04
GeorgeClement View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2010 at 04:31
The Leamington show was tops. It's a real treat hearing fantastic sound quality watching a great performance in good company AND being able to move around and drink a bit. I hate sit-downs. Saw some band near Yeovil (Green Scythe Fair)  and had this deja vu thing come over me, there I was, back in Leamington - called Bag of Rats or something. Oh well, I'm going to have to earn some festival tokens andboogey with  the Hawk Freaks again soon.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2010 at 15:46
Hi,

You b*****ds get all the good stuff ... around here we only get cheap jazz crap revivals and the worst of all the rock bands you can imagine, not to mention wannabe everythings that have more ego and pants than they do music!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Rabid View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2010 at 17:23
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Hi,

You b*****ds get all the good stuff ... around here we only get cheap jazz crap revivals and the worst of all the rock bands you can imagine, not to mention wannabe everythings that have more ego and pants than they do music!

We like to eat bananas. Wink  Big smile

"...the thing IS, to put a motor in yourself..."
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2010 at 20:34
Originally posted by Rabid Rabid wrote:

Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Hi,

We like to eat bananas. Wink  Big smile

And play with John Cippolina, I'm sure!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
 Post Reply Post Reply