Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Blogs
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - A look at the best prog albums through the years
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedA look at the best prog albums through the years

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2010 at 07:56
Originally posted by refugee refugee wrote:

Scott, did you notice that the 83-poll had exactly 100 votes? Thus 17 votes equaled 17% etc.
Wow, that is a freaky coincidence

I wonder can you count some others and I will post these on the blogs too. I am no good at Maths LOL
AtomicCrimsonRush View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2010 at 08:35

Part 21: Prog Poll through the years 1987

Top 10 - Here is the prog poll for definitive albums of 1987.

A more mainstream sound creeping into prog but these 10 albums still delivered in an ordinary year for prog.

Clutching At Straws – Marillion

Killing Technology – Voivod

Within The Realm of a Dying Sun – Dead Can Dance

Hall Of The Mountain King – Savotage

Hold Your Fire – Rush

Crest of a Knave – Jethro Tull

A Momentary Lapse of Reason – Pink Floyd

Gaudi – Alan Parsons Band

Bi Kyo Ran Live I: Fairy Tales – Bi Kyo Ran

Joe’s Garage Acts I, II and III – Frank Zappa

The results:

21 [25.30%]
1 [1.20%]
3 [3.61%]
3 [3.61%]
7 [8.43%]
7 [8.43%]
21 [25.30%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [1.20%]
11 [13.25%]
8 [9.64%]

The others:

Tyger - Tangerine Dream

Sand – Allan Holdsworth

Big Generator – Yes

Berlin – Art Zoyd

The Perfect Prescription – Spacemen 3

Killing Time - Skip

The poll locked up as you can see for a while:

Clutching At Straws – Marillion

[25.68%]

Killing Technology – Voivod

[1.35%]

Within The Realm of a Dying Sun – Dead Can Dance

[2.70%]

Hall Of The Mountain King – Savotage

[4.05%]

Hold Your Fire – Rush

[8.11%]

Crest of a Knave – Jethro Tull

[8.11%]

A Momentary Lapse of Reason – Pink Floyd

[25.68%]

Marillion and Pink Floyd were battling it out. I would have rather Pink Floyd of the two.

However, this was the second draw and I love both albums so no harm done.

AND THE WINNERS ARE...

FOR THE SECOND TIME, WE HAVE A DRAW!

My Reviews:

A Momentary Lapse of Reason - Pink Floyd

*** 'Momentary Lapse of Reason' is a transitional album as Pink Floyd begins a new chapter.

With Waters out after his egomaniacal 'Final Cut' abomination, which was generally Water's solo album with the stuff that didn't deserve to be on "The Wall", the next album is a real breath of fresh air. Yes, the band were becoming a lot more commercial or radio friendly and why not with the incredible success of the single 'Another Brick in the Wall Part 2'. The single was both a blessing and a curse as the band were never into radio chart success, nor was it their desire, so when success came it came swiftly and mercilessly knocked some of the wind out of the prog sails. The progressive music was taking a back seat to usher in a more AOR style and it is most notable on this release. There was no concept this time rather a bunch of songs that range from excellent to mediocre. This was a change for the better in some ways as at least the band were still capable of excellent compositions despite the massive heave ho of Waters. It begins with 'Signs of life', a slow meandering piece that reminds me somewhat of the intro to 'Shine On'. It builds slowly but is rather forgettable in comparison to other songs on the album.

'Learning to fly' is a brilliant track, my favourite on the album. It works well live also and is atmospheric with lyrics that perfectly capture the exhilaration and dangers of flight. 'The dogs of war' is a 6 minute tribute to the theme of war that the band return to on almost every album. It is certainly a powerful song that reminds me of Gary Numan's 'Call Out the Dogs' everytime. Pink Floyd have mentioned Dogs as war symbols for some time especially on "Animals" but this is their best.

'One slip' is a more poppy song demonstrating the new direction of the band and I only like it due to Gilmour's accomplished vocals but it is definitely a radio friendly sound bound to alienate old Floydians. 'On the turning away' is a slow melancholy piece that grew on me due to constant exposure on live DVDs.

'Yet another movie' is quite forgettable as are the next songs 'Round and round' and 'A new machine Part one' that are thankfully less than 2 minutes in length. 'Terminal frost is a more progressive song thanks to the structure and experimental feel. I love the stark foreboding intro and then the instrumental takes over. It is a wonderful guitar solo with soaring saxophone over a pleasant piano melody.

'A new machine Part two' is a short 38 second interlude to 'Sorrow' clocking 8:46. It boasts one of the all time great guitar intros that always is a showstopper in the live arena. The song is definitely a highlight on this album. In conclusion "Momentary Lapse of Reason" is not half as bad as some Floydians would have you believe. Granted, this is no masterpiece and comes sandwiched in between some amazing Floyd material, namely "The Wall" and "Division Bell", however it is a pleasant well performed journey with some moments of grandeur. It is innovative in places and perhaps more than anything typified the sound of the times, remembering that 1987 was a difficult year for prog bands. Many were wiped out due to the new wave influences so it is admirable that Pink Floyd were somehow able to blend in without selling out completely.

**** Neo-prog progenitors Marillion's followup to the “Misplaced Childhood” masterpiece certainly does not disappoint and features some of the tracks that permeated their live concerts. Fish was a commanding theatrical presence during this early era  and knew how to move an audience through an emotional experience using just the right dramatic intonation and costumes to evoke a response. He was a master vocalist similar to Peter Gabriel in the early Genesis phase.

Musically the band are legendary implementing into the songs intricate structures, the pleasant synths of Mark Kelly, strong melodies held together by the drums of Ian Mosley and the basslines of Pete Trewavas, and of course the powerful lead breaks of Steve Rothery. 

Of course the drawcard is the vocals of Fish; a key element to the brilliance of the early incarnation of the band. The band were the dominant force of the prog 80s. If it were not for bands like Marillion or Rush, prog would have suffered during the difficult 80s period.

Fish story telling vocals are prominent such as on ‘Hotel hobbies’, ‘Warm wet circles’ and ‘That time of the night (The short straw)’. The reverberated guitars and synths generate an ambience as Fish softly croons.

These first 3 tracks flow together seamlessly. Then the first power ballad comes with ‘Going under’. The vocals are exquisite, “I’m going under fast, slipping fast, am I so crazy”, and very spacey symphonic textures draw the listener in.

‘Just for the record’ has a faster tempo and heavier guitars and drums. The 80s synths are everpresent but this also has some heavy distorted guitar. The synth solo is terrific and it has a striking melody. A howling wind begins ‘White Russian’. Fish sings “where do we go from here” until a driving riff motors along and the next verses are sung more forcefully with images of terror, war, poppies on the cenotaph, the holocaust and uzzies on the street corner. Fish sings with insightful conviction “replace our faith in human rights” in this anti-war song that is a highlight on the album. It finishes with a musical box song, a nice touch.

‘Incommunicado’ is one of the fan favourites sung many times live, and it features a prevailing hook, and fast beat with progressive time sig changes. This one is a blockbuster, loud and brash, it breaks through the serenity with some stunning organ runs and Fish at his most roguish, singing aggressively and abrasively.

A quiet guitar begins ‘Torch song’ and Fish is temperate in mood, “burn a little brighter now”. There are some narrative sections over a chiming synth and guitar. It segues directly into the melodic ‘Slàinte Mhath’.Fish is excellent on this, “this is the story so far”, and the guitars of Rothery are hypnotic. The music on this album is truly infectious.  

‘Sugar mice’ is a Marillion classic with very serene passages in the verses and a commercial sound suitable or radio. In fact it was a single for the band. The lyrics are quite iconic, “I heard Sinatra calling me down through the floors”. The power ballads of the 80s are an 80s fixture and this is Marillion’s version. It builds in the mid section with loud lead guitar break, effective bassline and 4/4 percussion. The straight forward feel is welcome after the more intricate songs. The wonderful melody is soaring and easy to soak in to the system.  

‘The last straw’ closes the album and features Fish performing a duet with the powerhouse vocals of Tessa Niles. It closes the album with a soulful approach and the repeated phrase “we’re clutching at straws” is echoed by Niles’ “still drowning”. Thus ends a very effective album with consistent quality and some of Marillion’s best material. 1987was admittedly a weak year for prog but “Clutching at Straws” was one of the saviours as far as prog was concerned.  

Edited by AtomicCrimsonRush - January 07 2012 at 07:38
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2010 at 10:49
Genesis? That's Freudian Big smile 
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2010 at 11:02
Originally posted by octopus-4 octopus-4 wrote:

Genesis? That's Freudian Big smile 
Well spotted! Fixed - thanksEmbarrassed
Rune2000 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2010 at 14:03
Why was the 1977 poll added to the 1978 post?

It's an excellent Blog nonetheless! Clap

Edited by Rune2000 - June 07 2010 at 13:16
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2010 at 14:22
Ugh, if people think that Marillion and Pink Floyd made the best albums of 1987, they're really clutching at straws.  I'd like to blame it on a momentary lapse of reason. ;)

(think I already made that joke in the thread -- oh well).

Ich bin ein Berliner.
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2010 at 14:35
It's not that Clutching at Straws and Mometary Leapse of Reason are incredibly good. It's 1987 that was incredibly poor. However I like them both.
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2010 at 18:06
It's not a strong year according to my collection, even for this avant-prog lover (for my tastes, avant-prog is the strongest category throughout the 80's); however, I do like Art Zoyd's Berlin very much (which was my "other" choice).  Art Zoyd's under-recognised at PA, I feel, but that's according to my taste.

4.19 | 9 ratings
Berlin

I also like Eider Stellaire's III (Zeuhl) a fair amount and some others.
SaltyJon View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2010 at 19:13
Art Zoyd would be appreciated a bit more if their albums weren't so expensive. Dead
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2010 at 01:20
Originally posted by Rune2000 Rune2000 wrote:

Why was the 1977 poll added the 1978 post?

It's an excellent Blog nonetheless! Clap
I can't understand this? Did i add 1977 albums to 1978 poll? I checked that on the PA and it seemed right.

Explain and i can fix

EDIT: OK I found the error! I posted wrong poll in 1978 - Embarrassed

ThanksStar

Edited by AtomicCrimsonRush - May 27 2010 at 05:25
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2010 at 03:35

Part 22: Prog Poll through the years 1988

Top 15 - Here is the prog poll for definitive albums of 1988.

This year saw some of the best prog albums ever and this list is the cream of the crop.

Operation Mindcrime – Queensryche

Dimension Hatross – Voivod

Spirit of Eden – Talk Talk

A Little Man And A House And The Whole World Window – Cardiacs

Transcendence – Crimson Glory

No Exit – Fates Warning

Fates Warning No Exit  album cover

The Serpent’s Egg – Dead Can Dance

L’ultimo Viaggio – Nuovo Era

Once Around The World – It Bites

Catharsis – Visible Wind

The Xenon Codex – Hawkwind

Life Cycle – Sieges Even

Sieges Even - Lifecycle CD (album) cover

You can’t Do That On Stage Anymore Vol 2 – Frank Zappa

The Thieving Magpie La Gazza Ladra - Marillion

And Justice For All – Metallica

The results:

29 [40.85%]
3 [4.23%]
5 [7.04%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [1.41%]
0 [0.00%]
4 [5.63%]
1 [1.41%]
4 [5.63%]
0 [0.00%]
2 [2.82%]
0 [0.00%]
5 [7.04%]
0 [0.00%]
8 [11.27%]
9 [12.68%]

The others:

Kiss My Axe - Al Di Meola

Kevin Ayers - Falling Up

Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son – Iron Maiden

Sliding Gliding Worlds - Ozric Tentacles

An alternative list was posted:

Eno, Brian-Et. Al.    Music for Films III
Frith, Fred    Top of His Head, The
Isham, Mark    Grand Parade, The
Jethro Tull    20 Years of J.T.: Flawed Gems and the Other Sides of Tull
Jethro Tull    20 Years of J.T.: The Essential Tull
Jethro Tull    20 Years of J.T.: The Radio Archives and Rare Tracks
Kaiser, Henry    Those Who Know History Are Doomed To Repeat It
Pere Ubu    Cloudland
Reich, Steve w/ Kronos Quartet & Pat Metheny    Different Trains & Electric Counterpoint
Rypday, Terje    Singles Collection, The
Tangerine Dream    Optical Race
Tibbetts, Steve    Big Map Idea
Vangelis    Direct
Zappa, Frank    Best Band You Never Heard in Your Life, The
Zappa, Frank    Broadway the Hardway     

Queensryche are OUTRIGHT WINNERS! - not much competition though of course, but it is nice to see this album getting the recognition it deserves. This was perhaps the biggest slaughter yet. 

AND THE WINNER IS...

My Review:

***** This is a bonafide masterpiece.

I first heard Queensryche on Progarchives and methodically and systematically collected all their albums after this introduction. Nothing else QR have done can touch this absolutely brilliant concept album. The concert experience on DVD is even better as you can really understand the concept as you watch the visual animation. Geof Tate's vocals are amazing, he has to be one of the most powerful, accomplished vocalists on the planet. Every track on this album is part of the whole but it is possible to enjoy them individually. Here's some quick thoughts on my favourites:

I Remember Now, Anarchy-X and Revolution Calling - what a way to begin an album, with a nurse visiting a patient with vindictive attitude. The guitars crash out of the speakers until we get to the melodic, metal 'Revolution Calling'. It has such a catchy chorus it is impossible to forget. Operation: Mindcrime - simply a great song that sums up the main themes of the album. Speak - my favourite track, once heard, never forgotten, and Tate is brilliant on this, he performs so well in concert too as if he is the victim and is reliving the storyline. Spreading The Disease - another very good track with high powered vocals and great lead breaks. A concert favourite I noticed too. Suite Sister Mary - I love the way it changes time signature and the female vocals are very well executed, in particular the performance on stage is a sight to behold. The Needle Lies - a classic track that is once again a popular concert track. Breaking The Silence - has a Def Leppard feel, as its radio friendly, but it still has powerful guitars from Chris De Garmo.

I Don't Believe In Love - the single from the album ready for radio airplay. Very catchy and the lyrics are powerful. You will find it on the QR compilations.

Eyes Of A Stranger - an excellent way to end the concept album. Very memorable and wonderful musicianship.

I will not waste any time with this review. If you do not have this. Get to the CD store now and grab it. It knocked me out when I first heard it and it is comparable to other great prog concept albums such as PF's The Wall. The second part to this OM concept was recently released and is great but does not hold a candle to this.

I say it again, 'Operation Mindcrime' is simply a masterpiece.

Edited by AtomicCrimsonRush - October 20 2014 at 06:16
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2010 at 05:53

Part 23: Prog Poll through the years 1989

Top 15 - Here is the prog poll for definitive albums of 1989.

Prog was suffering again and this is the best of the bad bunch.

Perfect Symmetry – Fates Warning

Naked City - Naked City

Reflections – 2066 & Then

Nothingface – Voivod

Passion – Peter Gabriel

Control and Resistance – Watchtower

Sacred Baboon – Yezda Urfa

Gutter Ballet – Savatage

The Girl Who Was... Death – Devil Doll

Season’s End – Marillion

Pungent Effulgent – Ozric Tentacles

When Dream and Day Unite – Dream Theater

Anderson, Bruford, Wakeman and Howe - Anderson, Bruford, Wakeman and Howe

Presto – Rush

The Best and The Rest of - Atomic Rooster

The results:

5 [6.58%]
3 [3.95%]
0 [0.00%]
4 [5.26%]
8 [10.53%]
1 [1.32%]
5 [6.58%]
2 [2.63%]
4 [5.26%]
9 [11.84%]
6 [7.89%]
0 [0.00%]
20 [26.32%]
3 [3.95%]
1 [1.32%]
5 [6.58%]

The Others:

Gretchen Goes to Nebraska - Kings X

Kings X Gretchen Goes to Nebraska album cover  

Disintegration – The Cure

The Portrait Of A Boy - Horizont

CDBMR 008153

I posted:

Great voting proggers, but this was a ridiculous year for prog and Anderson, Bruford, Wakeman, and Howe are winners easily! 

AND THE WINNER IS...

My review is coming eventually:

Edited by AtomicCrimsonRush - October 20 2014 at 06:23
halabalushindigus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2010 at 02:49
all I can say is AtomicCrimsonRush, you have made your mark. Well done

assume the power 1586/14.3
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2010 at 04:27
Originally posted by halabalushindigus halabalushindigus wrote:

all I can say is AtomicCrimsonRush, you have made your mark. Well done
Thank you!!!!

Welcome to my obssession.Wink

This is my magnum opus right here.LOL I have spent months on this. It replaces my prog webpage that has never come to fruition and never will now. 

Glad people are enjoying it. I certainly learnt a massive amount on prog and will systematically attempt to review these albums eventually. Well, that is my long term ambition. It could take yearsTongue
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2010 at 06:27
Have done some editing - posted bigger pictures of albums on the polls - it looks way better. New reviews posted too.

Edited by AtomicCrimsonRush - May 28 2010 at 06:33
Certif1ed View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2010 at 06:04
Wow - I'm both amazed and delighted that Master of Puppets was runner-up for 1986.

It's great to see reviews that observe the Prog credentials.

I hate to say "I told you so..."

Oh wait.

No, I don't  LOL

...Radiohead, Queen, etc, etc, etc

Edited by Certif1ed - June 09 2010 at 06:07
The important thing is not to stop questioning.
squire4001 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2010 at 20:55
You have made a great collection of amazing albums of every decade..
I cant wait for the next compilation of 90´s albums!
Great stuff dude! Clap
Prog´ everyday in every way of your life including music!
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2010 at 03:42
Originally posted by squire4001 squire4001 wrote:

You have made a great collection of amazing albums of every decade..
I cant wait for the next compilation of 90´s albums!
Great stuff dude! Clap
Thanks so much

Yes I have been contemplating those and not sure where to start as they are still polling but soon, perhaps at end of month I will start them.

halabalushindigus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2010 at 14:13
I guess you realize that you have slayed us, acr, and we will never be the same

assume the power 1586/14.3
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2010 at 23:40

Part 24: Prog Poll through the years 1990

Top 15 - Here is the prog poll for definitive albums of 1990.

A poor year for prog in a new decade but there were some treasures and a new genre with technical extreme metal as this list shows.

Amarok – Mike Oldfield

A Social Grace – Psychotic Waltz

Slow Dance – Anthony Phillips

Overground Music – After Crying

Erpland – Ozric Tentacles

Vigil In A Wilderness Of Mirrors – Fish

Empire – Queensryche

U Totem – U Totem

Velha Gravura – Quaterna Requiem

Quaterna Requiem (Wiermann &amp; Vogel) Velha Gravura  album cover

The Wood of Tales – Malibran

Dirge – Mr Sirius