Topic ClosedProcol Harum Topp 10 songs

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Procol Harum Topp 10 songs
    Posted: May 19 2010 at 18:16
I have become a Procol Harum addict (probably worst things to get on your brain) I have all their classic albums 67 until 77 and enjoy them more an more some more then other but the more time the songs digs in the more I enjoy them. they have so much subtle details which sneeks in your unconsios, and I will bet my leg on that My chemical romance (im not a fan of them) have listen to some PH in their yonger years.

this is my third post regarding this band (probably the last in some time) but they have become my new love, thier rich, layerd song's, blues, classical, psychadelic and even some brass,

I have a hard time picking 10 myself since im not heard all of their albums though and through but right now lets see

1. Grand Hotel (gives me tairs in my eyes when the choral part are intrduced
2. Wreck of the Hesperus (love Fishers voice, )
3. Simple Sister
4. Song of a Dreamer
5. A whiter Shade of Pale (have anyone heard this beforeShocked)
6. a Salty dog
7. Something Magic
8. In Held (not the gratest in all it parts but a strong song )
9. poor  Mohammed (well im week for southern delta rock guitars, i can smell the dust, and see the tumbleweed.
10. Fires and All this and More (I cheated)

this might change but for now this is it Embarrassed

richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2010 at 01:44
Don't really now enough about them to do a top ten but I'll have a stab at a top five:
1 A Salty Dog
2 In Held
3 Homberg
4 Pandora's Box
5 A Whiter Shade Of Pale
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2010 at 17:15
Seriously, seriously thought more then one could managed to make something that looks like a list of favourite songs, people here can make up a favourite 10 out of bands like Tool and Mastodon which have like four albums released. or other bands more obscure (whom I would sure like to investigate closer if I had found them on my local record store), but I though it is strange as to one of the most original prog bands who have a totaly unique aproach to rock and prog.

I remember the thread about PH invented Goth rock, they pobably did not, but they have gothic thematics which are pretty clare, and I'm not talking about that lether dressed, black haird gloomy creatures, like those  Marilyn Manson lokkalikes. but actual goth which are from the victorian era (i belive) or are sort of an revival of victorian literature,

Personly i fing PH music magical and have enough texture so albums I though of as meeeeeh first time listen now i LOVE them and I recomenf that process, they are as magical as GG, KC, Yes or whatever band, only that these guys Brooker/Reid and coperation had class and style and Brooker have an H***l of a voice, much like Randy Newman. great rockers and fantastic symph and organ work, but also incredible drums (as many others have noticed).

I also Love Matthew Fishers voice esspessially he's part on In Held, brilliant.

I allowe you to compromise your list to min 5 songs (but sure 10 is more fun) and contribute some words and analysis so there can be some revival interest for this band. so that they got more reward for making great tunes and not only as the one who made that one hit:
jammun View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2010 at 21:12

Here's a few of my favorites, first four albums only, because it's been too long since I've owned anything past those.

From the first:

Whiter Shade of Pale (technically not on the first album, but it's there now)
Repent Walpurgis
A Christmas Camel

From the second:

In Held Twas In I

From the third:

Crucification Lane
Pilgrim's Progress

From the fourth:

Whisky Train
Still There'll Be More

The riff from Simple Sister (from the fifth) is still embedded in my brain, though I haven't heard it in many years.

Can you tell me where we're headin'?
Lincoln County Road or Armageddon.
AtomicCrimsonRush View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2010 at 03:51
Heres my review for Secrets Of The Hive
my fave songs are in the review

check it out

4 stars Best compilation of true legends of early prog.

I had to get hold of at least one Procol Harum and this seemed as good as any. What a delightful feast of early Crossover Prog it is. So contrary to popular belief the great PH are not a one hit wonder with 'Whiter Shade Of Pale' but have a plethora of tasty delicacies that transcend all expectations. All their classics are here from their most celebrated essential albums. Highlights from CD1 include 'Quite Rightly So', 'Broken Barricades', 'Salty Dog' and 'Beyond The Pale'. The psych prog of 'Into The Flood' and 'Repent Walpurgis' is astounding music.

The second CD begins with the instrumental gem 'Homburg' and the weird and delightful 'She Wandered Through The Garden Fence'. 'Shine On Brightly' is from that album and is a definitive track as is 'Conquistador'. My favourite of the CD is 'Grand Hotel' that is structured like no other PH, complete with shimmering Hammond and effective theatrical vocals. It is orchestrated with real orchestra playing real instruments and captures a symphonic wall of sound paving the way for The Moody Blues and Emerson Lake & Palmer. 'Pandora's Box' is a delight also as is 'Weisselklenzenacht'. Headphone music bliss.

Every track features the keyboards and very sporadic drumming. There is some excellent material here lifted from a wide range of PH's discography. Not everything jumps out and bites me but there is enough here to hold interest and it is a compelling and fascinating diverse compilation. The booklet that comes with it is full of stories and a condensed history of this eclectic group. The packaging is a real feature that opens out with a nice photo of the band and many colour photos show the historical lineups and styles of band members.

There are a lot of compilations but this seems to be the most complete of the band. There are even some unreleased tracks such as live renditions of tracks, making this a must have for completists and as a starting point for anyone interested in the bands prolific imprint on prog, look no further.

Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2010 at 04:26
Knowing me, you can expect I won't stop at10 and won't class them in any kind of order

BUT:

here are my faves (all from the first era of the group >> until Broken Barricades >> not a fan of the later albums)

Whiter Shade Of Pale

Conquistador
Cerdes (outside the gate of)
Repent Walpurgis

Skip Softly (My Moonbeams)
In Held Twas in I

A Salty Dog
Wreck of the Hesperus
All This and More
Crucifiction Lane

The Dead Man's Dream
About to Die