Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedBest Kate Bush "clone" ?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Poll Question: Who is the best KB "clone" ?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
2 [15.38%]
1 [7.69%]
1 [7.69%]
9 [69.23%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Best Kate Bush "clone" ?
    Posted: May 21 2010 at 02:30
Tough choice, all 3 are great singers (for those who don't know Maï, she is the voice of the RIO/Zappa-inspired band Hardscore).

This poll is actually intended to discuss singers with a voice similar to Kate Bush, so if you know others than the ones listed in teh poll, please feel free to share their name.
"Magma was the very first gothic rock band" (Didier Lockwood)
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2010 at 02:52
I wouldn't say that Tori Amos' voice has similarity to that of Kate Bush, but her music does.
I don't know the other two, so I can't vote.
seventhsojourn View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2010 at 03:05
Heart Nerina Pallot... not a Kate Bush clone, but certainly influenced by her.  
Textbook View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2010 at 03:50
I'm a big Bush/Amos fan but I don't even know the other too.

Amos doesn't sing like Bush, but she writes vocal parts and lyrics like her.
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2010 at 04:52
Happy Rhodes.  She's amazing.  She has a two range voice she can turn like the flip of a switch.  One voice is just like Kate Bush, the other is just like Annie Lennox.  The music is good too.  Check her out. 

http://www.frazzledglispa.com/FrazzledGlispa.com/Meaningless_Blather/Entries/2007/8/11_Current_iTunes_Track_-_Happy_Rhodes_-_Many_Worlds_Are_Born_Tonight_files/shapeimage_1.png

Edited by Finnforest - May 21 2010 at 04:54

Chris S View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2010 at 05:01
Tori ain't no clone, she is damn fine in her own rightApprove
<font color=Brown>Music - The Sound Librarian

...As I venture through the slipstream, between the viaducts in your dreams...[/COLOR]
Kotro View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2010 at 06:24
Originally posted by Finnforest Finnforest wrote:

Happy Rhodes.  She's amazing.  She has a two range voice she can turn like the flip of a switch.  One voice is just like Kate Bush, the other is just like Annie Lennox.  The music is good too.  Check her out. 

http://www.frazzledglispa.com/FrazzledGlispa.com/Meaningless_Blather/Entries/2007/8/11_Current_iTunes_Track_-_Happy_Rhodes_-_Many_Worlds_Are_Born_Tonight_files/shapeimage_1.png

If it's clones we're talking about, I wouldn't include Happy in this group - even though Kate is a huge influence on her. Her compositions are a lot more minimalistic and her vocal range a lot more diverse than Kate's. She doesn't imitate, which is what clones do, and manages to create a very different act altogether.  
Bigger on the inside.
harmonium.ro View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2010 at 06:27
I see this thread in a new light since I've heard about the creation of artificial life (see Moris' threadLOL

Edited by harmonium.ro - May 21 2010 at 06:29
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2010 at 06:51
As the only one of the multitude of female singers compared with Kate Bush to actually bear much similarity, Florence and the Machine is by far the best. Not particularly similar vocal wise but compare some of the tracks on "Lungs" with something like "Sat in our Lap".

Vocally and musically speaking, the latest Joanne Newsom CD is a clone of "The Kick Inside".
lucas View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2010 at 07:57
^
I used the word "clone" for a lack of other word. I meant actually Kate Bush-like vocals, not necessarily similar musically speaking.

And Finnf. is right about Happy Rhodes.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2010 at 09:05
Originally posted by Kotro Kotro wrote:

If it's clones we're talking about, I wouldn't include Happy in this group - even though Kate is a huge influence on her. Her compositions are a lot more minimalistic and her vocal range a lot more diverse than Kate's. She doesn't imitate, which is what clones do, and manages to create a very different act altogether.  
Doesn't imitate? On many songs she sounds exactly like Kate Bush not just similar. Aside from the musical vocal characteristic simularities (intonation, diction, phrasing etc) Bush sings in an English accent, which is unusual for pop singers - when using her "Kate Bush" voice, Rhodes does too (unlike Amos, who always keeps her American accent, even though she's lived and recorded in the UK for many years now). On many of Rhode's songs where she uses both of her normal singing voices it sounds like she's duetting with Bush. (eg "Temporary & Eternal" from Equipoise or "Big Dreams, Big Life" from Building The Colossus). Musically Rhodes is nothing like Bush or Amos (however I feel there are some simularities to Peter Gabriel in some of her songs).

Anyway, my favorite Bush/Amos clone is Jemima Price: http://www.myspace.com/jemimaprice
My Photos | Jemima Price | Jemima Price

What?
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2010 at 09:15
This thread really bites because while I know Kate and Tori's stuff well, I'm being given a whole bunch of other artists I should check out. LOL

Edited by Slartibartfast - May 21 2010 at 09:15
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

lucas View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2010 at 09:29
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

Originally posted by Kotro Kotro wrote:

Doesn't imitate? On many songs she sounds exactly like Kate Bush not just similar. Aside from the musical vocal characteristic simularities (intonation, diction, phrasing etc) Bush sings in an English accent, which is unusual for pop singers - when using her "Kate Bush" voice, Rhodes does too (unlike Amos, who always keeps her American accent, even though she's lived and recorded in the UK for many years now). On many of Rhode's songs where she uses both of her normal singing voices it sounds like she's duetting with Bush. (eg "Temporary & Eternal" from Equipoise or "Big Dreams, Big Life" from Building The Colossus). Musically Rhodes is nothing like Bush or Amos (however I feel there are some simularities to Peter Gabriel in some of her songs).

Anyway, my favorite Bush/Amos clone is Jemima Price: http://www.myspace.com/jemimaprice
My Photos | Jemima Price | Jemima Price

Great !

musically-speaking it reminds me of Necko Case and the late Eva Cassidy, both great voices.

Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2010 at 09:32
Kotro, I did not mean Happy is a "clone" of Kate.  Nobody can clone Kate as far as I'm concerned.  I took the thread to be about artists of a similar sounding voice to Kate, which Happy possesses when she wants to. 

Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2010 at 10:06
Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

This thread really bites because while I know Kate and Tori's stuff well, I'm being given a whole bunch of other artists I should check out. LOL
I'm surprised you haven't availed yourself of a little Happy-ness by now Brian - highly recommended Big smile
What?
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2010 at 14:13
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

I'm surprised you haven't availed yourself of a little Happy-ness by now Brian - highly recommended Big smile

Well, I guess I'm going to have to become a Rhodes scholar.

I just ordered three.  If I don't like them I will track everyone down and do mean things to each of you.Tongue

Edited by Slartibartfast - May 21 2010 at 15:47
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

lucas View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2010 at 14:53
^
Happy Rhodes is an amazing singer !
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2010 at 21:06
Actually Tori really plays piano more like Kate, her singing style is somewhat like Joni Mitchell's, only livelier and more fiery.  Joanna Newsom sounds closest to Kate, from the ones I haven't heard (and haven't heard any of those other names).
lucas View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2010 at 07:30
Wow, someone voted for Maï !
Glad to see that someone else know and appreciates the prog band Hardscore !
andeehunt View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2010 at 01:34

Tori Amos has been the most prominent Kate Bush clone in recent history. She has been ripping off of Kate. Her music sounds exactly like Kate Bush in every way, including the topics. Tori dyes her hair red to look different, but she is a natural brunette. Just like Kate. She probably mimics Kate’s bush too, but Kate’s is obviously more majestic and stylish.

Edited by andeehunt - May 24 2010 at 01:35
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>